Zero Punctuation: Next Gen Buyer's Guide

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

kenu12345:
you are omitting the upgraded hardware.

I don't consider it an upgrade, more of a replacement.
It's high end, sure, but it omits the use of previous software and only allows newer games. The idea that these new games are going to be "better" doesn't concern me. The expense concerns me.

I'm not gonna argue ease of emulation or expenses, but the PS2 and PS3 offered things that people could use. A DVD player and a Blu-Ray player, along with backwards compatibility THAT was an upgrade. That got people saying "ok here's something I want"

kenu12345:

I get the lack of backwards compatiblity but whats so wrong with having a share feature for those who want it.

Nothing is wrong with it, it's just that the idea of buying a console for that is silly to me.

kenu12345:

Also, maybe im not quite reading it right but whats a new control?

Should have said "new controller" edited now.

kenu12345:

Dont forget the wii u too

I don't have any real criticism of the Wii U. It was pushed out kind of fast, but it's more of an upgrade from Wii than a downgrade.

kenu12345:
I actually think the PS4 is looking pretty good. Got better hardware to make bigger games and its structure has changed to make it easier to develop for. Heck, sony is even putting there best effort to get more indie games on there and they seem to be really trying to do good this generation. Plus whats so wrong with an optional share button? Its related to gaming and its kinda cool

One problem I can see if the share button uploading to YT is the YouTube Copyright fairies will flag you for everything. YouTube's copyright system is highly broken and is exploited by false flags all the time. Combine that with companies flagging videos just uploaded showing the new game and the button turns into an "I want a copyright claim button." Believe me, it's cool with what Sony is trying to do, but I can see many problems with the button for people all over.

Heck here's an example of a bad copyright claim that YT gave me because it's system doesn't know how to differentiate or seem to know who owns what. I got flagged for copyright on my first episode of Kingdom Hearts Final Mix under the claim that I was using copyrighted music. Thing is, it was from a group called The Orchard Music who owns none of the music in Kingdom Hearts, and the best part was that they flagged a part of the video in which I removed all the audio so then the video falls under fair use. They are telling me I used copyrighted music on a part of a video that has no audio at all. So now I'm stuck with this claim on my account for 30 days or until they respond.

Neronium:

kenu12345:
I actually think the PS4 is looking pretty good. Got better hardware to make bigger games and its structure has changed to make it easier to develop for. Heck, sony is even putting there best effort to get more indie games on there and they seem to be really trying to do good this generation. Plus whats so wrong with an optional share button? Its related to gaming and its kinda cool

One problem I can see if the share button uploading to YT is the YouTube Copyright fairies will flag you for everything. YouTube's copyright system is highly broken and is exploited by false flags all the time. Combine that with companies flagging videos just uploaded showing the new game and the button turns into an "I want a copyright claim button." Believe me, it's cool with what Sony is trying to do, but I can see many problems with the button for people all over.

Heck here's an example of a bad copyright claim that YT gave me because it's system doesn't know how to differentiate or seem to know who owns what. I got flagged for copyright on my first episode of Kingdom Hearts Final Mix under the claim that I was using copyrighted music. Thing is, it was from a group called The Orchard Music who owns none of the music in Kingdom Hearts, and the best part was that they flagged a part of the video in which I removed all the audio so then the video falls under fair use. They are telling me I used copyrighted music on a part of a video that has no audio at all. So now I'm stuck with this claim on my account for 30 days or until they respond.

Ah yes a fair point. I've seen many popular lets players have to edit out copyrighted music. If this optional feature wants to be good its going to need some good way to edit things.

Lovely Mixture:

They have shown what they have

PS4
-a new control
-no backwards compatibility
-social integration

Xbone
-voice commands
-a required peripheral (that no one wants)
-possible online requirements

let me correct that

PS4
-a (not very)new(looking) control
-social integration

Xbone
-voice commands
-one peripheral required to be alway on and functional which sends their surveillance-data to servers without you knowing what will happen to that data, how the data is stored and secured etc.
-possible 1-times/day online-"login" requirement
- monetary requirements depending on how many people use xbone for digital movies*....

license is the magic word...

yeah, until the things are out is nothing 100% clear. could be that Microsoft gets the problem behind a technology which watches people all the time while they use the system and store the data on servers without you controlling how much of YOUR data will get there and how its used.

sums up my thoughts on buying next gen consoles

Of course I already own a PC which is a next gen console and will continue to be forever.

