Zero Punctuation: Next Gen Buyer's Guide

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Another Yahtzee bash-by-numbers of Nintendo. Color me surprised.

The dearth of new releases post-launch is certainly not much fun, and it doesn't help that various Wii U exclusives are being delayed for the sole purpose of turning them into non-exclusives, but we picked one up on launch day and my entire family is playing games and having fun. I'm not sure what else I'm supposed to expect it to do.

Next Gen Buyer's Guide

This week, Zero Punctuation takes a look at the three next gen consoles.

Watch Video

Not that I can really blame you, but I was kinda hoping for a 20 second joke video. But then again, I guess you can only say "Piss off and let me enjoy my holiday" so many times before it stops being funny.

The fact that it was funny at all the first time probably says something about our collective self-esteem, but I'm too unsure of myself to take a stab at what it is.

Ah Yahtzee... propagating the PC Master Race are we? Thank Go-- I mean GabenN.

hehehe, that was actually a pretty good joke. no opinion change on Yahtzee's side, thanks for the update.

This is why I'm using my Christmas money to buy a PS3 and use the change to raid the Steam sale. The new consoles just don't seem to be worth the money.

Sorry Yahtzee... alread bought, about a year ago.
I've had my WiiU since last xmas, I didn't own a 360 or PS3 so I've been enjoying the hell out of my console with all the re-releases / ports from those two to the WiiU. I can't remember when was the last time I've played this much in 360 days. So for me the WiiU has been a great buy, and I still have a small backlog of games to buy, a few even Wii games, and it plays Wii games so that's great!
But yes, otherwise I can agree that the systems for this gen have been a bit strange since they all go for so much more than just gaming, while gaming is what we want. right?

Oh Yahtzee betting your money on desperate Microsoft :D Not rly predicting the momentum with consoles. To be fair Xbone is doing better then I expected so he might break even with that bet.

Um, why was the Jun 6th episode removed and reuploaded as this weeks episode?

Damn straight, Yahtzee!

I was close to considering buying a PS4, but instead just threw the money into getting a new Haswell and accompanying MOBO. Fare better investment putting money into getting high-end PC parts and get Steam sale games. There's no exclusive games worth playing at all on consoles, and many of the PC exclusives are becoming far more enjoyable (Minecraft mods anyone?).

This was taken down and reposted.
Wtf.

I mean you could have just said "fuck off"
This is so passive aggressive though

Deja Vu much?

Next-gen (well, current-gen now) is pretty much dead to me. I don't see myself getting any of the consoles anytime soon, if at all.

Though Hyrule Warriors does look pretty good.

Came in here thinking "Damn 300 posts already, does no one have anything else to do on christmas other than argue about consoles?" Then I realized it was the ollld episode.

Entertaining none the less. And the advice at the end of the video still holds so true.

So why is this old video being reposted again?, oh that's right, to bash the new consoles and what they have to offer, to have no other choice or justification according to many here but to just get a PC which is mentioned a lot.

Glad to see we have the freedom to change others choices based on ones logic.

dragonshardz:
Ah Yahtzee... propagating the PC Master Race are we? Thank Go-- I mean GabenN.

Never forget that his favorite class is The Spy...

Also I was sort of surprised we got a rerun this year although since that is what is mostly on TV it does seem sort of appropriate this time of the year...

Ok, so my mind is not completely f*****. I had the feeling that I've seen this episode before.

Anyway watched it again and the statement is still valid. No need for the next (now current) gen consoles. Sticking with the PC as always :)

Yeah. I agree. Not interested in the next-gen at this stage.

I've got what I need for the next dark souls and I have a pc (and steam).

Well I didn't get to comment on this the first time round. It was a pretty funny video and looking back on it now it seems weird. The PS4 wasn't even revealed at this point. Most of it has stayed the same though (Microsoft's change being the obvious exception) so I guess it's mostly relevant.

And it was re-uploaded because Yahtzee's on Christmas break, guys.

Shadow-Phoenix:
So why is this old video being reposted again?, oh that's right, to bash the new consoles and what they have to offer, to have no other choice or justification according to many here but to just get a PC which is mentioned a lot.

Glad to see we have the freedom to change others choices based on ones logic.

I'm pretty sure the rerun was "to make money for Ben and the Escapist and put up a video over the Christmas holiday because otherwise people would be all "where's Zero Punctuation? Was Yahtzee fired?"

I doubt Yahtzee needs a rerun to tell us how little the next gen consoles have to offer.

Evonisia:

I thought last week's video said clip show for this week, so I was a bit disappointed. I mean, first I find out there's no Santa Claus, and now this. Could today possibly get any worse?

samus17:
Deja Vu much?

I knew you were going to say that!

Zachary Amaranth:
snip

Would have been just as good to tell us to fuck off for wanting to buy a next gen though.

Either that or a pre recorded video for Christmas day ahead of schedule.

