Movie Defense Force: Street Fighter

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Street Fighter

This week's Movie Defense Force stands before you and takes on Street Fighter ... LIKE LIGHTNIIIIIIIING!

Watch Video

I know what I'm watching tonight.

I disliked Street Figher. I loved SFII at the time when I watched the movie in the cinema when it was first released. I was appalled at how it was nothing like the game.
I never even really disliked Van Damme, but I still hate(d) the movie.

I never found the fun in it either. Which I guess is my loss.

Also, I've noticed that liking Raul Julia in this movie is another of those internet memes.
If someone were to voice an opinion saying they didn't and this message board had down-vote capabilities, they'd get downvoted into oblivion. Just a thing I noticed.

Brainless fun back when it was made. Brainless fun 10 years ago. Brainless fun now. Raul Julia was such a great actor. Shame that this and Adams family were the only things that I could remember him for. As for Jean Claude Van Damme, enough said.

It saddened me that it was Raul Julia's last movie. It seemed like he was at a point in his career where he felt he had made the case for being a great thespian and, having proved that point, could now take roles like M. Bison or Gomez Adams just to have fun.

Well this allows me to pull out a particular video, if you were ever unsure about watching this film.

Also, for film nerds, the dude with the eyepatch played Magua in Last of the Mohicans.

I was wondering when you were going to get around to Street Fighter, Jim. And I'm glad you did. Every time I find Street Fighter playing on TV, I can't help but tune in. Despite all of its flaws, it has some weird charm that draws me in like a moth to a flame. Part of that is due to Raul Julia's performance. It's a shame he left us too soon but he definitely put his all into this movie and I've got to applaud him for making chicken salad out of chicken shit.

Plus he gave us a mountain of Internet memes and quotes that will endure as long as there is an Internet.

YES!! This is the one movie I was hoping would be covered on an episode.

Missed the best line in the movie.

Not "It was Tuesday", Not "Of Course!" but...

Isn't this series supposed to be about bad movies? *wink*wink*nudge*nudge*

Well, while we're all linking in the Ral Julia related material...

You can thank me later X3

Im surprised Jim didn't include "Of Course"

Soviet Heavy:
Well this allows me to pull out a particular video, if you were ever unsure about watching this film.

Also, for film nerds, the dude with the eyepatch played Magua in Last of the Mohicans.

He was also the Na'vi King in Avatar as well. I also believe he was in Dances With Wolves. Basically, he's a Native American in almost every movie where a Native American role is needed, yet he plays Sagat so well, it's scary.

OT: I LOVE Street Fighter. For Jim (if you read this), the Podtoid movie commentary of this film is what got me into Destructoid, which has to be a nice feather in the old crew's caps, and I had a point where I listened to it with regularity, regardless of the movie being on or not.

I've done a review of this movie and defended it for the same reasons you did. It's a silly movie, but compared to Double Dragon, or most video game movies, it's actually quite fun. When I was a little kid (I was five when it came out), I didn't like it that much, but M. Bison, even as a youth, was my favorite part of the movie (His 'Like Lightning!' scene is amazing. Very few actors now could replicate that kind of emotion as sincerely as Raul Julia did).

Nostalgia be damned, it's an great movie. I own it on VHS, and I'm half tempted to put it on and watch it now. Great MDF episode.

i enjoyed this when i was younger and i do not do drugs. (the movie).
i was a big fan boy.

Super Mario Bros. is going to show up on this show, isn't it? I mean, he seems to be doing all the dumb video game movies, so why not?

I saw this movie only recently, but I unironically enjoyed it very much.

It certainly is not the worst movie to star Raul Julia (that would be Overdrawn At the Memory Bank)

NameIsRobertPaulson:
Missed the best line in the movie.

Not "It was Tuesday", Not "Of Course!" but...

Hehehehehehehehahahahahohohohohochchchchchchch. That still gets me XD

This is a very clever analysis of Street Fighter, Jim. That Tuesday line got me thinking it inspired a lot of similar lines, and Raul Julia could always be relied upon to eat up the scenery. That fact he took this role for his kids makes him one of the best dads EVER.

captcha: one hit wonder
I suppose that doesn't describe anyone from this movie, does it?

This IS one of the worst movies ever made. What stops it from being THE worst is another SF movie with that girl from Smallvile...

Watched this one last week and really liked it.

One thing I kept wondering about though was where Fei Long was, and after reading up a bit on the movie I saw that he had been turned into another character (Capt. Sawada). I thought about it for a while and decided that it was probably for the better, because otherwise they would have risked having a Bruce Lee clone in a movie that already had two big personalities (van Damme and Juliá).