I get that Sony is the strongest contender right now but that's only because we don't know all of what they have planned. And the fact is that as a ps3 & psp owner I can tell you that what they have planned isn't exactly going to be what you get. The ps3 sounded great but with a bunch of features that never made it, features that only worked on a few games, and features that were taken away, it was quite a big disappointment.
Sure, the ps4 is the only console I might get and that would just be for games in split screen. And I would only get it after it's been out a few years and it seems like it's being supported not just with good software that works but good firmware that takes advantage of the hardware.

Lovely Mixture:

kenu12345:
you are omitting the upgraded hardware.

I don't consider it an upgrade, more of a replacement.
It's high end, sure, but it omits the use of previous software and only allows newer games. The idea that these new games are going to be "better" doesn't concern me. The expense concerns me.

I'm not gonna argue ease of emulation or expenses, but the PS2 and PS3 offered things that people could use. A DVD player and a Blu-Ray player, along with backwards compatibility THAT was an upgrade. That got people saying "ok here's something I want"

kenu12345:

I get the lack of backwards compatiblity but whats so wrong with having a share feature for those who want it.

Nothing is wrong with it, it's just that the idea of buying a console for that is silly to me.

kenu12345:

Also, maybe im not quite reading it right but whats a new control?

Should have said "new controller" edited now.

kenu12345:

Dont forget the wii u too

I don't have any real criticism of the Wii U. It was pushed out kind of fast, but it's more of an upgrade from Wii than a downgrade.

This aint directed at you but i just want to point out before i reply to you that im sorry for basically spammin this thread. Im just not that good with editing quotes and putting multiple quotes in one post. Now to you, sure I can see that if upgraded hardward doesnt appeal to you but if anything you can always just look at it like this. It will be much easier to develop for so more games. But thats kinda going around the point. Never seen anything wrong with the new controller (then again i can play with about any controller). It seems just like the old controller just a bit bigger so it has a little swipe screen on it.

kenu12345:

Neronium:

kenu12345:

Ah yes a fair point. I've seen many popular lets players have to edit out copyrighted music. If this optional feature wants to be good its going to need some good way to edit things.

This is why I hope that they still support component, and if not then I hope that they don't encrypt the HDMI port on the PS3, otherwise LPers like me will have to use their service if we want to edit. Plus I wish to know more if we can retrieve the footage from our consoles before uploading it otherwise I'll have to go to my channel, download the MP4, edit it, rerender it, and then reupload it. Really I'm gonna wait until more information comes out when it comes to this function and I hope that Sony doesn't grasp the wrong idea. Now time for me to edit some Ratchet and Clank, gotta get that ready for tomorrow. :3

I'm just gonna call it now and place all my chips on Wii U. Six days, sucka.

In other news, he's a lot more jaded (and irritating) than he was when outlining Gen7. Hard to believe it's been six years already, but here we go. War begins again.

kenu12345:

irishda:
Welcome back kids to another edition of "New Generation Hatred", a joyous occasion where the next generation is hated because it seems different than the old one. Then a bunch of people will buy it, it'll slowly faze out the majority of the old consoles, and everyone will get used to it and forget they hated it because there are other things to complain about. Then the next series will be announced and lo the cycle will start anew.

so so true. Why does this have to happen every gen

cant remember my xbox filming me while i play or wiiu demanding taht i log into internet one time a day and if i not then i cant use all features and things(and i dont mean:i cant use features for which internet connection is needed)or my ps3 demanding more money from me if my partner wants to sit down and watch the movie with me while he eats something.

so-no, what you say is..well, a bit wrong-because this kind of drm-surveillance-problem never was so damn obvious and low than on the new gen consoles..
or: sony and Microsoft never were so desperate-and they dont learn from their mistakes, Šu contraire-they try harder to scare possible consumers away while the publisher shit out mostly identical games with 90%blandness

captcha: crab cake...
i think the captcha did mean: crap cake..

kenu12345:

WeepingAngels:
Why can't we talk about the information that we already have?

We know the Xbone will use Steam type DRM. We know that Microsoft has not only broken into to the used game market, but seeks to completely control it (for Xbone games). We know that the Wii U has few games that people want. We know that the Wii U controller is not that appealing to most people. We know that Sony is giving us a Share button right on the controller.

Did you read what I said? "Yes, I agree the xbox's features that have been annouced are stupid and deserve to be called out. Go right ahead but dont condemn something for things that it never has even mentioned or that are completly optional" Games are easily fixed and a share button really? Who cares it doesnt magnetically move your finger on that button. Its something thats completly optional aimed at people who wants to do lets play and hey whats so wrong with that? On an off note I suck with editing quotes yippy

Actually you said this:

Just want everyone to wait and at least check out what the new gen has to offer before yelling that it sucks before knowing it. It's annoying.

which leads me to believe that you don't want us saying anything negative at all until everything is known.

