The Wishlist: Doctor Who

Doctor Who

As a newly christened Whovian Ashley gives us all things Dr. Who.

Watch Video

Welcome to the ranks Ashley. Fun stuff this week! Maybe I will need to go shopping...

I like this stuff, love the Trash can, and indeed most of it

Also glad you're still here Ashley, but bring back Geekend Update!

The sonic from the Vortex Manipulator set is extremely poor and they aren't kidding when they mean "mini". If you are buying it for the sonic then I'd advise looking elsewhere. You can get full size toy sonics with lights and sounds for around the same price as that set that feel much better to wield than that thing.

This is the one you want if you are looking for just a Sonic (from the same store as the video)

http://www.bbcshop.com/david-tennant/doctor-who-tenth-doctor-screwdriver/invt/04707c

Holy crap, a 50th anniversary special's coming up? I might watch that.

I knew TimeLord would show up for this episode.

I'd like to get the pint glasses for myself. The dog tags would be fun to get, too, but my girlfriend might not enjoy the joke. :D

TimeLord:
The sonic from the Vortex Manipulator set is extremely poor and they aren't kidding when they mean "mini". If you are buying it for the sonic then I'd advise looking elsewhere. You can get full size toy sonics with lights and sounds for around the same price as that set that feel much better to wield than that thing.

This is the one you want if you are looking for just a Sonic (from the same store as the video)

http://www.bbcshop.com/david-tennant/doctor-who-tenth-doctor-screwdriver/invt/04707c

Too bad there isn't an good equivalent in the America Store(at least not yet), because that is where the UK shop diverts me to in the questions about where they ship to.

I need/want a replacement for the one I got with a set that included "Psychic Paper". The bottom of the screwdriver functioned as a pen with invisible ink that was used to write on the paper in the folded "leather" and revealed by the light of the screwdriver.

The screwdriver lasted all of about six months. Here's the kicker, the screws holding the thing together just stopped holding it together properly. Maybe from overuse....or alien influence. =P

But yeah, I'd like to find a proper replacement that is just what it is suppose to be, a replica piece, that isn't trying masquerade as anything other than that. Because really, trying to use my first one as a pen with the normal ink tip it came with felt rather unwieldy and silly to use because of it's size.

Other than the pen thing, the one I had did look exactly like the one you linked to. My problem is that all the ones in the American store don't look similar.

Edit: Wow, my mind must be melting or something, considering the typing errors I've had to fix with this post.

Are the dog tags available in the UK store too? I haven seen them. Though again they're so very expensive I doubt I could justify the expense. My boyfriend would probably kill me for spending so much money on a pendant.

Sonic Doctor:

TimeLord:

Too bad there isn't an good equivalent in the America Store(at least not yet), because that is where the UK shop diverts me to in the questions about where they ship to.

I need/want a replacement for the one I got with a set that included "Psychic Paper". The bottom of the screwdriver functioned as a pen with invisible ink that was used to write on the paper in the folded "leather" and revealed by the light of the screwdriver.

The screwdriver lasted all of about six months. Here's the kicker, the screws holding the thing together just stopped holding it together properly. Maybe from overuse....or alien influence. =P

Sonic screwdriver breaks because of screws. Ironic :p

To be fair, psychic paper is really REALLY easy to make yourself. Mine is a simple passport holder with a piece of paper in the plastic holder side. Looks perfect!

But yeah, I'd like to find a proper replacement that is just what it is suppose to be, a replica piece, that isn't trying masquerade as anything other than that. Because really, trying to use my first one as a pen with the normal ink tip it came with felt rather unwieldy and silly to use because of it's size.

Other than the pen thing, the one I had did look exactly like the one you linked to. My problem is that all the ones in the American store don't look similar.

Edit: Wow, my mind must be melting or something, considering the typing errors I've had to fix with this post.

You need this;

Made my Millennium FX, limited to 500 worldwide, 1:1 scale, solid aluminium and it extends and lights up.
Takes pride of place on my wall but if you want one nowadays you best be prepared to spend a lot of money. They weren't cheap when they were produced and they are very rare to get hold of now.

