Zero Punctuation: Tomb Raider Anniversary

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Tomb Raider Anniversary

This week, The Escapist's Zero Punctuation reviews Tomb Raider: Anniversary.

Watch Video

Brilliant!!!! another fantastic review!!! keep it up!!

Tits!

These things really brighten up my Wednesdays which are normally shite and have no tits in them whatsoever.

Wow this is awsome. Its actual honesty in a game review without the blatant plugs for its own consoles. Keep it up.

Damnit, these make me cry manly tears of laughter. You manage to review these games with the tact of a cow and the comedy genius of the Two Ronnies and it's brilliant!

personally i like remakes, but too much is never a good thing.
Another brilliant review

Excellent! Usually I can't be bother to go through all that registration crap just to say I though a review was good, but your reviews are just so funny and so very true that I simply had to comment. Seriously awesome!

Anyone else have trouble with player, I'm missing out huge sections of the video while the sound continues.

Yahtzee, you charismatic stallion. GREAT FUCKING JOB!

tits

Someone lock Yahtzee in a hole and feed him video games so we can get 2 of these reviews a week. We need more Yahtzee!

tits

Yahtzee,

I have to say that while I've generally agreed with your previous reviews. I couldn't disagree with this one more.

I don't think you were playing the same TR I was playing, because I didn't see any bugs at all (and I test games for a living). In fact I thought that TR: Anniversary surpassed the quality of every previous game in the series. Lara wasn't hard to control, and the camera never bugged out on me either. I know what you mean about her always just missing ledges in previous titles, but I never once saw that happen in this one. In fact Lara almost always grabbed for the closest ledge even if she wasn't aligned with it correctly.

I was also playing the PC version, so maybe that's different (on PC you could hold down the fire button btw).

I also agree that remakes are generally a bad thing, however if you look at the original TR, it's pretty much unplayable these days, so it's a nice surprise to get to play one of my favorite games from my childhood with a fresh overhaul. I don't think I would mind a remake of Bionic Commando either (as long as Capcom did it right).

Frapple:
Anyone else have trouble with player, I'm missing out huge sections of the video while the sound continues.

I haven't yet seen this problem myself, but we're aware that it exists. We're working with the provider of our video software to correct the problem.

Would you mind sending us an email describing the problem, the specs of your PC and what browser you're using?

editor@escapistmag.com

I completely agree with FACT.50. The PC version controls very well, and considering you often bitch at bad console controls I'm surprised you picked up the game on PS2, especially when there's a nice version just waiting to be downloaded on steam.

Aside from that, considering most games these days pretty much just are remakes of older ones (Bioshock) I really don't mind it so much. At least they're honest about it.

Another excellent job! I too remember the "boob-cam" that seemed to zoom in every time you backed up to a ledge to creep along it. Or the "butt-cam" that zoomed in while swimming around obstacles. Then again that one was common to most 3rd person games (even ones with male characters), with the camera stuck up the avatar's rear while you tried to steer them.

Okay, normally I don't even bother with responding to game reviews, but I'd like to tell you that you got some of it right, and some of it wrong.

Yes, it is annoying that you have to press the R1 button over and over again to shoot. But really, if you're having fun, you don't even notice. There are a few camera issues, but the only place it's really a problem is in the very last section when you're having to jump around really, really quickly. If all of the directions were concrete instead of relative to the camera's position, this wouldn't be as big of a deal as long as you knew where you're going.

Which you will, because you'll have to retry things a few times to get it right.

I do think that the game was handled correctly. Yes, they tossed it to an American developer, but based on this as well as Tomb Raider Legend, this was the best move for Lara's sake. I feel like I'm still only one of five people to finish Angel of Darkness, and this was with working through the bugs.

The game is gorgeous! (Did you even mention that?) Also, the commentary you can unlock after finishing the game is seriously an awesome touch. The developers (and Toby Gard, who's responsible for Lara in the first place) talk about the changes they made to levels after people played them again. Turns out that we tend to remember things from 10 years ago differently. They also go over the changes that came about because of the technology they have.

I don't really agree with the falling to your death thing as much. Maybe it's just me, but some of the jumps you have to make just look too long to be real, so you've gotta try other approaches. Only thing is that these other approaches don't really work, and the long jump is the way to go. In almost all cases, Lara tends to grab onto things as though they were magnetic, even if you're a little bit off, she'll gravitate over.

I have a lot more I could say, but I don't have the time. I just think the overall tone of your review was negative, when in fact this is probably the best remake I've ever seen. I think that with your review style, you don't really have room to say other things, but if you'd left out all the tit remarks at the end, perhaps you could've kept us abreast of your overall thoughts, other than the overly-general "remakes are shit."

RookLive:
I completely agree with FACT.50. The PC version controls very well, and considering you often bitch at bad console controls I'm surprised you picked up the game on PS2, especially when there's a nice version just waiting to be downloaded on steam.

I figure it's because Yahtzee focuses more on console gaming than PC. *shrug*

More often than not he's pictured sitting in front of a TV with a controller instead of at a desk with a computer...

So I took his comment to mean that the console version had control issues. Which is a valid complaint. TR never had good handling on consoles. Sometimes the PC version had improvements, othertimes... not.

Frapple:

I get that too in Firefox, seems to do OK on my machine in IE6. One workaround I found before I discovered IE was OK is to put the mouse in an unused corner and make little circles. That seemed to force the video boxto update more often.

"I will not fear. Fear is the mind killer" LOL
I love your videos, Yahtzee! :D

mermaidkween:

Yes, it is annoying that you have to press the R1 button over and over again to shoot.

And actually weren't you supposed to enrage the animals so that you could kill them with one shot by using the shoot-dodge maneuver? I think that would have solved his button mashing problems.

