Zero Punctuation: Next Gen Buyer's Guide

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

haha yahtzee hit it on the head

Dragonbums:
Wait...I'm confused. Wasn't this video released a month or two back? I watched it half way before I realized it's the same video.

Did something change? Or did Yahtzee add something to it and Escapist bumped it up as "latest content"

6 months ago actually.

And it's exactly the same video.
My guess is they had nothing to post over Christmas, so they just reposted this.

What's funny though, is that any normal user would get into trouble for necroing this thread.

The only thing funnier than watching all the people who don't get that it's a repost is seeing how many butt-hurt console owners feel that they need to defend their decisions. I am pleased

I feel like I have already seen this episode.. you are becoming increasingly boring Yahzee.
So many wrong facts.. so much fatalism... I mean, I agree that there isn't much to play on this consoles, but how is that news? it's always the same...
And yes.. the consoles are dying, surely, thats why they had the best launch in history.

I'm sure we will see many changes this generation, but really? so much bulshit tinfoil hat paranoia?

Shadow-Phoenix:
Snip.

Can't help but notice you didn't answer the question.

TomWiley:
Snip.

Just 'cause the consoles are selling well doesn't mean they're quality products. Don't get me wrong, though; I don't care what you buy. Get a current-gen console if you want one. Your life, not mine. I'm just here to point out your argument is kinda shallow.

As for me, though, I'm really not thinking I'm gonna get a new console. I've got a PC that plays games just fine, and I haven't seen any exclusives on any console that would really justify me buying one.

"Dolphin Shaggers" Dare I say, best game name ever...?

Luckily for you Yatzee Dolphin Shaggers is coming to the PS4! Glad I grabbed a PS4 for that alone.

Delcast:
I feel like I have already seen this episode.. you are becoming increasingly boring Yahzee.
So many wrong facts.. so much fatalism... I mean, I agree that there isn't much to play on this consoles, but how is that news? it's always the same...
And yes.. the consoles are dying, surely, thats why they had the best launch in history.

I'm sure we will see many changes this generation, but really? so much bulshit tinfoil hat paranoia?

Ouch, that is not a good look Delcast.

The PC fanboy mentality has become by far the most annoying thing about frequenting this site (and bear in mind, this is the site that regurgitates the same 500-post argument every time Anita Sarkeesian farts). As someone who plays his PC more often than his consoles, I have started thinking of myself as a console player because they're so annoying to associate with. Not all of them of course, but the ones that are so SMUG and so unwilling to accept that anyone could have a valid reason to want a console. And the 20 people who post in every thread just to say "Yeah, I don't need a console, I've got my PC and my Steam sale backlog" in a desperate quest for approval. And especially, ESPECIALLY the entitled people who refer to any situation where a console has an exclusive as "hostage-taking", even if the game was published and green-lit by the company that built the console and may well never have been made at all if the console manufacturer wasn't looking to move units.

/rant (sorry, I'm normally friendlier, this has just grated on me for months now).

JarinArenos:

Shadow-Phoenix:
I love his show, what I don't like are bloody parrots that end up doing the whole "PC master race" joke he'd made and turned into something worse.

The fact that people don't realize that it was a satirical joke is just kinda depressing...

Fan bases always DO have a tendency to misinterpret things. Heck, even using the term "Master Race" was meant to be an insult as that term is the kind of thing used solely by idiots who like to believe a Master Race exists in the first place.

Branindain:
The PC fanboy mentality has become by far the most annoying thing about frequenting this site (and bear in mind, this is the site that regurgitates the same 500-post argument every time Anita Sarkeesian farts). As someone who plays his PC more often than his consoles, I have started thinking of myself as a console player because they're so annoying to associate with. Not all of them of course, but the ones that are so SMUG and so unwilling to accept that anyone could have a valid reason to want a console. And the 20 people who post in every thread just to say "Yeah, I don't need a console, I've got my PC and my Steam sale backlog" in a desperate quest for approval. And especially, ESPECIALLY the entitled people who refer to any situation where a console has an exclusive as "hostage-taking", even if the game was published and green-lit by the company that built the console and may well never have been made at all if the console manufacturer wasn't looking to move units.

/rant (sorry, I'm normally friendlier, this has just grated on me for months now).

