Escapist News Now: Playstation 4 Revealed & Sony Burns Microsoft

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Playstation 4 Revealed & Sony Burns Microsoft

We finally get to see what the PS4 looks like and Sony takes some jabs at Microsoft over used games.

Watch Video

Yup, Sony basically murdered Microsoft during their conference. Tweet feed was just freaking hilarious!
P.S. Ma'idah, you look adorable.

Totally agree with the internet buzz. It's 187 on Sony's competitors. The only slight sting was the requirement of Playstation Plus to play online multiplayer, but that doubt is shortly taken away when I remember the following:

1. They didn't raise the price, so any current subscriber gets automatic conversion to PS4 with no extra cost.

2. PS+ is one of the best subscription programs I've belonged to in regards to how much I pay for what I get out of it. For only about $5 a month, I've been able to download dozens of awesome games for FREE (I'm currently working through Sleeping Dogs). The PS4 hasn't even come out yet and Sony is telling me about at least one planned game they are giving me for free.

3. The discounts...oh, the discounts. As if I had any doubts about loving PS+, they're having an E3 sale that is offering some massive cuts to good-looking games. It reminds me of the raging internal debates when good Steam sales come up. Surely, I shouldn't buy them all...but the price is so good, it's be financially irresponsible not to, right?

4. PS+ will not dictate the use of my machine as a media center. If I theoretically decide to get rid of my PS+ (I don't know why I would, as I love the service to death) it doesn't just limit my box to a DVD player. I still have full access to the various online media apps like Netflix.

At the end of the day, I'm already hooked on PS+ already and preach to my friends about how, if they're a PS3 or Vita owner, they're foolish not to get it. Hopefully Sony continues the trend in providing a very customer-centric service. If the new changes mean that some of those subscription fees will go towards the upkeep of the multiplayer servers, I'm alright with that, too.

Don't think I could argue with you on that. Even if I wanted to.
;D And I don't.

Well done Lashani. Hope to see ya more often as E3 goes on.

IllumInaTIma:

That was pretty much my first thought as well.

Well, on to the meat and potatoes. The PS4 doesn't look to bad. I did just spend 600+ on a middling gaming PC so I'm not sure I'll be getting one any time soon, but it's much more likely to get my money than the Xbone, especially when it drops a couple hundred bucks in price.

If the PS Plus continues to involve free and discounted titles (discounted compared to the competition) as well as all of the current additional content, and the (now pay to use) multiplayer infrastructure runs smoothly, I have no problem with $5 per month.

Originally, before details emerged, I had planned to buy both the XBone and the PS4. The main reasons I didn't already own a 360 (which I kind of wanted to play with my non PS using friends) were the lack of enough exclusive content on either side to justify the purchase, and the impending new generation making a 360 obsolete in too short a time to make the purchase worth it. I kept telling my friends that I was just going to wait until the new generation came out and buy both.

After seeing Microsoft's pitch and it's (what I consider) negatives; needing to connect at least once every 24 hours, on-console DRM, Kinect being a core part of use, more of an emphasis on being a media hub than a game system, paid online usage (not as much of a problem on its own), then seeing what Sony had to offer on the PS4, I now have zero intention to buy an XBone.

Being a potential two console owner, the ability to take a poke at the used games market would be even more of a lure as there would be even more titles that I would either A) not want to buy at full retail due to either the overall cost or the questionable quality of the game or B) Games that I would end up getting for both and would thus buy one used and have to buy an after the fact online pass for to play online with my friends on other consoles. As I have more friends on PS, that would likely be the full priced purchase.

Microsoft threw a monkey wrench in that, sure enough and guaranteed my purchasing of the PS4 alone.

After seeing BF4's multiplayer footage (along with the 64 player multiplayer on consoles at 60fps) and the announcement of DICE working on a Frostbite 3 based Star Wars Battlefront, I haven't been this excited for a game/console release in over a decade.

This is ridiculously off-topic, but is it just me or does this Ma'idah person look quite a bit like a young Claudia Black?

Pointless musings aside, this video was quite good and I appreciated the host's laid-back enthusiasm. Hope to see more of Ma'idah in the future and hear more good things about the winner of the next-gen console war (Sony).

IllumInaTIma:
Yup, Sony basically murdered Microsoft during their conference. Tweet feed was just freaking hilarious!

Nasrin is super cute! I also get huge ASRM triggers on her voice with headphones for some reason.

