Escape to the Movies: The Purge

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Somehow I think The Purge would make a better shared world anthology book than a movie...

Hey, leave Romney alone. He has problems too:

OT: This sucks. I was so excited for the premise. Hopefully someone else will make a movie with a similar premise and do it justice.

I dunno, Bob, I think the premise itself was stupid, too. While idea of the purge may be interesting, it can't happen without opening up massive, movie-wide plot holes. For example:

1. The idea that there would be no ramifications for the purge since the government was not going to punish anyone for it. Oh, I'm pretty sure people would be adequately pissed off to make people pay for what transpired anyway.

2. The idea a government can just condone 12 hours of complete anarchy. No, it's more like people start wheeling out the guillotines and, 12 hours later, you have a new government.

3. The idea you can enforce "level 10" government officials are safe and "class 4" weapons are restricted. With what? The social services that are not there during the purge? They would be far too busy dealing with the chaos in the streets for that to happen.

4. The idea that the economy would improve because of the purge. No, the acts we typically call "crimes" cause economic damage, and not because we arrest people for doing them them.

5. The idea that the rich folk treat the purge as an excuse to make poor people their plaything. No, I'm pretty sure the socially disadvantaged would take this as a marvelous opportunity to arm themselves and claw their way up from the bottom as violently as possible, and they're going to be going where the money is, so it's pretty much a complete reversal.

And so on. I don't know what kind of minds thought that how "the purge" would go, but I'm pretty sure they're mostly trust fund kids. Basically, this "purge" concept was only good for an excuse to have a horror movie, and that's what they ended up with. A home invasion for emotional significance because: money.

It's always a bad sign when the trailer for your movie says "from the creators of Paranormal Activity", but even for them this movie looks like an insult to my intelligence.

KefkaCultist:
I've thought the premise of this movie was astonishingly retarded the moment I heard about it. Of course, most of my friends thought this movie sounded great and intelligent. I'm glad my opinions were founded. lol

I'm glad I'm not the only one, the whole "purge" idea sounds like something an 8 year old would come up with when asked how to solve the world's problems.

bdcjacko:
The whole idea behind the movie makes me angry.

Yeah, same here.

As if the following day after the purge, everyone would go back to their merry on way of living.

Two neighbors greet each other in suburbia.

Joe: Hey Fred, how you doing today?

Fred: Not bad, you?

Joe: Oh, I'm okay...anyways, I see that you raped and murdered my 12 year old daughter, than chopped her head off and placed it on a spike, and placed it on your lawn?

Fred: Yup, good ol' purge last night, that was a lot of fun, you do anything?

Joe: Nah...I slept in.

Fred: well, no hard feelings right?

Joe:...

Fred: hey man, it's the purge, better luck next year.

Anyways, sufficed to say, I don't see civilization going on its merry way, after craziness like that. And just how twisted does the film makers think people really are given the chance? Not saying there isn't a dark side to people. But as if all human civility stems from fear of punishment, not some form of compassion or pity or sympathy towards fellow man. Those qualities don't exist in humans - right? The idea of this movie makes me sick to my stomach.

>>

Drat. I saw a poster for this and the "freedom day" premise really hooked me in, and I wanted to see what they did with it. It is such a good idea for a movie. A shame to see it wasted like this. Somebody really needs to take this high concept setting and run with it.

I mean contrast this movie with something like Daybreakers (also starring Ethan Hawke).In that film they take the concept of "what if everyone was turned into a vampire" and they explore it. That movie could have been about one Vampire running away from a coven and trying to become human again while the family chases him. It needn't have the whole world be vampires and the central plot would be the same. Instead they showed you how the world works when you're vampires. There's no mirrors on cars (no reflections), every house has sun shields, and the mechanics and politics of feeding a nation when humans are a dwindling resource. They even explore the fact that vampires don't grow old in a simple and powerful scene. That was a concept well executed.

