No Right Answer: Best British TV Show Ever

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Best British TV Show Ever

Who better to decide the best British TV show than a couple of Yanks? This one's gonna be big.

Watch Video

Good choices but i still prefer Top Gear to the two of them. I guess it doesn't really count as it doesnt really have a ravenous fanbase.

I was all for doctor who until I heard Monty Python and the I was like oh crap there's going to be a war. I think the last point actually gives Monty Python the edge not necessarily because of an obsession of the best doctor but it points to the divide between the whovians (those that watched the show from the beginning) and newvians (those that watched the newest incarnation of the show) which I think leads to an unnecessary elitism that ultimately hurts the show and those trying to get into it. Especially since it's so hard to find the earliest episodes of the show even for the most dedicated fan. I love doctor who. I love the story and the style. However, I always feel like I'm missing part of it, where as Monte python is like "here's something funny enjoy".

All Creatures Great and Small
It had a Doctor Who AND a Dumbledore and the one and only James Herriot.

You are right about the Monty Python reference (or even words that make them think about it) making people say the whole sketch. I work with a guy that does that... it's annoying as hell.

I have to go with Monty Python because Monty Python is still good after all these years. Doctor Who on the other hand has be total dog shit since Moffat took over running the show.

Edit: wait I forgot Blackadder, Blackadder is better than basicly everything.

The choices are too good, a decision is impossible. I'll vote for Doctor Who my first time then hope into my policebox and go back to vote for Monty Python as well

Wow, that is a tough one... I mean Doctor Who is a long running show that manages to still be good (I disagree that Moffat ruined the show, but even if he did, it's still better than most things on tv), but Monty Python is a comedy classic. I'd probably have to go with Monty Python just because I think they found more success and fans in the US, although that may be changing. It seems more people are discovering Doctor Who everyday. This may be a question to revisit someday. In the meantime, keep the shows coming UK (and if you could get Outcasts back on the air it would be most appreciated).

Yeah, that's no real contest, now is it.

But then I think both Blackadder and Red Dwarf are better then Dr. Who.

I'm actually not a fan of Dr. Who. I've tried on numerous occasions with numerous Doctors to get into it. Its just too goofy! Too obviously staged! I remember this one scene were an obviously rubber-suit monster chased some blonde bimbo through what was obviously the parking lot outside the studio and it was just too silly and I just turned it off. It was like a bad Benny Hill skit.
I'm convinced the popularity of Dr. Who is inversely proportional to the number of new Star Trek episodes being made. Not that Star Trek isn't goofy mind, but at least in those shows the writers were trying to be serious. Seems like the Dr. Who staff don't want to make good TV, they want to make good fandom fluff.
And it shows...

Casual Shinji:
Yeah, that's no real contest, now is it.

But then I think both Blackadder and Red Dwarf are better then Dr. Who.

True dat, Blackadder is the most British thing ever.

Also.

No Top Gear?

FUCK THIS SHOW!

They are both wrong, Blackadder the second and third. I hate people who haven't seen them because they get to watch them for the first time.

Gizmo1990:
I have to go with Monty Python because Monty Python is still good after all these years. Doctor Who on the other hand has be total dog shit since Moffat took over running the show.

To be fair, Monty Python only ran for 4 seasons, there really wasn't much time for them to go downhill.

Still, though, I agree that Monty Python is the better show, though I do enjoy the Doctor. Monty Python's completely ridiculous sense of humor is just too much, there's not anything like it.

P.S. I confess, I'm a Python-Quoter. I won't launch into it if someone mentions or references it, but if someone starts a scene I'll be more than happy to finish it.

Regarding the hint.

"BUT SIR! It's... Wafer thin."

I have to say, you CAN get some of those British candy bars in the US. My store has a little import section with a bunch of them. We even had Glucozade and Weetabix. Although, if your only shopping option around you is something like Wal-Mart, you might be s.o.l.

Also, props for The IT Crowd recommendation. I wish there were more episodes of that...

