Remember Me Review - Sadly Forgettable

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

I just hope publishers don't use this game's lackluster reception as an excuse for not having female main characters in future games.

The reminds me of some hypothetical sequel to Ghost Trick with heavy action sequences. Ghost Trick's plot was more sensible, and it got way better review scores. I would play a crossover, probably.

MattAn24:
...Why do people instantly and blindly believe everything a reviewer says as law? Just because a reviewer thinks it isn't omg10/10preorderatgamestopdoritosmountaindew!!!1111oneone!111, doesn't mean you automatically have to as well!

Mindless sheep...

Well if a reviewer you mostly agree with doesn't like a game, it's generally a good indication that you won't enjoy it, and will be a waste of $60. For me personally, if I spend $60 on a game, I expect to love it. Otherwise it's just best to get it on a Steam sale, and to save the money for something else. I'll still get the game, just much later and much cheaper.

So a 3 out of 5 doesn't mean "don't buy" to me, it means "wait". And I'm sure it means that to others as well.

So the game is commended for its:

- Storytelling.
- Voice-acting.
- Potentially raising food for thought, with regards to the subject matter.
- The setting.
- Visual design of landscapes and architecture.

Criticism I don't agree with:

- The combat system being similar to that of Arkham Asylum. Forgive me if I'm off base, but wasn't that particular combat system largely praised by gamers?

- "Serviceable platforming" - at least it isn't broken. Personally, I wouldn't consider that a point to mark the game down.

- Notifications guiding the player forward progress - A feature which is largely included in most games these days.

- Memory remixing: It may not function perfectly, but I'm intrigued by the concept and can even forgive the downfall of the gameplay mechanics used to manipulate the system. Sounds like fun to me.

- "An interesting big-idea sci-fi setting cannot hold the whole game together"

I have to fully disagree. Personally, I'm reminded of Bioshock. The setting enhanced the game and served to drive the gameplay forward while roping you into the story and atmosphere. Bioshock would be nothing without Rapture/Columbia. Spec Ops: The Line would be nothing without the meta-narrative and Captain Walker.

Criticisms I can get behind:

- Lack of exploration.
- Extreme linearity.

I love exploring and it's disheartening to discover that this game seemingly has very little of it. However, I don't have a problem with linearity in gameplay if it serves a narrative purpose.

Overall:

"Remember me doesn't do anything outright terrible. Neither does it come together as something truly great."

This sounds like a good game, maybe not a great game, but definitely not a "forgettable game". A forgettable game is something which is functionally broken, uninteresting or holds no lasting value. Remember Me doesn't strike me as a game deserving of that title at all.

Personally, I think this review is being unnecessarily harsh with its critique. Remember Me should be judged on it's own merits. Not by the way of side-by-side comparisons of other games with similar elements.

RipVanTinkle:

snip

from what ive seen of the game the writing and voice acting is total shite, and the detailed environments mean you have to be lead through them like a dog on a lesh because they lack good enough game design. but that just from what i have seen of gameplay and such.

Saw this coming, videogamer.com posted a video say the game looked like balls from the demo they were allowed to play, so i was prepared for it to be met with substandard reviews

So, it's fairly average then?

Well, that's disappointing. I will still get it at some point just because I like the premise well enough and there really aren't very many new IPs floating around at the moment.

Meh I wasn't expecting anything revolutionary and I never got too hyped about it in the first place.
It looks interesting enough to hold my attention so I'll pick it up one day.

Ultratwinkie:
I don't understand the logic in the story.

If a sen-sen can get hacked, why did everyone adopt it in the first place? Memory changing? Drugs and alcohol do that just fine, why does that warrant an expensive surgery? Hell, even people in Ghost in the Shell didn't all get cyber brains.

And on top of that, why does the sen-sen make everyone turn into a junkie? Its like those strange prohibition propaganda where alcohol will cause everyone to be an alcoholic and society will collapse.

