EXP: ScrewAttack's Real Trailers - Xbox One

Pages 1 2 NEXT

ScrewAttack's Real Trailers - Xbox One

The Xbox One will feature everything a non-gamer would want in a gaming console!

Learn more about the Escapist Extras Program here!

Watch Video

A bit late to the party aren't you?

I mean seriously, the bandwagon can't get any more full at the moment.

I don't want to sound mean, but I don't see the point of this at all. There is nothing that really stands out about this. No unique voice, no unique content, no unique style... it's just all so bland and amateurish. It definitely needs something to spice it up if it's going to make any kind of mark.

Screwattack?

Awesome! It's like all the gaming sites I frequent are coming under ONE giant website! Next I'll be able to watch TV online through this website too.

Nah, but rly, I like Screwattack and this is pretty funny. The one story that keeps on giving.

Still amazes me how MS isn't even acting like it's in PR damage control mode. Hell, Bioware handled their screw-up with better initial tact than XBONE is...

Kind of like Honest Trailers but way too snarky. Was hoping for something more like Literal Trailers.

Still, better than I could do, so can't say my opinion matters. :P

....meh.

That video was not funny.
Sorry.

While I think the Xbone was as laughable as the next person, this just was not funny, at all.

I've heard of Screwattack, and if this video is typical of their output, it should stay on their site, so I can avoid it.

The commentary on the video consisted of nothing more than what sounded like a Dudebro yelling into a mic at the top of his voice, and inserting random fucking swearwords into every sentence.

There was also nothing original in the script, although by this point I think all of the jokes have been done.

So is this why they got rid of ReelPhysics? It would be dissapointing if that was the case. I think this video does it much better.

kailus13:
So is this why they got rid of ReelPhysics?

Major disappointment here if true. I watched every episode they made. Watched some two or three times. And then they get shut down the day I register for the site. Maybe I'm just a jinx. :P

I think this video does it much better.

Thank you for that! That was a perfect palette cleanser and exactly what I was wanting to see when I first got here (to this post). :)

Addendum: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/publishers-note/10356-Adding-to-the-Escapist-Experience-With-EXP

kailus13:
So is this why they got rid of ReelPhysics? It would be dissapointing if that was the case. I think this video does it much better.

Agreed on all counts

Escapist, bring back ReelPhysics. I'm not sure what kind of traffic it got, probably not a lot if it got bumped, but I'd consider it a personal favor

kailus13:

Nah, the two are unrelated. Shows like Reel Physics, Unskippable, or Zero Punctuation are published under an exclusive license where we guarantee a certain amount of money. When the shows are successful that's a great model, but the shows have to hit a large critical mass of viewers or it can't be sustained. For every show we keep, we launch 2-3 that we don't.

On the other hand, shows on EXP are published non-exclusively under different terms - it's more like a YouTube model. The idea is that we can have dozens of EXP partners. Some will do great, some will not, but a show on EXP would never be "cancelled" or suspended for not doing well. Some shows from EXP might eventually become exclusive shows, I suppose, but otherwise there's not an overlap.

Hope that makes sense.

I have some ideas for mixing this in a slightly more interesting manner. Who do I contact to obtain the music/fx and voice over audio tracks to do a remix ?

Archon:

kailus13:

Nah, the two are unrelated. Shows like Reel Physics, Unskippable, or Zero Punctuation are published under an exclusive license where we guarantee a certain amount of money. When the shows are successful that's a great model, but the shows have to hit a large critical mass of viewers or it can't be sustained. For every show we keep, we launch 2-3 that we don't.

On the other hand, shows on EXP are published non-exclusively under different terms - it's more like a YouTube model. The idea is that we can have dozens of EXP partners. Some will do great, some will not, but a show on EXP would never be "cancelled" or suspended for not doing well. Some shows from EXP might eventually become exclusive shows, I suppose, but otherwise there's not an overlap.

Hope that makes sense.

So... has Reel Physics been axed or what? I figure it's best to get non-speculative info from one of the head honchos.

Airon:
I have some ideas for mixing this in a slightly more interesting manner. Who do I contact to obtain the music/fx and voice over audio tracks to do a remix ?

I think it would be Craig at ScrewAttack.
http://www.screwattack.com/contact-us

Archon:

kailus13:

Hope that makes sense.

So, trying to read between the lines here, it wasn't making enough money to justify what was being paid for, for it? How much money can 2 dudes in front of a green screen (with possibly a licensing fee for movie clips, I'm not sure if it falls under fair use or not) possibly need to make a show?

If it was bringing in that little money, then it's a matter of a standoff between the guys who make the show and want $X and the site wanting to pay $X-Y for it and if so, that's a damn shame. That was one of those shows which was "appointment TV" for us. Every week, that was one of those vids that, when I saw it, I wasn't allowed to watch it without my fiance, and we had to watch it the day it came out.

Archon:

kailus13:

Hope that makes sense.

It does, thanks. Does this mean that Real Trailers won't get axed, even if it remains as bad as it is?

kailus13:
It does, thanks. Does this mean that Real Trailers won't get axed, even if it remains as bad as it is?

Hah! That's a hard question to answer, like "when did you stop beating your wife?", eh. :P

Ideally, the way it works is that there's enough Extras content that if you don't like a show, it doesn't matter, because there's two or three other shows you like.

With our exclusive content, it's a zero sum game: If we pay to license Show X, then that's money we don't spend on Show Y. So, understandably, if our audience think Show X sucks and Show Y is great, they get really upset if we choose X over Y. If 90% like X and 10% like Y, telling the 10% who like Y that X is a better choice for the site doesn't make them feel any better.