Zachary Amaranth:

Evonisia:

I thought last week's video said clip show for this week, so I was a bit disappointed. I mean, first I find out there's no Santa Claus, and now this. Could today possibly get any worse?

"Remember it's my Christmas break next week, I'll be spending it trying to think of five games this year I didn't totally despise". Well, that's what was said in the credits. I haven't really double checked each line of the whole video.

It didn't really imply that there would be any video this week.

So, who's going to flag Yahtzee for necroing a thread from 6 months ago? :-p

Shadow-Phoenix:

Would have been just as good to tell us to fuck off for wanting to buy a next gen though.

I'm not sure him bashing the consoles in any way diminishes you or your desires, but okay.

Evonisia:

It didn't really imply that there would be any video this week.

I am probably misremembering. Severe chronic pain + relatives who are complete inconsiderate has made me a little insane today, I think.

TheBlueRabbit:
So, who's going to flag Yahtzee for necroing a thread from 6 months ago? :-p

Not me, but he totally should have used the search bar to see if this had already been posted. It's just good nettiquite.

Zachary Amaranth:
I'm not sure him bashing the consoles in any way diminishes you or your desires, but okay.

No not really my own but it reinforces others opinions to sure as hell give anyone a time for choosing either one of them, not to mention how some can feel like shit if enough people shove hate in their faces based on what product they chose, that does happen in real life and not just the forums.

Shadow-Phoenix:

No not really my own but it reinforces others opinions to sure as hell give anyone a time for choosing either one of them, not to mention how some can feel like shit if enough people shove hate in their faces based on what product they chose, that does happen in real life and not just the forums.

So the problem isn't even his opinion, it's a majority opinion and he is telling people the equivalent of fuck off for mocking things....

No. Still don't get it. But in that case, isn't he doing this basically every week, and aren't you maybe watching the wrong show if you find that objectionable?

Zachary Amaranth:

Shadow-Phoenix:

So the problem isn't even his opinion, it's a majority opinion and he is telling people the equivalent of fuck off for mocking things....

No. Still don't get it. But in that case, isn't he doing this basically every week, and aren't you maybe watching the wrong show if you find that objectionable?

I love his show, what I don't like are bloody parrots that end up doing the whole "PC master race" joke he'd made and turned into something worse.

I'm not going to stay away from one mans show because of his opinion, it's everyone else turning it into shit that's the problem.

Why are you even asking/telling me any of this?, I'm not even here for a debate at all.

Shadow-Phoenix:
I love his show, what I don't like are bloody parrots that end up doing the whole "PC master race" joke he'd made and turned into something worse.

The fact that people don't realize that it was a satirical joke is just kinda depressing...

I for one am enjoying my 3dsXL, handhelds have always been good.

JarinArenos:

Shadow-Phoenix:

The fact that people don't realize that it was a satirical joke is just kinda depressing...

It's both a satirical joke and somewhat true at the same time.

Shadow-Phoenix:

Why are you even asking/telling me any of this?, I'm not even here for a debate at all.

Because comments on a site like this are not a one-way street, your statement still makes little sense to me, and therefore I am responding to get to the bottom of what looks like an irrational, hyperbolic claim.

I mean, you were complaining at first about him and what he always does but it was bad here for reasons you didn't fully explain. Now it's the mob mentality of his fans, but there's no real followthrough as to the A to B.

Nobody's asking for a debate, but clear statements and straightforward answers would be nice. There doesn't have to be a rule set or prep cards or timers.

JarinArenos:

It's simultaneously a joke and not until observed.

Zachary Amaranth:
snip

I suppose it makes little sense to you because you see nothing wrong at all with what Yahtzee says now and then but then again I doubt there's going to be any sense made at all from this because I have a feeling that even if I explained thoroughly, you'd still be the kind to shrug and go "nothing wrong there".

Sometimes I see this forum as a strict one way street.

But to be as blunt as possible, I like his show and who he is, I do not however love the effect rubbing off onto users and having them parrot what he says and then back it up as mere jokes but still using them in a passive aggressive.

You know what Yahtzee? No...

This console generation is great.

Both consoles are selling like crazy, regardless of what people might say I still think there's a whole bunch of great "next-gen" games. Both machines are great and fail-rates have been usually low for both machines. I've had the chance to play extensively on both machines at a friend's house, and guess what - this is coming from someone who has never owned a console and been playing exclusively on PC since I was seven.

And what I have to say is this: this whole "PC gaming, consoles such" bullshit is getting old. Really old. This kind of next-gen pessimism seems to be the "in thing" right now, in a sort of counter-reaction to all the hype, but let's not go so far as to unfairly call this new console era a failure when it so clearly is not.

Wait...I'm confused. Wasn't this video released a month or two back? I watched it half way before I realized it's the same video.

Did something change? Or did Yahtzee add something to it and Escapist bumped it up as "latest content"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here