As a side note, every time I hear someone say some futuristic city name like "Neo-Paris" I immediately think of the robotic ghost of Christmas future from Aqua Teen and "Robo-France 29 in the year 9595." Might as well get him to narrate it too.

You've hit what annoys me most about the premise right on the head, who in their right minds develops a system where other people can change your memories? That's rather more important than a computer being hacked.
Also, nowadays whenever I hear about a futuristic city where science has caused a degradation and insanity of people while the pioneers get to muck about I can't help but think of Bioshock. Leapers=Splicers anyone?

wolf thing:

RipVanTinkle:

snip

from what ive seen of the game the writing and voice acting is total shite, and the detailed environments mean you have to be lead through them like a dog on a lesh because they lack good enough game design. but that just from what i have seen of gameplay and such.

Then again, I may be completely wrong when I get around to purchasing the game, in which case, I'll be disappointed, but it isn't the end of the world. I tend to be very apologetic to a game's mechanical flaws and more appreciative of an overall concept and story. But that's just me. :)

I was merely listing my particular criticisms with this review in particular. There seemed to be more positive attributes mentioned instead of outright negative one's. (I'm going off the video review.) It just made me feel like the review was overly harsh.

Tenmar:
Anyone else thought this would of been a better game if they went in the path of Heavy Rain? Honestly for all the hype and controversy to which was the doing of the developers themselves, they only have themselves to blame. This was their DEBUT game as a development team and the first moment of controversy they went hollering. I certainly side with them as the choice of what gender and such should be made by them and not the publisher but honestly there really is no focus aside from the concept to which you really can't do anything about.

I mean the setting still has potential but as much as I love brawlers I mean even THE BOUNCER by Squaresoft gave players more to do than simply pressing X and Y and then dodging.

I think it'd have been better with a more Deus Ex approach. Fairly linear overall, but with multiple paths to take during each scenario that allows for re-playability. So perhaps you can take the violent approach, or if you want you can go down the memory hacking route and so on.

Obviously not a clone of Deus Ex, or else the memory thing would just be a gimmick, but I think that direction would have been the kind of way to lean more than what they went with.

I think it's juuuust different enough that I might give it a try... when the price comes down.

It still tickles me how strongly they fought for their female protagonist, a casual person instead of the super heroine with sex appeal as part of the character....then the bottom half of the box art is just HER ASS....NICE ONE, ALL MY HIGH FIVES FOR YOUR INTEGRITY.....ya goofs.

I'm still planning on giving the game a chance - the setting and storyline hooked me - but I'm going to wait for the price to drop to 40. I can't justify spending 60 on something without a lot of replay value. I've enjoyed plenty of games that are linear though, as well as games that only received average reviews.

Awww...how disappointing. I was looking forward to this game. Oh well, I'm sure I'll still get it but it'll be a $20 max game.

Tenmar:
Anyone else thought this would of been a better game if they went in the path of Heavy Rain?

No. Every video game is better off being not like Heavy Rain, even Heavy Rain would have been...

Anyway I will stick with Remember Me because the whole packet seems still interesting enough for me. And everything else atm seems pretty "meehhh".
Kinda interesting though to see so many disappointed people. I mean video gameplay demonstrations of this game have been around basically since its announcement.
This review does not reveal anything that I couldn't have already told from those videos.

As far as scores go I personally don't give a fuck about them but slightly above average is usually considered to be still recommendable to fans of the genre or subject matter.

It doesn't sound that bad to me. I mean, Dishonored's setting was way more interesting than its main plot, and that game was still really good. I doubt Remember Me will have as much replay value as Dishonored, but that's okay, neither did Tomb Raider.

ritchards:
The problem I can see is that any failure of this game will be trumpeted by some as a failure due to playing a female protagonist.

I'm afraid of that as well. Mediocre reviews, short playtime, not much marketing (I think) - but should it not sell well, it'll surely be the female protagonist's fault.

ProfMcStevie:
It still tickles me how strongly they fought for their female protagonist, a casual person instead of the super heroine with sex appeal as part of the character....then the bottom half of the box art is just HER ASS....NICE ONE, ALL MY HIGH FIVES FOR YOUR INTEGRITY.....ya goofs.