With EXP shows, we can have both X and Y, and the audience can just enjoy whichever they prefer. If 90% watch X, the producer of X does better, but there's still a home for the producer of Y, too.

schmulki:
So, trying to read between the lines here, it wasn't making enough money to justify what was being paid for, for it? How much money can 2 dudes in front of a green screen (with possibly a licensing fee for movie clips, I'm not sure if it falls under fair use or not) possibly need to make a show?

If it was bringing in that little money, then it's a matter of a standoff between the guys who make the show and want $X and the site wanting to pay $X-Y for it and if so, that's a damn shame. That was one of those shows which was "appointment TV" for us. Every week, that was one of those vids that, when I saw it, I wasn't allowed to watch it without my fiance, and we had to watch it the day it came out.

The sheer number of shows on YouTube demonstrates that very little money is *needed* to put 2 dudes in front of a green screen to make a show. But it does take time and energy, and not every creative and talented person wants to spend their free time working on a show without adequate remuneration. For some people, just "being on the internet" is enough, for others they have to be able to justify it financially - and it isn't necessarily out of greed; sometimes kids, mortgages, and school loans just add up.

So, with regard to Reel Physics, we had an amount we could spend based on the traffic it was generating, the size of our audience, and the value of our ads. It wasn't enough to sustain the show's production. So given what we could pay for the show right now, it made sense to suspend it and hopefully do a Season 2 at some point in the future when the various factors (audience size, ad market, etc.) are more favorable.

Archon:

schmulki:

The sheer number of shows on YouTube demonstrates that very little money is *needed* to put 2 dudes in front of a green screen to make a show. But it does take time and energy, and not every creative and talented person wants to spend their free time working on a show without adequate remuneration. For some people, just "being on the internet" is enough, for others they have to be able to justify it financially - and it isn't necessarily out of greed; sometimes kids, mortgages, and school loans just add up.

So, with regard to Reel Physics, we had an amount we could spend based on the traffic it was generating, the size of our audience, and the value of our ads. It wasn't enough to sustain the show's production. So given what we could pay for the show right now, it made sense to suspend it and hopefully do a Season 2 at some point in the future when the various factors (audience size, ad market, etc.) are more favorable.

Fair enough. Thanks for answering, it always feels bad to see a show you really like disappear, it's even worse to not know why.

Alfador_VII:
I've heard of Screwattack, and if this video is typical of their output, it should stay on their site, so I can avoid it.

I've watched a fair amount of SA content and this trailer let me down. I won't hype the site as brilliant, but it's not THIS bad normally.

Not SA's best work... Maybe it was just Bryan's tone, but it just wasn't funny...

kailus13:

Yes. :) This is better

The S.A. video did sum up some of the crap of the stuff, but it was just not very artful about it.

The video you gave though? It's great. =w= d (<- thumbs up face)

kailus13:

Thanks for the video, it was way better than the one The Escapist apparently paid for.

RIP Reel Physics.

Just wait, in a few month M$ will come out and the say the Xbone was expectantly designed to fail.

ohh where did I hear that before, and how many tools bought that thing back then?

mmmmh....

There's an abridged Xbox One launch trailer on Youtube you could watch that is much better than this. The level of humour here is less than you'd see in a typical post on the issue.

Is Screwattack going to have regular content here? I've watched them for years and I really like them.

While thinking about it and reading these comments (especially the back-and-forth around Archon) I've come to a startling revelation about myself. Most of the things I watch have funny accents... Maybe I'm just turned off by a flat midwestern narration while a Boston, British, or Aussie accent makes things more enjoyable...

But you forgot to mention the fact that they care nothing about consumer confidence in the customers that lost faith in them after the RROD fiasco by stating nothing about system durability!

ScrewAttack on Escapist? I think I've went full circle around the internet since this is where I started.

kailus13:

That video is much better than this flamebait trash.

Ah, screwattack, the site that is on life support thanks to James Rolfe contract.
The video sounds like a typical rant of a hurt fanboy without any real insight. Typical Screwattack i guess.
You have 4 episodes remaining to get me on board.

does anyone know the name of the game where the huge ship teleports/jumps around at 0:50 in that video? it looked semi interesting

With Windows 98, I started to believe in Microsoft... especially since MacOS was quite a nightmarish mess back then.

With Windows XP, I knew my judgement was right and my mind was clear, even though the bubbly Teletubby looks made my eyes bleed, come SP2, XP was the one customer and productive OS to rule them all.

With Windows 7, I finally felt like Microsoft 'got it', save for those annoying visual effects and odd under-the-hood changes. God how I was wrong.

Microsoft in 2013 seems to be kinda like in a sisyphos loop, seemingly eternally damned to jump the shark bandwagon.

Don't get me wrong - I like the idea of Chrome/Chromium OS. I really do. But I like that as a handy niche or alternative little something that can absolutely grow into a big little something. Why the hell not. I don't expect or want anything like this from Microsoft, though - or Adobe, for that matter. Fuck always-online. Fuck subscription models with no proper buy alternative. Fuck Kinect. Fuck making me feel fucked over for having believed in you for the last, what, fifteen years of my life. OK, I eventually dropped the 360. Didn't mean I wasn't interested in the XBOX as a gaming machine. Thanks for sorting that out for me, Microsoft.

Now, let's see how Sony handles the situation. Can't possibly be worse, now, can it?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here