It's a Nice Day for A Red Wedding

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

KingsGambit:
I don't get the strip. I've seen the episode. I've not read the books.

What am I missing?

People who read the books knew exactly what scene was coming up (The Red Wedding), so their enjoyment of last sunday's episode was partly in watching non-readers reaction to the grisly scene.

canadamus_prime:

Legion:

canadamus_prime:
I don't watch the show nor have I read the books so this doesn't mean much to me, but that face in the last panel is truly terrifying.

The latest episode has a very unexpected plot moment, one that practically nobody could see coming. There has been a video uploaded on Youtube of peoples reactions to the episode, where they have been filmed by those who have read the books, so know what happens.

Must be one hell of a plot twist. Although I find it rather sad that these people are finding more entertainment from watching people's reactions to the show than from actually watching the show.

It's less of a plot twist and more of a massacre. Several main characters and 3 seasons of characterization and story progression for those characters were pretty much killed in a single blow. For people who liked those characters or expected them to go on and do great things it's a cold realization that "plot armor" is pretty much nonexistent in the story. Main characters and "good" characters are not safe.

After already being tired of the entire affair on Tuesday (how many times can we talk about this? Old news to some) but this was amusing. The last frame was excellently colored.

Now I'll go make to my regularly scheduled "not another one" attitude.

Well, I hate the books and think the tv show is incredibly dull, but the one thing I do appreciate is that the makers have no trouble killing off characters. That always annoys me in most tv shows.

Ronack:
I've long stopped caring for the TV show because of how poorly written it is, and how uninteresting the characters are. Still, this little wedding has managed to amuse me to no end at how identifiable it is to watch people suffer because of something in their fav TV show.

Of course, each to his/her own. I understand you are not a fan. I got dragged into this series by my wife and am now enjoying it. I agree that some characters are very flat. But I see some of this as their characters actually being uninteresting people in unwanted roles of distinction. I'm not arguing to try and change your mind here--that doesn't happen on the interwebz. It's just a personal opinion of mine. I am bored to tears of Greyjoy and Sansa, but I think I'm supposed to be.

I honsetly watch almost no TV so I don't have a good feel for the quality of shows on TV right now. Everybody raves about Game of Thrones. I guess that's how I got into it. So, without being snarky (I'm honestly not), what would you recommend as a well-written series with deep characters? Perhaps not as many characters.

Pepsik:
I couldn't take the part seriously, 'cause I only saw this:

That made me laugh way too much. Thank you.

Helston:

KingsGambit:
I don't get the strip. I've seen the episode. I've not read the books.

What am I missing?

This was known amongst fans of the books to be an absolutely mortifying event, such that it was a common event for anyone reading the book to throw it across the room in anger. So, with a whole lot of people knowing exactly what was coming, you get videos like the following (Potential spoilers for anyone who hasn't watched the show/read the books).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78juOpTM3tE

My god, thank you for linking that, I havent laughed that hard in a long time.

That reminds me of something...

*calls a close friend of mine*

So, now I'm going to do EXACTLY THAT this weekend. She hasn't watched the episode yet (neither did I but I read all the books... Years ago... Good thing I'm hardened after the wait for Dance with Dragons, I can wait for the next one too).

Great strip guys. I love it.

Azwrath:

If you thought she isn't a pleasant lady just wait.

Oh and this just came out recently in response to the Red Wedding outcry.

Personally I'm getting huge kick out of seeing all TV show only watchers seeing the Red Wedding and freaking out. Read A Storm of Swords for the first time years ago but had no one to talk about it with and my friends couldn't understand why I was freaking out over something in some fantasy novel. Now I can sit back and watch them freak out over the show.

I really dislike Game of Thrones. I think it's a good show, probably even a great one, but it never clicked with me.

Now, this comic really reminded me of a couple years ago:

Kinda like this.

I haven't watched the series nor read the books.. so this confused me until I investigated-

Poor Erin.

Clankenbeard:

I honsetly watch almost no TV so I don't have a good feel for the quality of shows on TV right now. Everybody raves about Game of Thrones. I guess that's how I got into it. So, without being snarky (I'm honestly not), what would you recommend as a well-written series with deep characters? Perhaps not as many characters.

The first time I saw Game of Thrones, I immediately started to draw comparisons to the Starz Spartacus series. They're both set in a more fantastic setting, they both aren't coy about showing blood, gore and sex and they both aim to be about politics and battle. The difference is that Spartacus succeeded where GoT failed.

Honestly, when they killed off Ned Stark, I wept only because he was the only interesting character next to Tyrion. The rest is just so bland and boring. Or a complete and utter tool like the rest of the Lannisters. Whereas Spartacus is packed to the rafters with great and memorable characters.

The Harkinator:
I feel bad for taking such joy in the reactions of those who haven't read the books. But I've known, I've always known. I've known it's coming and had to sit through all the idealistic hopeful wishes of those who didn't know. All I could think was "You poor soul, you have no idea what is about to happen."

nah, don't feel bad ;) is a joy us readers or people that foreshadowed it can only express like "mwa ha ha" :P

canadamus_prime:
I don't watch the show nor have I read the books so this doesn't mean much to me, but that face in the last panel is truly terrifying.

Imagine that Harry Potter died.
Someone who read the books vs someone who hadn't.

Game of Thrones specifically have a particular habit of culling off some of their most popular characters though. While at other times, people should have expected bad shit to happen... the most recent one really came out of fucking nowhere, and there was only about 1 min warning

This spoiler... really means spoiler.
Only click if you have watched it, or don't care(which you should, eventually)

Haven't been keeping up on it. But I might just to see what the big deal is for the latest episode.

Jumwa:

NightHawk21:
Honestly probably the best episode of the series so far. As a non reader I saw most of the other major events, or at least wasn't particularly shocked by them but this one got me.

Really? I thought this was pretty well foreshadowed.

Neither my partner or I read any of the books, but Robb's death seemed guaranteed the moment he broke his oath to Frey. He never seemed to have much of a shot at winning the conflict, but having to go crawling back to Frey seemed doomed to failure.

I was a bit surprised it was done as it was though. I was expecting them to just be lured into an ambush, but I guess since Game of Thrones is less about battle and more about drama and politics, I should've anticipated it sooner.

The books do a better job of showing that Robb was actually winning the war, or at least was going to be able to hold off the Lannisters long enough to force peace on his terms.

It was quite an eventful wedding. I heard the music was to die for!

Yea, I'll just leave now...

wildpeaks:

Jumwa:

NightHawk21:
Honestly probably the best episode of the series so far. As a non reader I saw most of the other major events, or at least wasn't particularly shocked by them but this one got me.

Really? I thought this was pretty well foreshadowed.

+1, the more a story insists everything will be fixed and everyone will be happy, the more I expect shit to hit the fan; it's like having suddenly plenty of health packs and chest-high walls in a FPS.

That's pretty much the perfect way to describe it.

And pre-naming the child 'Ned' was like finding 12 Magnum rounds in the middle of a room in Resident Evil.

That face, it is the stuff of nightmares! It's like an extra-creepy Trollface! Who delights in watching that kind of misery and suffering?

Ronack:

Clankenbeard:

The first time I saw Game of Thrones, I immediately started to draw comparisons to the Starz Spartacus series. They're both set in a more fantastic setting, they both aren't coy about showing blood, gore and sex and they both aim to be about politics and battle. The difference is that Spartacus succeeded where GoT failed.

Honestly, when they killed off Ned Stark, I wept only because he was the only interesting character next to Tyrion. The rest is just so bland and boring. Or a complete and utter tool like the rest of the Lannisters. Whereas Spartacus is packed to the rafters with great and memorable characters.