The Purge could have said "today the whole police force has gone on strike because the government cut their wages" or something to the same effect. What a shame :(

I Still think that even if you sepened law people wouldn't go around murdering one another
People are basically selfish and you get nothing/very little from killing a homeless guy.
Rape on the other had that would be massive. If you are the type of psychopath that can murder for teh lolz imagine what happens if you see a good looking girl who you know you never stand a change with in real life but tonight you have a gun and she doesn't

While I've agreed with these reviews the past few times I've seen them, I will never forget he suggested inglorious basterds a brilliant movie when it is in my top 3 worse movies I have ever seen.

I literally jumped off feet when I heard Bob say his favourite film is 'Robocop'.

Hey, movie Bob, internet high five!

RJ Dalton:

Farther than stars:

RJ Dalton:

Is that the one about the giant robots fighting monsters from under the sea? The one that looks like Evangelion, but with a burly, hard-boiled soldier for a protagonist instead of a wanker kid? Yeah, that's what I want to see, a live-action anime in which one set of cliche characters are replaced with a completely different set of cliche characters.

Are you implying that because you don't want to see it, the film as a whole should not exist for other people to enjoy?

After careful consideration, I have decided that, no, this is not what I'm implying. Nothing, in fact, is being *implied* at all. What is being *expressed* is well-earned cynicism about the film industry and its output. It's all quite out in the open, you'll notice.

I was just checking, because your sarcastic statement is ambiguous in its intent. Either it was countering the notion that Sean Kay's enthusiasm was appropriate (bad) or it was saying that you are 'another one of the people who are not hype [sic] for Pacific Rim' (legitimate, but unnecessary). Then I questioned you about it and it turned out to be the latter; Schrödinger's box is now open and the cat is alive. Like I said, I was just checking.

thehorror2:
What's the "boyfriend subplot" that he mentions in the stinger? I haven't seen the movie and I have no desire to, but I'm curious what's going on with that.

Just as it sounds, the girl of the family has a boyfriend that the father doesn't approve of. Naturally, he remains in the house for the Purge and loses any relevance after about 5 minutes.

Dammit, I was hoping that this was gonna be a good film. >_<

I was gonna ask some people if they wanted to see this sometime later. Whelp, that's out. Maybe I'll just invite them over and play Toy Story 3 instead.

TrulyBritish:

thehorror2:
What's the "boyfriend subplot" that he mentions in the stinger? I haven't seen the movie and I have no desire to, but I'm curious what's going on with that.

Just as it sounds, the girl of the family has a boyfriend that the father doesn't approve of. Naturally, he remains in the house for the Purge and loses any relevance after about 5 minutes.

Boyfriend shows up. Boyfriend wants approval. Boyfriend gets shot. Boyfriend dies.

Best. Subplot. Ever.

ThunderCavalier:

TrulyBritish:

thehorror2:

Boyfriend shows up. Boyfriend wants approval. Boyfriend gets shot. Boyfriend dies.

Best. Subplot. Ever.

I'd advise you to spoiler that but I'm not sure there's really a point. If there's someone who can't spot the boyfriends intent after like his first ominous sentence I'd be surprised.

Izanagi009:

I think it can go further than the binge day thing. People contemplating their morality, riots and revolutions going on, the change in sciencedue to the incusion of forbidden research.

Well, people dont know science very well-12 hours are nothing to find relevant stuff out. Okay, you can construct the experiments and thing about them outside the 12-h time, but most experiments need more time.
And the most forbidden stuff is synthezising drugs-but that illegal all time an nobody gives a fuck and, well i think medical experiments with humans-but must of these need more than 12 hours too, because you want to know long term effects and not just "does it kill or does it well"
and well playing with humane stem cells or cloning humans and such are forbidden-but cloning needs at least 9 months and working with cells needs also a hell lot of time and very very very good and sterile work(and if someone gets the idea that medical and scientificx equipment is millions worth, you wont work, you will defend your property.
so, no science, 12 hours ist too short for that.

80sboy:

bdcjacko:
The whole idea behind the movie makes me angry.

Yeah, same here.

As if the following day after the purge, everyone would go back to their merry on way of living.

Two neighbors greet each other in suburbia.

Joe: Hey Fred, how you doing today?

Fred: Not bad, you?

