OMG Girlz Don't Exist on teh Intarweb!!!!1

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Haha it's one of the Internets rules.

I purposely pick a girl to fight with, so when the men say, "Awww, you picked a girl, you're going to lose. Why did you do that?"
I reply, "Because I wanted a Japanese school girl in her uniform to kick your arse."
Then I proceed to 'pwn' them. It never gets old.

This is from 2005. Let it die!

Nimbus:

Or how about you just quit reading it. They aren't going to take away your badges for failing to read every single thread, and if you experience deep psychological pain from seeing a thread you don't like appear in the on the forum, maybe you shouldn't be on the internet. If I can blithely scroll past what amounts to a Mysterious Female Psychology meme that rolls around once every two months, you can suck it up.

One of the reasons these article-related threads resurrect from time to time is that the Escapist will post links to old articles next to current articles. Necro-articles generate necro-threads. If you have a problem with that, you should take it up with the management instead of pissing your discontent into the board, which I should point out, only serves to extend the thread that you find so unbearable. Your multi-fail in the realm of common sense is no one's problem but your own.

mshcherbatskaya:

Nimbus:

Or how about you just quit reading it. They aren't going to take away your badges for failing to read every single thread, and if you experience deep psychological pain from seeing a thread you don't like appear in the on the forum, maybe you shouldn't be on the internet. If I can blithely scroll past what amounts to a Mysterious Female Psychology meme that rolls around once every two months, you can suck it up.

One of the reasons these article-related threads resurrect from time to time is that the Escapist will post links to old articles next to current articles. Necro-articles generate necro-threads. If you have a problem with that, you should take it up with the management instead of pissing your discontent into the board, which I should point out, only serves to extend the thread that you find so unbearable. Your multi-fail in the realm of common sense is no one's problem but your own.

I was going to post something along those lines, except that you just did ten times the job I could have done. Also, Yay! Mscher is back!

Obviously I wasn't clear in my meaning.

Clear enough?

Also, don't reply to this post. PM me if nessasary.

Great artical

This really doesn't supprise me though. I had a few friends round playing xbox the other day, 1 dude, 1 dudette. We took it in turns to play CoD with one person on mic and once person with the controls. It was nickys turn to be on my. Apparently (I didn't hear the other end of conversation) it went like this.

Nicky: Hello
*Silence*
Xbox Moron:Are you a girl?
Nicky:*laughs* yer im a girl
*More silence*
Xbox Moron: Seriously?
Nicky: Yer
Xbox Moron: No your not

Obviously she can't be. Like you said, Girls do not exist on the interweb.

I'm not entirely sure I can call myself a girl "gamer" .. but I'm further down the metaphorical line from "casual gamer" (No Wii, but I would consider it for Brawl) but I'm not ... well, I'm not a hardcore gamer.

Tried the sims once, killed my laptop and my sims were "pants on head retarded". Guitar hero and I are not on speaking terms and .. well, I guess I kind of stay to JRPGs and fighter games like Tekken. I've given FPS' a try and yea verily, I suck at them, though I've gotten pretty good at dealing with first person perspective through the Mirror's Edge demo. Granted, I'm playing my DS a little more than my PS3 due to school taking up what I've got for free time, but still.

Oh, internet. Your world never ceases to baffle and astonish me. XD

to be honest, im getting kinda tired of the whole "yeah im a girl on the internet and thats somehow special" mantra, nowadays its totally and completely irrelevant and outdated.

and seriously, just cause you're of the X chromosome doesn't make you into a PvP champion that can own everyone and everything. No one cares if you're a girl or a boy, gender doesn't make you're new pvp achievement something more (or less) special.

this might come off as a rant, but when i see these kind of articles i cant help myself to not become (a little bit) pissed.

Bling Cat:

mshcherbatskaya:

Nimbus:

I was going to post something along those lines, except that you just did ten times the job I could have done. Also, Yay! Mscher is back!

Interesting, isn't it, how he extends the post yet again, this time with a lovely diagram to support an inherently self-contradictory behavior on his part. I love the purely rhetorical threat of violence. Do you think he will PM me a picture of knife?

