Unskippable: Spec Ops: The Line

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Spec Ops: The Line

Graham and Paul take us through the sandy desert in order to bring us to Spec Ops: The Line.

Watch Video

*Starts video*
What is this nonsense? Why are you showing me gameplay instead of cutscenes? Have I stumbled into a Let's Play?
*Watches a bit*
Ah. They needed that gameplay to establish context for a throwaway CoD joke.

Also, is the Moonbase actually in the game? Do you have to douse Jer with white phosphorous?

Before anyone asks, I'm fairly sure that the "Special Guest" credit for LRR Moonbase just puts the player's name in that spot. It's been a few months since I played the game.

I didn't know you guys had a moonbase. Can I visit it sometime?

Those other helicopters weren't even attacking! And that poor pilot ran into it head on and suffered massive cranial damage.
If it wasn't for the sand at the beginning I'd have thought we were standing at the Mississippi Supreme court.

DVS BSTrD:
Those other helicopters weren't even attacking!

No, they were attacking. It's just that for every chopper staying behind them shooting rocket pods, there was another two that decided to fly by so they could wave.

"Fucking Hero": a game whose non-existence proves that the Kinect has failed to live up to its potential.

Here's hoping he doesn't get crane-ial damage. There, a crane one-liner.

Why was he suffering damage when they weren't shooting at him?

I heard "Captain Walker" and it was in the desert...thoroughly expecting a Beyond Thunderdome reference that never came. :(

You guys better get that check, or else I'll raise hell.

Can I call dibs on visiting the moonbase, guys? I need some more material for my fanfic and could use a good location to add.

CAPTCHA: turn the tables

God, I hope not...

Just FYI, flying a flag upside down is meant as a distress signal.

Endocrom:
Just FYI, flying a flag upside down is meant as a distress signal.

"HELP! We forgot which way is up!"
Nah I know that's true, but I couldn't help myself.

This was a funny episode and all, but I feel like you guys really failed to tap into Spec Ops' inherent comedy potential. Although really, I don't think the game needs anyone's help to be funnier.

Am I the only one who thinks of Tommy whenever I hear the words "Captain Walker"?

When I saw what game's opening you guys were lampooning today, I thought "Uh oh. If this game made Yahtzee depressed when he reviewed it, what will it do to Graham and Paul?" Well, this was pretty funny, taking the piss out something that sledgehammers "GRIM N GRITTY SERIOUS" on you. And the more I here about "Captain Walker", my mind always brings up this guy: http://marvel.wikia.com/John_Walker_(Earth-616)
A little rough around the edges, sometimes butting heads with Steve Rogers, but a pretty stand-up guy.

SirPlindington:
This was a funny episode and all, but I feel like you guys really failed to tap into Spec Ops' inherent comedy potential. Although really, I don't think the game needs anyone's help to be funnier.

A little more elaboration, please?

"Sir, they're shooting down our helicopters!"
"Send more helicopters!"
"But sir, those are expensive!"
"We'll see which runs out first. Their bullets or our budget!"

Nicely done, though it should be noted that the game eventually takes a different turn from what you'd expect.

I still highly recommend it, just be prepared to feel like crap afterwards...

CrazyGirl17:
Nicely done, though it should be noted that the game eventually takes a different turn from what you'd expect.

I still highly recommend it, just be prepared to feel like crap afterwards...

Do you feel like a hero yet?

It's okay, you're still a good person.

Thunderous Cacophony:
*Starts video*
What is this nonsense? Why are you showing me gameplay instead of cutscenes? Have I stumbled into a Let's Play?
*Watches a bit*

We've used scripted gameplay sequences a bajillion times before, it wasn't just for the joke... that's how the game starts, that's how we show it.

I wish I had a +2 Minigun of Helicopter Slaying during my run...

Darth_Payn:

SirPlindington:

A little more elaboration, please?

Well, the twist is mildly ridiculous, the plot revolves around an insane clusterfuck of miscommunications and idiocy (that, hilariously, the game tries to blame you for), and some of the loading screen tips and

make for good riffing.

Darth_Payn:
Snip'd

It was a joke. Spec Ops is a dark dark game. There's not a lot of "inherent comedy value" in it.

EDIT'D:

NeutralDrow:
snip'd

Well slap me on a frying pan and call me an omelet, apparently there is laughs a plenty in Spec Ops. Color me corrected.

SirPlindington:
EDIT'D:

NeutralDrow:
snip'd

Well slap me on a frying pan and call me an omelet, apparently there is laughs a plenty in Spec Ops. Color me corrected.

Well, I guess I have to admit that, at the time, I wasn't really laughing at those things so much as feeling insulted by them. The humor's kind of in hindsight, after I realized I wasn't really the target audience. My riffing was more along the lines of

SirPlindington:

I know that humour is down to taste and all, but I don't think I've met anyone who calls this game "funny". Are you sure you're thinking of the right game? This is the one where refugees get massacred with white phosphorous.

Callate:
"Fucking Hero": a game whose non-existence proves that the Kinect has failed to live up to its potential.

the Achievements would be amazing.

Bro, was she legal?: Fuck a questionably young woman and the google her name because you ar'n't sure of her age.

This game can also be combined with guitar hero for the ultimate groupie experience.

NeutralDrow:

SirPlindington:
EDIT'D:

NeutralDrow:
snip'd

Well, I guess I have to admit that, at the time, I wasn't really laughing at those things so much as feeling insulted by them. The humor's kind of in hindsight, after I realized I wasn't really the target audience. My riffing was more along the lines of

Fair enough. In that case, I guess there is sort of comedy in Spec Ops, if only in making fun of the melodrama. That'd come a bit late for Unskippable though.

Farther than stars:
[Snip'd

See previous comments RE: Le joke. Also maybe look up Poe's Law.

Huh, well that is distinctly trippy that the LRR moonbase was accidentally name-dropped there.

Johnny Novgorod:
Am I the only one who thinks of Tommy whenever I hear the words "Captain Walker"?

It's unfortunate that Captain Walker never came home. His unborn child will never known him.

Unskippable or LRR needs to do a Crocodile Hunter-themed series about the hierarchy in gaming. They can start with the minigun, the chopper's natural enemy and work up to its natural predators.

"I'm pretty sure the last two weren't even attack helicopters."

The minigun is an insatiable beast that cannot end its rage voluntarily.

"The man's a fucking hero."

I just wish he'd stop sending me the videos.

How do I get diplomatic immunity for my butt? Do I need to join the nation of LRR Moonbasikstan?

Johnny Novgorod:

I pretty much can't hear the words without thinking of Tommy.

Callate:

Here's to the "always on" Xbox One.
I do my gaming in the bedroom, if ya know what I mean.

I am a firm believer that if achievements and global rankings were suddenly integrated into the carnal arts only good things could happen.

Upside down flag means distress... I thought that was pretty common knowledge.

There ain't no moonbase like a LRR moonbase, because the LRR moonbase goes off!

Graham_LRR:

Thunderous Cacophony:
*Starts video*
*Watches a bit*

We've used scripted gameplay sequences a bajillion times before, it wasn't just for the joke... that's how the game starts, that's how we show it.

It just seems like you skip most of the scenes where you actually are involved in the game and can die, as oppsoed to scenes where you walk around for a bit (see: the last Resident Evil). It was just unusual to see you fighting.

Thunderous Cacophony:
It just seems like you skip most of the scenes where you actually are involved in the game and can die, as oppsoed to scenes where you walk around for a bit (see: the last Resident Evil). It was just unusual to see you fighting.

Fair enough. It was a heavily scripted sequence, so we figured we'd leave it in.

"oh we didn't need that skyscraper, we have more"

Oh that hit me so hard XD !!

I still don't get it, finally a game set in Dubai and it's banned here in the UAE. New York is the hot spot for alien invasion, natural disaster and end of the world destination you don't see them banning movies, games and other stuff.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here