Zero Punctuation: Next Gen Buyer's Guide

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

By far the best episode in a VERY long time, welcome back Yahtzee :D

xdiesp:
May the console war begin... err, continue as usual!

If game wars were analogous to world wars, then this current one would be Vietnam.

LordTerminal:

It matters because he's trying to lead people away from the truth and make Nintendo look pathetic when at this point, they're the only ones not treating the gaming public like trash. They're not perfect and have made some questionable decisions but at least they're not designing their console to rob you of money just so you can play used games.

Except its pure conjecture that the original statement made by EA was in response to the refusal to use origin on the Wii U. Hell, the guy who made the statement originally did so on twitter and wasn't necessarily even in a position to make a claim like that. So it would be kind of dishonest for him to cite those as facts.

LordTerminal:

And at least they've had their monthly Direct videos to let you know "yes more WiiU stuff is on the way!". I mean next week they're revealing the next Mario Kart, Smash Bros. and hopefully whatever Retro has planned but nobody seems to remember stuff they've shown previously like the fact that they're making a new Yoshi game and that spiritual Xenoblade successor that Monolith is working on when they complain about a lack of games. Oh and that they're finally getting Earthbound on Virtual Console. Yeah funny how Yahtzee loves that game but can't bother to remember that when talking about the WiiU.

Man, if nobody remembers them its either Nintendo's fault for taking so long to release them, or the consumers fault for not caring. Everything is on its way, or being developed, or coming soon. They don't count as games for the Wii U until I can have a copy sitting on my television stand.

LordTerminal:

Again, this didn't give me an impression of criticism. It felt like elitism. At this point Jim Sterling is more of a critic than Yahtzee. Also I'd like to point out this is the THIRD TIME he's talked about this topic. Sounds like someone needs to get off his soapbox.

Well, Yahtzee's reaction seems to be exactly in line with all of his other videos, including the last console rundown, but if you think its elitism then go ahead I guess. Although, it isn't really soap boxing. These last couple months have been the lead up to one of the most exciting things to happen to gaming in the last, what seven years now? Of course he is going to have a bunch of articles and videos on it. Next week or the week after he's going to have a video doing the exact same thing for E3. He will probably smack talk Nintendo in that video as well, so prepare to tighten your suspenders I suppose.

Great vid ZP, I can only hope that people take your last bit of advice and avoid all 3 of these shitboxes, especially the xbone!

xdiesp:

This ain't a war. It's a suicide party.

I told you so.

I said the next gen will be utter shit with DRM and desperation.

Few believed me in 2010, shutting their ears saying "the ps3 is still aroud." Now everyone's piping on about it.

008Zulu:

xdiesp:

If game wars were analogous to world wars, then this current one would be Vietnam.

Then who's who? who are our Vietnamese? Who are the Americans? I can guess who M$ are.

Welp looks like the arguing has begun, the E3 days are going to bring alot of gas to this flaming war. Speaking of which when does E3 start? I checked the site and it says june 11-13 but i keep seeing messages about it being tomorrow.

LordTerminal:

erttheking:

Not exactly coming across as the bigger person here.

Probably because Yahtzee just reminded me why I hate modern day journalism and modern day gaming culture with this and I will admit it's a topic that, unfortunately, I'm ungodly sensitive to. The fact that people are just going to buy into what he has to say when he clearly redacted information regarding the whole "EA not supporting Nintendo" ordeal and are likely going to use it in their gaming decisions when they're not getting the whole story. (again, Nintendo didn't want to use Origin because even they admit the thing sucks) And the fact that this is the kind of mentality gamers should have in general: that they should be unpleasable, impatient and quick to judge, as well as judge unfairly.

This is not a mentality of a journalist. This is PC gamer propaganda. It's the reason I absolutely despise Sean Malstrom. Only I think Yahtzee is worse in this case because he actually gets paid for saying it. I don't feel like I'm being informed or hearing the opinion of a long time gamer, I feel like I'm watching someone who's biased towards anything that isn't on a computer trying to shape the industry so that revolves around and caters solely to him alone.

