Zero Punctuation: Metro: Last Light

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

ramboondiea:

gamegod25:
What irked me the most about the game is the inclusion of what can only be called boss fights. The first game didn't have any and that was perfectly fine by me. Instead this time you get locked in an area and not allowed to leave until the monster is dead. This resulted in some controller throwing during one fight because I happened to be down to my last air filter and I kept suffocating before rather than dying to the actual boss. Oh and did I mention all the bosses take an entire armory of bullets to put down? And that this is is a game about scrounging and saving supplies so ammo is always scarce? And that one boss you have to fight twice in a row with only a short tunnel between arenas and barely any supply pickups? So...yeah :/

The atmosphere and detail to the world is absolutely fantastic, the core gameplay is still solid and fun, but it gets bogged down by issues like that mentioned above. Give it a rent at the very least ^^

you sure the first game didnt have boss fights? really? i seem to remember the tank section, arguably the black librarians, the nuclear ooze monster. gameplay wise this game is basically the same, but with a little bit more linearity in terms of completing the areas.

Yes but at least in 2033 they had some variety and a more natural part of the game. In Last Light the boss fights felt very transparent and dull because most of them were arena fights against bullet sponges. It just felt lazy and shoved in because they needed to pad the game.

I'm finding Metro Last Light far too linear. It is almost exactly STALKER crossed with Call of Duty, i.e. the atmosphere/setting of STALKER but with the on rails linearity of CoD. Definitely prefer the STALKER sandbox approach to this type of game.

The writer of that novel has also written for both games.
He recently said that computer game stories were all shit and, for writing a story, you should call the real authors.
He's wrong, because there are good computer game stories available - Valve - but I know exactly what he means:
Compared to a CoD backstory his own work must seem Pulitzer-worthy to him.
Only then to get all on his high-horse about it seems very un-humble, unsympathetic even.

themilo504:
Personally I kind of like public transport, does anybody know if public transport is better in the Netherlands compared Australia?

Public transport in Sydney Australia is actually quite good, they've almost finished phasing out the old trains and only have air conditioned trains, most of them are modern ones (Millenium/OSCAR/Warratah classes). Having said that there is room for improvement as far as how crowded it can get during peak hour, then again that's probably public transport everywhere.

themilo504:
Personally I kind of like public transport, does anybody know if public transport is better in the Netherlands compared Australia?

I live in Japan. Public transport is absolutely amazing.

I have played both games, and Last Light is very much a follow in footstep of the first. But much better at walking. Its fantastic. Though, I wouldnt mind seeing a Multiplayer being added on. The shooting is solid enough, and the guns attachments could give a little customization. It would prolong the life of it a little. That aside, Im looking forward to the guaranteed Single player DLC they are planning on.

I love that Yahtzee included those russian bits, it's a nice touch. Although, google translate is not always correct. In the last bit it would have made more sense to say "Всем всё равно" instead of "Никто не заботится". It doesn't sound quite right to a native speaker as that particular expression holds a slightly different connotation in russian then it does in english.

erttheking:

karamazovnew:
snip

Why Nazis? Because in reality Russia has the highest concentration of Neo-Nazis in Europe. In the book it's even mentioned that they descended from an IRL group.

I did not expect that... I was expecting neo-communists, but not neo-nazis. Do they know that the old Nazis used to see them as sub-human and not worth the bullet cost? I will actually look more into this, thanks for the news ;)

nitrium oxide:
I'm finding Metro Last Light far too linear. It is almost exactly STALKER crossed with Call of Duty, i.e. the atmosphere/setting of STALKER but with the on rails linearity of CoD. Definitely prefer the STALKER sandbox approach to this type of game.

It is a lot more like Half-life. BTW, there are MANY secrets :)

I think Yahtzee needs to turn down the gain on his mic a bit, things got a bit loud in this one.

