Zero Punctuation: Fuse

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

gyrobot:
Have anyone here played the game before making a judgement?

I've completed it on Co-op on the hardest difficulty at a friend's house. It's bland and samey, with crazy impossible level architecture and oddly out of place 'humor' from when it was a much funnier game.

It's also laughably easy with 2+ people, we killed the final boss on the first attempt only dying a total of 4 times through the entire playthrough.

The mechanics themselves are pretty cool though I guess, I enjoyed a lot of the minute to minute combat. And it doesn't have many missions but at least takes longer to complete than CoD and has a competent (if easy) survival mode thing.

Honestly I think Yahtzee was pretty spot on, and I enjoyed playing the game.

I haven't laughed this much at a Zero Punctuation in ages; good show old boy!

Soulful, humorous, life, personality.

Dead, empty, brown, emotionless.

A lot sure happened in a short amount of time.

This is pretty much the same impression I got form playing the demo. (I was actually considering buying this game, because a) couch co-op! and b) TWO female playable characters, but this way we'll at least get to replay Borderlands (2) yet again.)

Johnson McGee:
Insomniac, how do you go from Spyro and Ratchet and Clank to... this?

I think it has to do with the directions their two rivals/buddies took. Insomniac, Naughty Dog, and Sucker Punch all started from the same era, in the same neighborhood, making the same kind of games with slight differences. Then they all took different directions. Insomniac made a shooter with R&C guns in Resistance, Naughty Dog took Tomb Raider in positive directions for once and made Uncharted, and Sucker Punch somehow made a superhero game that wasn't ass and made inFAMOUS.

Insomniac just didn't see the success the other two were getting, so tried to get it back by pandering to the R&C crowd again. It worked, just not enough for them... Naughty Dog and Sucker Punch found their niche and made bank off of it, and Insomniac wanted to be just as successful. So they tried cheating the system by making games from now on that require up to 4 players to play correctly.

Problem is no one wants to do that... not in a R&C game, and certainly not in a bland shooter. Insomniac insists on staying in a genre they seem to have no fucking clue how to make. And that's sad, because I don't want to see them go under... you almost want to see Naughty Dog and Sucker Punch visit them and have an intervention.

Casual Shinji:

Devoneaux:

Casual Shinji:
What the fuck happened to you this generation, Insomniac? You used to be such a suave devil, and now you're just some game company that I used to know.

Insomiac is to game development what M. Shyamalamalan is to movies, made one or two good games, but when called to do something new they fuck it up each and every time.

Well that's a bit harsh. I mean Insomniac made three terrific Spyro games and three terrific Ratchet and Clank games. Tools of Destruction and A Crack in Time had their merrits, too. So they're fine in that regard.

It's their baffling attempts to break into the gritty shooter world that has made them lose sight of where their true talents lie. Or maybe all that talent is simply all gone now.

Honestly, all of the ratchet and clank games are just more of the same but with a few new gadgets/guns. Could have been DLC packs and not made a bit of difference, so I don't wanna count those sepperately, not sure how their other titles hold up in this regard.

It's refreshing to see he found something to get his vitriol up again. He'd been far too happy about games for awhile now, and it was starting to lose something. So, thank you Fuse, for bringing some well wanted refreshing chastisement back to everyone's favorite snarker.

I feel sort of sad for Insomniac. They had an interesting idea with Overwatch, but somewhere along the line that idea was scrapped and exchanged for Fuse. And their recent Ratchet & Clank games haven't been all that great, either.

Let's just hope it's a temporary slump they're in...

You had me at "Black Man" Yahtzee! LOL!

XD

canadamus_prime:
Started off kinda slow this week, but half way through the video I could not stop laughing.

Yeah this was one of those episodes where I couldn't stop giggling to myself. This isn't so much a review of a single game but a review of 20% of modern games and Yahzee seems to be in a good mood this week. He has a happy little voice.

Sexy Devil:

At least that one's colourful and looks like it has some personality.

