Adding to the Escapist Experience With EXP

Adding to the Escapist Experience With EXP

The Escapist is proud to announce its newest channel!

Read Full Article

I thought ScrewAttack had an exclusive deal with GameTrailers? Did this change?

Probably should have opened with this. That Screwattack video would have been better received with this as a preface.

So a variety show is what's replacing Reel Physics? :/

I wonder if James Rolfe still has a thing going with ScreAttack. I'd love to see AVGN appear on the Escapist to some extent. Wait... I've got it!

INVITE AVGN TO ESCAPIST EXPO 2013! :D

Fappy:
I wonder if James Rolfe still has a thing going with ScreAttack.

It's tough to say. There's still a "AVGN/Cinemassacre" section on ScrewAttack's website, but nothing James or Cinemassacre has done in 2013 is on there. On top of that, AVGN videos have been going straight to YouTube lately, instead of GT/ScrewAttack first and YouTube years later (though they're still on GameTrailers at the same time as YouTube). I have no clue what the terms of their contract were, but I'm guessing ScrewAttack won't be getting any more new AVGN content, simply retaining the right to show what they've already got.

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. Seriously, though, this post is mostly speculation. I have no clue what's going on.

I'd love to see you get in touch with RockLeeSmile from YouTube and Indie-Impressions.com, and get some of his indie impression videos on the site. That'd be really cool! :3

And so it begins. Once the New Media had put down the Old Media Monopolies they soon took up the reins and began the cycle of content conglomeration again. Somewhere, in the distance, an even newer form of decentralized media is birthing in the minds of mankind. One where the Syndicate of Senseless Syndication Reduplication is replaced by redundant deduplication, one where commercials are obsolete because the users paid for the videos they want to see via crowd funding.

Quake Heartily, for Your business model is DUMB and thus doomed. This is the end of the beginning of the end.

Covarr:
I thought ScrewAttack had an exclusive deal with GameTrailers? Did this change?

I hope not, or lots of people are in big trouble!

PuckFuppet:
Probably should have opened with this. That Screwattack video would have been better received with this as a preface.

No doubt. :-\ There was an internal error that led to the video being posted before my Publisher's Note. The responsible parties have been asked to commit seppuku.

MinionJoe:
So a variety show is what's replacing Reel Physics? :/

No, not at all. EXP is a totally different business model and channel than our main line of shows. We publish shows like Zero Punctuation, Unskippable, or Reel Physics on an exclusive basis. We will continue to feature exclusive content for our site. The EXP channel is a place where we can distribute content non-exclusively, created by partners.

VortexCortex:
And so it begins. Once the New Media had put down the Old Media Monopolies they soon took up the reins and began the cycle of content conglomeration again. Somewhere, in the distance, an even newer form of decentralized media is birthing in the minds of mankind. One where the Syndicate of Senseless Syndication Reduplication is replaced by redundant deduplication, one where commercials are obsolete because the users paid for the videos they want to see via crowd funding.

Quake Heartily, for Your business model is DUMB and thus doomed. This is the end of the beginning of the end.

I shared this on my Tumblr. Several of my followers are re-tweeting it.

Archon:

No, not at all. EXP is a totally different business model and channel than our main line of shows.

Thanks for reply! I'd wondered after I posted if it wasn't a different business model. Seemed like the contracting would be different given the nature of the new feature, and now I know!

Doesn't mean I won't miss Reel Physics (Not to late to bring them back for season 2, is it?), but I appreciate the information.

(Addendum: I've found that making underlings commit sudoku improves production more than seppuku. Sharpen the mind, not the blade. :) )

MinionJoe:
(Addendum: I've found that making underlings commit sudoku improves production more than seppuku. Sharpen the mind, not the blade. :) )

Given how math-averse some writers are, playing sudoku might be worse than death!

at first i was like 'o.o? wtf are they doing here?', though not in the bad way, love the top 10s and VGVs, then I was like 'o.o oh .. Welcome neighbors! -.- STAY.OUT.OF.THE.BASEMENT.'

Well this is an interesting idea, but as I said in the thread for the first video, I hated that one. Well the only way is up.

Also if this is meant to be the latest and greatest thing, why on earth is the link to it hidden waaaaay down the bottom of the page?

Alfador_VII:
Well this is an interesting idea, but as I said in the thread for the first video, I hated that one. Well the only way is up.

Also if this is meant to be the latest and greatest thing, why on earth is the link to it hidden waaaaay down the bottom of the page?

We will be extending that part of our front page to include links to EXP content as more videos, series, and producers come on board.

Alfador_VII:

That section of the page is one of our highest-trafficked areas. Our visitors like to scroll down to click "Read More" on the news. We heat-mapped it, and then placed EXP where we knew it would catch some eyeballs.