Console fanboys are no better really. It's just that they say things that isn't true actually. So many of them have been saying that the new consoles were going to be more powerful than a PC and would continue to be so for years. Yes, they are actually claiming that. Console fanboys often bicker among themselves which piece of hardware is better and which has the better graphics. The moment a PC user points out that PCs are much more powerful then graphics and hardware doesn't matter. If we are discussing the Wii VS PS3/Xbox 360 then graphics matter. If we are discussing the Wii U VS the Xbox One/PS4 then graphics matter. If we are discussing the PS4 vs PC then graphics don't matter at all.

It's not a matter of PC fanboys being worse. It's a lot more simple than that. Discussing any subject with someone who's frothing at the mouth as he makes his point which only covers his side of the case then that's obviously going to be a waste of time. Any kind is just as annoying. Try discussing gun control with someone who's completely convinced it will reduce the murder rates or someone who is convinced the world was created by a higher power. Most likely this will end up looking the same (in terms of annoyance) as someone who's convinced that the Wii U is going to dominate the market in 6 months.

Aiddon:

JarinArenos:

Shadow-Phoenix:
I love his show, what I don't like are bloody parrots that end up doing the whole "PC master race" joke he'd made and turned into something worse.

The fact that people don't realize that it was a satirical joke is just kinda depressing...

Fan bases always DO have a tendency to misinterpret things. Heck, even using the term "Master Race" was meant to be an insult as that term is the kind of thing used solely by idiots who like to believe a Master Race exists in the first place.

Everyone knew it was satirical - but the "PC Gaming Master Race" adopted it as a title because it was very fitting to their mindset. They way they view console wars - petty gripes between two inferior opponents - reinforces this belief (right or not) that they're a step above them. But it was, at the time, mostly a joke; consoles were still competing with PCs, largely because they had a reason to exist.

Times have changed, though. As much as this review is made to amuse, its underlying point is quite correct; consoles these days are watered down PCs on lockdown by the manufacturer in order to gouge as much money from consumers as possible. There's no competition, there's no reason to give good deals. Everything is run by a single company, and what that company says, goes. PC had always gotten around that, but today does an even greater job, offering unbeatable discounts from myriad sites all competing with one another, which, in the end, means the consumers get a better deal.

In the era when consoles could boast superior graphical fidelity, that was a +1 to them, but now they're worse graphically (by far, it's not even comparable really) and the gen has barely started. In a few short years PCs will be lightyears ahead, instead of just the few miles it's ahead already. Consoles are playing catch-up to a market that passed them by in 2008, and they're only hampered by the inability to upgrade individual components (a problem the steambox is attempting to fix, if all the hype is true... but I'm not holding out a ton of hope, despite being a valve "fanboi," I don't think their first attempt at a console will be terribly amazing, even if it's got revolutionary ideas).

When consoles were plug-and-play, where popping a disc in and turning the power on was all you needed to do, that was a huge leg up over the amount of preparation needed to game on PC. Installation, patching, etc all required a not-ignorable amount of time, and (in the 90s) serial codes got popular, and sometimes were buggy so you had to contact support and get issues fixed... etc. But now, consoles have lost this point, too. Consoles themselves have to be connected to the 'net for firmware updates for the system and accoutrements (like kinect, for example, which often takes ~10-15 minutes alone to update) and patches for various games, in addition to often required-pay services for simple things like online multiplayer. XBL was a neat service, but $50 for a year? $50 plus the ads that get shoved down your throat on an online service you're already paying to access? That just shows precisely what the company cares about; money over consumer comfort. Expect more of that this gen, it's not going away because console players don't seem to mind getting fucked in the ass and having their wallets raped.

As it stands, consoles have lost all "point" to existing. They are flat inferior gaming platforms to PCs from every objective viewpoint - smaller library, lack of backwards compatibility, worse hardware that only gets more and more dated as time goes on, being locked into a paid service to access any online features and being at the mercy of the company because of it. Exclusive games used to be a way for companies to attempt to compete; "oh hey, I'll release this thing for PS2, in addition to all the other reasons to buy a PS2, please buy a PS2 and my game!" But now, "all the other reasons" have evaporated. What was once icing on the cake of console gaming has become the bread, meat, cheese and lettuce all at once. The only reason to continue existing. And, as Yahtzee put it, that's not a feature anymore. It's not enticing. It's holding a title hostage, because the equation has become "hrm... is that single game worth the price of the game and the price of the whole console?"

The answer, obviously, is no. No single game is worth $460 or more.