OT: I was laughing really hard when Sony just murdered MS. It's a shame about the paid multiplayer though (however, I am a PS+ subscriber...).

Aye, it looked well clear cut to me.

Microsoft:

Michael Ferrer as Bob Morton (Robocop), partying like it's 1989 before getting shot and blown to pieces.

(gets murdered not much after having this here 'good' time with hookers and blow)

Sony:

Takeshi Kitano playing Takeshi Kitano being Takeshi Kitano, usually in a Takeshi Kitano production of a Takeshi Kitano movie. Also, all your castles are belong to him. Also, the guy that just must have inspired the design of Sen's castle in Dark Souls. He's that awesome. He also made a videogame that hardcore trolled video gamers. It's art. Trust me, it really is. Also, check out his movies if you haven't already.

May look funky, may die in pretty much all of his movies, but kills it every time he shoots, stabs murders and kills people. Also, randomly breaks out in dance routines. My type of guy.

Sony, let me throw money at you.

Microsoft... yeah, no. Sorry.

Sony learned from the past. I mean hell 399, that is a price I can like allot. And around xmas I might be able to pull that from the bank. With maybe an extra 70 for a nice game. No more 599.. and 2 years of very lean gaming.

They actually worked hard to go for a good launch. Also love the no requirement for online. Yes my internet is pretty decent.. still. I don't always DESIRE to be online.

Ma'idah lacking her podcat excitement, but well done regardless. I really don't want to buy a console, but KH3 might be the tipping point.

Nice job filling in. Seemed a little nervous, but hey, good enough.

I'm sold on the PS4 at this point. I'm trying to imagine what Microsoft could do to win me back, but really it'll have to be a lot. Like free AAA games. Or a control made of gold.
Sony really just took Microsoft to town with this press conference. You can tell their sharing video took like 1 min to shoot and they probably made it in the green room waiting for the event to start. Very funny.

Always have to have PS+?
Always have to be getting free games and content left and right like it's the apocalypse on steam? I can dig it.
Good job, Sony, you're convincing us to purchase a product that, until now, we never realized was awesome.

This is all weird.

Microsoft has to know what a shitty move they made and Sony is putting them in an even worse spotlight, although they're using Microsoft as a cover for implementing a paid subscription model, which honestly is not that big a deal if you're like me and don't have the need or intention to use the online features.

The place where it gets weird, is that they could've worked together to pretty much force these horrible DRM restrictions on everyone and forced people to get used to it. I have no doubt in my mind that Sony will protect their Playstation from any possible hacks or jailbreaking and that they'll fight fiercely against anyone who even remotely succeeds.

And then there's the worrying part...
With Sony, we're seeing an ever so slight loss of control of our products with the subscription. It's not bad, it might even be a very positive experience with the bonus games and content. I'll admit, it's a stretch and I might just be paranoid, but I remember when there was a significant dissatisfaction with Xbox Live and that you had to pay just to play multiplayer. Now we're pretty much loving it.
I'm still not happy with it, especially since there are so few local games on the Xbox and Playstation(Nintendo with their Wii's have thankfully concentrated on local multiplayer, at least more than the others). As much as I enjoy playing console games alone, I enjoy them far more when I play with others, sitting next to me.

I'm not crying doom, because this has turned out far better than I'd ever imagine. I was almost sure that Sony would either put the same restrictions or would do something equally and breathtakingly stupid.

I fear that there will be enough people who support the Xbone and enough families who will buy into the "television experience" that it offers, setting a precedent for such a restricting product.
If it sells well enough, Sony will have an excuse for the next generation to make something similar.

Whether that fear is warranted or not, we'll see.
All I know is that shit like SOPA/PIPA and current similar legislations are still a threat and that USA is currently implementing one that will impact South America and Pacific islands, threatening free information and making stricter copyright.
You can't afford not to pay attention to these things and the same goes for media, gaming and consoles. If companies and governments get the impression that they can enforce policies and poor customer treatment on people, they will do so. As long as people just blindly agree to anything, which they have been more prone to do so the last fifteen years.

Take it for what it is, I know I'm being overly pessimistic. I can't help it when I hear good news like this.

It was like the classic Batman TV show, wham! kapow! sony socked it to 360 hard... its sad that I feel the twinge of people needing to buy ps3 to say no to online and digital rights issues in gaming. But I am undecided beyond this is definately a polarising moment in gaming.

