Escape to the Movies: The Purge

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

The Purge

MovieBob lets it all out in his review of The Purge.

Watch Video

Its disappointing to hear it's exactly what I thought it was going to be. I've been avoiding "Sinister" for the same reason. Ethan Hawke is struggling and it's getting more and more obvious that he's in a downturn. His "American beauty" or "twelve monkeys" is not coming anytime soon.

Damn, I was hoping it would deal with the issues you listed Bob, but it just turns out it's another terrible slasher fic?

Boo T^T

Daystar Clarion:
Damn, I was hoping it would deal with the issues you listed Bob, but it just turns out it's another terrible slasher fic?

Boo T^T

Yup, like we don't have enough of this.
My other question is, if there is not going to be any repercussions for your crime why would you bother to wear a mask? Just to be 'spooky'? Sod that.
Everyday people doing horrible things is much scarier than that.

I wonder if the Purge would have been better as a tv series in which all the episodes focus on the sane day but from the wealth of different premises possible with the idea of one law free day. In such a series I also think it would be good to show the days leading up to the purge, to see how people prepare (besides the obvious) and the days immediately following to see how people move on from this day each year.

Edit - I was thinking about Bob's comment regarding smaller stores and it made me think that in the world of this movie there might be am additional Black Friday style holiday. The less stock a store has on the day of the purge the less it has to defend and the less it stands to lose. So I can imagine stores, especially the smaller ones who can't afford the security would be inclined to offer discounts on their stock the day before the purge so that they can make some money off of the stock that they risk losing and losing money on if it remains in the store for the dreaded day. In my mind the store owners and customers would take to informally calling this day "Binge Day"

Such a rich premise, such a shame to hear that it wasn't mined properly.

So the Purge turned out to have an Anorexic message?
It's no Freedom Day. Oi

Vault Citizen:
I wonder if the Purge would have been better as a tv series in which all the episodes focus on the sane day but from the wealth of different premises possible with the idea of one law free day. In such a series I also think it would be good to show the days leading up to the purge, to see how people prepare (besides the obvious) and the days immediately following to see how people move on from this day each year.

I was thinking the same thing. The way the commercials kept repeating "Think of all the good the Purge does" I was expecting this to at least TRY to have some wider context. But no.

My entire relationship with this movie step-by-step was finding out about it on Cracked, thinking it was a really smart and scary premise, briefly looking it up on Wikipedia and seeing it was produced by Michael Bay, then coming here to confirm it was a piece of shit. Too sad, really.

CAPTCHA: hear hear

I think the Captcha agrees with you, Bob. So do I. There was a lot more this movie could have done, but it looks like it didn't want to (or couldn't due to lack of creativity) go to those places.

Off topic: Rule 63 Link?!? Whoo boy...bad enough Link actually did get compared to Legolas amongst some fans...

This movie seems very stupid, maybe it makes more sense In the movie itself, but how the hell would a yearly event that I'm going to assume includes massive damage to the city itself, lead to a good economy, maybe if it was every 10 years but not every year.

also killing off the poor is incredibly stupid, without the poor your economy would crash, so unless this takes place in a world in which all laborers have been replaced by robots, this seems to me like a incredibly stupid and flawed premise.

Yeah if it was shot like "The four rooms" , "Pulp Fiction" or "Crash" where the story all basically happens playing over each other with the killings being only a portion of the plots would of been a lot more interesting. Hell it sounds almost like they've could said lets become Bioshock's Rapture for 12 hours.

Well, I've certainly got two reasons not to see a movie this weekend. I'd like to think Moviebob would recommend Much Ado About Nothing but its in limited release and it might be in your area if you happen to live in a major city with theaters that offers more than just the big releases. If you live in a small town like I do, you're SOL and JWF. -_-

So, what is coming next week?

Seven more days until the moment of truth, people. Until then, let us pray...

Please don't suck! Please don't suck! Please don't suck! Please don't suck!
Please don't suck! Please don't suck! Please don't suck! Please don't suck!
Please don't suck! Please don't suck! Please don't suck! Please don't suck...

What's the "boyfriend subplot" that he mentions in the stinger? I haven't seen the movie and I have no desire to, but I'm curious what's going on with that.

I disagree on one point, Bob. When I first saw the theatrical trailer my first thought about the premise was "that is really, really dumb". I never even thought it was clever, maybe a bit original perhaps but certainly not clever. It's clearly not thought out, as you said. The thing is that making your house a fortress would be something only a very small percent at the top could afford, and it is hard to think that 90% of the population would ever think it's a good thing. Violence and most types of violent crime have a narcotic effect, which is why we put people in jail forever if they plan out a murder and go through with it. Nullifying laws for 12 hours is basically the same as nullifying laws in general.

But even with that the trailer showed it mostly being just a hackneyed masked intruder slasher flick, so I was never really interested in it. The assholes did like to advertise the living fuck out of it, though.

Yeah, I never had any hope for the purge. Right from the first preview I saw, it struck me as a movie that would think it was way smarter than it actually was. One that would say way more about the latent, unexamined prejudices of its film makers than of the society it was pretending to criticize in about the laziest way possible. Basically a 'Branded' sort of situation. "Pretentious". MB's review may not indicate that it's that bad, but yeah, I'm not sad I skipped this one.

More hating on Mitt Romney. I don't even like the guy, so why do I feel the need to jump in on people bashing him? I'm just a weirdo like that, I guess.
Anyway, still a good review. I already wasn't going to see this movie, but at least now I know exactly what's wrong with it. Oh and hey, another Robocop fan! Yay!

piscian:
Ethan Hawke is struggling and it's getting more and more obvious that he's in a downturn. His "American beauty" or "twelve monkeys" is not coming anytime soon.

I wouldn't say that; Before Midnight just came out and it was great. You can't blame the guy for signing up to an interesting premise when he didn't have anything to do with overall production of the movie.

OT: This movie would have been much more interesting from the viewpoint of a poor kid on the street running for his life and trying to find a safe place to stay, but apparently Hollywood can't make a horror movie about anything other than a white upper-middle class family being attacked in their house for dumbass reasons.

themilo504:
This movie seems very stupid, maybe it makes more sense In the movie itself, but how the hell would a yearly event that I'm going to assume includes massive damage to the city itself, lead to a good economy, maybe if it was every 10 years but not every year.

also killing off the poor is incredibly stupid, without the poor your economy would crash, so unless this takes place in a world in which all laborers have been replaced by robots, this seems to me like a incredibly stupid and flawed premise.

If you think about it, only really bad crimes would be committed during the purge. Why would you risk your life over somethin minor like stealing or vandalism? Anyone around could murder you with no consequences.

Logically crimes would provoke a larger punishment outside of the purge then they usually would as well.

Blunderboy:

Daystar Clarion:

Boo T^T

Yup, like we don't have enough of this.
My other question is, if there is not going to be any repercussions for your crime why would you bother to wear a mask? Just to be 'spooky'? Sod that.
Everyday people doing horrible things is much scarier than that.

I suppose it's like a gang tattoo that you can take off for the rest of the year.

Yeah when I saw the trailer on a youtube ad a few months ago, I knew that this was going to suck big time. The basic idea is the framework for a good movie, but they took it in the laziest most predicable route possible. Also not everything is legal in the purge, according to the wikipedia article, you can't use class 4 weapons and killing goverment officals is off-limits so staged uprisings are still illegal.

Also I totally didn't release that man of steel is out next week since I kept thinking ti was out july 14th not june 14th.

I've thought the premise of this movie was astonishingly retarded the moment I heard about it. Of course, most of my friends thought this movie sounded great and intelligent. I'm glad my opinions were founded. lol

The small ambition and scale of the movie makes such a sweeping high concept premise almost infinitely dumb. If you don't have the balls necessary to carry such a strange yet inventive concept through then you shouldn't use it. NOT doing so does not hold up your central premise. "The Purge" as it stands seems so stupid to me as to be unwatchable.

Bob is right, here are a few ideas that could have made this concept work;

1. A well defined, self determination obsessed far-right government ala the logical extension of the tea-party. The purge is an insane measure. Make the people behind it insane ideologists and maybe it could work.

2. A intellectual justification of the purge as "Social Darwinism"

3. seeing it from multiple angles i.e. How the rich experience the purge, how the poor experience the purge, How large established corporations benefit from the purge. how the purge would disproportionately effect women.

4. A real sense of the glorious decadence of society with it's face off. Make the setup about normal people interacting then make the payoff about how these people either turn on each-other or band together to survive.

The purge as a measure of a totalitarian government justifying it's own existence whilst demonstrating its ideology would make a great movie. "See what it's like without us?! You need as to protect you from yourselves. The alternative to obedience and total control is chaos".

Seeing a Private Walmart army in blue and white riot gear complete with store-brand assault rifles fighting off a mob of hungry poor people whilst brightly coloured branding and HFCS fly everywhere in slow motion, all whilst having sold weapons to these people the day before would be a perfect metaphor for modern America.