As far as girls gaming online, I'm teaching one of my friends to play and I've got another one that wants to learn. We aren't really girls, though, we are old enough to be their moms, and I do mean that quite literally, one of us is approaching grandma status. If girls shock them, I look forward to seeing the reaction an incredibly cheery old lady gets. One of them has already threatened pwnage to one of our co-worker, who is apparently a holy terror on XBL. I can't tell if he is condescendingly amused, intrigued, or...proud of us, but all of a sudden he's talking to use of his own free will, and as a rule, he either ignores or bullies all the women in the office.

People who say girls aren't on the internt have obviously never heard of TokyoPop and MySpace. XD

Hyper-space:
seriously, just cause you're of the X chromosome doesn't make you into a PvP champion

But everyone is of the X chromosome! Just not 2. Seriously though, I understand your point. However, I don't think this article was as much an "I'm a girl, I'm on the internet, worship me" comment (I'm not denying such things do exist, because they do), it seems to me to be more of a "I'm a girl, I'm on the internet, stop saying I'm not."

Liverandbacon:

Hyper-space:
seriously, just cause you're of the X chromosome doesn't make you into a PvP champion

But everyone is of the X chromosome! Just not 2. Seriously though, I understand your point. However, I don't think this article was as much an "I'm a girl, I'm on the internet, worship me" comment (I'm not denying such things do exist, because they do), it seems to me to be more of a "I'm a girl, I'm on the internet, stop saying I'm not."

Exactly. The thing is, the girls did not start this. The people who are actually making the big stink about the existence or non-existence of girls online are the guys, either that they don't exist, they do exist but the suck, or they occasionally exist and omg pix pls! And by this I'm referring to online behavior, the kind of environment being described in this article. And you know what, if guys are going to create that kind of environment online, then girls are going to react to it, and they are going to react to it with articles like this, or by talking about how they get some fun out of the situation, a situation they do not create.

If this shit really bugs you, then the next time you hear some hooting dickhole being an asshat or whooping mating calls at a female online, tell him to shut the fuck up. You what people to stop writing articles like this? Then stop giving them something to write about.

I think this thread is one that needs regular returns to the top, so the influx of new users can read it and learn. Of course, most new users don't pay attention to any content besides ZP, so it might be a lost cause, but it's still a useful and important article.

There are a couple of good threads and articles that should not die, but anyway every time a new ZP comes...

hmm.... I actually have witnesses most of the stuff Ms. Telios has seen around the interwebz.

It saddens me slightly...to see men cannot be mature when talking to someone online who coincidentally happens to be of a different gender to them..

*Goes to Themis site to see what all the staff look like*... Better get that out of the way before I hand deliver a parcel of win..

Ive behaved in a mature way when it comes to chat with females, in games and all that, i remember telling part of the warcraft storyline to a mother that used to play the game from time to time, that i met looking for spanish speaking people.

mshcherbatskaya:

Liverandbacon:

Hyper-space:

Exactly. The thing is, the girls did not start this. The people who are actually making the big stink about the existence or non-existence of girls online are the guys, either that they don't exist, they do exist but the suck, or they occasionally exist and omg pix pls! And by this I'm referring to online behavior, the kind of environment being described in this article. And you know what, if guys are going to create that kind of environment online, then girls are going to react to it, and they are going to react to it with articles like this, or by talking about how they get some fun out of the situation, a situation they do not create.

If this shit really bugs you, then the next time you hear some hooting dickhole being an asshat or whooping mating calls at a female online, tell him to shut the fuck up. You what people to stop writing articles like this? Then stop giving them something to write about.

Well generally I do, especially because it disrupts the game when people aren't concentrating on the game, but the gender of a player.

<rant> I'm thinking: I came on the server to play the damn game, I assume she did, and in theory the people obsessing over her posession or lack of 2 X chromosomes did as well. A server where people are too busy typing "pix plz" and shit like that to actually be playing the game annoys me to no end. When I get owned by someone, I don't care what gender they are, I just try to own them back ;).</rant>

Even when it doesn't disrupt the game for me, it's still a pain, because it definitely disrupts the game for the girl involved. I've lost count of the number of girls I've seen leave servers because of the immature behaviour of others on the server.