Okay. I have watched all of Blood and Sand. And I liked the characters enough to come back for Gods of the Arena. I think I only found out about this series because Sami Raimi was involved as a producer or something. I don't watch Starz and I don't think they mass marketed this one--could be wrong here. The first series was one I dragged my wife into and she watched it with me. Something about oiled-up gladiators going the Full Monty was enough to get her in. But she was not willing to commit for a second season--even with the male nudity, sex and political backstabbing. (Batiatus was amazing.)

So now I see there is a "War of the Damned" and I find myself not really that interested in seeing it. I guess you will have to count me among the sheep. I have to say that I prefer Game of Thrones to Spartacus. I dug Batiatus and Lucrecia (sp?), but I'm coming up empty for too many other names. To be fair, I just saw Game of Thrones days ago, so recency plays a role. In 4 years, will I remember Sansa Stark? Only if the show is still on TV.

Legion:

canadamus_prime:

The latest episode has a very unexpected plot moment, one that practically nobody could see coming.

Unless you read the book or someone who read the book told you about it. XD

Seriously, how did this scene not get completely spoiled? I'm surprised by people's restraint to not just blurt out "HEY GUESS WHAT HAPPENS LATER LAWL!"

Ukomba:
That red wedding. It sure caught me by surprise when I read it.

But then, the end of the last book was even more surprising.

For the Watch!

I really hope GRRM finishes the books, unlike Robert Jordan.

Hehehe yeah that was pretty much reaction as my cousin was watching it.
Although I don't know why so many didn't see it coming at all.

wildpeaks:

+1, the more a story insists everything will be fixed and everyone will be happy, the more I expect shit to hit the fan; it's like having suddenly plenty of health packs and chest-high walls in a FPS.

or, you know, a lack of either if the game designer is a bit of a sadistic bastard. ^^

As a long time fan of the books, and a Lannister fan at that, I've been looking forward to this for SO LONG.

The scene was perfectly done.

Yeah i had read the book and that was pretty much me too

heheheh. heheeHEHEHEHE. KAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA!

Darth_Payn:
That face, it is the stuff of nightmares! It's like an extra-creepy Trollface! Who delights in watching that kind of misery and suffering?

Us book readers, who already lost everything and like to share our misery.

Rednog:

Ishal:
just to be safe

But anyone who is thinking about not watching after this I urge you to stay a bit longer to see who gets axed next. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I haven't read past the first book yet and I didn't even realise this was supposed to be a shock. In the episode The Bear and the Maiden Fair Roose Bolton gives Jaime back to Tywin. His men see it and Jaime even says to Roose 'tell Rob Stark I'm sorry I couldn't make his uncle's wedding. The Lannisters send their regards.'

How obvious do they have to make it?

And it ain't over, folks.

Giest4life:
And it ain't over, folks.

The suffering has only begun.

Azwrath:

Pallindromemordnillap:

Azwrath:

Not read the books, don't click this. Seriously, DON'T CLICK THIS! YOU, HAVE, BEEN, WARNED! Watched the episode in question? STILL DON'T CLICK IT!

What i take away from the reaction videos and this comic (plus several other incidents) is that everyone who read the Ice & Fire books are evil.

And with all the "subtle hints" book readers have been dropping me about the next episode and how i'll "like it if i hate x" i'm not even in suspense over it. If it does come to what has basically been slapped in my face i'll just go "yeah... the reading crowd already told me this".

I'm starting to think i should just stay off everything Game of Thrones related since nobody seems capable of shutting their mouths <_< (Slightly bitter, yes. How'd you tell?)

Imre Csete:

Ukomba:
That red wedding. It sure caught me by surprise when I read it.

But then, the end of the last book was even more surprising.

For the Watch!

I really hope GRRM finishes the books, unlike Robert Jordan.

While sad, Brandon Sanderson did a fine job of wrapping up the series in my opinion. Which was surprising, since I'm really not much of a fan of Brandon Sanderson's other work. I guess having to work with someone else's characters, rather than using the same stock characters he populates most of his work with, rather helped him out.

On topic:

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or