And speaking of bias, if Yahtzee isn't biased against Nintendo like he claims he is, then mind telling me why he's withholding information?

It's sad just how low in quality Yahtzee has sunk this year. With this video combined with the last two Extra Punctuations on the topic of next gen consoles, he's gone from being a cynical yet witty and often insightful critic to being the gaming equivalent of FOX News. If anything, he's turned me even further from PC gaming and not helped steer from the idea that all PC gamers are pretentious. I don't want to associate myself with people like that.

I believe that anyone who still have a shred of dignity and self-respect should buy a gaming PC if they wanting an upgrade from the current gen consoles because console gaming was fun but the shirts have suck all the fun out of owning a console and now it's just another soulless consumer good that "Casual Gamers" will blindly buy because they have no idea what being a gamer is all about.

See this is exactly the kind of pretentious shit I'm talking about.

Buddy, you are only backing up my arguments right now.

Yahtzee hated PC gaming for a long while, and hated anything more complex than a console can handle.

It wasn't until the xbox reveal did he backtrack on it, and mostly because consoles are becoming privacy nightmares from 1984 that don't even mention games very much.

Then again, all you do is whine about PC gamers even existing for no reason at all than to try to exert some superiority. At least know his damn history before you spout absolute bullshit.

Here's a tip: You are making console gamers look pretentious with your high and mighty attitude.

Adam Sessler Video
Review

E3, anyone?

If anything, NaughtyDog's Last of Us has showed the benefits of SONY exclusives -- they're breadth of story drafting, art-direction, and mechanics are simply too fantastic and diverse to ignore. It's unconsciousnable for people to think that Gen4 will be any different from the awesome selection that prospered the Playstation 3.

SONY & Microsoft pay top-dollar for their own studios!

Their selections are so diverse that it's inconceivable for a hard core gamer to blissfully blow away SONY exclusives on Gen4.

CyberMachinist:

Then who's who? who are our Vietnamese? Who are the Americans? I can guess who M$ are.

See, now you're being too literal with a metaphor.

I agree... the next generation consoles have so much arbitrary shit tacked on that I'm not going to bother. I don't need my console to be voice activated, I don't need a console to watch TV, I don't appreciate the lack of backwards compatibility or the inability to use games other than my own.

There is literally nothing that entices me about the next-gen consoles. I'm going to take the price of all three and sink it into my PC.

Ok I don't get the hate for the PS4.

All the features Yahtzee was ranting about are optional, and it's incredibly unlikely that the PS4 won't have an option of "never let my friends interrupt my games with social media stuff".

Meanwhile the hated features of the Xbone and the Wii U are things you can't get around for the most part.

Didn't know Xbone won't let you play on an SD TV, that's just sad.

Oh and I know this is supposed to be done in jest but I can't think of anything I've heard in the last year that sounded more entitled than the "this console is holding a game I want hostage" line.

Ultratwinkie:
I told you so.

Few believed me in 2010, shutting their ears saying "the ps3 is still aroud." Now everyone's piping on about it.

1/3 does not make you Nostradamus.

Father Time:

Ultratwinkie:
I told you so.

1/3 does not make you Nostradamus.

Actually I predicted that consoles would get more desperate as times passes on, most likely being the generation to implement DRM. I also predicted they would use cheaper technology because they have no other choice.

So its more than 1/3, I wrote and entire essay on how console manufacturers are getting scared.How games will be too expensive to make, and how that will lock down the market. The only thing people said was "no, it will be a super computer like the PS3 was and be super awesome." Hell, I still have that post saved somewhere whenever someone says "PC gaming is dying."

I'm only buying PS4 if Team ICO finally release their new game exclusively to Sony. Until then.. no.

008Zulu:

CyberMachinist:

See, now you're being too literal with a metaphor.

Hey I'm inquisitive alright, but if you insist i will literally stop being literal (at this point you can just ignore me)

OT: So what do you expect will be the opening act for the consoles at E3 (whenever that is? Still confused on when it's happening)

Captcha: Square one indeed, will be back in no time at this rate.