For some reason Mitt Romney Starring in slasher flick sounds like it could go really well.

Sooo.. I don't they thought through the ramifications of this Purge on the economy. How about the days or weeks it will take to repair whatever was broken in this period? The buildings needing to be repaired, the bodies needing to be dealt with, services needing to be restored.. the list goes on. Yeah. Plot, meet hole.

For some reason whenever I see anyone in a mask like that, I just find it stupid, not scary. That said, I actually was intrigued by the idea of The Purge, but never thought it really looked good enough for me to want to see it. I kind of agree with what other people have said here that maybe it would have worked better as a TV show.

It could kinda pull the 24 route and have each season be 12 episodes each representing a single hour during the yearly purge. You could get out a lot more characterization, and even have a bunch of different connecting storylines ala Heroes going on.

Honestly, that's a show I would watch. Maybe in 10 years when everyone forgets about this movie entirely we'll see it get resurrected as something watchable.

Makabriel:
Sooo.. I don't they thought through the ramifications of this Purge on the economy. How about the days or weeks it will take to repair whatever was broken in this period? The buildings needing to be repaired, the bodies needing to be dealt with, services needing to be restored.. the list goes on. Yeah. Plot, meet hole.

Those things would require people to be employed to fix/clean thus boosting employment i.e see how after the Thoku earthquake and tsunami the areas most affected not contaminated by radiation saw a boost in there local economies.

damn. I was hoping for a review of the Joss Whedon "Much Ado About Nothing".

Okay, after looking this movie up on Wikipedia to try and see how much of the plot twists I guessed correctly (most of them) Here are two things I learned about this movie that I do find kinda funny

1. Karen Strassman (voice of Aigis for my Persona fans) is the newscaster in this movie and

2. Flo from Progressive is credited on the wikipedia page as "Person who Dies First."

So...y'know...I found that a little funny. Still not gonna see the movie though.

thehorror2:
What's the "boyfriend subplot" that he mentions in the stinger? I haven't seen the movie and I have no desire to, but I'm curious what's going on with that.

Well according to Wikipedia...

I would actually have liked to see a 24(the series)-style series based on this day, in this universe. Get a full 24-hour experience of the complete crazy that would ensue, and also have plenty of time to properly explore the many facinating aspects of this imagined world!

When I saw the trailer for this I thought to myself, "that looks stupid." Apparently, sometimes you really can tell from the trailer what the film will be like.

Man of Steel next Friday though, so I hope that's as awesome as it's trailers suggest.

Scrumpmonkey:
1. A well defined, self determination obsessed far-right government ala the logical extension of the tea-party. The purge is an insane measure. Make the people behind it insane ideologists and maybe it could work.

The amount of partisan bias and banality contained within the above quote is truly worthy of sociological study.

As to the movie itself, it was always going to be complete shite. Especially since if it was actually set in America and was an actual thing with such an upper class family the doors would have been steel, the plate glass would have been some sort of polycarbonate, and they would have had guns. LOTS of guns. Moreover, stuff like Thunder Ranch would become de rigueur for those who could afford it.

I totally broke my rule of watching bob's review for a movie i want to see before i see it.
but yeah it had alot of potential.
The flip side bob getting off tracked takes a movie about only a little something up being about nothing.

The whole idea behind the movie makes me angry.

...Yeah I've already seen The Strangers and it was good and there's a reason why there isn't a sequel.

I'm a little disappointed because I was hoping for a little more out of this movie. Much like we're seeing a change in music from party, party, party club music to tunes with at least a LITTLE thought to their lyrics, I've been hoping for some change in movies as well to something...not Transformers? Does that make any sense. And I think we've been seeing that a little, but...

*sigh* I hope for too much, I know.

When I first saw the trailer, I immediately grouped this movie in with the Schadenfreude wank material that is Hostel, Saw, Human Centipede, etc, just written by a Freshman philosophy major who thinks something like this is a grand idea.

I don't subscribe to the idea that we're all perverted demons on the inside, and the only thing keeping us from raping and eating each other is the belief that the man upstairs is watching. By the end of the trailer my eyes had rolled out of my head.

But I didn't stop to think that this movie could have been smart at one time, actually exploring themes of class and privilege instead of revelling in the angry adolescent fantasies we all grow out of, and I am rather disappointed now that it turned into "Taken" meets "The Strangers".

Not that I ever would have seen this anyway.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here