Joe: Oh, I'm okay...anyways, I see that you raped and murdered my 12 year old daughter, than chopped her head off and placed it on a spike, and placed it on your lawn?

Fred: Yup, good ol' purge last night, that was a lot of fun, you do anything?

Joe: Nah...I slept in.

Fred: well, no hard feelings right?

Joe:...

Fred: hey man, it's the purge, better luck next year.

Anyways, sufficed to say, I don't see civilization going on its merry way, after craziness like that. And just how twisted does the film makers think people really are given the chance? Not saying there isn't a dark side to people. But as if all human civility stems from fear of punishment, not some form of compassion or pity or sympathy towards fellow man. Those qualities don't exist in humans - right? The idea of this movie makes me sick to my stomach.

>>

You, good sir, just won 200 internets.

As for the movie...well, most of it has been said: In the hands of a good writing team, this could've been quite interesting. Then you see the trailer, hear the exact premise and even find out that the thing was produced by none other than Michael Bay....yeah....

What I think I need to elaborate on is the whole "this could've been interesting"-thing when I just complimented someone who pointed out the idiocy of the plot, right?
Well, while the exact "plot" of the purge is pretty stupid, the idea behind it actually is an interesting, albeit ancient, point to ponder about. It's a real-life reset-button that isn't all that theoretical, particularly among certain races (rats for instance). The thought is simple: If there are too many [insert species here] in one place at a time to provide for all of them, is it right to simply "remove" a number of them, so the remaining society can live under better circumstances?
Most people would immediately rebuke that, with arguments ranging from hollow phrases ("Life is sacred!") to egoistic yet quite understandable arguments ("Well, it could hit me and my loved ones just as well, right?"). The nice thing about fiction is however that you can create a society that is quite okay with such a process. Bringing the sacrifice for the greater good and so on. And given humanity's history (i.e. how the japanese "outwitted" stationary machine guns in the japanese-russian war), this kind of mindset mind be closer to reality than we'd like to admit.

Let me emphasize again that none of these thoughts are really applicable to "The Purge". IF you wanted to bring people to give up their lives for the good of society and a safer future, this is certainly not the way. But the basic idea, the raw prime thought, could make for an interesting (philosophical) debate and, given the right team, even a great movie.

firmicute:

Izanagi009:

I think it can go further than the binge day thing. People contemplating their morality, riots and revolutions going on, the change in sciencedue to the incusion of forbidden research.

Well, people dont know science very well-12 hours are nothing to find relevant stuff out. Okay, you can construct the experiments and thing about them outside the 12-h time, but most experiments need more time.
And the most forbidden stuff is synthezising drugs-but that illegal all time an nobody gives a fuck and, well i think medical experiments with humans-but must of these need more than 12 hours too, because you want to know long term effects and not just "does it kill or does it well"
and well playing with humane stem cells or cloning humans and such are forbidden-but cloning needs at least 9 months and working with cells needs also a hell lot of time and very very very good and sterile work(and if someone gets the idea that medical and scientificx equipment is millions worth, you wont work, you will defend your property.
so, no science, 12 hours ist too short for that.

well, crap, because that sounds like it would have lead to some body horror and insanity if that idea was put on screen

Blunderboy:

Daystar Clarion:
Damn, I was hoping it would deal with the issues you listed Bob, but it just turns out it's another terrible slasher fic?

Boo T^T

Yup, like we don't have enough of this.
My other question is, if there is not going to be any repercussions for your crime why would you bother to wear a mask? Just to be 'spooky'? Sod that.
Everyday people doing horrible things is much scarier than that.

well, ever heard of revenge? i dont think it would be the only purge that year...

----------------------
this would never work in canada.
OR WOULD IT?

btw Mitchell and Webb did a better job at critisizing this dystopian concept that the movie itself did:

The same thing happened to me with Mind Hunters (2004, Val Kilmer as the name-value star who dies first). I was hoping for the story of a Hannibal Lechter wannabe targeting special agents in a desperate act to prove to himself that he's worth something (because being any less than the BEST PSYCHOPATH IN THE WORLD would be insufficient).