I'd love to return to a time when consoles are the superior option for gaming; or, at least, a time when consoles had multiple strengths, simplicity of use and no bullshit patching. When 4 people could take an N64 and play goldeneye without logging into XBL or even being online at all. But because the companies holding the leash on each console are only interested in gouging as much money as possible from anyone still silly enough to hang around the console town, those companies have no interest in going back to those times. They have no incentive; if they can pillage the wallets of devoted followers, why stop?

Because of that, what was once merely a joke, a satirical jab at PC gamers and their often elitist attitude, has become reality. PCs truly are the best consoles right now; nothing else can come even close. Consoles have lost their way, and until they find it again, they will be playing the catch-up game with a competitor that left them in the dust halfway through last gen.

That, in a nutshell, is Yahtzee's point.

even half a year down the line, Yahtzee's conclusion still holds: JUST DON'T

Thunderous Cacophony:
Time to look back through the archive and see how this episode compares with his last evaluation of 'next-gen' consoles goes. I'm guessing it's almost identical in feel if not in details.

That said, the cynicism has a certain appeal. Maybe it's because I'm older and more jaded, or maybe this is the first step on the road to Video Game Apocalypse.

Pretty close. Most likely has to do with the holiday, re-editing old footage is probably a nice way to spend less time on the video this week.

AuronFtw:
What was once icing on the cake of console gaming has become the bread, meat, cheese and lettuce all at once.

You put bread, meat, cheese and lettuce in your cakes?

commasplice:

Shadow-Phoenix:
Snip.

Can't help but notice you didn't answer the question.

Can't help but notice it was already answered before and not asked by you.

If sony let you edit that video then they'd be standing obove Microsoft for the users, but this is Sony.

Granted I was given a PS4 for Christmas (nice surprise mind because I was sure they were out of them here) and I'm actually really enjoying myself. I like how I can play a game now and download instead on my PS3 stubbornly crossing its arms and not doing both.

It's sad to see how little my feelings have changed from when this first came out. I like consoles, I've owned one (or more) for almost every generation since the nes/sms, but as pc gaming becomes more geared for the living room and as console gaming continues to shun splitscreen play, I don't see much of a point anymore. PC gaming has become more streamlined and console gaming more complicated.
I need a PC anyway so I'm always going to have one of those (and of course I'm going to soup it up for gaming) but I'm not always going to need a console.

commasplice:

Just 'cause the consoles are selling well doesn't mean they're quality products.

Yea, look at how well the 360 sold while everyone knew of the rrod problem. I'm not surprised the new consoles sold well. I get the feeling Sony & MS could've filled cardboard boxes with xmas lights, charged the same amount, and would've sold close to the same amount of hardware.

Nice to see this is still up-to-date.

Not even kidding. Current gen sucks. Give us back our privacy.

andy_amfad:

AuronFtw:
What was once icing on the cake of console gaming has become the bread, meat, cheese and lettuce all at once.

You put bread, meat, cheese and lettuce in your cakes?

Yeah, that was a pretty bad analogy. Then again, anyone who makes a response that long is bound to make quite a few mistakes in logic and metaphors

I'm curious if there could ever be a point where a website like The Escapist would simply STOP covering a major console entirely because of their morale stand on video games.

The general consensus from what I've seen seems to be represented in this video. All the new current gen consoles offer bad experiences but entice you through exclusive games that they hold 'hostage'. Yet this website will be flooded with all of their products and advertisements for the next 5+ years despite the underlying message of 'please don't support this' hanging in the background.

Rather than covering something you dislike or don't support out of obligation, wouldn't it be better to focus your support on something you can get behind?

Yahtzee for example could do PC reviews 95% of the time and only go back to a console title as rarely as he does with the Wii. (Note: I don't know Yahtzee's honest stance on PC gaming as a gaming delivery medium. For all I know he hates it just as much).

daxterx2005:

jpoon:
Luckily for you Yatzee Dolphin Shaggers is coming to the PS4! Glad I grabbed a PS4 for that alone.

you may wanna google "Ecco The Reluctant Dolphin"

My Alzheimer let me thoroughly enjoy this episode. Thanks, Yahtzee!

testiou:

daxterx2005:

jpoon:

you may wanna google "Ecco The Reluctant Dolphin"

That game is "Shagging Dolphin" not "Dolphin Shaggers"

There is a difference.

Is this episode a re-post? It feels like total de'javu. And not the good kind either, it was more like the: "why am I watching this" kind?

Something something Glorious PC Master Race blah blah Elitist blah blah blah.

If it is a game that I want, it was or is going to be released for the PC. Consoles have largely become a waste of money and things for gamers who don't understand how to save money or build things (because then they'd have a PC). If you don't fall into either of those two categories and still insist on crying about how consoles do something or other that a PC doesn't do, be my guest. Remember that I don't care because I'm an "elitist" or whatever insults people pass around. Don't, indeed.

Why was this episode

WarpZone:
Nice to see this is still up-to-date.

wat? Microsoft reversed... all of their former policies for check-in's and used games. How is this video up to date on that?

What's this joke he's making that no one knows what the PS4 looks like? We've known for months, where the hell has Ben Croshaw, *video-game reviewer*, been???

Well, to be fair, 99% of the stuff during christmas is just old movies and old tv shows that hashed together bits of old cartoons in a "looking back" episode. So really, in a way, he did hit the nail on the proverbial head. I think i'm going to go watch the 1 hour fire on Netflix now.

Did I go back in time? I have to tell myself who won the World Series!

Yopaz:

Branindain:

Console fanboys are no better really. It's just that they say things that isn't true actually. So many of them have been saying that the new consoles were going to be more powerful than a PC and would continue to be so for years. Yes, they are actually claiming that. Console fanboys often bicker among themselves which piece of hardware is better and which has the better graphics. The moment a PC user points out that PCs are much more powerful then graphics and hardware doesn't matter. If we are discussing the Wii VS PS3/Xbox 360 then graphics matter. If we are discussing the Wii U VS the Xbox One/PS4 then graphics matter. If we are discussing the PS4 vs PC then graphics don't matter at all.

It's not a matter of PC fanboys being worse. It's a lot more simple than that. Discussing any subject with someone who's frothing at the mouth as he makes his point which only covers his side of the case then that's obviously going to be a waste of time. Any kind is just as annoying. Try discussing gun control with someone who's completely convinced it will reduce the murder rates or someone who is convinced the world was created by a higher power. Most likely this will end up looking the same (in terms of annoyance) as someone who's convinced that the Wii U is going to dominate the market in 6 months.

I basically agree with what you're saying. I'm certainly not contesting the power or advantages of PC gaming. I'm just pointing out that while there may no reason for you personally to buy a console, it doesn't automatically follow that there is no reason for ANYBODY to buy one. People are different, they have different skill sets, different budgets and different needs. (I almost didn't write "budgets" because that will normally trigger the 'I CAN COMPILE A GAMING PC FOR $137, IT'S SO SIMPLE A BRAIN DAMAGED GIBBON COULD DO IT' crowd, which is another annoying subset of PC fanboys). And I don't think PC fanboys are worse, I'm just more annoyed with them because this is my gaming site of choice.

Oh, and as someone who lives in a country with gun control and 100x less murders than America, I think one of your examples is suspect. But I don't want to get into that here, so we'll agree to disagree on that.

Branindain:

Oh, and as someone who lives in a country...100x less murders than America

I looked this up and for that to be possible you would have to live in either Monaco or Palau both of which have a murder rate of 0. It's unlikely that you live in either but it is possible.

Your Fearless Captain:

Branindain:

Oh, and as someone who lives in a country...100x less murders than America

I looked this up and for that to be possible you would have to live in either Monaco or Palau both of which have a murder rate of 0. It's unlikely that you live in either but it is possible.

Lol, you got me. Deservedly so, since you actually bothered to fact check. I certainly didn't, hence the hyperbolic figure. Nonetheless, we have [a whole lot] less.

I remember watching this back in June, that is why the ps4 doesn't have a picture and why the Microsoft jokes refer to old limitations they either fixed or dumped altogether. I wouldn't have a problem if it was a re-post, however in this situation (from what i can see) they deleted the original "next gen console run down" video so that the new video wouldn't be instantly recognized. Not sure why they felt the need to do this, as there will definitely be people who remember the old video.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=zero+punctuation+next+gen+console+rundown%5C&rlz=1C1SFXN_enCA499CA499&oq=zero+punctuation+next+gen+console+rundown%5C&aqs=chrome..69i57.7095j0j4&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8#es_sm=93&espv=210&q=zero+punctuation+console+2013

This link shows the original date being back in june :(

Wait... there were 3 of them?!

oh...

lol.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist: