OMG Girlz Don't Exist on teh Intarweb!!!!1

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

To me, everyone on teh interwebz is gender nuetral.

purplegothchick:
How very sad that girls are still faced with this prejudice. I've been lucky, as I have only so far added people on Xbox Live that I know in real life and they all know I'm a good gamer (all guys), so I've not faced this problem.

This is actually partly the reason why I don't really want to add new people online or play games with strangers, because I simply cannot be bothered with the "OMG, you're a girl" thing. Got better things to do with my time, like go kill some Brotherhood!

Well...this isn't the worst thread necromancy...at least it's not three years old like that other one.

EDIT:

Hunde Des Krieg:
To me, everyone on teh interwebz is gender nuetral.

Not for me! What's the point of having a girl on the internet if you can't treat them like a girl? (ps where is the kitchen in the internet i cannot find it)

This was a really funny article. How she was treated was just bizarre. The childishness, the in-community of rather strange males. Confused and disbelieving after not seeing a woman (no doubt after many long nights spent in the deepest caverns and desolate wastes of pvp). I keep away from mummorpogers due to the type of people you find there. It makes Whitney seem quite brave sticking with them when facing such identity problems (i.e. fear of not speaking, must stay silent and play the game, must stay silent...).

I guess im lucky that i have a gamin sister so it makes it seem less wierd that other girls play on the interweb

ok first off, very good article, it kept me intregued through the entire thing...

seccond of all i beleive that the reason everyone is shocked when you say you are a girl is the same reason that people are shocked when you say you are gay, or different in some other manour...

its because the internet, particularily gaming, is filled with a bunch of ignorant little boys or testosterone filled men who find any differences or advances of fe-males into their territory as a huge threat, and must bully said person out of the internet so that their testosterone pumping sanctuary can be safe from opinions other than the ones they agree in.

almost all people, though, when playing any game on the internet are shocked to hear a girl's voice, me included, but after about 2 secconds i get over it and talk to the person as normal, and assume that if they are there in the first place, they know what they are doing...

i have been kicked from lobbys or had people just stop paying attention to the game when i say im gay...

the fact of the matter is most people are terrified of change, anything that threatens our ideals is NOT ok by any standard...

people just need to accept things and move on... but society will never be that polite, in my lifetime at least.

Truth like this has never been spoken before.

Let us form a cult!

Hunde Des Krieg:
To me, everyone on teh interwebz is gender neutral.

I was introduced to gaming at an early age by a female relative, so I never really fall victim to the "OMG girlz! No way!" virus. I end up seeing other people online as either other people or sniper fodder.

MaxTheReaper:

Not for me! What's the point of having a girl on the internet if you can't treat them like a girl? (ps where is the kitchen in the internet i cannot find it)

Max, can you see that big bright ball in the sky? You can't miss it; it's huge. What? No, that's not the sun. That is the giant ball of flame you just called upon yourself.

haha. jk.

Edit: also the original article and OP are from 2005, so its quite the necromancy.(even if it is due to the Escapist rebuilding)

Heh I find this a really random idea. I met my Fiance online over an online game. An odd way to meet I know but I never doubted she was female. In fact I've met a bunch of people online of both genders through gaming, be it on a forum based RP or be it on an online game. I tend to find that in most if not all cases girls tend to hand me my ass when it comes to gaming prowess... I find it odd in many ways how online gaming such as FPSs and so-such are tailored towards guys still. I mean to be honest things like TF2 and so such should really employ some female avatars... but perhaps I'm wrong eh? Who knows...

very funny and sad at the same time
.. i'm glad that i'm not like those guys.

jboking:

MaxTheReaper:

Max, can you see that big bright ball in the sky? You can't miss it; it's huge. What? No, that's not the sun. That is the giant ball of flame you just called upon yourself.

haha. jk.

Edit: also the original article and OP are from 2005, so its quite the necromancy.(even if it is due to the Escapist rebuilding)

...I am...displeased with these events. Please call your large ball of fire away, now.

jboking:
the original article and OP are from 2005, so its quite the necromancy.(even if it is due to the Escapist rebuilding)

Even the first reply is two years after the article was posted. I think this one is dead and rotting, just like women's rights! Eh? Eh?

Nevermind. Bad joke.

I know loads of female gamers across a huge variety of games. I even know a few girls who play Left 4 Dead which is one game I wouldn't expect many girls to play but they do. It's just thousands of people play on game servers and you are more than likely to be teamed/facing a male gamer.

but give it a while I'm sure more girls will start playing on the internet and games as you have the Wii and stuff now

MaxTheReaper:

My fave though the last level sucks.
A few more.
Tell the wench to make me a sammich while youre at it.

Probably already posted, but I'm too lazy to look:

On the internet:
-> Men are Men,
-> Women are Men,
-> And Children are FBI.