If sony win this console age then yay preowned lives on and digital locking of console games is resisted. If xbox wins... EA and every wild eyed money grabing corp is going to lock down games to online 100% of the time and account locked games(I love steam so this in a small way isn't bad, I also rarely trade in).

People may not like it but this is a very sad and troubling time in many ways, I'm a sony fan(owned all 1,2 and 3 over the years) never bought an xbox(played a little on flatmates 360) but feel pretty neutral about this, we'll see how this unfolds sony may have won this battle but the war has only just began.

I'm so relieved that Sony wont be implementing a "prove to us you're not a pirate" policy. Also, I had planned on buying a PS3 for their exclusives, but if I understand correctly, I'll be able to play those on the PS4.

BTW, that video on sharing games registered a 10 on my trollometer. The only way Sony could have trolled Microsoft more would have been to price the PS4 at $360.

Headdrivehardscrew:
Takeshi Kitano

I'm not as much of a Japanophile as some others could be, but I will say this: I always thought that the whole Chuck Norris meme thing is missing one crucial bit of info.

That is, the fact that Takeshi Kitano could probably kick Norris' ass in terms of sheer badassitude.

Headdrivehardscrew:
Aye, it looked well clear cut to me.

Microsoft:

Michael Ferrer as Bob Morton (Robocop), partying like it's 1989 before getting shot and blown to pieces.

(gets murdered not much after having this here 'good' time with hookers and blow)

-snip-

Is that really an appropriate analogy? Because Bob Morton, for all his hookers-and-blow parties, spearheaded the Robocop program. He pitched it after ED-209 straight-up murdered that exec, chose the late Alex Murphy, and made the decision to chop both his arms so that he gets two robot arms.

Saying Bob Morton's Microsoft is like saying the XBone is Robocop, which it is definitely not.

If anything, MS is more like Dick Jones: in bed with the wrong people, pitches a shitty product that can't even walk up a flight of stairs, and ends up getting shot out of an office window.

Wow, you are just adorable!

Meanwhile I'm a bit of a conspiracy theorist, so I always think that there is something else going on. I was waiting for some sort of kicker, some sort of scythe in the darkness...

...and I'm still waiting. If Microsoft is hiding a trump card they might want to play it soon. It'd have to be good, like... Remake of Ocarina of Time good. I'm told that the Xbone is appealing to a more upmarket class of people who want an integrated entertainment system, I have no doubt that there is probably a market around it, but in doing so they are alienating a lot of their players, players who have been loyal fanboys for years and are turning to Sony. What's more is that turning a chunk of their playerbase over to Sony will increase the profits Sony can make.

It's the only marketing strategy I'd heard so far that made sense, but even then it's one hell of a risk.

Well looks like Microsoft brought out Crystal Pepsi and Sony brought back Classic Coke with real sugar rather than corn syrup. So just by this it looks like Sony has a definite lead. However considering the prices of both consoles I'd be willing to be that just like last time neither company is making any money off the sale of the console itself, and in fact might be losing money. So this most likely means both are betting on game sales for their revenue. So both consoles could still tank if neither has a large enough selection of purchase worthy games.

First off, I like this Ma'idah lady. This may be extremely rude for me to say and I really do not mean any offense by this, but she's not the most beautiful thing out there - and that's part of why I find her charming. Everything about her screams "genuine" including her attitude and personality, and that's something I can really appreciate. Looking forwards to seeing her around more.

Next, Sony wrecked it. This was a no-holds-barred beatdown of colossal proportions that Microsoft just received. The PS+ requirement for online play is certainly very upsetting, but overall Sony ran away with this. Nintendo didn't do bad either, but Microsoft... there's no way they aren't freaking out right now.

Captcha: "grand slam"

Next Gen is washed out brown, gray, and green again too I see :(

Well, I do have to congratulate Sony. I think they may even have convinced me, and I'd already pretty much given up on this console generation.

Heck at this point if they found some way to work backwards compatibility with the PS3 in there it might even be a day one purchase for me, and I've only ever bought a console on day one once before and I've been gaming since the Atari days. (PS2, if you were curious which one.)

Funny, I always hoped that it would be Xbox that would string us along with the horrible ideas before throwing their hands up and laughing saying "You didn't believe that did you?" and we'd say "Oh Microsoft you had me fooled."
Looks like Sony is the one to do it.

See, this is how you introduce a subscription service properly: first you make it optional and give people a chance to try it out and discover how nutter butterly awesome it is, then you make it essential but only for multiplayer which a lot of people still won't be interested in. It will help Sony make some extra profit without the consumers feeling they've been shafted fifty quid for access to something they've been able to do on their PC's for about two decades.