I wanted to see the Behavioral Analysis Unit guys trying to keep their composure as their colleagues get picked off one by one. I wanted to see the same kind of FBI procedural that they were hinting at. I wanted this guy to be not so much a genius, but to know how to manipulate geniuses.

Instead I got a badly written, badly acted And Then There Were None-ripoff closed-circle horror-whodunit remake featuring the same sacrificial young adults as every other '80s slasher.

It's like turning a survival horror franchise into a cover shooter (I'm looking at you, EA, and you, SEGA). I'm with Bob. There is so much that can be done with the concept of an amnesty day that this is an insult to all the gods of storytelling.

In fact, I freely give that title, Amnesty Day to anyone who wants to write a movie or television series or even a decent short story about the concept, and do it right. You're welcome.

238U

Imperator-Zor:
Lets be clear, The entirety of the movie is based around a really fucking STUPID idea. It ignores everything from history to sociology to economics.

That describes the majority of movies. You also might want to note that you're posting on a website called "The Escapist" where things such as super-powers are regularly discussed as serious issues.

I'm also not sure that the premise of The Purge is any less realistic than the premise of the typical romantic comedy. Yes, it sounds like a terrible movie (just like those rom-coms) - but it doesn't sound any less realistic than other movies (not at all realistic). Conversely, there are plenty of great movies based on stupid or unrealistic ideas.

In summary: realism of premise does not correlate to the quality of the film it's based on.

geldonyetich:
I dunno, Bob, I think the premise itself was stupid, too. While idea of the purge may be interesting, it can't happen without opening up massive, movie-wide plot holes. For example:

1. The idea that there would be no ramifications for the purge since the government was not going to punish anyone for it. Oh, I'm pretty sure people would be adequately pissed off to make people pay for what transpired anyway.

2. The idea a government can just condone 12 hours of complete anarchy. No, it's more like people start wheeling out the guillotines and, 12 hours later, you have a new government.

3. The idea you can enforce "level 10" government officials are safe and "class 4" weapons are restricted. With what? The social services that are not there during the purge? They would be far too busy dealing with the chaos in the streets for that to happen.

4. The idea that the economy would improve because of the purge. No, the acts we typically call "crimes" cause economic damage, and not because we arrest people for doing them them.

5. The idea that the rich folk treat the purge as an excuse to make poor people their plaything. No, I'm pretty sure the socially disadvantaged would take this as a marvelous opportunity to arm themselves and claw their way up from the bottom as violently as possible, and they're going to be going where the money is, so it's pretty much a complete reversal.

And so on. I don't know what kind of minds thought that how "the purge" would go, but I'm pretty sure they're mostly trust fund kids. Basically, this "purge" concept was only good for an excuse to have a horror movie, and that's what they ended up with. A home invasion for emotional significance because: money.

This is actually a really old idea, with variations being explored through a range of media. This has involved sword and sorcery novels where the laws in a city are suspended for one night out of a year, half the point of which is to show the people's support of their rulership, to dark future novels where specific districts are simply declared
lawless and where people can do whatever they want all the time. The comic series "Bomb Queen" largely revolves around the premise of a super villain becoming so powerful that she pretty much carves out her own little lawless domain in the middle of the US and nobody can do anything about it. In short the idea of "what would happen if all the laws were suspended" is an old one.

To be honest I suppose it hasn't been analyzed in the mainstream very often, but to be honest to really answer all the questions that could be cool about something like this would amount to writing a series of legal documents and a sociological treatise based off of complete fantasy. Most people wouldn't really want to sit down and hear "If we did this, I think this is what would happen" for two hours or more of their life. As a result most things that deal with premises like this tend to focus on particular stories (like we saw with this movie) or a wide view of events based on an ignorant outsider witnessing them, with the important bits being explained as they become relevant to what the characters are experiencing.

At the end of the day one could assume someone setting something like this up for a nation on the level of the USA would of course have limitations placed on it. Of course explaining those limitations would really slow down a movie. For example one would assume that the needs of military discipline would mean that active duty soldiers would not be allowed to participate in the "festivities", as part of the difference between military and social law. They would probably be forbidden to get involved in anything, and would probably be put on high alert for external threats, and forces like the National Guard would be assigned to defend crucial infrastructure points such as power plants, water, etc... and of course with modern surveillance technology you'd think the government would be keeping an eye on people trying to do too much damage.

