OMG Girlz Don't Exist on teh Intarweb!!!!1

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

smallharmlesskitten:

Russ Pitts:
I just want to jump in on this thread real quick and point out that if we find anyone pretending to be a female just to get their rocks off, or using this forum as a cyber club or hookup joint, there will be ban hammer bloodshed. That is all.

/mod.

Landslide:
Dammit

Sorry dudes.. but I had to bring this back up surfing this thread...

a/s/l?

smallharmlesskitten:

Russ Pitts:
I just want to jump in on this thread real quick and point out that if we find anyone pretending to be a female just to get their rocks off, or using this forum as a cyber club or hookup joint, there will be ban hammer bloodshed. That is all.

/mod.

Landslide:
Dammit

Sorry dudes.. but I had to bring this back up surfing this thread...

I think this is the underlying problem in the article. Some guys pretend to be girls to get special treatment. There are two problems there. One, we are giving women special treatment. Two, The guys who are pretending to be girls make the guys who play as guys weary of the girls who play as girls because they believe that the girl playing as the girl is actually a guy playing a girl in order to get free stuff, After all, it guys pretending to be girls happens a lot.

(I just reread that...that...thing, and I'm not sure it makes sense. Unfortunately, I can't think of another way to put it.)

Its a joke lol

Spinwhiz:
I knew this thread would make it to light again!

Teleios must be proud of her article for it to be revived some four years later.

jboking:
Teleios must be proud of her article for it to be revived some four years later.

Oh, she loves it. ;)

MaxTheReaper:

jboking:

MaxTheReaper:

Not for me! What's the point of having a girl on the internet if you can't treat them like a girl? (ps where is the kitchen in the internet i cannot find it)

Max, can you see that big bright ball in the sky? You can't miss it; it's huge. What? No, that's not the sun. That is the giant ball of flame you just called upon yourself.

haha. jk.

Edit: also the original article and OP are from 2005, so its quite the necromancy.(even if it is due to the Escapist rebuilding)

...I am...displeased with these events. Please call your large ball of fire away, now.

Oh, I don't control that large ball of fire. That ball represents the pure fury of the female Escapists. As soon as the goddesses of this forum read your jokes, the 'holier than thou' fire will rain down upon your head and all will be lost.

But hey, at least the jokes were funny, right?......right....

(for safety purposes, this is all meant in good humor)

I'M A GIRL ON THE INTERNET! REALLY!

I don't often have people doubt that I'm a girl so much as ask for my Myspace or something.

Seriously women have to stop bitching about this.

Nobody cares and if they do they have the mental capacity of a peanut, argue with then then your attention whoring.

My guild leader is a nurse...woman...in Africa...i don't care!

I have an effeminate voice so sometimes I get the opposite problem - especially as I usually use my KeiraZodiac name on others things - I've taken to growing a goatee to prove that I'm a bloke on web-cam,

..or I organize a place to meet for a date and laugh as people travel to Edinburgh when I live in England, tee-hee

jboking:

MaxTheReaper:

jboking:

MaxTheReaper:

Not for me! What's the point of having a girl on the internet if you can't treat them like a girl? (ps where is the kitchen in the internet i cannot find it)

Max, can you see that big bright ball in the sky? You can't miss it; it's huge. What? No, that's not the sun. That is the giant ball of flame you just called upon yourself.

haha. jk.

Edit: also the original article and OP are from 2005, so its quite the necromancy.(even if it is due to the Escapist rebuilding)

...I am...displeased with these events. Please call your large ball of fire away, now.

Oh, I don't control that large ball of fire. That ball represents the pure fury of the female Escapists. As soon as the goddesses of this forum read your jokes, the 'holier than thou' fire will rain down upon your head and all will be lost.

But hey, at least the jokes were funny, right?......right....

(for safety purposes, this is all meant in good humor)

Nah, I made a "get in the kitchen" joke at SecretTacoNinja and she was fine with it.
So I am saf--*gurgling noises stemming from extended throttling*

Virgil:

jboking:

Oh, she loves it. ;)

he*
There are no girls on the internet!

