95: Mid-Level Exceptions

"I found some interesting similarities between all these games. They are, by genre and platform, very different games. The traits most commonly assigned to videogames - genre, platform, marketing clout - vary widely within the list, so clearly the answer cannot be found within conventional boundaries. God of War was a very recent console-based big-budget, high-tech, hyper-violent, heavily-marketed hit. Championship Manager is a strategic soccer simulation series in which the player acts as club manager. There's virtually nothing in the way of graphics or sound, and the games are not well-known in the U.S. - quite the opposite of God of War.
"So what, then, is the commonality making these games similarly great? These games are all missing a chunk of the story!"
Rowan Kaiser examines the concept of missing middle narrative, and why sometimes designing a game with less makes for a more compelling experience.

Mid-Level Exceptions

Loved the article--captured exactly what's a big part of what makes _Civilization_ and some soccer management simulation game I used to have back in '99 so replayable: seeing how things unfold from the early game to the mid-game, and then how the rest of the game is 'channeled' by the way things unfolded. Other games this reminded me of are _Master of Orion_ (every game the ships were different), the _Railroad Tycoon_ series (every game the rail net/industry distribution is different), and the _Europa Universalis_ series (every game each county winds up with different provinces by the end/the composition of the armies is different).

In fact, to take it back to board games, reminded me of what I loved about the old Avalon Hill 'monster' games like _Empires In Arms_ and _Siege of Jerusalem_. Also brings to mind an old GDW title, _Bloodtree Rebellion_. Really wish those would just be ported over to the computer by Hasbro for Avalon Hill, and whoever owns the rights to the other developers' titles.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here