Yea, that does indeed send an ambiguous message.

RipVanTinkle:

Criticism I don't agree with:

- The combat system being similar to that of Arkham Asylum. Forgive me if I'm off base, but wasn't that particular combat system largely praised by gamers?

- "Serviceable platforming" - at least it isn't broken. Personally, I wouldn't consider that a point to mark the game down.

- Notifications guiding the player forward progress - A feature which is largely included in most games these days.

- Memory remixing: It may not function perfectly, but I'm intrigued by the concept and can even forgive the downfall of the gameplay mechanics used to manipulate the system. Sounds like fun to me.

- "An interesting big-idea sci-fi setting cannot hold the whole game together"

I have to fully disagree. Personally, I'm reminded of Bioshock. The setting enhanced the game and served to drive the gameplay forward while roping you into the story and atmosphere. Bioshock would be nothing without Rapture/Columbia. Spec Ops: The Line would be nothing without the meta-narrative and Captain Walker.

Yes, I meant that Arkham Asylum and Uncharted we examples of these mechanics and systems being at their best and Remember Me wasn't doing them as well. Those specific aspects of Remember Me's combat mechanics worked well, the repetitious enemies without other means of dispatching or subverting and the broken combo system dragged it down.

The whole issue of only serviceable platforming, guiding the player and exploration all go hand in hand for me. Instead of feeling like your in this world, it's just busy work to move you to the next fight arena. Push control stick in direction of arrow and press A until another wide open fight room appears, rinse and repeat.

I don't disagree with you on setting, which makes me think you're misinterpreting my point. BioShock is good setting and good gameplay. Remember Me is good setting and bad gameplay. A single weight won't balance out the scales on either end, at least for this specific genre.

Slycne:

Yes, I meant that Arkham Asylum and Uncharted we examples of these mechanics and systems being at their best and Remember Me wasn't doing them as well. Those specific aspects of Remember Me's combat mechanics worked well, the repetitious enemies without other means of dispatching or subverting and the broken combo system dragged it down.

The whole issue of only serviceable platforming, guiding the player and exploration all go hand in hand for me. Instead of feeling like your in this world, it's just busy work to move you to the next fight arena. Push control stick in direction of arrow and press A until another wide open fight room appears, rinse and repeat.

I don't disagree with you on setting, which makes me think you're misinterpreting my point. BioShock is good setting and good gameplay. Remember Me is good setting and bad gameplay. A single weight won't balance out the scales on either end, at least for this specific genre.

I mentioned in a previous post that I could be devastatingly wrong, however, you have played the game and I have not.
So I can definitely respect your informed analysis and viewpoints. :)

Although personally, I put greater emphasis on setting, story and themes over gameplay. While there should obviously be a standard of good and polished gameplay. I tend to be very forgiving and work with functioning gameplay while I get wrapped up in the world.

It's disappointing to hear about the repetitious nature of the game's enemy variation and exploitative combat.

All in all, I appreciate the reply and more insight from you. I do hope that I did not come across as hostile in my previous message, forgive me if that was the case, that truly was not my intention.

Admittedly, I had high-hopes for the game. To be safe, would you recommend that this is a game that should drop in price before purchasing? Again, thank you for the reply. :)

RipVanTinkle:
All in all, I appreciate the reply and more insight from you. I do hope that I did not come across as hostile in my previous message, forgive me if that was the case, that truly was not my intention.

Admittedly, I had high-hopes for the game. To be safe, would you recommend that this is a game that should drop in price before purchasing? Again, thank you for the reply. :)

No worries, just want to make sure everyone has a clear understanding before they do or don't make a purchase.