Wait, Xbox One doesn't work on SDTVs?

... I think Microsoft just wants to kill its gaming division.

Ah, such a glorious video this was concerning the new consoles. You've pretty much nailed it on the head with everything that you have stated.

And this is why I won't be throwing my money at either PS4 or Xbone and stick to my trusty PC.

erttheking:

Can I ask you a question? What IS being a gamer all about?

ugh... I just can't... resist...

*ahem*

sure charlie brown, I can tell you what gaming is all about:

and there was, upon the 1980s, in the land of the crashed console industry, gamers biding their time, playing their macs by night, when lo, a plumber of japan came upon them, and the glow of his gray box shone round about him. The gamers were wary, but the plumber said "fear not, for unlike E.T. I bring you 8 bits of joy, which shall entertain all people. For onto you is marketed this day, in the land of wal-mart, a console: the NES. Go tell your friends the news! You can find the games at your rental store, behind the adult aisle. And suddenly there was, with the plumber, a multitude of mascots and consoles, for the home and handheld, and all gamers gathered together to sing in joy. "Glory be to console gaming, sans those who play consoles different from me"

see charlie brown? that's what gaming is all about.

Well if it's one thing the big three have done with the next-gen, it's totally validated my decision in 2009 to be an almost-exclusive PC gamer.

Also, is it just me, or would anyone else buy the hell out of "Dolphin Shaggers".

ThunderCavalier:
Wait, Xbox One doesn't work on SDTVs?

... I think Microsoft just wants to kill its gaming division.

Yeah, didn't you hear about it?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124272-Xbox-One-Wont-Support-SDTVs

Personally I found that stupid as HDTV's either have most of the functions the Xbone boasts about either coming standard or readily available via cheap set-top boxes.

balladbird:

erttheking:

Can I ask you a question? What IS being a gamer all about?

ugh... I just can't... resist...

*ahem*

sure charlie brown, I can tell you what gaming is all about:

and there was, upon the 1980s, in the land of the crashed console industry, gamers biding their time, playing their macs by night, when lo, a plumber of japan came upon them, and the glow of his gray box shone round about him. The gamers were wary, but the plumber said "fear not, for unlike E.T. I bring you 8 bits of joy, which shall entertain all people. For onto you is marketed this day, in the land of wal-mart, a console: the NES. Go tell your friends the news! You can find the games at your rental store, behind the adult aisle. And suddenly there was, with the plumber, a multitude of mascots and consoles, for the home and handheld, and all gamers gathered together to sing in joy. "Glory be to console gaming, sans those who play consoles different from me"

see charlie brown? that's what gaming is all about.

So in other words it's just about sitting down and having a good time?

erttheking:

So in other words it's just about sitting down and having a good time?

provided you also dedicate a little time each day to criticizing people who pick different methods of having the same good time, sure.

Honestly, I can't speak for how much of my opinion is nostalgia. I feel like an old man when I say things like "things were simpler. better in my day!" but alas, it's how I feel about the whole new console debacle. take my way of thinking with a grain of salt. XD

I'll probably get a PS4 later down the line when the price drops. I've never bought a console at launch window. From the look of it, the PS3 still have a year or so of split gen new games to be released on it.

"Can't sole"
I lost it.

4Aces:
Both consoles come with an AMD 8-core CPU, it is a well known fact that Intel performs far better with games and AMD is for work. Both refuse to tell us how fast the CPU are. You might think that 8 cores is much faster than 6 but it usually does not mean very much (even when properly threading across all cores). So a 6 core from intel is almost certainly faster for game processing needs, but not as cheap. Neither mention the Video Card or GPU, so we wait...

M$ is going to use the old, slow, cheap, DDR3 while $ony is using GDDR5 which is graphical memory, not system memory. So they seem to be staying with their current plans, with $ony games looking better, but having less 'stuff' in the game world (without nuking the graphics to compensate) and M$ games having more/larger game worlds, but not quite as pretty.