I just realized how similar to "Enter the Dragon" the plot of this movie is

MonkeyPunch:
I disliked Street Figher. I loved SFII at the time when I watched the movie in the cinema when it was first released. I was appalled at how it was nothing like the game.
I never even really disliked Van Damme, but I still hate(d) the movie.

I never found the fun in it either. Which I guess is my loss.

Also, I've noticed that liking Raul Julia in this movie is another of those internet memes.
If someone were to voice an opinion saying they didn't and this message board had down-vote capabilities, they'd get downvoted into oblivion. Just a thing I noticed.

I guess I will be the brave one. I did not like Raul Julia in this movie nor did I like him in The Adam's Family. I just don't enjoy watching the guy act. How ever, he had some great lines for sure.

This is really the first time I have disagreed with Jim but I was still very much entertained.

Liked it back then on VHS!
Had the full sized movie poster in my room for a long time, as I got it somehow and had nothing else to grace the walls ;)

Movie Defense Force: Street Fighter

Just when I thought my respect for you couldn't get any bigger, this happens. This movie is a never ending guilty pleasure for me. I saw it in theaters when I was a kid and I even loved the game it spawned on the PS1/Saturn/arcade. There was something deliciously horrible about playing a game based on a movie based on a game... with sprites of live actors based on characters who were all made in Japan. It was mindless video game joy; being able to play as Raul Julia and fight my friends XD

There is a reason they don't make movies like this anymore - this movie is exhibit A.

I'd like to see Jim's take on Batman & Robin, assuming he doesn't think it's an insult to everything Batman, of course. Seems to fit right in with the same style of "That's so 90's!" that this has. :D

Never seen Street Fighter, but I've always wondered how people could rationalize getting so angry over character portrayals in adaptations of those old fighting games. Sure, the characters occasionally have text boxes or manuals that describe their back-story and personality, but it's not like any of that was ever actually carried over into the Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat games.

daxterx2005:
Im surprised Jim didn't include "Of Course"

Yeah, I was waiting for that the entire time. In any case it was still a good episode :P

Jim why must you taunt me during finals week. Now I have to resist rewatching street fighter again. Such a fun guilty pleasure. :)

Finally, a Movie Defense Force I can get behind... on Tuesdays.

Aardvaarkman:
Finally, a Movie Defense Force I can get behind... on Tuesdays.

For you, the day Jim Sterling defended Street Fighter was the most important day in your life...

For Jim, it was a Tuesday, if Tuesday was a Thursday.

And here-here Mr. Sterling. Julia alone would be strong enough to say why this movie isn't terrible, and as a whole it doesn't take nearly as many drastic and unnecessary liberties as "Legend of Chun Li" did with the IP. Bison in that movie was terribly weak, and the confrontation between him and Chun Li was pathetic at best.

This one though? No contest...!

Plus there is all the fun little cameos as well, as if I remember right T-Hawk actually shows up in the invasion of Bison's base. And the "giant monster"-styled part of the fight between Zangief and Honda...?

As an arcade regular, I hated this movie. Soon as I got older and developed a taste for cheese, the film grew on me. Like mildew.

I can honestly understand both the hatred and love for this thing - I think I'm more in the disappointed camp that it could've been better. It sounds crazy, but I am convinced beyond all doubt that there could a Street Fighter movie that's not only good, but actually artistically and philosophically interesting, and I believe it stems from Ryu's relationship to Akuma.

shrekfan246:
Never seen Street Fighter, but I've always wondered how people could rationalize getting so angry over character portrayals in adaptations of those old fighting games. Sure, the characters occasionally have text boxes or manuals that describe their back-story and personality, but it's not like any of that was ever actually carried over into the Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat games.

Not quite. With Mortal Kombat, Kano was originally Japanese. His nationality (and designed) was recently changed to Australian in honor of the actor who played him in the first movie (I believe he passed away). Lo and behold, it worked. By jove it fucking worked.

Ral Julia's performance as M. Bision by itself justifies this movie.

This is one of those "So bad it's good" movies that I can and will pop in towards the tail end of a party when everyone has had a few more beers than they should and the only people left are the friends who can't overstay their welcome.

It's dumb as a bag of hammers but still a fun movie.

With all that said I will go on record without a hint of irony or hyperbole that M. Bison's "Tuesday" line is one of the greatest villain lines of all time.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here