I really like the PSN store as it is, (Sly Cooper trilogy and the Sands of Time trilogy on sale for 10, without a Plus subscription? Don't mind if I do,) and even though I don't ever play online multiplayer I'd still consider signing up for it on PS4 just for all the great deals and free games they give away.

If they'd said from the start, 'you need this if you want to do absolutely anything worthwhile with our console' I'd have told them to fuck off, but they gave me time to soak it in and weigh up the pros against the cons instead of pushing me off the boat into the Atlantic and barking at me to start swimming.

It's great to see Sony actually understanding how a healthy consumer relationship should work, but it's sad/insane that Microsoft still hasn't grasped it or, even worse, just doesn't seem to care.

Hey, if the only negatives were the console looks odd (kinda sleek, really) and PS+ is required for online, that's still a win. And is much better than:

Your friends have unlimited access to your games on your personal console.

Xdust5:
Funny, I always hoped that it would be Xbox that would string us along with the horrible ideas before throwing their hands up and laughing saying "You didn't believe that did you?" and we'd say "Oh Microsoft you had me fooled."
Looks like Sony is the one to do it.

That would almost be worse. If not worse. I would hope that would be every bit as negatively received.

well.. I think the DRMs are not the console maker's idea... I think it's the publisher's, I have no idea how sony can just say they've tossed the whole thing into the back of their head... but I think it's got something to do with the "multiplayer game needs PS+ membership" it's the new DRM... other than these two points... I'm sold to sony for the next gen console... no matter how cool/OP mega man looks, How BADASS Bayonetta2 (I'm going to cry over this game) makes me boner, how I felt cheated by KI being Xbone title... The choice is clear... PS4 is the console winner (at lease so far), it hasn't make any (REAL) dick move yet, and it's shown no shortage of awesomeness to players (please don't call us "gamers" any more... it sounds like "gambler"...).

Why are people making decisions now? I own all (previous) gen consoles and I didn't buy a single one till at least 3-6 months after release, what with things like OS patches, policy changes and oh yeah...an actual game library, I figure let those with more money than sense dive in first, plus whatever the professional critics/journalists have noticed along the way.

Console history has shown us that without a doubt; the look of the console, the hardware, the first wave of titles available, (hell even the goddamn price!) ultimately means nothing, it's a weird organic, (gamer) culture process that ultimately can't ever be predicted.

My point: Just wait! Sony is indeed coming off way better than MS, but if I could look a year into the future and see that *insert any gaming platform* is dominating I won't be surprised whatever the result, just happy that I held off and backed a winner.

Escapist News Now:
Playstation 4 Revealed & Sony Burns Microsoft

We finally get to see what the PS4 looks like and Sony takes some jabs at Microsoft over used games.

Watch Video

Great job Ma'idah. I got all the E3 info I wanted (for now) from here. Cheers.

Fangface74:
Why are people making decisions now? I own all (previous) gen consoles and I didn't buy a single one till at least 3-6 months after release, what with things like OS patches, policy changes and oh yeah...an actual game library, I figure let those with more money than sense dive in first, plus whatever the professional critics/journalists have noticed along the way.

Console history has shown us that without a doubt; the look of the console, the hardware, the first wave of titles available, (hell even the goddamn price!) ultimately means nothing, it's a weird organic, (gamer) culture process that ultimately can't ever be predicted.

My point: Just wait! Sony is indeed coming off way better than MS, but if I could look a year into the future and see that *insert any gaming platform* is dominating I won't be surprised whatever the result, just happy that I held off and backed a winner.

I too always wait. The games lure me over, not much else. As long as I don't get f***ed by new dodgy policies, as xbox is pushing, I'll jump in, but later.

I can totally live with the + Subscription for Multiplayer, esp as + gives you so much more. I think M$ just got shitcanned and i couldnt be happier about it!

I like her. She's cool.

... That is all.

I already pay for xbox live

Paying for P+ doesn't really jar with me as a 360 owner who is probably going to be jumping ship to PS4

Requiring an account to online play is no loss for me, my internet isn't good enough for multiplayer.

I am officially moving from a *non-commited grunt* to an *intrigued hmm*.

This new news satisfies me, but in order to move to a *yes footing*, there will need to be at least 5 games I want in order to justify it. The revealed lineup fails to meet this vital criteria, thus far.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here