Hell, I would have even watched the American version they were trying to make. But then the networks were all "Oh, we have The Big Bang Theory, we don't NEED another nerd comedy." Damn you Shelden!

You had Doctor Who lose?

Oh, you are lucky Susan is leaving soon. ;p

On a more serious note, the name of the show is No Right Answers, and you both made fair points.

Plus, it's not like it was a landslide victory.

Also, :( now I'm sad again about Susan going away........

Doctor Who should have won. Why? Because the fanbase is not as angry and divided as they think. If I were to say to another DW fan "Matt Smith is my favourite Doctor" they'll go "Cool. Mine's David Tennant" and then we'd discuss more Who things.

KaZuYa:
The Ignorance of this article beggers belief, lets list British shows better than these two.

1) Red Dwarf
2) Faulty Towers
3) The IT Crowd
4) Black Books
5) The Brittas Empire
6) The Office
7) The Green Wing
8) Only Fools and Horses
9) Knowing me, Knowing you
10) Black Adder
11) Life on Mars
12) Sherlock
13) Spaced
14) Porridge
15) The Two Ronnies
16) The Young Ones
17) Peep Show
18) I'm Alan Partridge

I could go on and on, try either making a show on something you know or at least research.

One of the criteria for the debate was a rabid fanbase. Which those shows, good as they may be, are missing in the US. And The IT Crowd was mentioned at the end at least...

I have to correct Dan... There WAS an American Dr Who; His name was "Gary SEVEN" and the show was called Assignment EARTH!

Everyone knows Red Dwarf is the best British television programme. I thought this was common knowledge? Top Gear comes in a close second.

Imp Emissary:
You had Doctor Who lose?

On a more serious note, the name of the show is No Right Answers, and you both made fair points.

None of us are "lucky" that Susan is leaving. This site really won't be the same without her.

Also, I know you didn't mean it that way, I'm just taking this opportunity and quoting you to make the point that I'm really going to miss Susan once she moves on.

bluepotatosack:

KaZuYa:
The Ignorance of this article beggers belief, lets list British shows better than these two.

1) Red Dwarf
2) Faulty Towers
3) The IT Crowd
4) Black Books
5) The Brittas Empire
6) The Office
7) The Green Wing
8) Only Fools and Horses
9) Knowing me, Knowing you
10) Black Adder
11) Life on Mars
12) Sherlock
13) Spaced
14) Porridge
15) The Two Ronnies
16) The Young Ones
17) Peep Show
18) I'm Alan Partridge

I could go on and on, try either making a show on something you know or at least research.

One of the criteria for the debate was a rabid fanbase. Which those shows, good as they may be, are missing in the US. And The IT Crowd was mentioned at the end at least...

Sherlock... Sherlock.

Sherlock.

Sherlock?

Sherlock.

Although, to the guy you quoted: I haven't seen any of these shows. They aren't prevalent in the U.S., which is where these two gentlemen are. Their quality is of no real consideration when people haven't ever heard of them.

Except Sherlock.

Yes.

OT:
Yep. Yep.

Pretty much what I thought would happen xP

I can only presume they have never seen the TV version of "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" with Alex Guiness.

Sure, not very funny. But I'll be damned if it isn't brilliant.

ZZoMBiE13:

Imp Emissary:
You had Doctor Who lose?

None of us are "lucky" that Susan is leaving. This site really won't be the same without her.

Also, I know you didn't mean it that way, I'm just taking this opportunity and quoting you to make the point that I'm really going to miss Susan once she moves on.

No problem. I get what ya mean.

Also, isn't Red Dwarf Yahtzee's favorite show? Even though he said the current run of it is probably going to be bad?

Haven't seen the show, but it sounds neat.

To me the right answer is clear. Only Fools and Horses. What a brilliant show.