Maybe you don't care about a Share button but some people think it's fuckin stupid. Some people who don't want to post their gaming information on social networks. So here you are , telling us what we aren't allowed to criticize because it's optional. It should be fuckin optional in a menu, not on the damn controller.

The bottom line is, it all comes down to how quickly they stop releasing new games for the 360 and the PS3.

WeepingAngels:

kenu12345:

WeepingAngels:
Why can't we talk about the information that we already have?

We know the Xbone will use Steam type DRM. We know that Microsoft has not only broken into to the used game market, but seeks to completely control it (for Xbone games). We know that the Wii U has few games that people want. We know that the Wii U controller is not that appealing to most people. We know that Sony is giving us a Share button right on the controller.

Did you read what I said? "Yes, I agree the xbox's features that have been annouced are stupid and deserve to be called out. Go right ahead but dont condemn something for things that it never has even mentioned or that are completly optional" Games are easily fixed and a share button really? Who cares it doesnt magnetically move your finger on that button. Its something thats completly optional aimed at people who wants to do lets play and hey whats so wrong with that? On an off note I suck with editing quotes yippy

Actually you said this:

Just want everyone to wait and at least check out what the new gen has to offer before yelling that it sucks before knowing it. It's annoying.

which leads me to believe that you don't want us saying anything negative at all until everything is known.

Maybe you don't care about a Share button but some people think it's fuckin stupid. Some people who don't want to post their gaming information on social networks. So here you are , telling us what we aren't allowed to criticize because it's optional. It should be fuckin optional in a menu, not on the damn controller.

Yeah I did say that but if you were paying attention to what I said in three fourths of the paragraph you could see thats not the case. You dont want to upload gaming footage? Then don't like i said no ones forcing you to hit that button. People dont complain when a dvd player comes with a built in feature to record a dvd just because they dont want to. Its like i said something completly optional that you can just avoid and the people that want it can use.

Dedicated fuck off button had me laughing.

Well done Yahtzee :3

I LOVE my wiiU!

That said I realize there aren't any games for it, a problem that will be fixed soon. If only that was the only problem facing the PS4 and Xbox haha. Obviously the Xbox One is out of the question because I am not a sadomasochist frat boy willing to screw myself over because I'm insecure about my sexuality. Ok, that may have been a teensy bit unfair, so let me put that another way. It was one thing to support the 360 and Microsoft up till now, that's fine. The Xbox one though... yeah, using that thing is just going to give you more problems then joy, and anyone who buys one probably feels they have to endure that pain just for social acceptance. The PS4 looks potentially promising... sadly I only bought and liked MGS4, 3D Dot Game Heroes and both Little Big Planets. I hate the rest of the Sony exclusive lineup. That's 4 games over the entire life cycle... when my PS2 and PS1 libraries are MASSIVE (both 50+ games).

Sony isn't interested in making games for people like me anymore, so fuck them. I'll wait and see if they get at least 5+ games I'd like to play before I even consider a PS4. Why I can't stand Sony consoles anymore:

firmicute:

kenu12345:

irishda:
Welcome back kids to another edition of "New Generation Hatred", a joyous occasion where the next generation is hated because it seems different than the old one. Then a bunch of people will buy it, it'll slowly faze out the majority of the old consoles, and everyone will get used to it and forget they hated it because there are other things to complain about. Then the next series will be announced and lo the cycle will start anew.

so so true. Why does this have to happen every gen

cant remember my xbox filming me while i play or wiiu demanding taht i log into internet one time a day and if i not then i cant use all features and things(and i dont mean:i cant use features for which internet connection is needed)or my ps3 demanding more money from me if my partner wants to sit down and watch the movie with me while he eats something.

so-no, what you say is..well, a bit wrong-because this kind of drm-surveillance-problem never was so damn obvious and low than on the new gen consoles..
or: sony and Microsoft never were so desperate-and they dont learn from their mistakes, Šu contraire-they try harder to scare possible consumers away while the publisher shit out mostly identical games with 90%blandness

captcha: crab cake...
i think the captcha did mean: crap cake..