I get that it's still a co-op game and such, but I'll take it over blandy brown sover-based shooter.

DVS BSTrD:
I must applaud Insomniac: even with all the character's heads cut off, somehow they still managed to...

*puts on sunglasses*

... Blow a Fuse

Okay lol, I was and wasn't expecting the link to do that but not so loudly.

But what kills me is that they redesigned Overstrike but Sunset Overdrive is also debuted in a similar design by them as well so why would they keep Sunset that way if someone though Fuse was a better direction to take to market?

Edit:Oh I see after watching the trailers for both EA doesn't seem to have a hand in Sunset Overdrive at all just Microsoft so meanig EA more than likely pushed for the redesign...

This makes me sad.
Spyro was the shit! How about bringing that 'lil purple badass back?
While I'm on this nostalgia train, someone gimme some more Crash Bandicoot too!

I remember watching the first trailer for this game back in 2011. I remember the unique art style and colourful humour. Now all I see is what apperas to be a bland gritty cover based shooter. It's quite sad.

Man, this video cracked me up! That myeh-meyh-meh laugh from Alice: Madness Returns, freaking out over Jericho, and that deep voice for Insomniac (was that used before?) just sold it. Did they ever find Valve's body? And I have that NERF gun!

Funny if boring.
Also anyone else notice Yatzhee's impression of a dumb Fuse box sounded exactly like the Orc Peon from the Warcraft games? It was a little uncanny.

And the original trailer looked so promising...

A shame they had to dick about with Overstrike then, eh. I was looking forwards to grappling with Izzy.

Quiotu:

Johnson McGee:
Insomniac, how do you go from Spyro and Ratchet and Clank to... this?

I think it has to do with the directions their two rivals/buddies took. Insomniac, Naughty Dog, and Sucker Punch all started from the same era, in the same neighborhood, making the same kind of games with slight differences. Then they all took different directions. Insomniac made a shooter with R&C guns in Resistance, Naughty Dog took Tomb Raider in positive directions for once and made Uncharted, and Sucker Punch somehow made a superhero game that wasn't ass and made inFAMOUS.

Insomniac just didn't see the success the other two were getting, so tried to get it back by pandering to the R&C crowd again. It worked, just not enough for them... Naughty Dog and Sucker Punch found their niche and made bank off of it, and Insomniac wanted to be just as successful. So they tried cheating the system by making games from now on that require up to 4 players to play correctly.

Problem is no one wants to do that... not in a R&C game, and certainly not in a bland shooter. Insomniac insists on staying in a genre they seem to have no fucking clue how to make. And that's sad, because I don't want to see them go under... you almost want to see Naughty Dog and Sucker Punch visit them and have an intervention.

That's a pretty sad analogy, like what happens between three childhood friends that eventually split and meet again decades in the future, only that one hasn't been doing so well and is suffering from some kind of disease.

OT: Well yahtzee pretty much said it all, kind of sad I was really looking forward to this game when i first saw it years ago, then forgot about it due to bad memory and distractions, Such a shame it ended like this, those guns looked like so much fun to use.

Wow, this was one of the more funnier episodes I've seen from Yahtzee. Nice to see he can still manage to make me laugh even though I've seen so much of his stuff I can practically predict the jokes 2mins in.

Yeah...

:/

They really cut off the characters heads in the box art?
What were they thinking?

I nearly forgot this game was coming out lol

I'm okay with 4-player co-op games, but it's just hard for me to find 3 blokes who wanna play
on average I've managed to find 1-2 friends to play BL2, but yeah...solo is so boring :[

I first heard of this game when the Jimquisition mentioned it like last week or the week before, and when he showed a quick clip of what was going to be Overstrike and I got really excited because I thought it LOOKED fantastic, and a rare shooter that I might actually want to play.

But then he mentioned how it was now called Fuse and showed what it looked like now...

...and that made me remember why I don't really play a lot of video games anymore outside of my iPod.

