I Enjoy Playing a Girl

I Enjoy Playing a Girl

"As I psychoanalyze myself, I'd have to say my first reason for switching gender isn't to become a woman, but to not be myself. I want to take a break from myself - and playing a girl puts me in far more neutral territory." Chris Dahlen explains why he prefers female avatars.

Good article, until this point I never really wondered why I always chose to play a Female in games. I admit that I never act like a girl and I've never wondered if any of the other female players are guys in disguise but still a very interesting read.

Personally, I have the arbitrary notion of when I play a girl, I am just enjoying the view and/or possibly writing an awesome story for her to kick ass in. When I Rp, I play a male or something nongendered. Then again, I don't rp to escape myself, I rp to escape my personal limitations. In a video game, I can do all the leader/mentor/badass nonsense that I don't get to do in real life. Then again, I don't seem to share the author's confusion about what his character choices make him. I simply know what I am when I play a game.

That bit of whinyness/bravado said, I don't really have a stake in what other people play but I always find learning about other people's motivations interesting. Twas a good read, even if it gave me a twitch.

I like playing a girl in MMORPGs as well. I like the idea of being cute and feminine. I'm not gay or even bisexual. I don't get some sort of sexual thrill out of playing a girl. Just the cute and feminine part.

I think this is why most male players play as girls, but they won't admit it.

I always play female characters whenever given the option. Many of us males who are secure in our sexuality aren't influenced by ambient social pressures to constantly exercise our machismo all hours of the day. We appreciate art and aren't afraid to recognize something as beautiful. As far as aesthetics are concerned, there are few things more dazzling and engaging than a pretty lady who can kick some ass. Its an iconic representation of many things at once; a strong mother, an sexual catalyst, an exacter of justice and vengeance who has the capacity for tenderness. Look at Ripley from Aliens, the Bride in Kill Bill, Buffy the freakin' vampire Slayer, Joan of Arc... its a special marriage of form and function that men simply can't pull off.

LOOL I thought this thread was going to be about a playa's story of playing a girl

People in WoW treat female characters better in my opinion. It's the whole damsel in distress gig. Guy won't do most of the annoying stuff that typically piss people off to girls like camp and steal mobs, because as "gentlemen" we typically don't do that. Also people are more responsive to questions in the trade or general chats if you have a feminine sounding name. I'm guilty of it, and so are you probably lol

PaulyWalnuts:
People in WoW treat female characters better in my opinion. It's the whole damsel in distress gig. Guy won't do most of the annoying stuff that typically piss people off to girls like camp and steal mobs, because as "gentlemen" we typically don't do that. Also people are more responsive to questions in the trade or general chats if you have a feminine sounding name. I'm guilty of it, and so are you probably lol

Quite the opposite to what I've encountered on other MMO's- I remember on City of Heroes. Had a female tank and was dealing with a mob fairly easily...until someone else rushes over and kills them all, then stands there looking at me.
What was particulary annoying was that there was a healer (Male, obviously), on the other side of the street getting completely overwhelmed- but no, had to save the character who is DESIGNED to kill multiple opponents.

i totally misread the title.

but yeah i guess that's a good point.
males work good with me aswell though.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook