Remember Me Review - Sadly Forgettable

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

What a wasted opportunity....

I actually wanted to buy it, because the concept looked interesting and I like female protagonists as well. But after having watched a few gameplay videos I was concerned that the game could be repetitive and boring. Well it looks like the concerns were justified.

No buy from me and one more game after which publishers are probably going to say that female protagonists aren't working.....

Of course it's never the game itself....

I don't understand the logic in the story.

If a sen-sen can get hacked, why did everyone adopt it in the first place? Memory changing? Drugs and alcohol do that just fine, why does that warrant an expensive surgery? Hell, even people in Ghost in the Shell didn't all get cyber brains.

And on top of that, why does the sen-sen make everyone turn into a junkie? Its like those strange prohibition propaganda where alcohol will cause everyone to be an alcoholic and society will collapse.

As a side note, every time I hear someone say some futuristic city name like "Neo-Paris" I immediately think of the robotic ghost of Christmas future from Aqua Teen and "Robo-France 29 in the year 9595." Might as well get him to narrate it too.

Damn.

When I first saw this game, it kind of made me excited. The concept seemed solid, and the story was intriguing. Oh well...

When a game is just 'meh,' I can shrug and move on. When a game has potential that it wastes, I become very sad.

I thought it looked kinda meh. Shame, barely any games out there with a playable female protag. We could use a killer app for that. This'll just convince more people that games sell poorly with female main characters. As supposed to the game, you know, just sucking.

What happens when you mix the combat of Batman: Arkham Asylum with the platforming of Uncharted and wrap it in an Asimov-esque sci-fi setting?

they should have included more oni in it.

hopefully it doesnt kill the ip before it has a chance to be improved in a sequel.

The problem I can see is that any failure of this game will be trumpeted by some as a failure due to playing a female protagonist.

Sadly, this sounds like it runs into exactly the issues it looked like it was going to. Great setting and concept brought down by uninspired on rails gameplay choices. I really really wanted this game to turn out better than it sounds like it did. :( Oh well, maybe once it hits the bargain bin...

This is one of those games that I knew I'd have to wait and see closer to the time. Will prob pick it up when it's cheap, but for now, I have plenty to play.

Slycne:
Remember Me is pretty forgettable.

Seems like a really fair and honest review, was hoping this would do better then it seems to. Sad really, the premise interested me a lot.

ahh poop this looked interesting too. definitely not one to pick up for me now

Shame.

It had some interesting ideas, so I was kind of hoping it would turn out decent. Of course, all the indicators were pointing at average, but still...

Oh, and as others have said, it will probably be chalked up as another case of a game failing because the main character comes with ovaries.

I'll probably pick it up for cheap at some point anyway.

ritchards:
The problem I can see is that any failure of this game will be trumpeted by some as a failure due to playing a female protagonist.

The problem I can see here is that it was REALLY over-hyped for some reason.

Anyone going into a game with such expectations is bound to be let down : /

It really is too bad, mostly because this was an opportunity to show that those things with double x chromosomes can be badass as well, and don't need big tits in order to be interesting.

So this game isn't great, brilliant or perfect? So what? It has an interesting concept and setting, seems to play well enough and has a protagonist that isn't a 6 foot tall beefcake.

You know what? I'm going to go out on a limb and buy this. I'm always up for supporting new IPs and devs that actually try to defy the normal template of most triple A games. To write it off as rubbish before I've even played it personally would be disingenuous and ultimately harmful to the industry as a whole. Look at Mirror's Edge, it had a ton of problems and objectively it wasn't a great game by any means but there are plenty of people excited for the sequel.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate reviews and I trust the Escapist's collective opinions but some things I have to experience myself.

Ultratwinkie:
If a sen-sen can get hacked, why did everyone adopt it in the first place? Memory changing? Drugs and alcohol do that just fine, why does that warrant an expensive surgery? Hell, even people in Ghost in the Shell didn't all get cyber brains.

And on top of that, why does the sen-sen make everyone turn into a junkie? Its like those strange prohibition propaganda where alcohol will cause everyone to be an alcoholic and society will collapse.

I'm guessing it would be useful for implanting knowledge. An increasingly complex technology base is going to require longer and longer study times in order to create and maintain. Zap. You just learned how to do it in a few seconds. It's probably a lot cheaper than going to university for an engineering degree. Of course I have no idea if that's how the process works in the game universe, but it's an answer.

As for the second, no idea.

OT: Style over substance eh? Very cyberpunk.

I feared this would happen D:

It's a shame, because the game looks really pretty. Shame there's no substance there.

Yuuki:

ritchards:

The problem I can see here is that it was REALLY over-hyped for some reason.

Anyone going into a game with such expectations is bound to be let down : /

It really was part of that due to her gender and the devs being all like "we were fighting for our female protag!" Sure sure your really progressive except when it comes to gameplay ideas.lol

Ultratwinkie:
I don't understand the logic in the story.

Well, obviously you never tried drinking away bad memories.
childhood trauma's and PTSD can not be taken away with drugs and alcohol, it sticks with you, probably, forever, the best you could do is try to deal with it, which is why the army employs entire battalions worth of psychiatrists.
(or oughta anyway)

but, what if you could actually take those horrors away? they could be valuable experiences but what if they're more trouble than they're worth?
what about rape victims? abused children? if given the choice, would you rather have it removed, or go into therapy.

another one the trailer mentioned was "world wide empathy", what if you could, instead of argueing your case, let someone else experience your perspective on things? let them know exactly why you feel the way you do.
imagine, a world without friendzone threads!

shame the game turned out this way, I'll pick it up when the price goes down, methinks.