I can understand the Wii u thing if thats what really happens. but getting mad over rumors is just crazy. For instance where are you drawing the paying money to watch a movie with your friend. Sony has not said they are doing that and the fact they have a free online service tends to point that they wont have something like that.

kenu12345:

WeepingAngels:

kenu12345:

Actually you said this:

Yeah I did say that but if you were paying attention to what I said in three fourths of the paragraph you could see thats not the case. You dont want to upload gaming footage? Then don't like i said no ones forcing you to hit that button. People dont complain when a dvd player comes with a built in feature to record a dvd just because they dont want to. Its like i said something completly optional that you can just avoid and the people that want it can use.

Do you hold a DVD player in your hand while you are watching a movie? Is it really so hard for you to stop complaining about people complaining?

WeepingAngels:

kenu12345:

WeepingAngels:

Actually you said this:

Do you hold a DVD player in your hand while you are watching a movie? Is it really so hard for you to stop complaining about people complaining?

I'm not quite sure I understand where you are getting at here but ill give you the benifit. No, but I do hold a remote for the dvd player and perhaps one for the tv in case of volume control

As with every new console I will wait a year or so before I buy one. I waited two years before I bought the PS3 and that was a very good choice. However, If the new consoles turn out to be managed as ruthlessly as they currently seem, then I will not be purchasing one. Not at all.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is a couple of things I hate about current gen that I know will spill into the next. UPDATES, for Christ's sake! There have been times that I have had 30 min before needing to leave for work. Real quick I sit down to kick some ass on SCV or something and then the "System UPDATE needed" message appears. Or, "there is a new update for your game message", or both!
Then there are the splash screens, a freaking minute or two of splash screens before the main screen. Why can't we have one screen that contains all of the logos of companies involved with the damn game as well as the title and the menu? We could call it the Main Game Screen.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

kenu12345:

WeepingAngels:

kenu12345:

I'm not quite sure I understand where you are getting at here but ill give you the benifit. No, but I do hold a remote for the dvd player and perhaps one for the tv in case of volume control

Really, you actually watch TV while holding the remotes in your hand?

WeepingAngels:

kenu12345:

WeepingAngels:

Occasionally yes. Its alot simpler then having to bend over and reach for the table each time i need to do something and it allows for quick changing of settings. Either way

Oh benny, It's a great topic. but you jumped the gun. I mean seriously we know fuck all about ps4.
and only negative things about xbox 1.

in other words you have to be critical about the lack of knowledge.

Well we don't need a critic to tell us not to pre order a counsel we're not that fucking stupid lol

as for miscrosoft.. guys, really

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=TEGw9Cndebo

watch this, seriously.

'everyone' i can find in gaming right now says don't buy it, totalbiscuit even hints heavily that he does not support the practices this gen, even though he realises if he comes out and says it no one will send him stuff anymore.

only total suckups ( linus, you know who you are ) continue to unflappingly support microsoft in this.

the truth is out there,

just
don't
buy
it.

kay?

I have to say i don't get what nintendo's plan this generation but they have the most attractive product right now for s pure 'go play fun things' console
sony have promise, but honestly that's probably because all their skeletons are in the closet still waiting to pop out.
i'm just waiting for the 'it's 799 dollars' reveal, because that would be the end of sony this generation entirely.

Decabo:
His criticisms of the PS4 seemed rather forced, IMO. He basically talked about optional features as if they were manditory, and gave no credit to it not needing to be online to play games, not blocking used games, and already having some strong exclusives lined up. (Such as Infamous Second Son, a series he really likes) But whatever, bashing things is what pays his bills.

The reason why ps4 is forcedf is because there is very little revealed about it. The share button was the only real feature mentioned. There is a chance it might be online or blocked used games, even if it's unlikely at this point

The Lugz:
as for miscrosoft.. guys, really

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=TEGw9Cndebo

watch this, seriously.

'everyone' i can find in gaming right now says don't buy it, totalbiscuit even hints heavily that he does not support the practices this gen, even though he realises if he comes out and says it no one will send him stuff anymore.

only total suckups ( linus, you know who you are ) continue to unflappingly support microsoft in this.

the truth is out there,

just
don't
buy
it.

kay?

I have to say i don't get what nintendo's plan this generation but they have the most attractive product right now for s pure 'go play fun things' console
sony have promise, but honestly that's probably because all their skeletons are in the closet still waiting to pop out.
i'm just waiting for the 'it's 799 dollars' reveal, because that would be the end of sony this generation entirely.

we really don't need to tell people to not buy the xbox lol. It's pretty fucking obvious as it stands. And ben did nail it.. your gonna need a super awesome game on that system for you.. or me.. or joe average to swallow their pride and go get it.

who do i feel sorry for? (not really) ben has to buy these fucking things LOL. we don't. it's his job to review. he'll have to but all 3 of these turds,

and than still act like he's an elite... that's so decliously awesome it defys worfd.

