Xbone Week #3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

UrinalDook:
And with no Star Trek, BSG, SG-1, Firefly or Farscape anymore and none of these rumoured Star Wars shows materialising any time soon, aren't we kind of crying out for a new action-y sci-fi show on TV?

This is the main thing, minus calling Star Trek action-y sci-fi. I mean it occasionally /has/ action, but not in the way the other shows do.

Anyway, I've practically been praying to the Great Bird of the Galaxy[1] for the last few years for /some/ sort of new TV sci-fi show that wasn't based on modern day Earth and/or produced by the BBC. I mean, I'd take something with the quality of Andromeda at this point, so a Halo show probably would scratch that itch, and I'm not even into the series. Defiance is a step in the right direction, but it's not all the way there.

By the way, it hasn't been officially stated, but if you look at the premise of the cartoon that's replacing The Clone Wars, It looks like that live action Star Wars show got turned into a kids cartoon, unfortunately.

[1] That's Gene Roddenberry, Star Trek joke

Bindal:
So far we had Halo books, a anime-shortmovies-collection (Halo Legends), a short Halo live-action internet-series for Halo 4 and "Red VS Blue" just announced their 11th Season (granted, RvB is not canon for Halo, but still worth mentioning in this case)
Is a full Live-Action TV-Show really that far of a stretch? Don't think so.

Don't forget the HALO Graphic Novels from Marvel, that tie in to HALO 3. This HALO TV show could be interesting if they can make Master Chief more interesting, or get main characters more compelling than him, and do more than just shoot things and really open up the universe.

canadamus_prime:
Wait... they're doing a Halo TV show? Ooooookaaay.

Did you see Forward Unto Dawn? If not, check it out, really well done.

The Halo universe is almost as good as the Mass Effect one - most people don't realise that because the games are not designed to showcase it as much as in ME.

I heard that there's one Spartan in the books that is so injured, he'd die without his suit. That sounds interesting, I hope they include him.

Lattyware:

canadamus_prime:

The Halo universe is almost as good as the Mass Effect one - most people don't realise that because the games are not designed to showcase it as much as in ME.

No I didn't seen Forward Unto Dawn. However I'm still not sold on the concept because I don't even think Mass Effect lends itself well to a TV show format.

lacktheknack:

Geo Da Sponge:
I'm sorry, but it's a pretty weak joke when the game already beat you to it.

"I thought I'd shoot my way out. Mix things up a little."
-Master Chief

Yeah, but... TV show...

I'm kind of afraid that Critical Miss is dead on.

Provided they get the right team then no, he wont be.

Ignoring the fact that the comic is a joke Halo has a lot more too it than "shoot teh aliens" especially in the extended universe (Which, unlike Lucas, Bungie/343 actually pay attention to).

OT: Meh, low hanging fruit.

I'm honestly excited for the show, Forward Unto Dawn showed that you don't need Chief around 24/7 for something Halo to work out well.

Daaaah Whoosh:
You know, an entire show devoted to Master Chief shooting a bunch of aliens would't be all that bad, as long as he did some cool parcour jumps. And maybe set up elaborate Rube Goldbergs. And played Jenga. Man, I miss Halo 3.

You and me both. That game was terrific, and it was more than some people give it credit for. these new ones, they're changing for the worse by trying to chase a market that is bored of the changes they make to try and win them back. It is depressing.

CrazyGirl17:
Meh, I'm more of a fan of Red VS Blue than I am a fan of Halo...

You mean Blue VS Red, it sounds silly when you say it backwards!

Andy Shandy:

Daystar Clarion:
Man, I can't wait until the season finale of Halo, where some guy shoots some guys in the face.

It's going to be awesome.

Until...

SHOCKING PLOT TWIST

They're not shooting. They're stabbing them with the sword instead!

But it isn't all

YET ANOTHER PLOT TWIST

It turns out the sword is actually a key...

This is the best use of a bad Dragonball Z joke/meme I've seen in years.

blackrave:

Andy Shandy:

Daystar Clarion:
Man, I can't wait until the season finale of Halo, where some guy shoots some guys in the face.

Until...

SHOCKING PLOT TWIST

But it isn't all

YET ANOTHER PLOT TWIST

No, Memory is the key. *spoilers* Cortana doesn't have enough and needs a RAM upgrade to survive. *spoilers*

To be fair the Halo books and Forward Unto Dawn movie were (overall) pretty good and not just constant shooting.

That said it was just sad and embarrassing that MS's Halo announcement for their big console reveal was...for a Halo TV series. On top of that they didn't even show anything from it, just that they paid Spielberg enough cash to get him to attach his name to it. Whooopdee-shit.

Oh and Mr. Spielberg, you are not a gamer! You're not fooling anyone or going to look cool with the kids because you played Pong once.

I don't get why people are so critical of it. If anything, Halo is one of the few video game franchises that has proven it can utilize its rich universe to create some really entertaining stuff. Halo: Forward Unto Dawn was really good, I thought. And Halo: Legends was good too. The Halo novels are a fun read and there's more backstory than people want to admit.

Where is this baseless assumption that it's going to be a generic "shoot people in the face" show coming from? Because as far as I'm aware, with the exception of the game (go figure, you shoot people in a shooter.) Halo has proven with both of its outings that it can do well in that format. I'm not even a fan, I just hate seeing the same sheep jumping on the "let's hate on popular franchises" bandwagon for the sake of seeming like an informed pseudo-intellectual gamer on the internet.

The Xbone is looking up to be a piece of crap, and your other strips were funny. But I felt this one missed the mark in favor of a cheap pot shot instead.

2xDouble:

blackrave:

Andy Shandy:

Until...

SHOCKING PLOT TWIST

But it isn't all

YET ANOTHER PLOT TWIST

No, Memory is the key. *spoilers* Cortana doesn't have enough and needs a RAM upgrade to survive. *spoilers*

Stop spoiling things dammit

blackrave:

2xDouble:
*spoilers* Cortana doesn't have enough and needs a RAM upgrade to survive. *spoilers*

Well, that's only really spoilers for the Season 2 opener... what with the cliffhanger at the end of the first season.

Captcha: See You Tomorrow. Indeed, Captcha, let the third season begin!

Andy Shandy:

Daystar Clarion:

Until...

SHOCKING PLOT TWIST

*GASP!* *audible shock!*

OP: Next week, on Halo... The Flood returns, and Chief shoots at them!

"Chief, get outta there before you get consumed like you didn't every other time I thought you would but might this time because TENSION!"

Daystar Clarion:

well..... SPOILER ALERT? /THANKYOUVERYMUCHMRRUINEVERONEELSESFUNTHROUGHTHOUGHTLESSNESS

though it will surely have a musical episode like every goddamn series nowadays.

Obviously haven't read the books.

It's not just the books, there's so much extended cannon to work with. Having said that a show about master chief would be dull and ill-advised.

Oskuro:
Hmmm, that last panel reminds me of something....

Is gaming coming full circle?

(That's all the relevance I could muster out of an Xbone related topic....)

indeed i'm having a bit of deja vu here

blackrave:

2xDouble:

blackrave:

But it isn't all

YET ANOTHER PLOT TWIST

Ummm, you know whats sad? We actually know who Cortana is based on. In one of the books (Its actually a great book) we see that she is based on....

So yeah, just thought I would put that out there to be a killjoy.

canadamus_prime:

Lattyware:

canadamus_prime:

No I didn't seen Forward Unto Dawn. However I'm still not sold on the concept because I don't even think Mass Effect lends itself well to a TV show format.

If you haven't seen FUD, or read the books then you really can't say your not sold on the concept if you haven't even looked at what could be...

Grey Carter:
I would laugh at the concept of a Halo TV show, but that trailer was pretty much the closest thing to an actual videogame in Microsoft's whole presentation.

For those of us who have already cancelled their Xbox live accounts that just makes it funnier!

Daystar Clarion:

Oooh watcha saaaay? Oh, that you only meant weeeell, well of course you did. Oooh watcha saaaay? That it's all for the best? Well of course it is-

Seriously though, it depresses me when satire and the news become indistinguishable. It's like The Onion, but in comic form.

UrinalDook:
Sometimes, Grey, I have to wonder if you actually know your audience at all. I know that the Escapist likes to pride itself as something of a hangout for more 'high brow' gamers, but I'm sure there's still a lot of posters and visitors here who, like me, are big fans of Halo, for it's setting and universe as much as its solid gameplay.

I was fully expecting the Forward Unto Dawn web mini series to be crap, but found myself enjoying it quite a bit. Because of that, and the Neil Blomkamp directed shorts advertising Halo 3, the Halo TV series was pretty much the only thing in the Xbone reveal that caught my attention. I know I'm not alone. Done right, there's a lot of potential in it. And with no Star Trek, BSG, SG-1, Firefly or Farscape anymore and none of these rumoured Star Wars shows materialising any time soon, aren't we kind of crying out for a new action-y sci-fi show on TV?

Don't get me wrong, I love Critcal Miss and this still got a laugh out of me. Kind of felt like a bit of a cheap laugh, though. Taking the mick out of Halo feels a little harsh when there's so much juicer material in the Xbone's reveal.

keeping in mind that this is a third in the series of things about the xbone

the ride doesn't end

Ronack:
YOU LIE. Wasn't there also a fishing game? I seem to recall there being a fishing game with spectacular A.I. ...

Was that the one with "great innovative character customisation"?

Korten12:

canadamus_prime:

Lattyware:

If you haven't seen FUD, or read the books then you really can't say your not sold on the concept if you haven't even looked at what could be...

Did you not read what I said? Lattyware said that the Halo Universe was almost as good as the Mass Effect Universe and I said that that didn't sell it to me because I don't even think that Mass Effect lends itself to a TV show format.

canadamus_prime:

Korten12:

canadamus_prime:

Did you not read what I said? Lattyware said that the Halo Universe was almost as good as the Mass Effect Universe and I said that that didn't sell it to me because I don't even think that Mass Effect lends itself to a TV show format.

Well the whole, which is better is subjective. Imo Halo has a more indepth universe (outside the games that is), and doesn't have to deal with something (*cough*ending*cough*) that screws up everything and makes it hard to work around.

But that isn't the point. Since you haven't seen FuD, which shows a Halo show can work, and yet haven't seen it and then still said your not sold on it is just weird. It's not a matter of which universe is better, it's just that Halo has already shown it does work in live action. More so then Mass Effect since in Halo a lot of the Human side of things don't require much CGI outside the more spacey stuff.

... I would probably watch it, tbh.

Just because I'm a huge Halo fanatic.

... Even though I hated Halo 4.

Korten12:

canadamus_prime:

Korten12:

Well the whole, which is better is subjective. Imo Halo has a more indepth universe (outside the games that is), and doesn't have to deal with something (*cough*ending*cough*) that screws up everything and makes it hard to work around.

But that isn't the point. Since you haven't seen FuD, which shows a Halo show can work, and yet haven't seen it and then still said your not sold on it is just weird. It's not a matter of which universe is better, it's just that Halo has already shown it does work in live action. More so then Mass Effect since in Halo a lot of the Human side of things don't require much CGI outside the more spacey stuff.

Regardless, quality of Universe aside, I still don't think either lends itself to a TV format. However the FuD could prove me wrong.

I won't say that a show set in the Halo universe can't be really good, you can make anything good if you know what you're doing. But I do think in order for it to be even half decent it would need to be extremely far removed from the Halo games, in which case what's the point?

Ok, it's been a while since I played Halo so I need this answered: What is with the blue clouds of dust coming off the aliens? Did that always happen?

M

LEAVE THE GRUNTS ALONE!
What have they ever done to you?

Actually, I hope the TV series is like this comic depicts. I don't watch TV, but my dad does, and his taste is atrocious(this conversation never happened). So if the series is just about shooting lots of aliens and spaceships, he'll love it. He always gets disappointed when he sees all these cool, actiony, cinematic commercials on TV and I tell him that they're games.

Though, I actually do expect the series to be at least decent :/

canadamus_prime:

Lattyware:

canadamus_prime:

Do check out Forward Unto Dawn - it proves that it could work well (because it did). It was an enjoyable mini-series to watch. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Daaaah Whoosh:
You know, an entire show devoted to Master Chief shooting a bunch of aliens would't be all that bad, as long as he did some cool parcour jumps. And maybe set up elaborate Rube Goldbergs. And played Jenga. Man, I miss Halo 3.

Aww man, the Jenga gamemode in Halo 3 was awesome. Cheers for givin' be a nice lil wack 'round the head of nostalgia.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here