No, but seriously, I don't really recognize that particular phenomenon. People I've seen usually accept the fact that the women are women. A phenomenon that I have seen plenty of times, and seriously find really annoying, is the "PIX PLZ"-thing, coupled with "OH LOOK A GIRL, LET'S ALL FAWN OVER HER AND MAKE HER PRESIDENT OF THE UNIVERSE!!!" in hopes of getting an internet relationship, or seeming 'chivalrous'. Seriously, the person's likely to live in an entirely different country than you, even a different continent. And even if they'd happen to share your nationality, the likelihood that she's looking for an online relationship - especially one with YOU - is very, very small. You shouldn't even think of her as a "girl gamer", skip the first word of that expression and you're dead on. Genitals don't matter online.

Edit: As for the thread necromancy... I don't see the harm in it, as long as people continue to have constructive things to say about the topic?

Jenny Decimal:

I'm a manager in a games shop, and I'm so sick of having customers ask me to ask one of the guys a question - on the assumption that I myself couldn't - that I'm starting to get kinda resigned to it.

Well take a look at the Escapist, regardless of gender you start off as a "Paperboy", a small othersight on the part of Virgil.

Yeah lets blame him, or her.

Wow, I totally understand you. Why does everyone react so hard when you tell them your a girl (not a guy). They think you want some of their money. We aren't gold diggers what the hell? They always say things like "Seriously, you're a girl?" and "Show me you're pic" I'm like "Hell no" and they say "Ur just fat and ugly" or "You're lying." "You're a guy." my ass just because it's so hard to face the truth. What's wrong with them.. GIRLS EXIST IN THE REAL WORLD SO ITS POSSIBLE. Someone needs to slap them and tell them it's true. I hate saying I'm a guy because it isn't true.

Wow. Thanks for showing me this. It feels like there are girls like me out there... =] To all the girls of world of warcraft.

Most of my freinds on the internet are girls, actually.

And of Deviantart, it might take a while to find a guy on it.

Yer, I don'r really come on the internet much, my PC is situated too far away from my kitchen. And who is going to do the housework otherwise?

Anyone want a pic cuz i is a girl?

Hey, hello old thread.

Since I posted before, a few things have changed.

I play COD4 online a lot now, and although you still get a lot of aggro from the split second your girly voice gives you away, it's improved a bit since the bad old days of Ye Olde Originalle Rainbow Six. You can still comfortably expect at least 1 jerk per game, you just hope those guys don't have headsets.

I also no longer work in a video game shop manager. I'm studying for a degree in computer science and game design. The course I'm on was quite proud to be able to say that this year had the highest ratio of female students ever. Um, nine. Nine students out of sixty five.

So uh, take that, Intarweb.

I had to make an account just to say oh em geee!
I didn't know I didn't exist! I knew something was wrong - because for some reason not having a picture of myself threw my whole gender identity out of whack. Now it all makes sense, because I can't be a girl on teh interwebs :) Or a good priest healer (I switched to druid heals, moocow girls get hit on less. No idea why, my undead is just about as attractive).

I also play halo - where I am also not a girl. I'm just a prepubescent boy who barely talks. Because girls don't exist in games.

*proceeds to send every girl gamer I know the link to your awesome article*

Very interesting and at times rather sad article. Speaks volumes of the mentality online. Personally i never take notice nor care of peoples sex while playing online. If anything playing with female competitors is more exciting to me. Might this all have to do with the average age of people playing online, i think pre-pubescent boys are more prone to generalizing or incredulous statements like "omg are you really a girl"? Well i for one wish there were a lot more female gamers, its sad that i almost have to add "openly female" gamers to that statement.

It's sad that people think there are no girls on the internet. One of my best online-friends is a girl and she's occasionally ahrassed like this.

I don't understand why people have a problem with girl gamers etc. on the web.

I do remember the first time I played a female character in World of Warcraft. I got to about level 5 then was asked to strip on webcam, randomly, because someone thought I was a girl. That put me off playing female characters ever again.

Edit: Now I remember my World of Warcraft days I think I got on better with female players than male for some reason. Apparently I was also the reason one didn't quit.