One also has to remember that people are by definition social animals, and honestly while it's easy to ask what would happen if some real maniac cut loose and decided to say burn down cities while emergency services were out, most people don't have that much of a killer instinct, and also realize they have to live with whatever is left afterwards. What's more if this kind of thing happens regularly, a lot of the real maniacs are going to be the first ones down when everyone wants them dead, which is kind of the point of the entire idea. To be blunt if someone passed a law like this, I'd imagine it would be really nasty the fist few times, but would stabilize afterwards as the real freaks were killed off, and people were increasingly careful about what they did, said, and who they pissed off, knowing that there was going to be 12 hours they would have to answer for it. I mean if someone wants you dead bad enough they are probably going to get you no matter what you do, and some corporate board of directors is going to be less likely to lay off a hundred thousand people to make a few extra bucks if that means there will be that many people willing to do anything to kill them when the time arrives.

That said, I think the thought provoking thing about the system is that it's presented as having worked, and to be honest if done correctly I could see it working out a lot like the movie presents. In the current political climate though it's difficult to do anything but make a horror movie dealing with a small scale incident out of this, because presenting it as a good thing would alienate the 50% of the population on the leftward side of the spectrum to say the least.

See, in my mind if your going to make a shock movie out of something like "The Purge" and focus on the concept the way to do it would be to set it up so it takes place during the very first purge, the idea being new, and of course a lot of things are going to go wrong as it hasn't been thought through yet. Have the movie follow a bunch of buddies getting all psyched up and armed to deal with a bunch of people they believe are causing problems, showing the world as being full of jerks as they do. When they purge starts follow them walking around in a variation of the old "Falling Down" movie murdering a bunch of people (greedy slum lords, local hoodlums, squatters, thieves, junkies, rude businessmen, etc...)that tend to annoy everyone, including a lot of people we saw being jerks at the beginning. Then when the 12 hours are up, fast forward a bit to show the aftermath, and then ironically how what they did left the world a better place for the survivors. Like say "Falling Down" it would be more thought provoking that way, in terms of right and wrong, and
the big picture. That's really the only way you can explore the idea IMO, because if you decide to follow it from the perspective of those being portrayed as victims, the idea goes on the back burner as your too focused on a bunch of sympathetic people trying to survive than on the idea itself.

That said, the review makes it sound pretty much like I'd have expected, I might catch it on Netflix down the road.

Aardvaarkman:

Imperator-Zor:
Lets be clear, The entirety of the movie is based around a really fucking STUPID idea. It ignores everything from history to sociology to economics.

That describes the majority of movies. You also might want to note that you're posting on a website called "The Escapist" where things such as super-powers are regularly discussed as serious issues.

I'm also not sure that the premise of The Purge is any less realistic than the premise of the typical romantic comedy. Yes, it sounds like a terrible movie (just like those rom-coms) - but it doesn't sound any less realistic than other movies (not at all realistic). Conversely, there are plenty of great movies based on stupid or unrealistic ideas.

In summary: realism of premise does not correlate to the quality of the film it's based on.

Well, I just wrote a lengthy post on the subject, but I did want to mention (again) that selling a concept like this is something that takes a lot of explaining and backstory. It's not something you can do easily in a movie. What's more if you want to deal with a premise like this, you have to focus on the premise, not simply turn it into a horror movie, since by definition your showing one specific incident with a group of sympathetic characters you are presumably not going to want to see killed. To make something like "The Purge" work, you need to show how it benefitted society, why people tolerate it, and show it just as much from the perspective of being a good thing as a bad one. I tend to look at a movie like "Falling Down" as an example of how you might do this, you should have someone doing really bad things and killing people, but someone you also want to cheer for. To a lesser extent "Law Abiding Citizen" was also a film of this sort. You take the everyman, have him start gaining holy vengeance on all the annoying things and people that slot everyone off, and as a twist have everything turn out okay in the end because unlike "Falling Down" what the guy is doing isn't illegal at the time, and he isn't insane. Let people debate it in their mind as they feel elated and
dirty at the same time.

To be honest I've read enough similar things in fantasy over the years, some spelled out all at once, some mentioned as an aside, some built gradually, where I don't feel the premise is all that unrealistic as far as hypothetical situations. The idea of "what would happen if the laws were all suspended" is probably as old as laws themselves are. The problem is that you don't have the backstory of your typical cyberpunk setting to explain the idea of a "NoGo" zone, or how private policing combined with limited municipal funding might lead to certain areas of a city not being covered, covered at specific times, or having "rolling" periods where police and emergency services are suspended in specific areas like a brownout with the power company. This is simply a bigger scale version of that.

That said, humans are social animals and I don't think this would turn out quite like the movie presented. The reason being that while things would be violent the first few times, before too long the real dregs and maniacs of society would largely have been killed off, and people would be a lot more careful in dealing with each other knowing what
could happen. I could very well see it changing things for the better. The big thing is that before too long you'd see relatively normal and sane people banding together... like we always do, to create some degree of order even when the laws are officially suspended. Since it's only 12 hours you'd probably see a lot of people in different neighborhoods getting together in patrols and posses and keeping things quiet. Sort of like the "Guardian Angels" gangs. The police might not be active, but that just means your going to wind up answering to the local neighborhood watch. Not to mention the fact that a lot of organized crime syndicates largely came to be due to spotty law enforcement to begin with, paying The Mafia, Triad, Tong etc... protection money simply becomes a bigger deal knowing that was going to happen, and those groups basically represent the order in some places anyway. Intrude on their turf and start wrecking stores that pay them money (they can't collect from stores that don't make a profit) and that problem is going to follow you well beyond the 12 hours.... but again I'm getting well out of context.

Hadn't heard of it before, but listening to that premise, yeah, wasted premise.

Mind you, the premise itself, at face value, doesn't seem to make any sense - first, human nature is such that people aren't just going to forget wrongs done against them once the designated period is finished - I can't see the purge leading to a reduction in crime and dissatisfaction. Secondly, given that the economy would COLLAPSE from MASSIVE high-up government embezzlement most years, I see it leading to a lot of problems.

Is that an exclusive character to the hobbit movie?

The very premise of the Purge is insane. Think of just how much damage a single pyromaniac with some gasoline and matches can do during the Purge with no emergency services to stop a fire from spreading. The fact that the movie shows the Purge as sustainable makes the movie just look dumb.

I'd like to throw my two cents in, because while the premise is mildly interesting, I'm thoroughly disappointed by the fact it was turned into another generic "hate the elites" "capitalism is just predatory darwinism" tirade. C'mon moviebob, the ruling party in the film is not "politically indeterminate"; it's named the "New Founding Fathers", and is clearly just another invocation of the good old boogeyman anarchist.

Which is a damn shame.

Surprisingly enough I managed to escape bombardment by the film's advertisement campaign, and had just the premise introduced to me by a friend, without any of the surrounding film. My initial gut reaction was: "Is it about the Koreans?"

This should have been, and what I was hoping it would have been, is a dramatization of the 1992 Rodney King Riots. Instead we get a generic dig at upperclass whites, despite the fact that they are among the statistically least likely to commit violent crimes (FBI Crime statistics). If something like the purge happened, it wouldn't be your uperclass white neighbors going on mad "patriotic killing sprees," and their suburban neighborhoods would probably be completely unaffected, regardless of any high-tech security system. Rather you'd have the areas that already today are lawless, namely ghettos where a man can be killed in broad daylight and yet have his case go cold, spread to the surrounding urban ethnic neighborhoods (as did happen during those L.A. Riots). The ones filled with the respectable citizens that are nonetheless on the fringes of society. And they'd have to band together to keep themselves and their livelihoods intact.

Now that would of been an interesting movie. A story about a culture that generally tries to conform to the American Dream having to deal with the savagery of those who do not, and the apathy of the society they wish to become a part of. Not to mention awesome action in and around a heavily fortified California Market.