I say we give it all the modren warfare players if they all chew their arms off then no one will be able to play those shitty games thus that series will cese to exist >:D

Akichi Daikashima:

And I too, felt that the supernatural elements lost a crap-ton of meaning when they actually happened to be true and not ambiguous, ie: when Artyom was proceeding to Riga station both in the game and in the novel, it was never explained whether it was other-wordly powers that caused everyone to die/go insane, which built up the tension and made the Metro seem like a creepier place.

My memory is a bit foggy so I could be wrong, but from what I remember the book stated that there was a gas leak in that section of the metro, which caused depression, hallucinations and with prolonged exposure - death (ofcourse the characters don't know that and the readers only find out after its finished).

Akichi Daikashima:

But in Last Light, and in 2033(the book) too, they decided to say "Oh, there ARE ghosts in the Metro, Artyom IS psychic", which killed the suspense and mystery somewhat.

I'm pretty sure (at least as far as the book goes) its not Artyom who is psychic, its the monsters communicating with him who are psychic. Except they don't control their psychic abilities very well and instead of saying "Hello we come in peace everybody" they make everybody panic.
Similar to how professor X from X-men is psychic but not everyone with whom he speaks telepathically is a psychic (which is a close comparison, since from what I gather those "monsters" are just humans who mutated on the surface).

And not a single mention of all the boobs? You disappoint me Yahtzee...
OT- Just beat it today. Really solid game, but a little short.

I think this thread really went *puts on sunglasses* off the rails.

Anyway, like I stated in a earlier comment: real boring games don't excite me, or the world is so huge (like in Fallout 3) then it's worth the time running around in such games. But from what I understand is more of a rail shooter (rail, LOL). So I won't be spending time on a game like this. Maybe next time the developers should ask if they could license the Bethesda Creation Engine?

Has anyone mentioned that the Moscow metro system was built specifically to double as a nuclear bomb shelter? It would make sense as a setting. They probably have already.

Iceklimber:

Zombine3D:
the russian writing sez: "americans are dead and no one cares"

The second does it and the firest says "Various russian words"

we are both right, what i said was in the end, and you - somewere in middle

Gather round the flaming barrel of garbage children, and let me tell you a story about two young boys who went on a wonderful quest. Well, actually they were young men, and they quit GSC Gameworld just before Stalker was released. Then got funding and formed 4A Games (no relation). These two were the ones that apparently were responsible for all the wonderful atmosphere in Stalker, as the following two games in that series were devoid of it (though mods have corrected that). Unfortunately, with the release of Metro: LL, they have demonstrated that while they may have their own company, they are mostly fixated on atmosphere.

2033 was linear, short, mediocre economy (claims ammo is rare, but fails to make it rare), and the stealth at times was broken (walk through a crowd and you are invisible as long as you do not make eye contact). So just like M$ they promoted those to features, and included them with LL (2034). There are times when stealth does work, but between the lack of opportunity to use it, and the lack of need for it, you almost have to do a play-through with that as a goal. The addition of weapon customization is nice, but more of a gimmick given the brevity of the game. While it is an improvement is some regards, it is stagnant in many others (especially graphical), which makes it average at best.

Two things of special note is that if you load the Russian voices, be warned that the subtitles were not finished at the time of release (and will probably never be). So hearing Russian is very cool, but if you never know WTF they are saying, it is pretty pointless. Now it appears that they did prioritize them so all the major dialogue has subs, but much of the background chatter does not. The second is that if you wanted the Ranger mode, they classified it as DLC and want another $5 for it. Yep, screwing you for $60 US was not enough for such a short game with virtually no replay given that 90% is linear, but they call a difficulty setting DLC. They claim it makes the game harder by limiting ammo, but if you have played it once then you know what is around the corner, and the ammo is still falling out of your pockets. I guess the next thing will be Saving at checkpoints or bug fixes as DLC.