"Exactly. The thing is, the girls did not start this. The people who are actually making the big stink about the existence or non-existence of girls online are the guys, either that they don't exist, they do exist but the suck, or they occasionally exist and omg pix pls! And by this I'm referring to online behavior, the kind of environment being described in this article. And you know what, if guys are going to create that kind of environment online, then girls are going to react to it, and they are going to react to it with articles like this, or by talking about how they get some fun out of the situation, a situation they do not create.

If this shit really bugs you, then the next time you hear some hooting dickhole being an asshat or whooping mating calls at a female online, tell him to shut the fuck up. You what people to stop writing articles like this? Then stop giving them something to write about"

well, you should start by being more understanding, what i posted was that the old mantra about that all guys don't believe that there are girls on the internet is becoming less relevant.

also, take a chill pill
you don't have to fly off the handle when someone states their opinion.

From the article, the guys are just claiming you are not a girl for two reasons.

1) To bait you into sending pictures.
2) As a preemptive statement so that despite whatever social relationship they establish with you, that they can always say "I knew it" if you indeed turn out to be a man. By preemptively stating you are a man before you announce it, they can psychologically reclaim their hetrosexual dignity while not feeling as gay.

If a friend said, "I have a million dollars want some?" most people would say, "No you don't." But then proceed to mention what they would buy. When the friend says, "I really don't have a million dollars." Most people would reply, "I knew you didn't, you asshole."

It's just about lowering expectations... of what? Who knows. And that's the creepiest part. When playing online with women I have never asked for pictures or even had a concern about their gender. So it makes me wonder what expectations these men have if you are ideed a woman?

Easykill:
Wow, this thread just won't stay down. It's a good article though.

It really won't. It does go to show however, that things have changed, if not drastically. I remember I certainly believed the "Girls don't exist on teh interwebz" mantra when I first started playing WoW, but it was dispelled pretty quickly when I grouped with 2 of them for Shadowfang Keep. They weren't pestered for pics, they didn't receive or ask for special treatment and nobody tried to flirt with them. Similar scenarios were repeated numerous times in the year and a bit that I played for.

Of course there are still gender related issues in game, but my more immediate concern is couples talking about their relationships in party or even Trade Chat. Yes Trade. No one wants to hear you discuss what your making for dinner, who should get it out of the oven or should check on the baby. If you are in the same house then bloody talk to each other, if you really need to whisper but for Zeus sake don't go parading it around public channels, no one wants to know.

And it interrupts the Chuck Norris jokes.

In light of the threads on girl characters in game. I thought I'd dig this up. I'm considering getting into the whole online gaming thing but this kind of tale puts me off somewhat.
Maybe it would be more satisfying to know that their view of girl gamers is being somewhat altered with their virtual brain matter decorating the wall.

galletea:
In light of the threads on girl characters in game. I thought I'd dig this up. I'm considering getting into the whole online gaming thing but this kind of tale puts me off somewhat.
Maybe it would be more satisfying to know that their view of girl gamers is being somewhat altered with their virtual brain matter decorating the wall.

I dunno I always find it great to have a girl in the match, especially on gears.

Girls need to just talk more so people get used to it. I can see there are problems that girls have with talking but the only way to stop it is by actually talking. There's probably a lot more girls on the internet then we think but we don't know because they keep quiet about it.

Neosage:

I dunno I always find it great to have a girl in the match, especially on gears.

Why's that? Is it the novelty? Or the lack of screaming abuse I've heard tell of.

I was linked this last night, ironically enough, right after I had been playing some l4d, and some guys were being assholes because I'm a girl. Let's start off by saying that I have 166 hours of l4d logged in the past two weeks, and 44 of the 51 achievements...and then let's look at this senario:

i join when we're on the infected side, this happens
guy 1 types (after hearing my voice): guys, we have a noobfag in the server
me types: are you talking about me? because um, I'm a girl...
guy 1: yeah, i was. and either you're a 12 year old boy, or you're probably really ugly
guy 2: no need for the probably