Instead we got psychotic preppies

Wow, that is a good premise.
Would anybody be able to use the premise (for a certain period of time there is no law) without it being copyright infringement? Because I would love to see it done in a better movie.

Personally I think it's a fucking retarded concept for a film because it's based off a concept that no amount of suspension of disbelief would cover- that a party advocating something as utterly insane as The Purge could ever get elected or, if it somehow did, could get the legislation necessary to legalise such an insane concept into effect. But whatever.

i would have thought a more interesting pov for the law would be what the law men do when they dont have to follow their own laws.
they say crime etc is down, wile there is the implication that wile the public do what they want so do the government taking out radicals/undesirables/dissidents thought plain clothed soilders/assains etc.
there would also be the side that the police, paramedics, doctors not having to work can go do their own thing. gang/mob bosses that cant be touched the rest of the time coud find themselfs under attack from the police doing what they cant do otherwise.
a few grants to get them a bit more firepower. at the very least if they dont take down whole orgainisations they could cripple them cost them so much in manpower they are a shell of their former selfs

it would be the whole greater good side of things good people doing bad things because the end result would make their city/state a more peacfull place.

Scrumpmonkey:

Seeing a Private Walmart army in blue and white riot gear complete with store-brand assault rifles fighting off a mob of hungry poor people whilst brightly coloured branding and HFCS fly everywhere in slow motion, all whilst having sold weapons to these people the day before would be a perfect metaphor for modern America.

... I'd watch that.

Scrumpmonkey:

ravenshrike:

Scrumpmonkey:
1. A well defined, self determination obsessed far-right government ala the logical extension of the tea-party. The purge is an insane measure. Make the people behind it insane ideologists and maybe it could work.

The amount of partisan bias and banality contained within the above quote is truly worthy of sociological study.

Don't play Bioshock infinite if you think that then. Ken Levine based a lot of the ideologies in that game off the tea party movement...

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/10/01/ken-levine-bioshock-infinite-is-not-about-the-tea-party.aspx

From Ken Levine himself: "I have no interest, and the team has no interest in masquerading a current political situation in our game as a way to comment on the current political situation"

Do research.

"The purge starts out with a really really good idea for a movie".......

..... Seriously Bob? Seriously!? It's a terrible idea for a movie. It's akin to the idea of 'let's get adam sandler to play as himself and also his sister as a woman! Genius!'

It's not just a bad idea for a movie, it's cheap. It's shallow and very 'hollywood'.

*shakes head* Honestly Bob. Sometimes I think you enjoy being wrong.

I didn't watch the movie but from what you said in the video it seems like what I thought it was is exactly what it is. I thought it was a stupid premise for a movie because of all the bad shit that would happen if you had no law at all. The commercial posits "think of all the good the purge has done" but examining the effect of a "purge" shows that no good would result at all. Banks would be robbed en-masse, terrorist attacks would take place everywhere, if anyone wanted to invade the country as you said, they would during this stupid event and the entire country would be destabilized for the foreseeable future.

One question comes to the fore when I saw the trailers: "Why the fuck are they wearing masks if there is no penalty for doing anything during the purge?"

Stupid.

Izanagi009:

Hopefully not many because I want people from Cronenburg to Miike to work on the horrifying part of the purge: the scientific research that could be done behind doors would allow for some good body horror and Miike is excellent with brutal fights and murders.

Oh God, I would watch the shit out of The Purge as envisioned by Cronenburg or Miike.

Boogie Knight:
Hey guys, there's already a movie which takes a similar concept and does it better. Just watch Zebraman 2: Attack on Zebra City (Wait, see the original first, cause it's core concept is pure magic). And it works better than The Purge because Zebraman 2 has the sense to depict the man responsible for instituting a law which legalizes murder as a frickin' lunatic. Let's not forget that he is also the most faaaaaaabulous fascist scumbag you'll ever see in cinema. Seriously, in this despotic regime, the stormtroopers double as back up dancers.

I'm so happy someone else saw Zebraman 2 (Z1 is better but 2 is more fun).

But you failed to link to the trailer!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 54301)