Russ Pitts:
I just want to jump in on this thread real quick and point out that if we find anyone pretending to be a female just to get their rocks off, or using this forum as a cyber club or hookup joint, there will be ban hammer bloodshed. That is all.

/mod.

Landslide:
Dammit

Sorry dudes.. but I had to bring this back up surfing this thread...

JC175:

jboking:
the original article and OP are from 2005, so its quite the necromancy.(even if it is due to the Escapist rebuilding)

Even the first reply is two years after the article was posted. I think this one is dead and rotting, just like women's rights! Eh? Eh?

Nevermind. Bad joke.

You wanna hear a great joke?
Women's rights.
(One up'd.)

neuromasser:
Probably already posted, but I'm too lazy to look:

On the internet:
-> Men are Men,
-> Women are Men,
-> And Children are FBI.

Speaking of which, we'd like to have a little talk about those pictures on your hard drive...
Why don't you take a seat, right over there?

MaxTheReaper:

Women's rights.
(One up'd.)

How do you fix a woman's watch?
You don't, there's a CLOCK ON THE OVEN

I'm here all night, folks.

MaxTheReaper:
Speaking of which, we'd like to have a little talk about those pictures on your hard drive...

Who, me? What pictures? *Whistles*

ZOMG, soisoisoi ROFLCOPTERS, teh GURLS shoudl get OFF tah webs. lol, they are noobs.

ive been playing wow for 2 years and i know a bunch of girls on it, well i think Teleios was reffering to US servers, where i played in EU. even with my m8s who play in Us servers know a bunch of wow girls, u get used to it so what a girl playing games or mmog infact my younger sister pwns me in racing games.
i think ur stuck on a lame serves, change ur server.

ohs noes

JC175:

MaxTheReaper:

Women's rights.
(One up'd.)

I love you.

neuromasser:

MaxTheReaper:

Who, me? What pictures? *Whistles*

What are you trying to say?

Hmmm. Threadly necromantic shenanigans!

That having been said: all you need to know about anyone on the internet is this:

They can lie, just like in real life. Being on the Internet does not mean that their ability to bend the truth is diminished magically.

This point may have been made, but are you saying all the Twilight fans on the Net are guys then???

Geek@Heart:
This point may have been made, but are you saying all the Twilight fans on the Net are guys then???

This... it... it worries me...

Oh God, what have you done!?

Nimbus:

Geek@Heart:

This... it... it worries me...

Oh God, what have you done!?

Proved the tittle of this topic wrong . . .

Although I hope Max doesn't see this. We don't need an more Anti-Twilight bile clogging up the forums.

Good God, this is gotta be the mama of all necroed threads!

I knew this thread would make it to light again!

I am currently part of a close community. It is 99% male driven but there are a couple of girls in there, as it's not a gaming community girls tend to pass through. However, when new guys join and find out there are girls there. They are without a doubt, shocked that a girl is using the internet.
I personally never have had a problem with it nor been "shocked" or said "pix or gtfo" etc. But I'm pretty open minded.

However, I understand how some people can be like this in a more serious manner. As guys outnumber girls predominantly on the communities maybe 10-20 to 1, then when someone says "oh hai ima gurl" there's a natural amount of suspicion attached to it.
For example; We had a new person join our community and they introduced themselves as "Jen" and we welcomed them along and they blended in with us quite nicely. After a couple of months they became "one of us" so to speak.
Now I know some of you will think this is pathetic, but one of the people in our community entered a "long distance" relationship with Jen and we all congratulated them on it.
This went on for a couple of months until one of the other people of our community accidentally stumbled across a profile page on an internet music forum where they had introduced themselves as being male.

This person, now intrigued, did a little digging through the internet and found that the person we knew as "Jen" was in fact a guy named "John" (not his real name) who had been using a voice synthesizer and pictures of his sister to convince people he was a girl.

Not only did this have implications for us as a close community, as "Jen" had been lying to us for over 4 years, but to the poor guy who thought he'd entered a relationship with a girl, was now finding out it was a guy.

JC175:

MaxTheReaper:

Women's rights.
(One up'd.)

What's that glow in the distance? Oh, its an angry mob ;)

Doug:

There aren't enough of us to start an angry mob. Besides, they aren't worth it. We all know Max is attention seeking.

Doug:

JC175:

MaxTheReaper:

Women's rights.
(One up'd.)

Angry mob don't glow. Those are radiated angry mobs. RUN!

Geek@Heart:

Doug:

There aren't enough of us to start an angry mob. Besides, they aren't worth it. We all know Max is attention seeking.

cainx10a:

Doug:

JC175:

MaxTheReaper:

Women's rights.
(One up'd.)

Angry mob don't glow. Those are radiated angry mobs. RUN!

How about a mildly irrated radiated mob?

EDIT: Double Post mistake.

This thread has had more lives than an undead cat.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here