So far, PS4 looks to be the least offensive, mostly by virtue of knowing almost nothing about it. Do the folks at Sony have a decent giant robot game waiting anywhere in the wings, at least?

I want to give the WiiU a chance but as noted, there's no games for the thing that get my attention. The tank party game is amusing on the surface, but to be fair I like the notion of a party game revolving around monster attacks and swarms of tanks.

Microsoft...eh. Lots of other people on this forum have said a lot more about it more eloquently than I can, but suffice to say that anything they might try to sell me on that thing, I could probably get something better on the PC anyway. Then there's that business with the Kinect that they can't seem to make up their minds on. If I wanted to have a camera to constantly watch me and listen in, I'd go and be a camwhore.

kenu12345:

WeepingAngels:

kenu12345:

Occasionally yes. Its alot simpler then having to bend over and reach for the table each time i need to do something and it allows for quick changing of settings. Either way

OK, that's cool. I am actually afraid of the PS3 remote, that thing is so sensitive but that is a subject for another day.

I guess I better plonk some cash down for a PS3 and get all the exclusives I missed, because I sure as hell ain't buying a console that's not backwards compatible.

WeepingAngels:

kenu12345:

WeepingAngels:

OK, that's cool. I am actually afraid of the PS3 remote, that thing is so sensitive but that is a subject for another day.

Ha I dont see why it should be.This is a gaming forum. I seen many preferences in gaming controllers. I seen people talk how the ps3 one is too small or how the xbox one is too big. ha ha. I actually kinda like the sensitivity. I assume you are talking bout like the shoulder buttons right?

kenu12345:

WeepingAngels:

kenu12345:

Ha I dont see why it should be.This is a gaming forum. I seen many preferences in gaming controllers. I seen people talk how the ps3 one is too small or how the xbox one is too big. ha ha. I actually kinda like the sensitivity. I assume you are talking bout like the shoulder buttons right?

No, I mean the PS3 Blu Ray remote. It's Bluetooth so you don't even need to point it at the PS3. You push any button and the PS3 responds. If I were to hold it, I would never get through a movie because I would accidentally be pushing something every few minutes.

You can look at it from across the room and the PS3 will respond...LOL

In all honesty I'm going to stick with the Wii U unless E3 does something spectacular. Yeah Yahtzee is right about it's current situation but it has only been out for a year and those are EXTREMELY hard on consoles in terms of libraries.

ToastiestZombie:
if Sony shows some good games (Maybe a certain guardian, a guardian that's the last of his kind maybe) I'll buy one.

But do you really want to see something that's been lying in the freezer that long?

OT: The next generation is starting to feel more and more like a forced relocation.

WeepingAngels:

kenu12345:

WeepingAngels:

No, I mean the PS3 Blu Ray remote. It's Bluetooth so you don't even need to point it at the PS3. You push any button and the PS3 responds. If I were to hold it, I would never get through a movie because I would accidentally be pushing something every few minutes.

You can look at it from across the room and the PS3 will respond...LOL

Lol I see. Just a breeze rolls in and it pauses lol. Thats why I stick with controlling movies with the standard controller

Excellent video today, Yahtzee! The news I hear about the next generation of consoles fills me with nothing but dread. My first and foremost thing to do with a VIDEO GAME console is to play VIDEO GAMES. Downloading more games is a nice feature, so is DL'ing videos, but I never gave mush of a witch's fart about connecting with other people with them.

If I can speak rationally here, these early announcements are most likely to measure the reaction of we, the customers, and we're all saying "IT SUCKS!!!", so come E3, these guys should have some actual games announced and changed the features we judged to be stupid. And they would do that if this was a perfect world. But in a perfect world, I'd wake up every morning to omelets prepared by my robot butler, after a threesome with VS models in my Italian-style villa in California's wine country, where I have a garage full of top-of-the-line cars, and one of them's a Transformer. But, we can all dream.

Once you add in xblive subscription and the fact that everyone already has an hd tv the gaming pc is suddenly not any more expensive than a console.

With a wireless keyboard + touchpad and wireless controller you can comfortably use it from your couch. With a little bit of wall and wiring work you can even hide your pc in another room. The games keep getting better and cheaper.

Since I don't play FPS I can't think of any current gen console exclusive that was worth the system (culdcept for 360 maybe). I feel like I "won" by buying wii at launch and getting a good 4 years and 20ish games use of use out of it and my wife still uses it for fit.

So yeah JOIN US, become a member of the glorious pc gaming master race.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here