Games Aren't Art

Pages PREV 1 2

I dont really think censorship affects something's status as art. Renaissance art commissioned by the pope was censored, but that didn't make it not art. Games aren't art because they are games, and something play, not just look at. Still, the story of a game is no less art than the story of a novel, and the pixelated worlds the games take place in are no less art than paintings.

I quote Yahtzee "Ebert is neither wrong nor right. Art is subjective". If just one person considers something art then, to them, it is art.

Scrumpmonkey:
Yes games are not art because of the AMERICAN public? Faulty premise.

*ah-HEM* ... sorry, got some phlegm issues

and it's not like all the other world's devs are amazing, only a few game devs have gotten away with not making at least ONE bad game.

Pyroco101:

Scrumpmonkey:
Yes games are not art because of the AMERICAN public? Faulty premise.

*ah-HEM* ... sorry, got some phlegm issues

and it's not like all the other world's devs are amazing, only a few game devs have gotten away with not making at least ONE bad game.

That's not what i said. The fact is many US developers have a certain mindset, really the PG13 holywood mindset, and that risk aversion is bulit into their structure. The fact that art can continually 'push the bounderies' and in a self censoring system games cannot is a vaild pioint.

My point is that there is a LOT of developemt going on outside the US (both good and bad) that is more willing to exeperement and push the bounderies in a way that is more conducive to artistic freedom.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here