Never could get into Doctor Who. The silly rubber costumes didn't bother me at all, but the lines were just too cheesy and fanfiction-esque for my taste. I did enjoy what little I saw of Red Dwarf. Even though that was even sillier, it was okay because they weren't trying for the more serious air Doctor Who seemed to want. Fry and Laurie were really good too, I think. And of course QI.

I'm going to get into trouble for this, but I vastly preferred Keeping Up Appearances to every other British show I've seen. Yes, more than the King Arthur skit Monty Python did, which I didn't care for and is virtually all I've seen of them, other than the sublime Galaxy Song, anyway. No real fanbase for KUA that I know of, so it doesn't count, but I loved that series. I'll refrain from citing the six hour BBC miniseries of Pride and Prejudice. While it retained the delightfully understated sarcasm of the book, it isn't really fair to compare most writers to Jane Austen (even if the fanbase is totally bigger ;P).

Gods no. Monty python? Seriously? It's hugely overrated. Even in the sixty's there were better. Give me pete and dud any day.

I know it's a bit off topic, but can anyone tell me what that ds game in the background is? I just barely can't make out the title...

Looks like a Tinkerbell game.

I was about to mention Top gear and Blackadder, but I got beaten to them. Sadly, though...we kinda borged up Top Gear with our own American version that was not only not as funny, but is also on the HISTORY CHANNEL of all things?!? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!?

CAPTCHA: angel food

O_O There's a Weeping Angel reference here...I just know it.

this makes a lot of good points.
Firstly Americans ruining all our best show.
actual that's about it.

DTWolfwood:
Good choices but i still prefer Top Gear to the two of them. I guess it doesn't really count as it doesnt really have a ravenous fanbase.

Top Gear has a massive ravenous fanbase. The difference is that most of their fanbase rarely have more than 2 braincells, sad to say. I know that makes me come of as a real nob, but seriously, most of the TG fanbase or men (and women) whom watch every week, unaware so much is staged, drooling over cars they will NEVER own, and genuinely think Clarkson is an awesome guy.

Honestly through, I'd say Life on Mars and even The It Crowd are better shows that Dr Who. In fact, most British TV shows are better than Dr Who.

I vote Doctor Hooves.

bluepotatosack:
Hell, I would have even watched the American version they were trying to make. But then the networks were all "Oh, we have The Big Bang Theory, we don't NEED another nerd comedy." Damn you Shelden!

WHAT! aaugh! no - no!! Gawd, I saw the pilot for the U.S. version and immediately became deeply embarassed that someone thought it needed to be made. We, as US folks, don't need a translation for British tv. We are geographically separated but culturally we can roll with it. The jokes are the same, we stand united in humor, etc etc. It's like trying to watch the US remakes of Coupling or Skins. *shudder* Just doesn't need to be.

On the other hand, I've got to say that I think our side of the Atlantic has the better version of Being Human. I'm not sure it's U.S. so much as Canadian*, but still. Good show, tightly written and the cast is awesome. Meaghan Rath is fairly devestating, Sam Huntington is funny as !@#$, and Sam Witwer is second only to Vin Diesel as World's Most Unlikely DM.

Erm, and seconding the motions for awesomeness of Black Adder, though I don't think it's all that well known outside of people who watch PBS, and Black Books, which trumped IT Crowd as my favorite British series.

* set in Boston but produced in Montreal, not sure which wins out

Terramax:

DTWolfwood:

Top Gear has a massive ravenous fanbase. The difference is that most of their fanbase rarely have more than 2 braincells, sad to say. I know that makes me come of as a real nob, but seriously, most of the TG fanbase or men (and women) whom watch every week, unaware so much is staged, drooling over cars they will NEVER own, and genuinely think Clarkson is an awesome guy.

Honestly through, I'd say Life on Mars and even The It Crowd are better shows that Dr Who. In fact, most British TV shows are better than Dr Who.

I haven't met these people, because if what you say is true, they certainly would not have the wherewithal to use a computer. Which explains y i thought they don't have a ravenous fanbase.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here