Jim & Yahtzee's Rhymedown Spectacular: A Game Within A Game

Pages 1 2 NEXT

A Game Within A Game

Put on your poetry hats and join two of the greatest wordsmiths of our generation as they fill your ears with verse.

Watch Video

Yahtzee's last line killed me. Great as always, this series must never die

doggy go 7:
Yahtzee's last line killed me.

Me too. That was so beautiful and moving. Love it.

These were both fantastic. Love this series.

Whew, glad it turned out to be a diamond
For a minute there I had the strangest urge to... kill the phonies

Here's an interesting comparison: the little shit that was actually a diamond is like those retro-styled indie games. After all, diamonds are made of carbon that has been compressed over many years. Some carbon is less compressed, such as graphite and coal, but they're still much better than plain old turds.

To take recent Kickstarter examples, Shovel Knight is a "diamond" like NES Megaman that has been finished and polished to shine ever brighter; enemies have many frames of animation, while the game seems to be expanded to multiplayer. Also, A Hat in Time is "coal" like Zelda: Wind Waker (in visual style, while it plays like Mario Sunshine) that is very functional and... well, Gamecube isn't nearly as old as NES. The analogy ends there.

Very good. Though one should bear in mind that there are still plenty of Indie games up for voting on Greenlight that aren't diamonds. They're just dingleberries.

Okay long day at work, sweltering heat, time to sit down and watch Rymedown Spectacular with a nice cool chocolate cornetto...

Yahtzee "Once there was a little turd..."

...and there goes my appetite.

XD God Damnit, I watch this stuff with breakfast. I chose a bad morning for Waffles and Syrup XD. I am very glad I decided to watch Zero Punctuation first though, so I managed to eat something XD.

As for Jim's.... Well, Captchas just telling me "Science. It works." Looks like Captcha and Kinect are now working together D:

It's fitting, then, that my little niece was in need of a diaper change just as I began watching.

Never fear Jim the machine uprising will be delayed for quite some time yet, as nobody ever bought a kinect.

Also we all could learn a lot from Yahtzee today about how not to judge others for being different, how everyone is special in their own way, and that steam is a gift of God to unworthy men.

Yahtzee made me think of the Great Might Poo.

And I loved the background music with Jim's poem.

Yahtzee's reminded me of My Hanky from South Park and Jim's would make a pretty epic metal song.

the second Jim finished the Terminator music started in my head XD

Yahtzee told the cutest and funniest story about crap I have ever heard! As soon as I read the title, "50 Shades of Brown", I knew there would be fun times ahead.

Rex Dark:
Yahtzee made me think of the Great Might Poo.

And I loved the background music with Jim's poem.

I couldn't stop thinking that NintendoCaprisun would love the poem Yahtzee made. Please tell me that I'm not the only one? XD

OT: And now to sit and wait patiently for the next one. *grabs tiny seat, puts it in corner, sits and waits patiently*
...Is it next week yet?

Poetry in its most liberal use of the word. Still funny though!

Nice. Jim's idea is exaggerated though. Microsoft's software isn't going to get self-learning any time soon, much less self-aware. And machines can not exist without humans. We still haven't got a structure complex enough to even think up designs like a human can. Another thing to note is that a self-aware piece of tech would most likely not be able to do much in a world which is still reliant on manual labor and stiffly mounted single-purpose robots. Also, Windows. Whatever intelligence that conjures, it either deletes itself because it's stupid, buggy or becomes self-aware and realises just how stupid the OS it's running on is.

This has quickly become my favorite feature of Escapist Magazine. Can't say there's been a single reading that I haven't thoroughly enjoyed. Of course, at least if you ask me, Yahtzee and Jim are the two best writers here - writing their scripts, that is - and as an English major (i.e. some who's been forced to read quite a bit of poetry), I've gotta say I love how their linguistic skills have translated into the form of poetry. Keep it up guys!

Matthi205:
Nice. Jim's idea is exaggerated though. Microsoft's software isn't going to get self-learning any time soon, much less self-aware. And machines can not exist without humans. We still haven't got a structure complex enough to even think up designs like a human can. Another thing to note is that a self-aware piece of tech would most likely not be able to do much in a world which is still reliant on manual labor and stiffly mounted single-purpose robots. Also, Windows. Whatever intelligence that conjures, it either deletes itself because it's stupid, buggy or becomes self-aware and realises just how stupid the OS it's running on is.

I think you're thinking wwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaayyy too much into this, my friend. Of course it's exaggerated, the notion that Kinect can become a world overlord and leader of the machines is ridiculous. The point of the poem is to sum up people's disgust with the fact that the new Kinect will always be on, always "watching" you, and has such creepy features as facial recognition and heart rate monitoring. The thing about poems is that they tend to be...well..."poetic". That is, they use metaphor and allegory to make a point.

What's more poetic:
"She has pretty red hair."
or "Her hair is like a fiery blaze that held my eyes enraptured as the flames danced along the breeze"?
Sure, the first option gets the basic point across while the second one is exaggerated, but they both still mean the same thing.

TL/DR Don't be like the people commenting in Zero Punctuation who actually believe that Yahtzee is a bitter, pissed off Australian who hates the world, hates 90% of the games he plays, and seriously makes you wonder why he'd take a job reviewing things he hates so much. It's just his shtick, it's his gag. In this case, you shouldn't believe that Jim ACTUALLY believes that when/if the earth falls to AI overlords it'll all be because of the Kinect.

Hoooooooraaayyyy for Jim! That was beautiful and dark.

It creeped me out good. ;)

Is it just me, or does Yahtzee look like Notch?

Great video, as ever.

And with that, I'm officially sick of people suggesting the Kinect will destroy the human race. It was a good finale, but please, people, that joke has been made.

Wait, so... someone ate a diamond?

...Why?

The last line of Yahzee's poem was the best part.

And I also have this strange urge to watch Terminator 2 again.

both were solid poems.

50 Shades of Brown is the most awesome title .

Zeles:
Wait, so... someone ate a diamond?

...Why?

Jim's rhyme made me itchy for a Butlerian Jihad.

oh boy. i can't wait to hear Yahtzee have a lovely, lovely metaphorical and deep poem
*watches the first 10 seconds*
OKAY! forget what i just said.

Jim's was actually really creepy, in a good way. actually a really cool way breath new life in to tell a story that, since the terminator movies have been so chewed up it is almost impossible for it to be interesting anymore. kudos

wow.. the lyrics are oddly disturbing. Not what to say about this batch...

This show is probably the best new thing the escapist has come up with this year, keep going you magnificent bastards.

But Yahtzee, you CAN polish a turd...

Although it's still a turd.

Yahtzee's poem was a new high in this series. I like it more and more every week.

empirialtank:
Never fear Jim the machine uprising will be delayed for quite some time yet, as nobody ever bought a kinect.

Also we all could learn a lot from Yahtzee today about how not to judge others for being different, how everyone is special in their own way, and that steam is a gift of God to unworthy men.

your missing the point, you don't buy kinects anymore; they come with the xbox1/10.

qeinar:

empirialtank:

your missing the point, you don't buy kinects anymore; they come with the xbox1/10.

I think my point still stands because no one is going to buy that either. lol

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or