Just wow. Your tech-fu is horribad. First of all, at 1080p or less the only game type in which the Intels REALLY pull away at is strat games like Civ V. At all other games they're vary close, less than 5 fps at worst. Secondly, since the system is limited to 60FPS at max it's a completely irrelevant issue anyway.

Then there's your 'appraisal' of the memory. The ONLY difference between DDR and GDDR of any particular generation is voltage rate, clock speed, and heat generated. GDDR is higher on both. The reason that MB gens lag behind graphics cards is because GC generations turn over much quicker than MBs and it makes no sense for MB manufacturers to retool their plants to reconfigure new memory modules and bus patterns. Which means that the MB design of the PS4 will be pretty interesting. It also means that at a given clock rate the PS4 memory will be 4 times faster than the XBone memory. And then it will be even faster than that because the base clock rate of GDDR is higher. Unless they underclock it a little bit to improve longevity. Always possible. In any case it is quite clear that Sony apparently learned their lesson from the PS3 when dealing with memory. Assuming that the rumors of the PS4 having a better GC than the XBone, and it's clear the PS4 will give the XBone a right shitkicking when it comes to visuals. Moreover, because the XBone comes with 2 extra peripherals(Receiver and Kinect) that Sony won't have to shove out the moolah for and the price should still be about equal or perhaps in favor of the PS4.

Like others on this thread, I'm not interested in any of the next-gen consoles. They have nothing I'm interested in anyway, and I'm pretty sure that won't change anytime soon, if ever.

Guess who's started saving up for a PC.

xdiesp:

Not sure if it continues as usal :)
Normal would be Console against Console and not Consoles against Gamers :)

Hmm...I was kinda hoping an episode like this would come out when the consoles were out. This just means people will pester Yahtzee to do an episode EXACTLY like this when they do.

Yeah I agree~ this generation's new consoles do not get me excited. In fact, it's the first time I am not looking forward to the consoles at all. At least with the previous ones, I was curious then hyped with playing the games... but now, it feels like we're being controlled. As in, we can only play on the big corporation's terms and have little to no freedoms/say about it.

So "DON'T", please. Let's show them that we aren't sheep willing to buy a console because it's featuring a game we came to know and love. They're holding the series hostage or plan on milking it one way or another *Cries over Dead Space 3*

Seems like this next gen needs a major reboot! Maybe for the exception of the ps4, sure it got a lot of shitty new features/innovation that nobody wants or need. But it's optional, all they have to do to salvage the situation is ignore the "new feature" like most of us will and just shoot for greats games.

Xbone and Wii U on the other hand seems like their problem it's hardwire at its core and it's not fixable. Nintendo's problem is a shitty gimmicky controller and M$'s problem is the entire console.

What M$ doesn't get is: despite we love some games that required a constant connection to enjoy like WoW, LoL and Starcraft 2. Those are games and not a console. Even if M$ got a game we really want to play that's also need to be always online, it still brings a bitter taste to our mouth they also forced us to be always on while playing super meat boy.

Just because we like our beer cold doesn't mean we like everything else cold, that's M$'s problem, they don't seem to respect freedom of choice.

I'm serious. If I had the time and resources, I'd design my own console, one like the gamecube and ps2. AKA without all the fucking bullshit that people don't need!

Crazycat690:
Well, with Ps4 you don't have to play online, and the whole sharing thingy is completely optional, with fun looking games announced for it... Is Yahtzee not that much in the loop or does he deliberately not mention such stuff for these videos? I'd think he'd be somewhat looking forward to Ps4, after all he always seemed to like InFamous which is just one of the launch titles set for Ps4.

He also liked the fact that inFamous 2 decisively ended the series. Now, whoops, there's another one!

I got a Xbox 360 with loads of games I still have to master, a playstation one for the good old nostalgia rush and a wii that play my fun fun gamecube games and lovely classics from the SNES & N64 days...

Yeah I starting to think I don't need anything new at this point, I love what I got!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here