Intern-Minable

Pages PREV 1 2

Your review reminded me of reading Ebert's book "your movie sucks." Not that that's bad, far from it in fact. Ebert is one of my favorite movie reviewers of all time. (His views on video games are so ignorant it's a sin, but nobody can be good at everything and give credit where credit is due the man knows movies better then anyone maybe ever). Seriously I think I read the sarcastic Ho ho in that book for at least a dozen failed comedies and seeing it again brought a smile to my face. No critic can cover everyone. Th diversity of the human condition prevents that possibility. However I seem to find my view and opinions lying more and more with yours so thank you for that.

It's funny because this perfectly mirrors my initial thoughts on just seeing the posters from the film. I knew very little about it but this article and the onion's video "The internship is the best movie of 2005" pretty much confirmed every conclusion I had jumped to.

Kumagawa Misogi:
The thing is I bet the majority of people on gaming forums also see lots of movies and probably watched cartoons as kids some of my friends never watched cartoons they were always at football practice when they aired on saturday mornings.

Yeah, this right here pretty much nails it. So-called "nerd culture" is interwoven at many points - how many movies have had tie-in video games, how many comic books have been made into movies, how many sci-fi/fantasy properties have been adapted to TV? Those of us immersed in the culture in one aspect or another (and since we're all here posting on a video gaming forum I'd say that's all of us) will not only end up experiencing adaptations of other supposedly geeky media but will also absorb knowledge and trivia from friends who are interested in other aspects of geekdom. Even those who wouldn't call themselves geeks will have learned something, be it from a casual interest in CoD or enjoying Game of Thrones, or even just being peripherally aware of other things via memes.

It can be easy to forget that older people aren't as mired in the internet culture, and that they don't have the knowledge base to draw on. I wouldn't be entirely surprised to know that a 40 year old man doesn't know who Professor X is, because unless he read the comics growing up then he won't have experienced the franchise through the TV shows, video games or movies because they just aren't aimed at him.

Izanagi009:

Scrumpmonkey:

I would actually like that, it would be a comedy about the generational gap that isn't grossly anachronistic. Make it even more jarring by having various traditional religious groups (i know it's a bit heavy but it works) and have them try to get a job in Google or any tech company

There needs to be less "Lol dorks with glasses" jokes and more "Millionaires with a Pruis" jokes. We live in a world with mega-rich tech pioneers in their teens. I mean can you imagine a scene where these two aging has-been actors playing aging has-beens are given a patronizing dressing down by a 17 year old millionaire? It would be genius. Kind of like a middle aged Bill and Ted wonder onto the set of the social network.

Ok here is a better pitch for the movie;

-People are overly nice if slightly smug and slightly self satisfied in that environmentally conscious, obama activist way.

-They get mistaken for slightly folksy tech pioneers "Wow if these guys can act this stupid they must really be brilliant!" and their ignorance is treated and cute and quaint.

-They misunderstand the culture and shenanigans ensue

-They get given a project to do and goof off at all the on the job perks google gives them and mistake their relaxed Californian attitude that is geared towards top Harvard/MIT graduates for somewhere they can just sit around all day

-Maybe a couple of slacker weed jokes

-They have to give a presentation about "Social media in a met hyper-connected world" and get found out and royally mocked and chewed out by people they consider 'dorks'

-Their mentor figure gives them one last chance but everyone has gone full ivy league superior on them so we can route a little for our protagonists.

-They genuinely try for once and give one last ditch pitch and being from a different background come up with something useful.

-People realize their not so different after all, the magic of friendship is found, care-bears etc etc

It's a rough idea of a plot that might actually ring some humor or at least warmth out of the story.

I haven't seen the movie... but it looked to me like there was a role reversal of geek and non-geek culture. That concept was irritating in itself because the idea of "Revenge of the Nerds" where the jocks are laughed at and the Nerds get all the ladies and money and what not was really annoying. So, it's geeks within geeks? That actually makes the prospects of this movie even worse than what I thought previously.

Scrumpmonkey:

Izanagi009:

Scrumpmonkey:

I would actually like that, it would be a comedy about the generational gap that isn't grossly anachronistic. Make it even more jarring by having various traditional religious groups (i know it's a bit heavy but it works) and have them try to get a job in Google or any tech company

There needs to be less "Lol dorks with glasses" jokes and more "Millionaires with a Pruis" jokes. We live in a world with mega-rich tech pioneers in their teens. I mean can you imagine a scene where these two aging has-been actors playing aging has-beens are given a patronizing dressing down by a 17 year old millionaire? It would be genius. Kind of like a middle aged Bill and Ted wonder onto the set of the social network.

Ok here is a better pitch for the movie;

-People are overly nice if slightly smug and slightly self satisfied in that environmentally conscious, obama activist way.

-They get mistaken for slightly folksy tech pioneers "Wow if these guys can act this stupid they must really be brilliant!" and their ignorance is treated and cute and quaint.

-They misunderstand the culture and shenanigans ensue

-They get given a project to do and goof off at all the on the job perks google gives them and mistake their relaxed Californian attitude that is geared towards top Harvard/MIT graduates for somewhere they can just sit around all day

-Maybe a couple of slacker weed jokes

-They have to give a presentation about "Social media in a met hyper-connected world" and get found out and royally mocked and chewed out by people they consider 'dorks'

-Their mentor figure gives them one last chance but everyone has gone full ivy league superior on them so we can route a little for our protagonists.

-They genuinely try for once and give one last ditch pitch and being from a different background come up with something useful.

-People realize their not so different after all, the magic of friendship is found, care-bears etc etc

It's a rough idea of a plot that might actually ring some humor or at least warmth out of the story.

That could work. There just needs to be less anachronistic humor and more humor based on the pressures and rewards put upon the tech giants.

Most expensive commercial ever made?

Okay, its not funny, that's all you needed to say.

Personally, everything else about the plot, characters, and possible humor sounded good to me. Don't go off on "what, you do think...what, you don't think...what, you don't think...?" because I kind did.

-_-

Yes, I'd like to see 80s and 90s pop references being dropped, and no I don't care if the whole "the economy sucks now" isn't brought up in a comedy movie.

-_-

But if it's not funny, it's not funny. And that is all that matters with comedy...nothing else.

This sounds a lot like the premise of the movie "Grandma's Boy" which I mistakenly watched part of on tv while bored. The plot almost made me physically sick. This is another reason why I hate "generation X". Its like aren't any freaking young people in charge of anything. Anybody under 30 would have known this movie was riddled with bullshit, outdated stereotypes but the aging ass holes who made this movie couldn't be bothered to listen. Its enough that politics and the news are still run by these kind of gen x's but Hollywood too? Ridiculous

Wow you made that sound to bad its painful just to know it exists. Does not surprise me its horrible though i saw a few commercials for this and thought they were adverting some commercials pretending to be a web series I did not even realize it was a movie till I read this article, heck I don't even remember what they were trying to advertise. (it was not Google it was some product tie in commercials).

Darth_Payn:
Hoo boy, Bob's in full-on film snob mode here. I read Vince Vaughn co-wrote it, so I didn't expect him to really stretch the material in Internship. But then again, Bob hasn't been a reliable voice of opinion when it comes to comedies.

So he's a snob for not liking shitty retreads of unfunny jokes and cliches that were already annoying over a decade ago (and DEFINITELY don't make any sense in fucking 2013)?

Disagreeing with you =/= snob, just to let hypersenstive folks like you know.
------------
Just to address the Professor Xavier thing...no. There have been FIVE blockbuster movies about the X-Men in the past decade, plus a MAJOR hit television show in the 90's. Sure you may have not been watching it every Saturday, but if you were around in the 90's, you've heard of the fucking X-Men, and at least have HEARD the biggest icons of the franchise (the dude with the blades, the magnet dude, the psychic dude in the wheelchair). FIVVVVVVE smash hit movies within the past decade, with the most recent one BEING ENTIRELY FOCUSED ON THE BACKSTORY OF PROFESSOR X AND MAGNETO. There are just some things that become those Major Inescapable Household Names after, what, two DECADES of mass popularity that even if you've never read/watched a frame of anything related, you have a passing knowledge of the basics.

Even within the context of the movie it doesn't make sense. These aren't Buddhist Monks or Amish priests or even fresh out of jail felons that have been away from society for years. They're just two jackass "fast-talking" watch salesmen in their early 40's. Even the "sports bar/strip club" crowd are going to have a passing knowledge about the Big Event iconography. Hell that's what that crowd is ALL ABOUT and the only kind of movies they go see, the Big Events like Transformers or The Avengers or Fast & The Furious and, yes, X-MEN. They're not be able to tell you the details of it of course, but they're GOING to have a passing knowledge of the bare basics of multi-billion dollar franchises like that.

And you wanna know the really stupid thing about it all?

THE MOVIE ITSELF ACKNOWLEDGES ALL OF THIS WITH ITS OWN JOKE.

Think about it: If the movie didn't namedrop someone that basically everyone in the audience already knows, we wouldn't laugh at the gag of "Tee hee they're confusing this old guy for Professor X LOL!" If the joke was made around someone like Scott Summers or Jean Grey, the whole audience wouldn't be able to get the joke since not everyone in the audience knows who they are (similar to how only half the audience Squeed with Joy at Thanos's appearance while the other half was like "Who?"). So the movie ADMITS that these guys are the big ol DerpyDerps for not knowing something that's so obvious to the laughing audience.

It's just a stupid fucking joke that's a microcosm a stupid fucking movie that feels like it was sitting in someone's drawer for a decade that just got dusted off and shat out now to give The Wedding Crasher Guys something to do. Why anyone is coming to defense of this forgettable piece of worthlessness is beyond me.

I haven't seen the movie, but I'm really not sure what Bob is most upset about. He spent a lot of time talking about stereotypes and I don't see why that's such a big deal. I think that people on the internet generally believe that everything is so much more culturally evolved today; but I don't feel that's the reality. How are people as a whole really any different than ten or twenty years ago? You might say that you've grown up, but the world hasn't and that's why I don't get it when someone rails against stereotypes when entertainment is what has always defined them to begin with.

Maybe it's just too hard to say it wasn't funny when you're a film critic, I dunno.

Didn't hear about this movie until recently.

Kinda wish I hadn't, given how boring it sounds.

Thanks Bob now I have reasons beyond my initial sighting of the posters to not see this one, my reservation was based on the film advertisements seeming too much like an well an extended advert but bad comedy too though, that really does get up in my grill.

I saw this movie using a free movie ticket due to my generally weekly treks to the theater during the summer. I had zero expectations going into this movie. It was funny. And it treated certain classes of nerds as not exactly as perfect as the guardians of nerd culture tend to treat them.

I'm a nerd who knows many nerds. Nerd culture has many dark corners to it. Lampooning that is something I liked.

I'm so glad I didn't see "The Purge."

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or