Also, each day, one show from EXP content will appear in the top carousel. So that'll be sort of an "editor's pick". That gets more interesting when we add more partners, of course!

Must say, this sounds like a really neat idea! =D

I have absolutely no idea who I'd like to see on it mind, but more content is almost always a good thing.

I'm excited to announce the launch of a new slate of content for our site, called EXP. EXP, which is short "Escapist Extras Program"

I'm sorry, but I am going to be forced to called it EEP.

Is this going to be a weekly thing (one video per week) or will it have it's own schedule with different content on different days? The first video was kind of crap but hopefully they improve.

Archon:

Alfador_VII:

That section of the page is one of our highest-trafficked areas. Our visitors like to scroll down to click "Read More" on the news. We heat-mapped it, and then placed EXP where we knew it would catch some eyeballs.

Also, each day, one show from EXP content will appear in the top carousel. So that'll be sort of an "editor's pick". That gets more interesting when we add more partners, of course!

I agree as someone who clicks the "read more" button for things I missed (though the button didn't work for a bit today, it's fixed now). I did notice the exp box but I would suggest some kind of a colour change, it doesn't really draw the eye when it has the same blue and white colour scheme as the rest of the escapist.

Anyway, always nice to have more content. Thanks for the effort!

EDIT:

After checking it out again I see it's a bit darker than the normal format but a slightly thicker outline around the box it's in might help draw some eyes without clashing too much with the rest of the layout.

Archon:

PuckFuppet:

No doubt. :-\ There was an internal error that led to the video being posted before my Publisher's Note. The responsible parties have been asked to commit seppuku.

Their sacrifice will be honoured in the coming Empire.

Interesting! I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it. I wonder what other content providers will be put into rotation with it...

Hmmm...

Not sure if there's a recommendation thread up (if there is I apologize, but I was unable to find it), but I would like to recommend the Youtuber Matthewmatosis. His videos are extremely in depth analyses of popular game series that move away from the usual discussion. Here's a link to his latest video: http://youtu.be/VdNhwb7iuI4

I am confused, is there going to be new content or rather video mirrors from screw attack or simply reposting of old screw attack videos? Or is it going to be completely original content through content collaboration?

Unless it is the latter it seems kind of pointless, couldn't I hypothetically just go to screw attack and view their stuff there?
I cannot see the brilliance of this, so could someone please clarify.

For the record The Escapist, Penny Arcade and Screw Attack/Game Trailers are my primary venues for gaming related entertainment and information.

And here I thought for a while it was just Screwattack screwing around in my Escapist. Good to know there'll be other content later.

Is this why Susan left?

Right, just what the "audience" wanted.... more unrelated crap, that got nothing to do with the escapist original spirit.

It's not enough that by now it got advertis... sorry, i mean "news" stuff plugged by 3rd parties, that got nothing at all to do with videogames. BUT i guess it pays.

It's not enough that by now it got all kinds of stupid badges and toys and crap, which add exactly zero to community discussion and just feels like "archievement unlocked, the forum game". But i guess... it might result in additional pageviews which might partially increase the clicks on advert... sorry, i mean "news" plugged and paid for, by third parties.

It's not enough that we got MTV host... sorry, i mean lisa-bitch.... apparently being capable of doing nothing else than top-N things - oh, now THERE's something that is really rare on the net. But i guess.... more pageviews... more clicks on advert... sorry, i mean provided and paid for "content" by 3rd parties.

No, now we get "EXP". The name on it's own is already retarded... omg, it has X in it, so it gotta be kewl. It's just 10 years ago that microsoft pulled this retarded ... whatever. BUT look, EXP has "TEH BEST EVER" and ..... goddamnit, WHAT THE F****CK? What is this? If trashcan of the web?

You know what? I have only one question left: When will Shamus, Yahtzee and Jim, jump ship to other sites... like for example, Penny Arcade, which has a larger audience than Escapist, yet for some strange reason, by now has more brains, than the escapist. Escapist, which every day becomes ever more similiar to your average retarded corporate-sponsored-whore bullshit web portal?

Escapist, you once were exceptional. Now you just suck, and are only rescued from being simply an average advertisment site, calling itself news.... by you having a small handful of famous people onboard. Once those people jump ship, you've got nothing left to offer, because quite honestly, what you do currently, is being a complete bitch, and then holding up a small handful of people making sense, like a false ethic and intellectual shield. You no longer have your "stars" onboard, because this is what you strive for. You have them onboard, for them to act as a shield - to distract the audience from the fact, that by now the escapist is about the exact opposite, of those people.

Funny captcha: Foul play. How ironic.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here