117: Let's Get Together

Let's Get Together

"'I got into the game industry in 1989, after seven years as a software engineer in a Silicon Valley company that made CAD tools for the electronics industry,' Adams says. 'What I found rather shocked me. The game industry was positively backward in many respects. Proper software engineering techniques, such as technical documentation, revision control and maintainable code were sneered at as ivory-tower wastes of time. Nobody used e-mail.'"

Erin Hoffman speaks to the founders of the IGDA.

Read Full Article

Just a minor clarification -- the CGDA (later, IGDA) was never at any time owned by Miller Freeman/CMP Media. The owners of the old conference spun off the CGDA as a fully-independent nonprofit corporation before Miller Freeman purchased the conference. It was only some years later that the CGDA negotiated a deal with Miller Freeman to provide management services and an Executive Director.

Nobody actually cares, but one may as well be accurate about these things. :)

Thanks for the clarification, Ernest! The whole timeline issue with when MF was CMP was CGDC was CGDA was IGDA is fairly labyrinthine -- I didn't mean to imply that the CGDA was ever owned by MF/CMP, but can see how it would read that way. And thanks again for the interview. :) I probably think everything in terms of game analysis and game industry analysis here is "critical" to the game community discussion space, but I feel particularly strongly about the importance of this history and the people involved in it.

Erin Hoffman:

"As the professional association that unites the game development community and serves as its voice, the International Game Developers Association is deeply disturbed by this vicious cycle and is working to better the situation. Improving the quality of life of game developers is an IGDA priority."

So these guys are like a video game developers union?

Because I think these guys need to step things up. As I understand it, video games is still an industry where your only as good as your last product. Add to that the fact that layoffs have become a normal part of the video game industry...even when it occurs right after a game has been completed...

Say, when developers finish a job, do they get payed in a manner that will suffice during the dry spell that occurs between the finished project and the time it takes to find new work? Cause if not...well, I hope the guys at Raven that got laid off find work fast...

hansari:

Erin Hoffman:

"As the professional association that unites the game development community and serves as its voice, the International Game Developers Association is deeply disturbed by this vicious cycle and is working to better the situation. Improving the quality of life of game developers is an IGDA priority."

So these guys are like a video game developers union?

Because I think these guys need to step things up. As I understand it, video games is still an industry where your only as good as your last product. Add to that the fact that layoffs have become a normal part of the video game industry...even when it occurs right after a game has been completed...

Say, when developers finish a job, do they get payed in a manner that will suffice during the dry spell that occurs between the finished project and the time it takes to find new work? Cause if not...well, I hope the guys at Raven that got laid off find work fast...

Please do not necro threads. Do not post in threads this old, even if it is part of the featured articles. Necroing threads is very much frowned upon here... some even consider it on the same level as repeating a thread done in the same day.

You have been here for a few months, and have a post count that proves you are no beginner... don't make such a rookie mistake again, please. Thank you.

Mookie_Magnus:
... don't make such a rookie mistake again, please. Thank you.

O-M-G Mr. Man, soo sorry :{

I'll just start a new thread then...

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or