I feel like I'm still only one of five people to finish Angel of Darkness, and this was with working through the bugs.

*Raises hand*... but in all fairness I was tasked with making sure that the game could be beaten before it shipped (I was working at Sony 3rd party QA at the time). All I have to say about that is "Damn you CORE! Damn you for making one of the shittiest, buggiest, most unplayable games ever!"... Oh and I told my lead that this game was NOT ready to be released to the general public, but did anyone listen to me? Of course not.

perhaps you could've kept us abreast of your overall thoughts, other than the overly-general "remakes are shit."

LOL... very smooth... nicely "pun".

As always! Love your videos!

Yahzee, you charismatic stallion! Another fantastic installment. ZP has become to highlight of my weekly browsing.

Now... if only the two massive system hogging flash ads on the screen didn't lag the player -_-

Very funny but, what about Tomb Raider Legend? =|

Brilliant, Yahzee. This is quickly becoming the highlight of my week.

Though I really wish you guys would use an older version of Flash so I could view it on a console. Or, hell, a 3GP stream for iPhones.

Frapple:

We've just updated the player, not more than an hour ago. Fullscreen should be working, and you can get code to embed the video through the player itself. Hopefully this will help with the performance problems too - if not, please let Russ know at editor@escapistmag.com

Doublecheck to see if you have the latest player showing first - it will have a 'Menu' button in the lower right. If not, you might have the old player cached. Refreshing a few times will usually grab the updated one.

Great as usual. And no problems with the player for me, all working fine! Good job!

<OFF TOPIC>

For those on Facebook, there's now a Zero Punctuation Appreciation Society:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6725770567

I'll try and remind you when a new episode is out, so you can head over here and watch it :-D

</OFF TOPIC>

Hello Yahtzee,

I'm also one of the people who registered here to say how cool your animated reviews are. I love them - my personal favourites being Psychonauts and The Darkness. However, I'm also one of the people who feel you are a bit off when it comes to what you have said about Tomb Raider: Anniversary. Sorry for handing out critique on my first post, but this animation somehow doesn't feel as deep as your previous ones. It's still full of venom, so no complaints there :).

First off, shame on you for not living up to your solemn vow ;).

Second, I have no idea why you'd say jumping is off. Compared to the original, doing jumps and the like is a complete walk in the park. Even if you're off a bit, you can still "rescue" Lara by tapping some button, which stays on for a generous amount of time, long enough to start tapping unless you're in some sort of coma. (personally, I'd actually want the old Tomb Raider system back because as it's now the game has become far too easy, if only for the cheap checkpoint system which is prone to abuse, much like the Vita Chambers in Bioshock)

The weapons fire tapping is annoying, but then again combat is so ridiculously easy and much of a forgotten feature in Tomb Raider: Anniversary (controlled Parkour before anything!) that it doesn't matter anyway.

Finally, you started out great with a little history on how Tomb Raider started, how Core was changed into Crystal Dynamics, but then you jump right past Legend into Anniversary. Which is a bit of a pity, because it would have been a nice transition to Anniversary, where you can already see the first signs of Crystal Dynamic's changes, which forego exploration and an interesting main character in favour of linearity and ease of play. Oh well, not a biggie.

For the rest, keep it up, your animations are something many appreciate and look forward to. Kudos!

For the love of all that is Ronnie James Dio's 'Holy Diver', please keep making these video reviews!!! I truly enjoy pissing and shitting myself over quality comedy!!!

WOOOOOOOOOO love it! Do Metroid Prime 3 Corruption next, I been waiting for someone to use it for such comedic gold :D Please.

You are my new favorite thing on the internet.

Amazing stuff once again. You've got quite a way with words, and the animations help, too.

Oh, and to everyone who keeps screaming "Review this! Review that!", please shut up. I'm willing to bet that Yahtzee's the one with a better idea of how to write reviews.

Yes, it seems a few people have jumped to the defense of Tomb Raider. I was calling it how I saw it. It seemed like the camera was always swinging around just as I was about to run-jump off something and then I'd be run-jumping in the wrong direction. And I did experience quite a few environment collision issues, like jumping towards a ledge but Lara failing to grab onto it, or seeing her do some weird spastic jig when standing on awkward terrain. Of course, I was playing the PS2 version, if that means anything.

Great review. I have to agree with most of Yahtzee's points, especially the camera issues. The problems may've existed in Legend, but they were much more tolerable because there was more than just the gameplay for entertainment in Legend. I was playing on the PC through GameTap, BTW.

Holy suppurating papercuts dipped in a spicy lemon extract!

I, too, felt the sudden urge to register and post this message.

Just leave Ben (I hope he doesn't mind me calling him by his real name :-P) alone. Zero Punctuation isn't meant to be T3H UB3R game review all you fanboys are taking it for... It's just Ben expressing his personal opinion about a game in a hellishly funny manner. I for my part notoriously dislike things that most people like and the other way round. If you want "objective" and "unbiased" (have I committed a pleonasm? =) reviews then look for them on, hmmm, about a gazillion other pages... (Gotcha! These things don't exist. ;-)

The only sad thing about the reviews is the fact that I have to wait a full week for another one - and I really DO mean that I wait every second for them to appear on the site... One week waiting for a couple of minutes of entertainment, oh cruel world. What should I do? I already read everything I could find on Yahtzee's site - maybe I should play his games now... Are they funny? Just asking. ^^

P.S. Seems I'm not the only one with a bad case of breast fixation. I've even been talking to my girlfriend's *puppies* - to her (but not *their*) dismay of course . ;-)

realy realy realy GOOD!!!!!! keep up the good work. (even after i watch it 15 time i sill laught.)

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here