Escape to the Movies: The Purge

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Izanagi009:

Reincarnatedwolfgod:
I don't like Romney and I don't like obama either. now that I made my position clear I have one question. What exactly did mentioning romney do to help this review and what was the point?

Romney is known to be extremely supportive for less regulation and more power to corporations. He was making the point that the only way to make a movie with the villains as embodiments of predatory capitalism less subtle is to have one of them be Mitt Romney who has been accused of predatory capitalism with Bain capital and was believed to have encouraged it.

To add to this a number of Romney's "behind the scenes" activities and discussions tended to be at best "those people? Yeah I heard of them. I don't think they should exist." there you can replace the italicized portion of that with any demographic that isn't "Caucasian wealthy white male". Given what Romney had done during his time in post secondary and got away with the main villain could essentially be Romney if he was 40 years younger and could get away with anything.

Yojoo:

Also, I love Lena Headley in Game of Thrones, and hoped that she would get a hit here. Looks like that isn't happening.

That's HEADY!!! (Blazing Saddles lol)

OT: I just knew this movie would be stupid based on the premise alone, and I'm getting bored with the "RICH PEOPLE BAD GRRR ARGH" Anvil hitting me in the face all the time. Now applying my low opinion of human nature, I think if 12 hours had no laws at all, then society would completely collapse and never recover. Just when I though the Hunger Games had a nonsensical and retarded premise (and that's still true. Come on, Bob, I can taste your hatred for the upcoming Catching Fire flick from here, and I can't wait for you to trash it!).
But perhaps with the reviews for The Purge and The Internship today, he's getting the negativity out now for next week's Man of Steel.

Izanagi009:

Vault Citizen:
I wonder if the Purge would have been better as a tv series in which all the episodes focus on the sane day but from the wealth of different premises possible with the idea of one law free day. In such a series I also think it would be good to show the days leading up to the purge, to see how people prepare (besides the obvious) and the days immediately following to see how people move on from this day each year.

Edit - I was thinking about Bob's comment regarding smaller stores and it made me think that in the world of this movie there might be am additional Black Friday style holiday. The less stock a store has on the day of the purge the less it has to defend and the less it stands to lose. So I can imagine stores, especially the smaller ones who can't afford the security would be inclined to offer discounts on their stock the day before the purge so that they can make some money off of the stock that they risk losing and losing money on if it remains in the store for the dreaded day. In my mind the store owners and customers would take to informally calling this day "Binge Day"

Such a rich premise, such a shame to hear that it wasn't mined properly.

I think it can go further than the binge day thing. People contemplating their morality, riots and revolutions going on, the change in sciencedue to the incusion of forbidden research. The purge is the type of change to society that can reveal so much about humanity and it's society but it was instead used as a cheap setup.

what a disappointment. Moviegoers are dumber in the waste of such potential.

Oh I have no doubt that it could go further than binge day.

Now, how many bad sequels do you think they will try to make?

The premise held a lot of good storytelling ideas, but in and of itself I see it as absolute rubbish. Bullshit, bollocks and balderdash.
This will fix crime, squalor and unemployment just how, exactly? By letting people have a chance to "blow off some steam"? By having armed gangs running around pillaging, raping and murdering their way through the streets? That has always led to a surge of economic growth.
For the other part, leave the pondering over the alledged frailty of the order of civilization to the Lord of the Flies. It is better written.

Well, even though I never said it out loud, Im fucking putting this here anyways...

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Blunderboy:

Daystar Clarion:
Damn, I was hoping it would deal with the issues you listed Bob, but it just turns out it's another terrible slasher fic?

Boo T^T

Yup, like we don't have enough of this.
My other question is, if there is not going to be any repercussions for your crime why would you bother to wear a mask? Just to be 'spooky'? Sod that.
Everyday people doing horrible things is much scarier than that.

That was my biggest concern about the movie honestly.

It seems to me the only reason they worse the masks is just to be scary and creepy, but it looks like it just fell flat. I miss good slasher movies. :(

Yojoo:
I thought the premise had promise for a decent story, so it sucks to hear that it's just a bad slasher film. Ugh.

Also, I love Lena Headley in Game of Thrones, and hoped that she would get a hit here. Looks like that isn't happening.

Yeah. I'm not really a huge fan of slasher films. I'm something of a coward about them. But I do still watch them now and then.

I want to say I totally called it, but the more I think about it, I really didn't. See, I just expect every movie to fail, so when I get it right, I'm not so much calling it, as being the broken clock that's right twice a day.

Except, I wish I was only right twice out of the many possible combinations in which a clock could be wrong. Then maybe I wouldn't hate movies so much.

RJ Dalton:
I want to say I totally called it, but the more I think about it, I really didn't. See, I just expect every movie to fail, so when I get it right, I'm not so much calling it, as being the broken clock that's right twice a day.

Except, I wish I was only right twice out of the many possible combinations in which a clock could be wrong. Then maybe I wouldn't hate movies so much.

Its a sad state of affairs that I can't even fault you for being that pessimistic really. Still, I think you're the only person I've seen this year who isn't hype for Pacific Rim

Imagine a TV series with the same premise, but just showing the bfore AND after of the purge. It's sort of a mystery why are people doing this, preparing so heavily to just other normal people that would go boinkers in a lawless society, and then the aftermath of all that with people going on with their days like it's nothing, with a creepy undertone of "just yesterday ya'll fuckers wanted to kill me".

And the final chapter is the day of the purge, when all goes down and crazy stuff happens. Stealing, rioting, hacking, financial fraud, maybe even a fucking foreign invasion!

Now that would be awesome.

Sean Kay:
Its a sad state of affairs that I can't even fault you for being that pessimistic really. Still, I think you're the only person I've seen this year who isn't hype for Pacific Rim

Is that the one about the giant robots fighting monsters from under the sea? The one that looks like Evangelion, but with a burly, hard-boiled soldier for a protagonist instead of a wanker kid? Yeah, that's what I want to see, a live-action anime in which one set of cliche characters are replaced with a completely different set of cliche characters.

I always thought the idea was interesting... but stupid. Most people are good and moral, I sincerely doubt the average person would want to commit murder or rape. And besides the average citizen would likely be stocked up on guns and paranoid enough to use them for anything. So trying to rob someone on this day will go... poorly. Basically it would be a day of paranoia where everyone stays home and holds weapons for twelve hours and then nothing much happens. Though perhaps it would be a good day for anyone committing crimes like smuggling.

The most important thing that I took away from this is that I now know what MovieBob's favourite movie is. I agree that this is an interesting premise though. Really, this is what all horror stories need: the ticking time bomb idea, where the necessity of holding off the horror is as tense as the horror itself. But by the sounds of it this film is the perfect antithesis of 'Cabin in the Woods'.

RJ Dalton:

Sean Kay:

Is that the one about the giant robots fighting monsters from under the sea? The one that looks like Evangelion, but with a burly, hard-boiled soldier for a protagonist instead of a wanker kid? Yeah, that's what I want to see, a live-action anime in which one set of cliche characters are replaced with a completely different set of cliche characters.

Are you implying that because you don't want to see it, the film as a whole should not exist for other people to enjoy?

At least it has Cersei in it.

This movies premise is... don't even get me started. It's annoying because people seem to actually buy it as an idea that the real world would benefit from or at very least is a good plot idea that could be interesting. But in order for this premise to be anything but a weird twist idea that would have no real world application (and by extension buy into some sort of realism factor), they need to literally dehumanize every single person in the movie. It goes against humanities cooperative and altruistic nature. I'm not saying that no one would participate, but I'm saying that the only people who would are the people who should probably be locked up, institutionalize, or put to death. It also works under the rather broad assumption that we are all naturally murders who need to be kept in check and being let go to do our ill deeds for 12 hours a year will get it out of our system. I also find the statement rather amusing that the rich take advantage of the poor in this scenario.... as the poor usually vastly out number the rich, it would make more sense if the people who literally have nothing hunt down rich people and kill them or at least steal everything they have. But it's spun almost in reverse fashion.

After reading what I wrote... I guess I object to the premise because of it defies the very nature of people... and idiots will look at this and think it's a statement on what people are as if it speaks some sort of truth. The media loves to portray the average person as a horrible deviant with the need of law enforcement to keep us all in check. It shows a rather horrible understanding of people and humanity as a whole by the creators of this movie. I guess I thought it looked like shit because I don't like to watch movies where apes throttle each other for joy, which is what this is... apes throttling each other for joy.

Sooo... the gist of this review is "Watch 'Assault on Precinct 13' instead".

Captcha: tea, earl gray, hot. Why, yes, I'll have some tea.

going to disagree about your assertion that the Purge would hurt the poor the most
What i think is more likely is that every year all the poor people would go walk get weapons walk to the rich part of town steal all there stuff take it home.
rich people just buy more stuff poor people now all have big ass plasma screens.

I think the real crime that people will commit will be rape. not just on normal people but on celebrities i mean i bet perverts would annually be queueing around the bock to get a piece of Anna Hathaway or Katy Perry or whoever.
Also pedos would go mad.

So yeah not so fun

On a more even hand of wasted ideas for this premise. The Wealth family is under attack by the poor people created by that unchecked capitalism and the sub-textually the whole thing is seen as sickly justifiable.

In all honesty making up the wasted ideas is probable more entertaining than the movie itself.

ravenshrike:

Scrumpmonkey:
1. A well defined, self determination obsessed far-right government ala the logical extension of the tea-party. The purge is an insane measure. Make the people behind it insane ideologists and maybe it could work.

The amount of partisan bias and banality contained within the above quote is truly worthy of sociological study.

Don't play Bioshock infinite if you think that then. Ken Levine based a lot of the ideologies in that game off the tea party movement. Maybe i should clarify; what i meant was it should be a government that takes those ideals of self determination, self sufficiency and manifest destiny in a very authoritarian direction to the extreme. What I'm saying is that the ideas need to be taken far and beyond their logical end point.

The ultra-right fascist ideals that society should be structured so the 'weak' are purged out of it is something that should really be present in a movie with a premise this grand. If it was done right it could have really given the movie a lot more to say.

The premise of this movie sounds creepy as fuck. Too bad they completely wasted it. Though I do love listening to Bob rip a movie to shreds and talk about what it should have done

KeikakuKat:
More hating on Mitt Romney. I don't even like the guy, so why do I feel the need to jump in on people bashing him? I'm just a weirdo like that, I guess.
Anyway, still a good review. I already wasn't going to see this movie, but at least now I know exactly what's wrong with it. Oh and hey, another Robocop fan! Yay!

I think he was just in the lime light too much and we heard a lot his opinions and he just came to represent oblivious wealthy people. I agree with ya. I don't like him but its not personal

Vault Citizen:

Izanagi009:

Vault Citizen:
I wonder if the Purge would have been better as a tv series in which all the episodes focus on the sane day but from the wealth of different premises possible with the idea of one law free day. In such a series I also think it would be good to show the days leading up to the purge, to see how people prepare (besides the obvious) and the days immediately following to see how people move on from this day each year.

Edit - I was thinking about Bob's comment regarding smaller stores and it made me think that in the world of this movie there might be am additional Black Friday style holiday. The less stock a store has on the day of the purge the less it has to defend and the less it stands to lose. So I can imagine stores, especially the smaller ones who can't afford the security would be inclined to offer discounts on their stock the day before the purge so that they can make some money off of the stock that they risk losing and losing money on if it remains in the store for the dreaded day. In my mind the store owners and customers would take to informally calling this day "Binge Day"

Such a rich premise, such a shame to hear that it wasn't mined properly.

I think it can go further than the binge day thing. People contemplating their morality, riots and revolutions going on, the change in sciencedue to the incusion of forbidden research. The purge is the type of change to society that can reveal so much about humanity and it's society but it was instead used as a cheap setup.

what a disappointment. Moviegoers are dumber in the waste of such potential.