TimeLord:

Sonic Doctor:
snip

Made my Millennium FX, limited to 500 worldwide, 1:1 scale, solid aluminium and it extends and lights up.
Takes pride of place on my wall but if you want one nowadays you best be prepared to spend a lot of money. They weren't cheap when they were produced and they are very rare to get hold of now.

Thanks for the advice. Will look into making my own Psychic Paper holder.

As for the replica, yeah, considering money, I'm going to have to wait for something cheaper that is still sturdy and put together properly.

TimeLord:

Yeah, my friends that I hang out with got a big kick out of that. Cause they asked why I didn't carry it anymore, and I of course had to tell them.

Sonic Doctor:

TimeLord:

Sonic Doctor:
snip

Thanks for the advice. Will look into making my own Psychic Paper holder.

As for the replica, yeah, considering money, I'm going to have to wait for something cheaper that is still sturdy and put together properly.

TimeLord:

Yeah, my friends that I hang out with got a big kick out of that. Cause they asked why I didn't carry it anymore, and I of course had to tell them.

The sonic screwdrivers from character are awesome, but they're not the most robust. I have, almost, every one and over half of them are broken. Either a mechanism doesn't work, or the SFX is broken. As for my 9th doctor one I lost it when it fell out of my pocket a couple weeks back :(

I once saw a replica sonic screwdriver in some gadget shop or other that made the noise AND functioned as a universal remote control. At least according to the box.

Alas, it was crazy expensive.

DragonsAteMyMarbles:
I once saw a replica sonic screwdriver in some gadget shop or other that made the noise AND functioned as a universal remote control. At least according to the box.

Alas, it was crazy expensive.

I'm guessing that was the 11th Doctor universal remote? Yeah it's about 60

Ahahahahaaa! Prepare to have hours of your life taken away by the wonder that is Dr. Who!

I started with the tenth Doctor myself, but am going to try and watch all of the original Dr. Who, especially the Tom Baker version which all of my older friends say was the best.

Jelly Babies for the win!

Sonic Doctor:

I think most of the things mentioned in the video are also available through ThinkGeek (not the dogtags, but my wife's bought just about everything else in the video off of ThinkGeek).

Also, on the subject of Doctor Who stuff, here's the best thing I've seen yet, the GuiTARDIS: http://ricecustomguitars.com/instruments.php?serial=182 . It was custom made for Time Crash, a trock (Time Lord rock) band. They're currently offering two of them as higher-level rewards for their album Kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1356818530/time-crash

great episode Ashley. It's to see more whovians

Just bought the 11th doctor sonic screwdriver universal remote, easy to use super sturdy and EPIC.

available at www.forbbidenplanet.com

btw thats my one

TimeLord:
The sonic from the Vortex Manipulator set is extremely poor and they aren't kidding when they mean "mini".

My brother just bought me a sonic screwdriver "torch" for my birthday which looks to be the same thing. It is RIDICULOUSLY tiny.

Still, it was a nice thought.

The Vortex Manipulator looks terrible.

Am I to take it there's no equivalent of the sonic you linked to for the 11th? They list Third, Fourth, Tenth and River's "future tenth", but all I see are the torch (which looks cheap) and the remote (which is kind of expensive) for 11.

Zachary Amaranth:
Am I to take it there's no equivalent of the sonic you linked to for the 11th? They list Third, Fourth, Tenth and River's "future tenth", but all I see are the torch (which looks cheap) and the remote (which is kind of expensive) for 11.

There is but curiously it isn't on the BBC store...

It's this one here:

http://forbiddenplanet.com/53198-doctor-who-11th-doctor-new-sonic-screwdriver/

It's 1:1 (or there abouts) and pretty sturdy for a plastic toy. Opens out, has lights/sounds etc. It's the equvilant to the 10th Doctor Sonic I listed above.

TimeLord:

It's 1:1 (or there abouts) and pretty sturdy for a plastic toy. Opens out, has lights/sounds etc. It's the equvilant to the 10th Doctor Sonic I listed above.

That's the same one I saw on Amazon. The only real downer is that you need to pop open the back and press a new button to activate the sounds/lights when it's open.

Still, if that's the closest I gots, I may go ahead and order one.

Thanks!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here