Escapist News Now: The Elder Scrolls Online New Gameplay, Interview

The Elder Scrolls Online New Gameplay, Interview

Andrea Rene sat down with Creative Director Paul Sage to talk about The Elder Scrolls Online. They chat about Tamriel, character creation, and more!

Watch Video

I truly cannot wait for this to come out. I'm very excited for this kind of gameplay in an MMO.

Not gonna lie, this looks pretty sick. The fact that you can still be in 1st person makes it feel like a true Elder Scrolls game rather than another MMO that just happens to carry the name and lore. Hope I get picked for the beta though.

The game looks awesome, but I do think it needs a bit more color, or maybe saturation. Would this be the WoWkiller?

Maerx:
Would this be the WoWkiller?

Probably not, no.

It's looking better, but I'm still not convinced that we aren't getting Morrowind's depth of combat paired with Skyrim's depth of character development.

What? We can actually make characters look however we want? We're not forced to pick from a narrow template of hyper-sexual women and power-fantasy men? Everything's coming up Punky Brewster!

Speaking as a skinny 'A' girl, it'd be nice not having my character forced into D cups...and my (large) boyfriend once said, 'You know, I wish I could create a fat guy for once'.

The future of gaming may look so real it'll be eerie!

Some things about this game look very good, some make it look too much like Skyrim. But either way it looks like there no way in hell it will run on my graphics card.

Maerx:
The game looks awesome, but I do think it needs a bit more color, or maybe saturation. Would this be the WoWkiller?

Oh, lord, no. But what I've played so far, I've enjoyed very much. In fairness, I tend to avoid MMOs, so much of what is still fun for me may feel tired for people who've got a lot of MMO experience, but Elder Scrolls Online feels like an Elder Scrolls game to me, right down to the twisted sense of humor. It's not quite multiplayer Skyrim, but it's fun stuff.

*sees first person combat*
"I..what? Why did they put Skyrim footage in here-OH WAIT...never seen that spider centurion before."

I must have this.
I have officially went from being highly highly skeptical and cynical upon the games announcement, to being excited as all hell.

...I mean....that fucking first person combat.

*squees*

Oh thank god, you don't have to use a staff to cast magic! I thought it was a requirement, which would have been horrible.

Anyway, I'm pleased so far. I signed up for the beta a while ago, so I'm glad that not all hope is lost for getting chosen.

Here are some real gameplay from the alpha...

http://www.mmorpg-center.com/oh-gawd-help-the-elder-scrolls-online-leaked-gameplay-trailer

Yes, this is totally gonna be the wow killer!

Just look at that epic combat at 7:30, WOW!

Colour me slightly more optimistic about this game. That first person combat proved it might be worthwhile.

Susan Arendt:

Maerx:

Oh, lord, no. But what I've played so far, I've enjoyed very much. In fairness, I tend to avoid MMOs, so much of what is still fun for me may feel tired for people who've got a lot of MMO experience, but Elder Scrolls Online feels like an Elder Scrolls game to me, right down to the twisted sense of humor. It's not quite multiplayer Skyrim, but it's fun stuff.

I can't really get a good sense of the combat in it from the videos I have seen.

As you have played it, how is the combat?

Is it very generic "press 1 through to 12 and repeat" or is it more action combat, like something along the lines of Tera?

Or is it quite close to Elder Scrolls combat?

Pink Apocalypse:
What? We can actually make characters look however we want? We're not forced to pick from a narrow template of hyper-sexual women and power-fantasy men? Everything's coming up Punky Brewster!

Speaking as a skinny 'A' girl, it'd be nice not having my character forced into D cups...and my (large) boyfriend once said, 'You know, I wish I could create a fat guy for once'.

The future of gaming may look so real it'll be eerie!

You could try Aion (F2P MMO), you can create whatever you want there, from a flat-chested girl with bit butt to a sumo wrestler with thin legs to a dwarf with insanely long arms with claws. And flying is fun!

OT:
As someone who never actually found much liking to MMOs (probably because I never had anyone to play them with), this looks more and more interesting with every new piece of information.

With the third-person gameplay I thought "oh dear. That looks really stiff (GW2 has achieved almost fluid-looking animations). But then, we saw First-Person view. Which looked good.

My concern is that with a first-person view, you have less awareness of your surroundings. Which means you might get obliterated by unseen things.

I hope this MMO makes me feel empowered. I'm worried by making a MMOTES it will undermine the power fantasy that is achieved by a single player experience. I'm also concerned that 'foreshadow knowledge' of the TES set in the future (Skyrim) might undermine any potential global threat. Like you know Tamriel will never get obliterated as it exists in Skyrim. And alternative timelines would be lame.

Class system looks interesting.

How SWTOR and GW2 turned out has dampen my excitement for this MMO. I'm more pessimistic.

I don't think WoW will ever get killed. Players have invested so much time into their accounts that they wouldn't easily be able to jump-ship. The MMOS would have to be better than WoW in all aspects for a large chunk to migrate. Also would help if the MMO had no sub fee.

I hope the combat will be like:
Left Click - Use weapon in left/right hand
Right Click - Use weapon in left/right

C - Cast selected ability
12345ferkgbrln6k;tm - select an ability.

Ctrl - Stealth

Basically Oblivion's controls.

dumbseizure:

Susan Arendt:

Maerx:

I can't really get a good sense of the combat in it from the videos I have seen.

Is it very generic "press 1 through to 12 and repeat" or is it more action combat, like something along the lines of Tera?

Well, you do have to target your opponent, so it's possible to miss. I used a lot of spells, so there was plenty of button hot key use. Now, there is first person view in the game, but we didn't get to use it. I've seen video of it that the developers swear up down left right and center is 100% pulled from the game. If they're telling the truth, it looks just like Skyrim-style combat, but I've only seen third-person so far.

Susan Arendt:

dumbseizure:

Susan Arendt:

Well, you do have to target your opponent, so it's possible to miss. I used a lot of spells, so there was plenty of button hot key use. Now, there is first person view in the game, but we didn't get to use it. I've seen video of it that the developers swear up down left right and center is 100% pulled from the game. If they're telling the truth, it looks just like Skyrim-style combat, but I've only seen third-person so far.

Ah, thank you for clarifying that.

Guess I will keep my eyes out to see how this turns out, it does seem interesting enough to pick up, I just don't know whether it will keep my interest or not.

piinyouri:
*sees first person combat*
"I..what? Why did they put Skyrim footage in here-OH WAIT...never seen that spider centurion before."

I must have this.
I have officially went from being highly highly skeptical and cynical upon the games announcement, to being excited as all hell.

...I mean....that fucking first person combat.

*squees*

I'm not joking when I say that was exactly my reaction.

"Lame, they put in some Skyrim footage... wait... WAIT... That's in-GAME?!"
*dies from nerdgasm*

The fighting looked rather generic from what the video showed, select monster and stand in place to cast skills till it dies...

"This is how i'm gonna stand out" With special armor coming in several shades of gray and black, now with several slight variations of horned helmets !

Really hope this isn't going to be another bland mmo simply skyrim themed.

Maerx:
Would this be the WoWkiller?

There will never be such a thing. WoW will die off on its own eventually.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here