Oh I have no doubt that it could go further than binge day.

Now, how many bad sequels do you think they will try to make?

Hopefully not many because I want people from Cronenburg to Miike to work on the horrifying part of the purge: the scientific research that could be done behind doors would allow for some good body horror and Miike is excellent with brutal fights and murders.

Scrumpmonkey:

ravenshrike:

Scrumpmonkey:
1. A well defined, self determination obsessed far-right government ala the logical extension of the tea-party. The purge is an insane measure. Make the people behind it insane ideologists and maybe it could work.

The amount of partisan bias and banality contained within the above quote is truly worthy of sociological study.

Don't play Bioshock infinite if you think that then. Ken Levine based a lot of the ideologies in that game off the tea party movement. Maybe i should clarify; what i meant was it should be a government that takes those ideals of self determination, self sufficiency and manifest destiny in a very authoritarian direction to the extreme. What I'm saying is that the ideas need to be taken far and beyond their logical end point.

The ultra-right fascist ideals that society should be structured so the 'weak' are purged out of it is something that should really be present in a movie with a premise this grand. If it was done right it could have really given the movie a lot more to say.

He 'based' the ideas off of the Tea Party in the same way he 'based' Bioshock off of Ayn Rand. Which is to say he completely bastardized the ideas in the source material akin to how close Starship Troopers the movie was to the actual book. Also, self determination and sufficiency are inherently at odds with authoritarian government. Not to mention that Fascism is ultra right in the same way that pink is a real color. Hint, it's not.

Admittedly the "class warfare" outcome should've been more obvious to me, but, while I was legitimately interested in how this would play out, I was still trying to reconcile the paradox I felt was in the premise: "Let's devise a way to make everyone less interested in killing people. How? By letting everyone kill people!"

Agreed that the "banned research" angle would've been great, if nothing else than to act as a Chekhov's Gun that turns the climax into a Godzilla rampage.

The overall idea of The Purge sounds absolutely terrifying. Too bad they mishandled it.

Way too many people commenting on the validity of the premise. It's a premise! A set up, a stated, an assumed. Whether or not a government like that would ever exist is irrelevant to the exposition. And that's what Bob is complaining about. The premise isn't something that comes around too often. There are a myriad of interesting and complex insights about human nature that could be delved into with the premise, and of them all, they chose "what happens when a suburban family is attacked by deranged killers?" The ridiculous thing is that it practically ignores the premise completely. The same story could be told word for word about a security paranoid father and his family without a government sanctioned "Purge".

At the least you would want something that focuses on the moral quandary of the ethics involved: the government says "anything goes", but how do individuals react to that freedom within the framework of their internal moral code? Is the 'law' that governs us internal or external? Especially if you want to examine rich vs. poor. Have a poor black man and a rich white man get trapped together to provide a juxtaposition. Does the rich man's higher education lead him to be more humane, is he used to always getting what he wants? Does the poor man's knowing what it's like to suffer prompt him to defend someone else, or has it calloused his empathy? Heck, The Avengers did it better with a few lines of dialog and it was an action movie with the premise being alien invasion.

It's things like this that make me want to try my hand at writing a novel. If they can go through the arduous process of bringing a movie like this to screen...

Everyone says that this is such a good premise for a movie and whatever but it's just not. It's asinine and stupid and reeks of being an adult version of the Hunger Games. That the movie turns out as bad as Bob says is not surprising to me at all, nor should it be to anyone else.

While I'm going to assume that the answer is "no" I'm gonna go ahead and ask anyway because it's been bugging the hell out of me since I first saw the previews for The Purge.

Is there anything close to a rational reason given as to why someone would pay, what is clearly a prohibitively large sum of money for a security system that is really only useful for an annual 12 hours when it would probably be significantly cheaper to...I dunno...use a small fraction of that money to take a day trip to Canada?

Farther than stars:

RJ Dalton:

Sean Kay:

Are you implying that because you don't want to see it, the film as a whole should not exist for other people to enjoy?