Value is always hard to nail down because it fluctuates from person to person, and that's usually where it helps to find reviewers that share similar appreciations as your own. I think it's perfectly reasonable to like and purchase a game that's only 3/5. For instance, I have a quite irrational adoration for the old Robotech: Battlecry game despite that being mostly reviewed in the mixed to average range. As I alluded at the end of the review, I think Remember Me is in the rent or wait for it to go on sale bag. With so many other great games out there, I think that those gaming dollars can be better spent until the price aligns closer to the value of the experience.

nodlimax:
What a wasted opportunity....

I actually wanted to buy it, because the concept looked interesting and I like female protagonists as well. But after having watched a few gameplay videos I was concerned that the game could be repetitive and boring. Well it looks like the concerns were justified.

No buy from me and one more game after which publishers are probably going to say that female protagonists aren't working.....

Of course it's never the game itself....

Dang, took the words right out of my mouth. I've been following this for a while, seemed like it'd push my particular buttons, but... I dunno, guess I'll wait for a price drop.

Personally, when I see a game with a female protagonist, it piques my interest. I'm tired of generic caucasian male shoots everything and wins - in fact, I never found it interesting in the first place. It's so omnipresent that anything that looks like it might buck the trend merits a look from me. It's a shame that if this doesn't do well, it'll be blamed on the female protagonist. Alas.

MattAn24:
...Why do people instantly and blindly believe everything a reviewer says as law? Just because a reviewer thinks it isn't omg10/10preorderatgamestopdoritosmountaindew!!!1111oneone!111, doesn't mean you automatically have to as well!

Mindless sheep...

You...

You just said that, with no trace of irony whatsoever...

Oh dear.

Look what you did! Why would you do that!

shrekfan246:
So 7/10's aren't worth peoples' time anymore?

Due to the prices games are being sold at, it's sad but true. If I could drop $60 for an average game that's only 8 hours I'd love to, but I can't.

I hate when a publisher takes a risk and it doesn't pay off. Capcom took a risk picking this IP up when no one else would and I was REALLY hoping they could us it as a "See, sometimes it pays to take a risk!" Even with the average reviews I still would buy the game, if just to show my support for Capcom taking a risk, but since the game is so short and little replay value I simply can't afford it.

The game slightly reminded me of P.N.03 when I first saw it. Now the reviews are similar also. :(

MattAn24:

Random Argument Man:
AH! That title!

It's sad that it's a forgettable game. I foresee that Capcom will use its excuse "Female leads don't sell video games" to justify the sales if they're poor. It's never "We made a bad game".

Aaahhh...sad.

Capcom didn't make it. DONTNOD did. Capcom merely published it when countless other publishers literally refused because it had a female lead character, and supposedly those don't sell.

Don't care, preordered on Steam because fuck what society and reviewers think.

Well if it's good, let me know. I usually wait for a general feedback. Still, sometimes I can be surprised.

Thank you for clarifying about Capcom and publishing.

I was hoping this game would be better, and it is hard to ascertain considering the reviews from various sites are all over the place. My spare cash is already reserved for The Last of Us anyway, but I definitely see purchasing this game in the future, once the price drops a bit. The fighting mechanic interested me from when I saw the first demo, and if I can enjoy Dragon Age 2 with all it's repetitiveness, then this will probably be in the same ballpark.

Americans are like this. They keep whining their toys are always the same, but when they get a new one, they get scared and run back to the good old tit.

I will buy and play Remember Me even if I have to be buttraped by the devil himself when doing so, just for the sake of playing a new IP that doesn't stink of deathly design by committee.

getting it regardless. even if the combat sucks, the story looks really interesting, and I will do my damndest to support well-written female protagonists. I just hope these reviews don't scare off the industry from making more:
a) original IP
b) creative storylines (aka, not WWII/middle east/soviet plotline)
c) female/non-white/non-american protagonists

As everybody else is saying here, this game is just another reason for guy's in suits to reject game's with female protagonists. Oh well, setting my expectations accordingly, at least my money is going towards statistics that a game with a female protagonist can sell, because if there is anything a suit loves more its an easy sell.