From what I understand, the Overstrike was more GI-Joe: A Real American Hero, and FUSE is more GI-Joe: The Rise of Cobra. I would like the former.

deleted duplicate post

You know, there was a chance that Overstrike could've been as boring to play as this. But at least it would've been fun to look at.

Really fun to look at. on the bright side,t his episode was made, so congrats on being fucking hilarious.

But the worse loss by far was this (posted back in September):

Started off kinda slow, but towards the end my stomach was hurting from all the laughing.

I guess I should commend you for another well done episode Yahtzee.

Ben

Please do Civilization 5 Brave New World when it is released.
Don't care if you pulverise it. I will still be playing it afterwards.

Thanks in advance.

Despite not playing console games (can really only afford my computer, because I work on it), Overstrike looked interesting. Fuse just looks... Fugly.

I don't fully blame Valve for 4-person co-op. I blame the clueless retards trying to cash in on a good idea without grasping what made it good in the first place. So fuck you, EA, and your pack of focus groups, for messing up a game with potential and made it into another dog shit brown cover-based shooter!

Next week, a bile-filled tsunami is coming in regards to the news coming out of E3.

Sad really. The trailer really got me pumped for the game.

Dragonbums:

LadyRhian:
Despite not playing console games (can really only afford my computer, because I work on it), Overstrike looked interesting. Fuse just looks... Fugly.

And the game still has that "zany" charm but shifted from classic GI Joe to "GI Joe vs Cobra", and if you really want OS' classic look. Buy Sunset Overdrive instead of complaining so much about the game, or at least watch a playthrough before making judgement.

As quoth someone else on another site who isn't as jaded as we all are...

Cody Fett, post: 11038500, member: 30108:
Sir, me, Doug, and Cyclone have played through almost the entire game together, so we know what we're talking about when we say it's not generic. It's just . . . Well, it's kind of like Dr. McNinja or G.I. Joe in that it has a lot of absurd and fantastical stuff in it, and then addresses it with a completely straight face. This is a universe with mercenary groups building massive underwater bases captained by psychic Russian crack-addicts and giant fighting robots are apparently common and well-known things, and those are just the tame examples. If those things are somehow generic, please, tell me which games in the last ten years have them because I've never heard of them.

gyrobot:

Dragonbums:

LadyRhian:

And the game still has that "zany" charm but shifted from classic GI Joe to "GI Joe vs Cobra", and if you really want OS' classic look. Buy Sunset Overdrive instead of complaining so much about the game, or at least watch a playthrough before making judgement.

As quoth someone else on another site who isn't as jaded as we all are...

Cody Fett, post: 11038500, member: 30108:
Sir, me, Doug, and Cyclone have played through almost the entire game together, so we know what we're talking about when we say it's not generic. It's just . . . Well, it's kind of like Dr. McNinja or G.I. Joe in that it has a lot of absurd and fantastical stuff in it, and then addresses it with a completely straight face. This is a universe with mercenary groups building massive underwater bases captained by psychic Russian crack-addicts and giant fighting robots are apparently common and well-known things, and those are just the tame examples. If those things are somehow generic, please, tell me which games in the last ten years have them because I've never heard of them.

And you know what would've complimented that? A crazy art style to go with it. Which they scrapped to make it look like EVERYTHING ELSE.
Also as far as I'm concerned they focused on the co-op and the shooting rather than the sense of humor when it came to advertising.

Sorry but if you want your game to stand out from the other shooters you have to MAKE it stand out. Don't sit there and blame the consumers for passing it up because it looked like every other CoD clone. They got us hyped with a game that actually looked different, then changed it at the last minute. Telling us to get over it and buy ANOTHER game is quite rude.
I'm not saying Sunset Overdrive is a bad game. I don't want to go off topic by talking about another game.

Well that is the whole point, gameplay matters before the other features. Otherwise we would have been cursing on how Overstrike's trailer made the game looked better than what we got ;p.

I remember watching the original trailer at E3 2011, and it meed me sad that I don't have a PS3.

Guess the universe corrected itself to make me happy, you can all blame me.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 54106)