I've never seen the girl on voice chat problem. But then again half our raiding group were girls, including the Guild Master Mistress?

noooooo, i want to exist! XD

The girls i know usually are just chatting and doing social networking stuff.
At least in my experience there are fewer girls playing games.
Kinda sad really.

Another reason why the WoW community is shite. I don't think anyone in my SG on City of Heroes is surprised when one of the girls speaks up in vent, hell, the leader is a girl.

ant42onia:
I had to make an account just to say oh em geee!
I didn't know I didn't exist!

What? Did someone speak?
I'm joking.

I'm Mike and welcome to the Escapist, please ignore the body under the stairs and enjoy your stay. You'll find we believe girls do exist on the internet and have some proof.
*Points at Sky and others*

I'm surprised nobody has asked to see your pic yet. In all seriousness though, girls on the internet are like mature, sensible guys on the internet. They may be rare, but they do exist. Don't right us all off as cellar dwellers who don't know how to interact with females. I can understand the dilemma though, it must get pretty frustrating.

There is girls on the net i've played with them and they are very good at the games. The only reason guys dont believe girls exist on the internet is because they cant handle the fact that a girls has kicked their ass just like a lot of the douche's i meet who whine bitch moan and yell out every possible excuse as to why they just lost in a match

why have people lost the mmo edict. I've never had a problem with women playing mmos. the point of us playing is not to socialize and find some love interest. Its to create friendships over the fact that we are killing the same thing. Gender is irrelevant in games. women of the interweb dont let the men bog you down!

I played with a girl on Halo before.

There was a Rocket man coming for me, I said "H56, help."

She said, "Alright I'm on my way."

I said, "Thanks, almost lost my frenzy"

But everyone else kind of stopped playing. Soon after;

"Who was that?"

"Was that H56?"

"Why is he letting his girlfriend on the mic?"

"Radio, you don't actually believe that's a girl do you?"

I respond with, "Why not?"

The players then preceded to kill her and only her, even our own team.
Then t-bag her for an upwards of 5 minutes.

*shakes head*

My guild master, who happens to be a really good friend is a girl, and I have no problem with it. If anything her sweet sweet Australian accent helps.

Am I the only one who notices that this article was posted 3 years ago?

And it only took a new member for this to pop back up.

Girls exist on the internet, at least where I go anyway and nobody ever really cares about "omg Pix".
I've been in gaming clans that have been predominately male, mass recruited for a game and we've ended up with a whole lot of females.
Even getting to the point where we've wanted to remove lots of them, I've never really understood the "Tits or gtfo" mentality.

hey maybe the issue is still around. Jimmy Carter state that we need to curb our indulgences to solve the energy crises and that came up 20 years after his speech.

I thought we were past all this?

I find it hard to believe there are still dipshits who think gaming is only a guy thing and that girls don't know how to use a computer. I know several girls who play games and yes I will admit to having my ass kicked a couple of times by said girls online. It's pretty pathetic some losers can't get past the fact that the internet and games are for everyone, then again they are probably the same people who have appalling social skills, always get beat up in school and would say "Uh..I... uh.. gotta go" if they actually met a girl.

RadioactiveMicrobe:
I played with a girl on Halo before.

There was a Rocket man coming for me, I said "H56, help."

She said, "Alright I'm on my way."

I said, "Thanks, almost lost my frenzy"

But everyone else kind of stopped playing. Soon after;

"Who was that?"

"Was that H56?"

"Why is he letting his girlfriend on the mic?"

"Radio, you don't actually believe that's a girl do you?"

I respond with, "Why not?"

The players then preceded to kill her and only her, even our own team.
Then t-bag her for an upwards of 5 minutes.

*shakes head*

What in the... dear god.

Huh, old article, but still true. I second a lot of the stuff that people have been noticing when it comes to WoW. Most of my guild were absolutely dumbfounded when they found out that the MT in our rather middle-aged guild was -gasp- a fifteen-years-old girl. And proceeded in harassing her out of the guild. Yeah. So, I think I get this sentiment.

Hey guys, I just noticed a 3 year difference between article and first comment.
Firstly: Holy Necrothread, batman!

Secondly:Whitney must've felt pretty bad that no one seemed to notice for three years. We're sorry!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here