I'm about an hour in and very much enjoying it so far. I wouldn't mind a bit more exploration, but I don't think I'd want it to be a completely open world sandbox either. Those types of games tend to remove any sense of urgency I feel in regards to the plot, with maybe some exceptions. I'm finding the combat to be far more enjoyable than I expected. Breaking combos to dodge incoming attacks is nice and fluid, and pulling off combos feels pretty satisfying.

The scenery is absolutely gorgeous, so far there's been something interesting to see in every screen. It seems well optimized for PC, too. I don't have the best graphics card (GTX 560ti) but I'm running it on high settings without a hitch. The voice acting is actually quite solid, far better than I expected from some of the trailers anyway. I am enjoying the plot quite a bit, but it should be noted that I'm a sucker for cyberpunk.

Considering how short it apparently is, I could understand not wanting to pay the full price. Luckily I got a good deal from green man gaming, so the $37 I paid for it seems fair.

Damn that's a shame I really wanted this to be good.

The "I'm the hunter" line...I really hope that isn't in the actual game. It sounds so cliche and stupid. It makes for a great trailer soundbite, but really, people don't say things like that in real life.

Well, unless they are being ironic, or explaining some master plan. But certainly not when they are on the run and referencing themselves...it just comes across as so egotistical.

xdiesp:
Americans are like this. They keep whining their toys are always the same, but when they get a new one, they get scared and run back to the good old tit.

You think only Americans dont want a dull game? HAHAHAHAHA. Wow what a xenophobe you are.

kakeroo:
"i am the hunter, why am i being hunted?"

- because there's always a bigger fish

I cast summon bigger fish!

dumbseizure:
I don't understand why so many people are writing the game off, I would rather experience it for myself then listen to someone else say whether its good or bad, but meh.

Because for a game with boring gameplay, a short and linear campaign, and a mediocre story but an interesting world... you could just A) rent the game, and play it for 1/6th the price B) Buy it used for 1/2 the price, C) watch the story bits on youtube for 0/6ths of the price or D) wait for a sale and buy it when its more reasonably priced for what you get.

There are people I am sure who will throw their money away on a 'meh' product because they wanna take an imagined stand for womenz in gamez, or because its a new IP and they wanna stick it to the man somehow like the xenophobe I quoted above, but really these are just folks that really have nothing better to throw money at.

Now, as for the OT: Meh, You knew it wouldnt be that great from watching their gameplay trailers, their cinematic trailers and what not.

And seriously, the city might seem pretty cool, but the technology in the game... is absolutely retarded. Everyone in france in the future must have their head slammed into a brick wall by law as a child to think that those implants are a good idea.. "Hey sure, I will let some dude poke around in my head and change my memories, That cant go wrong at all!"

And the visual design of the implants? Terrible... who would want a glowy little circle floating around behind your neck for no reason?

Based on the review comments, more open exploration would have helped especially since the character is a memory hunter so it would make sense. Definitely will be checking it out as I like to try new game premises. My rough initial impressions is that the game feels rushed in development and did not get fully fleshed out into a more robust game hmm.

That's really disheartening to hear. Despite the review, I still feel some inclination to buy the game anyway, for no other reason than to vote with my wallet and send the message that I'm looking for video games to take a different direction and expand its horizons (or, at the very least, convincingly pretend like it is doing such, cause, right now, it's not even doing that). Having an interesting world, different and intriguing gameplay/game-mechanics/story concepts, and opening video games to the idea that not every protagonist has to be the muscle-bound dudebro or the scantly clad skank in order to hold gamer's interests is something I would like very much to see happen in video games. I would like very much to see the intellectual and creativity inbreeding that so saturates triple-A gaming come to an end (or at the least, be reduced by 80-90%), and the only way to send that message is voting with my wallet. As I have said many, many times, a company hears and understands only two sounds, the creak of your wallet opening and the slap of your wallet closing; all other sounds are noise to be ignored. How could I possibly continue with such a mantra if I don't adhere to it myself? At least the developer was somewhat trying or gave the impression they were (too bad their gameplay choices fell short).

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here