Zero Punctuation: Halo 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . . . 16 NEXT

Katana314:
In conclusion: One company to control the Xbox. A million to control the PC. Power struggle makes business good.

"DirectX 10"

Just because Microsoft doesn't control the PC hardware doesn't mean they can't -try- to make you buy Vista to play your games (and probably more RAM so you can run Vista -and- all your usual stuff at the same time ;P). And Vista is what, between AU$125 and the price of an Xbox360, depending on the version?

One ring to rule them all ;P

In Kazidoom's defense,he said that Yahtzee "had gamer's ears",meaning that alot of people listen to ZP. He didn't say gamers weren't fans of Halo. Indeed,the numbers indicate quite the contrary.

I am saying that KB/M is technically superior to sticks. It's just easier for most people to use. But,yeah,what's comfortable for you is more important than what's best for most people. I just wish most console makers would just realize alot of people would be happier if the KB/M option was more widely available and worked better.

zari:

Katana314:
In conclusion: One company to control the Xbox. A million to control the PC. Power struggle makes business good.

"DirectX 10"

Just because Microsoft doesn't control the PC hardware doesn't mean they can't -try- to make you buy Vista to play your games (and probably more RAM so you can run Vista -and- all your usual stuff at the same time ;P). And Vista is what, between AU$125 and the price of an Xbox360, depending on the version?

One ring to rule them all ;P

Yes, because Microsoft still obviously CONTROLS everyone in that regard.
Epic games: Fuck you, GoW is coming to Windows XP. That's that.
Valve: DX10 is a joke. We're not going to alienate our customers, even in RAM requirements.
EA: Yeah, we'll make it a Games For Windows...but only because it passes the requirements for it. Vista-only? WHAT?

Microsoft is trying all right. But failing miserably.

You'll all be delighted to know that this discussion is now a featured item at Fandom Wank.

http://www.journalfen.net/community/fandom_wank/

Even now, people are mocking this discussion as they mock all fandom-related kerfuffles. Yahtzee, my sincere congratulations to you. Please keep riling people up. It's almost as hilarious as your reviews.

Edit (after reading the comments at Fandom Wank): Boy, the ladies over at FW sure do like Yahtzee. Dude, if you're ever looking for a date, I think you're covered.

Actually,it seems most of them are shocked to discover ZP at all. And yes,the bitches love Yahztee. He's going to have to upgrade to a pimp hat soon. I'd also like to point out that one guy who gushes about Yahtzee's games,yet had no comment on the fact he's remaking one on a 3D engine. Am I the only one who clicks the link to his homepage?

Will someone PLEASE explain to me why everyone bashing Halo 3 has never played Halo 3 and think they can make a fair argument?

ccesarano:
[quote=Garfgarog][quote=ccesarano]seller.

Now you can argue all you like about whether console gamers are more stupid or not and I could care less if you swear by the "keyboard and mouse is better" argument because I could care less. I grew up with console games because I had a shitty computer, and getting the Playstation was cheaper than upgrading the computer for the latest and greatest. This is still a fact today, and as long as it is consoles will sell more than PC games. The PC has as few real exclusives coming out that are worth playing as the damn PS3 does.

Or that's at least how I justify writing news and reviews for it. Nonetheless, I'll be leaving for greener pastures eventually.

You WILL remember that it's 'COULDN'T care less' when you review in future, right? Saying you COULD care less about something means... and this might blow you away..... it means that you COULD care less.

Easykill:
Will someone PLEASE explain to me why everyone bashing Halo 3 has never played Halo 3 and think they can make a fair argument?

Because Halo 3 is the third in a franchise of games, and has thus far (pretending that we're still pre-launch here) promised to deliver on the same style of gameplay as offered before. Therefore, they have at least a small framework to work from. And while bashing isn't something I'd ever consider good, if someone has a bad opinion from playing the first two games, I find it totally reasonable that they can have a bad opinion about the third game without trying it. It just isn't what I'd call an informed opinion. Just more of an educated guess opinion.

Hmm, I really hope this wasn't a serious review, but judging on the time you put into this...

Then I think you have to learn how to make a proper review, excluding multiplayer for one, was a huge mistake; halo 3 has over 1 million players logged on as I type, so excluding multiplayer and saying no one cares about it makes you look ignorant. You can't judge a game based on a small part of it,(campaign) you have to judge it based on the whole package; and the mulitplayer is where it's at for halo 3.

I do agree that the campaign blew, and it could have been much longer than it was.

Alex Karls:

Easykill:

Because Halo 3 is the third in a franchise of games, and has thus far (pretending that we're still pre-launch here) promised to deliver on the same style of gameplay as offered before. Therefore, they have at least a small framework to work from. And while bashing isn't something I'd ever consider good, if someone has a bad opinion from playing the first two games, I find it totally reasonable that they can have a bad opinion about the third game without trying it. It just isn't what I'd call an informed opinion. Just more of an educated guess opinion.

LOL!!!

Just because you've played the first two, doesn't justify bashing on a game you've never played... that just makes you look stupid.

Fif3:
LOL!!!

Just because you've played the first two, doesn't justify bashing on a game you've never played... that just makes you look stupid.

What justifies bashing at all? I'd say nothing, so therefore you wouldn't really need any justification to do it. And whether or not you want to look at people like that as stupid is really up to you. I'm not keen to do that.

In the end, and this is unfortunate, sometimes an argument well made can trump an argument made fairly.

Fif3:
Hmm, I really hope this wasn't a serious review, but judging on the time you put into this...

Then I think you have to learn how to make a proper review, excluding multiplayer for one, was a huge mistake; halo 3 has over 1 million players logged on as I type, so excluding multiplayer and saying no one cares about it makes you look ignorant. You can't judge a game based on a small part of it,(campaign) you have to judge it based on the whole package; and the mulitplayer is where it's at for halo 3.

I do agree that the campaign blew, and it could have been much longer than it was.

Well,I hope this wasn't a serious review,and considering the lack of thought you put into it....

I think the bitterest irony about posts like this is that most,if not all,of their points have already been taken into consideration in the review itself if they'd just bother to watch it a few times and make sure they have their facts straight before coming on here and making accusations.

For example,Yahtzee never said "no one cares about multiplayer". He said HE didn't care about multiplayer and neither did alot of people. That's it. He didn't say "the majority" or even "most". Just that there are people who don't care about multiplayer and there are alot of them. And even that statement can change based on what you consider "alot".

And,considering the game's supposed to be perfect,the single player game should be several shades of awesome,not a boring walkthrough deal that was tacked on for what is basically a multiplayer game. A point also brought up in the review itself. And,from what I've heard,multiplayer isn't all that either. The whole time I was playing Halo 2's multiplayer,I was thinking about how much more awesome Unreal Tournament was. And it wasn't long before I just chucked H2 multi aside and just played that.

One day you're all going to realise that the greatest game ever made was Paradroid on the C64 and all this Halo business will be nothing more than a distant memory.

Brilliant review

Smylexx:
One day you're all going to realise that the greatest game ever made was Paradroid on the C64 and all this Halo business will be nothing more than a distant memory.

Is that the one where your goal is to be bot 999? That game was friggin awesome.

2 days since i last looked on here and everyone is still ripping the Crap out of each other. I refer to my old comment, TAKE A CHILL PILL! its not to be taken so seriously!!! any disgruntled halo fanboys who want to take out their frustration at yahtzees commical review, should go and roar down their headsets at other 13 year old halo fanboys on xbox live, and ask yourselves if the game is so good then why waste your time posting enraged comments on here when you could actually be playing the game...

and if you hadnt realised yet, yes i dislike halo fanboys (_ )

Merlynn:

For example,Yahtzee never said "no one cares about multiplayer". He said HE didn't care about multiplayer and neither did alot of people. That's it. He didn't say "the majority" or even "most". Just that there are people who don't care about multiplayer and there are alot of them. And even that statement can change based on what you consider "alot".

So it seems as though there is a bit of misinterpretation here... "a lot of people" can mean many things, it can mean most, the majority, over half, ect. I don't think I have ever seen anyone use "a lot" in a situation where they did not mean any of those values. If he did not mean any of those he would have used "some people", correct?

I believe he is very wrong, a lot of people DO care about the multiplayer, if you don't believe me, do a survey of 100 random Halo 3 owners and tell me how many of those don't care about the online play; I think you will come to find you are very wrong in putting such labels on those who bought halo 3.

I didn't come here to argue, I just came here to post my thoughts. If you guys don't agree with them, then that's your problem.

Is all this based upon an unfortunate strawman or so?

Can't some people understand that certain gamers have not been waiting to play Halo 3 for its MP at all?

I get the impression that what certain members here, are saying, can be understood as:

"Oh, geez, playing a FPS in solo is so absurd and lame now. FPS stories suck so much, how can you even buy a FPS game for the solo?"

Yes,Fif,that's just the point. Halo 3 *owners* like the multiplayer. That's like asking how many gun owners also own bullets. It's like asking how many car owners use gas to fuel their cars. People who don't like Halo's multiplayer game DIDN'T BUY HALO 3!!!! And lets face facts,more people DIDN'T buy Halo 3 than did. What's that say to you?

Frankly,when someone says "alot",I think "a significant number". For example,you can drink "alot" without drinking most of the booze in a bar. You can eat "alot" at a buffet and never even come close to "most of the food". So the idea of "alot=most or the majority" doesn't hold water. Even if only 1 in 100 or even 1 in 1000,gamers doesn't care about multiplayer,that's still easily "alot". You're just going to have to face the facts,your complaint doesn't hold up.

Glad there is a reviewer that doesn't worry about the backlash of fanboys that never played an original shooter.

Halo's average and its about time a reviewer actually saw that...I'm sorry, my mistake:

A reviewer that actually saw that and didn't wimp out at backlash.

"I flippin called it."

LOL. That and the Wii. Good review. One of my favorite ones, if not, the best one you did! Keep up the fine work. lol. You should do the same for Killzone 2.

"Lowered my standards."

I am new to the Zero Punctuation reviews, and I must say.. you have a new fan =). I have seriously laughed out loud at some of the stuff you have put out, and I can't wait to see more.

I would LOVE to see your review of Oblivion for the xbox360. I know its been out for awhile..but a new review of an older game never hurts.

I've been watching the reviews for a while and I felt like I should at least register :-). Hilarious review and, as ever, I'm excited to see the next one!

And lets hope Microsoft don't take over Switzerland.

Spindrifter:
Thank you, Yahtzee. I appreciate that there's someone out there who has the ear of gamers and that does not worship at the Church of Halo just because everyone else seems to.

That and he doesnt eat out of sony's hand either, Im glad that he's not the type to say, 'I think ~interst PS2/3 FPS~ is a far better game' like so many people out there are.

But poblem is, there are so many people out there that seem unable to see the fact that there are great games on other consoles that they dont own.

I enjoy Halo 3, but I can see the flaws in it, but being neither a sony or microsoft loyalist dog, Im not going to slate it because its not on the PS3, or fall in love with it because it helped sell the Xbox and the 360, give me a nice RPG over and FPS anyday.
For me, this is another game to keep me going while I wait for a Ratchet and Clank on the PS3 so I have an even bigger libary of games to choose from
(Not that I will stop playing the 360)

Fif3:

Then I think you have to learn how to make a proper review, excluding multiplayer for one, was a huge mistake; halo 3 has over 1 million things logged on as I type

Fixed.
After hearing a bit of Halo 3 multiplayer, and the "uber leet skilz" needed to play it, I never want to try it again. I don't blame Yahtzee for not wanting to continue to review something after finding out it solidly sucks.

Also, your "one million" information is most likely incorrect, unless you have a valid source. Xbox Live passed 6 million users in March, and I find it unlikely that 1/6th of its users are always online.

Well,doing the math,3 million copies,most bought it for the multiplayer,they have to be logged in to play multiplayer,so yeah,it isn't that far fetched to have 1 million Halo players on-line,at least during peak hours. Though a more realistic number would probably be about 500,000.

Math nothing. Source everything.
Or am I correct, and the Xbox.com page uses every bit of its space to get you to buy stuff, instead of actually telling its customers anything?

I have no idea what you're talking about.

The matchmaking screen tells you how many people are on in the game. If he has halo 3, the number is accurate.

Katana314:
Math nothing. Source everything.

He meant, give him a source, or don't even bother spewing your...math.

I am the source of the math. I took a basic number,3 million copies sold,took into account hardcore,casual,and fan boys playing Halo,the fact it was just released and so a lot of people are playing it like mad,and then made an educated guess which should be obvious to anyone who bothered to read my post. I'm saying that 1 million players on-line playing Halo 3 wouldn't be too far from believable. In other words,it's plausible,but I can't prove or disprove it.

So unless you want to come up with something to disprove it,like logging into Xbox Live with Halo 3 and seeing how many are on playing it,don't just dismiss the fact it *could* be happening. Doing things like that makes you blind to possibilities and once you've done that,you've locked into a mindset and nothing short of being tortured will get you out of it.

The fact remains,1 million people playing Halo 3 is hardly impossible. But we're only dealing in possibility cause none of us have a means to check. And the one guy who does in this little mess seems intent to stand by the "1 million people on playing it" statement.

Destructoid.com:
http://www.destructoid.com/halo-3-makes-300-million-worldwide-in-first-week-sales-47649.phtml

This sleeper hit has made $300 million worldwide. Not only that, but Xbox 360 console sales have almost doubled and nearly three million people have played on LIVE:

The Microsoft press release that Destructoid was quoting:
More than 2.7 million gamers have played "Halo 3" on Xbox LIVE in the first week, representing nearly one-third of the 7 million Xbox LIVE members worldwide. Within the first day of its launch, "Halo 3" players worldwide racked up more than 3.6 million hours of online gameplay, which increased more than elevenfold to 40 million hours by the end of the first week, representing more than 4,500 years of continuous gameplay.

I'm all for truth in reporting and what not, but it does seem fairly obvious that Halo 3 is a gigantic success, and verifiably so. Were you guys arguing about not being able to backup the stats with the source? My apologies if I misinterpreted, I just thought that these might help if that was the case.

Assuming that 40 million gameplay hours represent the player base all playing for at least 8 hours a day for 7 days in the week, that's 714,000~ people per day. One million people playing Halo 3 in a day is conceivable. I'm not sure if Xbox Live could do one million at once, but who knows, maybe?

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7224&Itemid=2

This article talks about the number of Xbox 360's sold. As of June 30th, 2007, approximately 11.6 million had been sold. Given that the estimated number of Xbox Live users by this time was at least 6 million (as it passed that number in March, from what Katana314 was saying), that means we've got about a 50%+ adoption rate on multiplayer functionality. I'm guessing the ratio is actually higher than that, but can't be sure. Either way, this simply reaffirms what people have said for a long while. Multiplayer is one of the strong driving forces behind Xbox 360 sales.

I have an opinion of Yahtzee's review myself. I really liked it. He was honest, upfront, and funny. I'm not sure that it is of the most critical use, given that he wasn't interested in multiplayer and hadn't wanted to review this one intentionally, but it's all around good for the sake of being entertaining.

Moving back on:

The whole thing rolls out to a big old:

So what? Yahtzee's review kicked aces in so many levels for speaking the truth. Overhype is overhype. Period.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . . . 16 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here