we then go to next level as survivors, and i'm like "let's look over there for the good weapons" since i know where all the spawn points are. guy 1 and 2 both say "fuck you, we're going for speed!" and so my friend who's the other player on the team goes "i'll go with you annie" we go, they were there. we fetch us some weapons, then the guys start treating me as if i've never played before, and have an IQ of 60...trying to tell me how to melee. a tank appears, and i get smokered while my friend gets incapped by the tank. guy 1 and 2 run around like chickens with their heads cut off, not helping us, and are incapped faster than you can say "fucking assholes"

to be honest, if they're feeling bad because a girl is better than them, they should PLAY MORE. if they're embarassed because they totally wish they had a girl like me, they should get over it, but they shouldn't be douchebags to the girls on there. there's nothing wrong with having a girl on the server, or one pwning you. also, just about any smart girl isn't going to be putting their pic up on the internet for you guys to see....so even if you say "pics or it didn't happen" you're probably not going to see what this girl looks like. also, most of the gamer girls i know aren't ugly at all, they're stunning, and I'D date them, so stop calling us ugly just because we're girls in a game. it's rude, and makes us hate gamer guys, which is unfortunate, because, well, gamer guys are a good fit for gamer girls....

No one's got a right demanding photos of you over the internet whether they're a bunch of gamer nerds or some other random person. Asking for someone's photo is creepy and anyone who asks should just be told to piss off.

If people think girls don't play video games just go to EB Games. Everytime I go in there half the people working there are girls/women. They wouldn't hire them if they didn't know what they were talking about. Knowing something about the product your selling is usually a pre-requisite of working in a store.

That was hilarious, mainly becasue it is so true. Yesterday I was playing left 4 dead (PC) with my friend and this girl started talking in game. We were on vent listening to the ingame chatter and I said to him "Holy shit, was that a girl that just talked!?" He replied "Nah, it can't be, must of been some little kid or something" We talked about this for a few minutes until she spoke again and we were sure; eventually interest was lost in that topic, but it is baffling how women playing games is still shocking. I wasn't to surprised when playing WoW and there were loads of women in pugs and my guild. Sadly they were all terrible which perpetuated the stereotype that women suck at video games. I actually never met a woman in WoW who was able to stay in my server top guild without being kicked for fucking up to much and wiping us. Neither were any women in pugs I ran or pvp groups any good, I'm sure they're out there but I rarely if ever come across elite gaming girls, seems the top gaming population consists of fat white kids and skinny Chinese guys.

There are no gurlz, show pix nao

sry, couldnt resist

I totally feel for all of the female gamers out there. I play with a few girls on CoD 4 and they are absolutely delightful...especially when they give the other guys a good working over.

The downside is that they are subjected to some of the most crude and awful abuse that I've heard. Fortunately, they are all pretty tough and can dish it out in return, but there's just no excuse for it in the first place!

wierd. strange how people can't seem to grasp that WOMEN PLAY GAMES!!! although i myself am a man i still can't fathom people acting like this.

mokes310:
I totally feel for all of the female gamers out there. I play with a few girls on CoD 4 and they are absolutely delightful...especially when they give the other guys a good working over.

The downside is that they are subjected to some of the most crude and awful abuse that I've heard. Fortunately, they are all pretty tough and can dish it out in return, but there's just no excuse for it in the first place!

why do people do that, just seems mean to me, i mean christ do gamers really constantly need something to hate?

Cool article. Girls do exist on the internet therefore i win ^^

jt2002tj:
even though the scene may be changing the in last few years, i'd still be surprised to hear a girl playing Halo on Live. i guess it sort of comes from the fact that i've never seen a girl play Halo in real life. granted the largest community i've gamed with were on college campuses, small ones at that, but after not seeing 1 out of a pop of 5000? i feel i have some right to be surprised.

i think it'd be great to know some girl gamers though; the ladies are just better team players sometimes.

I play Halo on Live :-S

How very sad that girls are still faced with this prejudice. I've been lucky, as I have only so far added people on Xbox Live that I know in real life and they all know I'm a good gamer (all guys), so I've not faced this problem.

This is actually partly the reason why I don't really want to add new people online or play games with strangers, because I simply cannot be bothered with the "OMG, you're a girl" thing. Got better things to do with my time, like go kill some Brotherhood!

lrn2 internet traditions.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or