After careful consideration, I have decided that, no, this is not what I'm implying. Nothing, in fact, is being *implied* at all. What is being *expressed* is well-earned cynicism about the film industry and its output. It's all quite out in the open, you'll notice.

PoolCleaningRobot:
The premise of this movie sounds creepy as fuck. Too bad they completely wasted it. Though I do love listening to Bob rip a movie to shreds and talk about what it should have done

KeikakuKat:
More hating on Mitt Romney. I don't even like the guy, so why do I feel the need to jump in on people bashing him? I'm just a weirdo like that, I guess.
Anyway, still a good review. I already wasn't going to see this movie, but at least now I know exactly what's wrong with it. Oh and hey, another Robocop fan! Yay!

I think he was just in the lime light too much and we heard a lot his opinions and he just came to represent oblivious wealthy people. I agree with ya. I don't like him but its not personal

Thanks for being so polite. I was totally expecting to get flamed.

You guys are talking of "wasted potential".

Seriously.

WHAT POTENTIAL WAS THERE TO WASTE?!

Lets be clear, The entirety of the movie is based around a really fucking STUPID idea. It ignores everything from history to sociology to economics. Leaving aside the people who would get killed or wounded in this situation due to violence (no easy task), it would end in billions of dollars of property damage. Manufacturing equipment, power lines, sewage treatment, infrastructure, vehicles, hospitals, schools. Tools used for economic activity and to support human life and comfort, which need to be replaced. As for money, you know what many people who had the money to do so would do to the US if "The Purge" was put into practice? LEAVE. They would buy tickets to Canada, Australia, the UK, the EU, Israel, South Africa, Japan and get citizenship there and take their money with them. Businesses would do the same as well as well. You know why you see "made in china" on so many things nowadays? Well partially it has to do with the Chinese workforce being willing to settle for lower wages. But many places in Africa often has even lower standards of living than China does. Now why don't big multinationals send as much work to Africa as they do to China? Many reasons, among them being education and infrastructure, but also big on that list is the fact that China is fairly stable and orderly and not wracked with constant fighting. If you own a factory, among the things you don't want to have happen is having it trashed by a bunch of machine gun wielding idiots having a fight. I also would not want to have to pay for the heavily armed rent-a-cops. If the purge happened and I owned a factory, I would pack it up and move it to a place were their was still rule of law. The purge would, in no uncertain terms, leave America bankrupt, impoverished and ravaged by violence and no amount of half assed "it's in our nature to be violent so we have to let it out" nonsense will make up for it.

Human civilization did not create laws for yuks. We have them and decided to (at least nominally and when we fail to do so, it is just that, a failure on the end of the executing individuals, not the principle, and negatively effects people) enforce them uniformly because they are useful tools to have. Honestly, you could make a better case that mandating that everyone wears must wear a T-shirt with a picture of a badger on it with violators being thrown in prison on it would decrease crime rate and improve the economy than saying the purge is a good idea.

Now some of you guys are going to say "willing suspension of disbelief", but no that does not stand up. I can buy that a ship could fly Faster than Light. There might be some secret of quantum physics out their that allows us to get around the Einsteinian speed limit in some manner or other. Radio 200 years ago would have sounded like magic as well. It's best if you don't talk about how your space opera's hyperspace works on a highly technical level about it's mechanical operation because they are in the end talking out of their ass. And despite that, it is usually used to serve the purpose of allowing humanity to operate on an interstellar level and is not an active insult to the intelligence of anyone who thinks logically about it for ten seconds.

Zor

The best thing about this movie is on Youtube:

Hey guys, there's already a movie which takes a similar concept and does it better. Just watch Zebraman 2: Attack on Zebra City (Wait, see the original first, cause it's core concept is pure magic). And it works better than The Purge because Zebraman 2 has the sense to depict the man responsible for instituting a law which legalizes murder as a frickin' lunatic. Let's not forget that he is also the most faaaaaaabulous fascist scumbag you'll ever see in cinema. Seriously, in this despotic regime, the stormtroopers double as back up dancers.

No, really.

As for the Purge, this class thing is so dull. The elaborate back story is little more than Hollywood twits poking in the eye people they don't like with Saturday morning cartoon caricatures. There are so many other themes such a premise could address: tribalism, primitivism in a world with tanks and ICBMs, "is violence part of human nature or a reaction to the harsh realities of existence?", "do we secretly crave to see civilization go up in smoke?", chicks with swords.

Eh, Bob? I thought that the Purge is a stupid idea to begin with; nothing but a cheap plot device. Not that I think there is anything inherently wrong with the idea, and, in fact, I think it is quite an interesting one. Something like the Purge which seems so fundamentally contrary to our modern definition of society would need an an extremely cogent and well explained justification. Something, which I suspect, is quite beyond the skill of these filmmakers.

EDIT:

Imperator-Zor:
You guys are talking of "wasted potential".

Seriously.

WHAT POTENTIAL WAS THERE TO WASTE?!

Lets be clear, The entirety of the movie is based around a really fucking STUPID idea. It ignores everything from history to sociology to economics. Leaving aside the people who would get killed or wounded in this situation due to violence (no easy task), it would end in billions of dollars of property damage. Manufacturing equipment, power lines, sewage treatment, infrastructure, vehicles, hospitals, schools. Tools used for economic activity and to support human life and comfort, which need to be replaced. As for money, you know what many people who had the money to do so would do to the US if "The Purge" was put into practice? LEAVE. They would buy tickets to Canada, Australia, the UK, the EU, Israel, South Africa, Japan and get citizenship there and take their money with them. Businesses would do the same as well as well. You know why you see "made in china" on so many things nowadays? Well partially it has to do with the Chinese workforce being willing to settle for lower wages. But many places in Africa often has even lower standards of living than China does. Now why don't big multinationals send as much work to Africa as they do to China? Many reasons, among them being education and infrastructure, but also big on that list is the fact that China is fairly stable and orderly and not wracked with constant fighting. If you own a factory, among the things you don't want to have happen is having it trashed by a bunch of machine gun wielding idiots having a fight. I also would not want to have to pay for the heavily armed rent-a-cops. If the purge happened and I owned a factory, I would pack it up and move it to a place were their was still rule of law. The purge would, in no uncertain terms, leave America bankrupt, impoverished and ravaged by violence and no amount of half assed "it's in our nature to be violent so we have to let it out" nonsense will make up for it.

Human civilization did not create laws for yuks. We have them and decided to (at least nominally and when we fail to do so, it is just that, a failure on the end of the executing individuals, not the principle, and negatively effects people) enforce them uniformly because they are useful tools to have. Honestly, you could make a better case that mandating that everyone wears must wear a T-shirt with a picture of a badger on it with violators being thrown in prison on it would decrease crime rate and improve the economy than saying the purge is a good idea.

Now some of you guys are going to say "willing suspension of disbelief", but no that does not stand up. I can buy that a ship could fly Faster than Light. There might be some secret of quantum physics out their that allows us to get around the Einsteinian speed limit in some manner or other. Radio 200 years ago would have sounded like magic as well. It's best if you don't talk about how your space opera's hyperspace works on a highly technical level about it's mechanical operation because they are in the end talking out of their ass. And despite that, it is usually used to serve the purpose of allowing humanity to operate on an interstellar level and is not an active insult to the intelligence of anyone who thinks logically about it for ten seconds.

Zor

Almost exactly what I mean by "contrary to our modern definition of society". Unlike my friend Imperator-Zor, however, I am willing to concede that some creative genius might just come up with working explanation of the Purge.

You know, I don't even think the premise sounds good. It's a stretch a bit too far, there are too many holes in it, it's also pretty obvious- I've heard many conversations about 'what if everything was legal for a day'- no one made a movie out of it because it's silly.

KeikakuKat:

PoolCleaningRobot:

KeikakuKat:

Thanks for being so polite. I was totally expecting to get flamed.

That feel when you're complemented for being polite

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or