I'm going to buy it with the Steam sales. I love Sci Fi settings and the idea sounded good enough. And we definitely need more games with female protagists.

i thought as much that its not going to be a great game but at least an enjoyable one. im still looking forward to it since i have made my pre order. good to hear its not a terrible game.

It's a shame, but I thought it may end up like this. The setting and the style caught my attention, but the game-play and trailers did absolutely nothing for me for pretty much the reasons given in the review.

I may pick it up in the future when it's cheaper, but I haven't even gotten around to playing Metro: Last Light yet, and that game seems to deliver on it's promises a lot more.

Such a shame, When I first heard about it I was looking forward to it then I saw a gameplay trailer which looked average and now it seems that has been confirmed. At least it's not terrible so I will probably buy it at when it gets cheaper.

I guess people just too used to 3D now. I remembered those 16bit days where everything was in 2D but they still managed to make games with exploration elements like in super metriod. Now that we got 3D you'd think they'll all adopt the freedom of open world like assassin's creed and GTA. Instead we still get those boring rail shooters and adventure on rails.

It's almost like whoever's making the game isn't respecting the players, they want us to play how THEY want us to play.

I don't understand why so many people are writing the game off, I would rather experience it for myself then listen to someone else say whether its good or bad, but meh.

I am still going to buy the game, and I will probably enjoy it. Been looking forward to it, and the gameplay videos made it look like something I would enjoy.

dumbseizure:
I don't understand why so many people are writing the game off, I would rather experience it for myself then listen to someone else say whether its good or bad, but meh.

Because experiencing it for myself will cost $50 and eight hours.

Unless you're about to buy me a copy...

I played the a demo of Remember Me at London Comic Con and I noticed three things:
1. Camera was clunky
2. Exploration was non-existent
3. I freaking loved Neo-Paris!

It's a shame that the game turns out to be so short.
And although I felt it would be rail road-like from fight to fight, I'd hoped there'd be small 'hub' levels that would be open to a little exploration.

I didn't expect this to be Bladerunner with memories but that the obvious traps (repeatative combat, unrealised memory features) were fallen into is such a shame.

A rent is certainly still going to happen though.

I think am still going to rent it or buy used.

The thing that will be upsetting about this game is that everyone will criticize it for the plot, yet the suits in the game industry will twist it and say it failed because it had a female protagonist.
This is coupled by the fact that there was hardly any advertising for it.
Seriously, how many people would've known about this game if it wasn't for the controversy around the dev team almost being forced to change the gender of the main protagonist? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong sites, but I haven't seen so much as a flash advertisement for it. Heck, even I didn't know the name of the game until I had to look up the controversy behind the gender of the protagonist.

On that it's a shame really. I really REALLY like the design of the protagonist. Props to the design team for that.

Also, something to think about, do you guys think that it's short and uninteresting because they didn't get a big budget for leaving the protagonist as female?
I know some Escapist critics have stated, or quoted that game publishers aren't willing to sink nearly as much money into games that feature women as the main characters as their counterparts.

Steam sales seem to be the way to go. I'm kind of interested still, i'd rather have a short and okay story rather than a tedious boring one.

I just hope that if this game doesn't do well it isn't used as an excuse not to have female leads in games.

I can't really say this is a shame or that I'm disappointed, since I didn't really have high hopes for it. Before I even saw or heard of any of the gameplay features, the only news I heard was that the developers were fighting to keep the protagonist female, and more of an everyday type as well instead of a fantasy one. This had me worried, in so much as this large focus on this aspect made me wonder if the game had anything gameplay wise to offer, or if it was trying to distract us with the nature of the protagonist in this industry.

Once gameplay actually came out, everything I saw came with a "...but" The environments looked great and would look great to explore...but how free is the platforming? The memory hacking looks like an interesting diversion/gameplay mechanic that can help pacing...but how will this game make me feel like this is a new mechanic? The combat looks like it could offer some interesting play-styles...but how free is the combat actually?

One last thing before I go; I'm not sure people will chalk this up to "The game failed because of a female protagonist", and I say that because this game coming out so soon to The Last of Us will probably just serve to be that excuse of "The game failed because the publisher was dumb enough to compete with a much more high-profile game" If the female protagonist aspect plays any part, I think it would be "Instead of talking about how good your game is because it has a female protagonist, just focus on making a good game that happens to have a female protagonist"

Great. Yet another game with other problems that will be spouted out as "proof" that female protagonists don't work. Thanks, Dontnod. Though at least they're trying; sadly, publishers and dudebros won't see it that way.

This makes me feel like when Pandora tosses me a song that I hate from a band that I love. I don't want to up-vote it, because I don't like the song and don't want to keep hearing it. But I want to hear more from the band on my station, so I want to up-vote it somehow. I just want to "like" part of it, not all of it.

Perhaps I'll play through a few other games in my queue and then pick it up a bit later.

It sounds to me like the game's only real flaw is that it is an easy game: The combat is easy to spam, the platforming mechanics points its way through the realistic environments...

The only real flaw that is not mechanic based, according to the review, is that the world and story is interesting but you cannot explore more of it. This seems to be a flaw in genre choosing rather than anything else. The only game genre that does allow for free exploration of the world are sandbox and rpg games. Considering that this game has already done so much with the actually having a good story and voice acting I am not going to fault it for being too short and not giving you the freedom of Fallout and GTA and being too easy.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here