The good news is that this will probably be the last as better games are coming. The first is the MMO Survarium, by the members of GSC but without the dick (owner) that embezzled the profits and then did not even pay his taxes, which cost him is Ferrari's and his company. The second is Nuclear Union which admittedly looks a little underdeveloped right now, but if the game has a decent length and does not lock assets/code away like 2033/LL(2034) then the modding community will embrace it and fix that. So the genre is still alive and kicking, which is more than I can say for Defiance. ;)

4Aces:
Gather round the flaming barrel of garbage children, and let me tell you a story about two young boys who went on a wonderful quest. Well, actually they were young men, and they quit GSC Gameworld just before Stalker was released. Then got funding and formed 4A Games (no relation). These two were the ones that apparently were responsible for all the wonderful atmosphere in Stalker, as the following two games in that series were devoid of it (though mods have corrected that). Unfortunately, with the release of Metro: LL, they have demonstrated that while they may have their own company, they are mostly fixated on atmosphere.

2033 was linear, short, mediocre economy (claims ammo is rare, but fails to make it rare), and the stealth at times was broken (walk through a crowd and you are invisible as long as you do not make eye contact). So just like M$ they promoted those to features, and included them with LL (2034). There are times when stealth does work, but between the lack of opportunity to use it, and the lack of need for it, you almost have to do a play-through with that as a goal. The addition of weapon customization is nice, but more of a gimmick given the brevity of the game. While it is an improvement is some regards, it is stagnant in many others (especially graphical), which makes it average at best.

Two things of special note is that if you load the Russian voices, be warned that the subtitles were not finished at the time of release (and will probably never be). So hearing Russian is very cool, but if you never know WTF they are saying, it is pretty pointless. Now it appears that they did prioritize them so all the major dialogue has subs, but much of the background chatter does not. The second is that if you wanted the Ranger mode, they classified it as DLC and want another $5 for it. Yep, screwing you for $60 US was not enough for such a short game with virtually no replay given that 90% is linear, but they call a difficulty setting DLC. They claim it makes the game harder by limiting ammo, but if you have played it once then you know what is around the corner, and the ammo is still falling out of your pockets. I guess the next thing will be Saving at checkpoints or bug fixes as DLC.

The good news is that this will probably be the last as better games are coming. The first is the MMO Survarium, by the members of GSC but without the dick (owner) that embezzled the profits and then did not even pay his taxes, which cost him is Ferrari's and his company. The second is Nuclear Union which admittedly looks a little underdeveloped right now, but if the game has a decent length and does not lock assets/code away like 2033/LL(2034) then the modding community will embrace it and fix that. So the genre is still alive and kicking, which is more than I can say for Defiance. ;)

Well, uhm, lets have a discussion:
1. I dare say Clear Sky and Call of Pripyat were in no way worse then Shadow of Chernobyl in the atmosphere department.
2. Metro Last Light has better graphics then Metro 2033. Better use of DX11, better lightning, better textures, better models, better animations, more tesselation, a more balanced use of motion blur (even better AI, still not good but better)... that is not to say Metro 2033 looks bad. It is STILL one of the better looking games in the world. Its just that Last Light is even better in EVERY aspect.
3. Many people found having problems with ammo in Metro 2033... which is kinda sad IMO, considering how much ammo there is, but still :P . Just because you and I didnt have problems getting a lot of ammo does not mean the others were like us.
4. Ranger mode for the original games cost money as well. PC users got it for free though. It also is NOT A HARD mode. Its just a different mode of play, and Id say its at most as hard as standart hardcore mode. I DO NOT approve of Day One DLC (this is what the Ranger Mode is) however, on the bright side, ALL RETAIL copies of the game and ALL pre-orders had it included. So most people do have it :P .
5. I too am looking forward to Survarium, will be in the alpha :D . However... why compare a singe-player game to a MMO FPS with some experimenta features? I know of Nuclear Union aswell, will see how it turns out. Both of these games must establish a good backstory though, like STALKER and Metro. This always makes the world feel more alive and unique.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here