Zero Punctuation: Super Paper Mario

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Super Paper Mario

This week, Zero Punctuation unwraps Super Paper Mario.

Watch Video

Beautiful, as always.

I'd just like to point our, however, that us North-Easterners are NOT boring. At best, we're Something Else.

sometimes i feel that Yahtzee is becoming a latter day Cronkite... well done sir

Guiness Land, Cheers yahtzee...

Actually, you did it the second easiest way. There is a way to get the 1,000,000 you need quicker by paying some people some money to get codes and secrets. Then you go through and find a cupboard full of rubees. A million of the blighters to be precise.

15 minutes? Wasn't it more like 5, including the time stopping to check how much you've earned?

Spot on review apart from that: Paper Mario was definitely the best in the series, TTYD was too padded out for me.

Minor spoiler:

I wonder if some people never found the safe?

Another nice episode...And I don't really expect much from a Mario game these days, hell I'd think of buying a Wii if they got a new mascot perhaps.

Solid Snake or Sonic anyone?

I laughed so hard at that thing about the light and dark world...it seriously feels like it's been done to death.
I really need to make an article specifically about the number of games that waste the player's time...WHILE PLAYING.

Katana314:
I laughed so hard at that thing about the light and dark world...it seriously feels like it's been done to death.
I really need to make an article specifically about the number of games that waste the player's time...WHILE PLAYING.

This would be ironic since we would then be wasting our time not playing, reading about wasting our time while playing. (Not that reading what you wrote would necessarily be a waste of time for anyone other than me... damn people who don't have mile long to do lists.)

Wow, for the first time I have to diverge with respect to Yahtzee.

He hates all JRPGs but two, I hate anything Mario but two.

There are quite a few good Final Fantasies out there, the Suikodens are good, the Valkyrie Profiles, the Parasite Eves, ... Oh well, good show anyway =).

I just picked this game up last week with that Toys R US deal, but haven't cracked it open. I did finish the Thousand Year door and bought Paper Mario on the Virtual COnsole, at least I think I did. Was the original paper mario any good? How does it compare?

SaraPh:

Katana314:

This would be ironic since we would then be wasting our time not playing, reading about wasting our time while playing. (Not that reading what you wrote would necessarily be a waste of time for anyone other than me... damn people who don't have mile long to do lists.)

Your message was almost becoming too long, thus barely avoided the wast'o'time bar. :)

Yahtzee truly is a modern day verbatim master of the verboten review. Even his drunken utterances should be recorded by Ephors and handed down to us mere mortals as the wisdom an old video game god. Good show yahtzee!

Good to see that Yahtzee and I are somewhat opposites when it comes to RPGs. Still another good review. I just hope he dosent get his hands on Odin Sphere.

Nice man, good stuff. Haven't played the newest paper marios, I did like the other ones but they got BORING FAST. I think one issue with the games is that the stories, while silly and anarchistic... tend to lack tension. Also, it's true, turn-based combat in JRPGs sucks ass, but actually REAL turn based combat (I.E. XCom, Master of Magic, a million other games) is great.

Also I agree and would go one step further. Not only should they stop making paper marios, but they should stop making marios all together. Why is there automatically an assumption that more and more "mario games" and "zelda games" should keep being made? Come up with some NEW IP nintendo!

Even if there was an easier way to get the money, I remember when I found out I had to do that shit even for a few minutes I wanted to strangle someone. I thought by now that such a thing would have been banned from all game design, but apparently no one over at Gamasutra has mentioned that in a design article.

Good review, though I think I'm getting used to them now as they don't make me laugh as often. The reference to Earthbound, however, was probably the highlight of my whole day as the game is absolutely fantastic.

While I find it amusing that Yahtzee is going to bash turn based RPG's, I have to pause and agree in the end because, while both are supposedly sacrificing gameplay for story, Adventure games, well, their story is good. Whereas JRPG's...well, you have to like anime, really. Though I do think Yahtzee should give the original FFTactics a go, as that game is so good that Square must've only approved it by accident.

Keith: Nintendo comes up with new IP quite frequently. See Pikmin, Elite Beat Agents, Doshin the Giant and all that training crap for a few examples from the past decade. Not all are readily accepted by the market.

Yahtzee: I was a little surprised that you didn't mention "flipping" as that was the game's primary hook. Looking back though it makes little difference. Flipping ended up being a way to force the player to return to the same place over again and lost any wow factor and just became annoying after the first few times.

I've found all JRPG's extremely boring since FF8 and I now know why.

They sucked!

Here's something interesting worth pointing out: The video starts off with "Il Canto degli Italiani", just a few days after Ferrari had captured the F1 Driver's Championship through Kimi Räikkönen.

Is Yahtzee a Ferrari fan, or is it coincidence?

ccesarano:
Though I do think Yahtzee should give the original FFTactics a go, as that game is so good that Square must've only approved it by accident.

I'd suggest the recent PSP remake over the original - while nearly identical functionally, the new translation is much better. It's nice to play a game occasionally where the plot and dialogue aren't written for 5th graders.

Not bad.

You know what's a great JRPG without turn-based combat? Star Ocean 2nd Story. If you can survive the extremely chatty hour-long intro chapter (It's not all talk, it involves you wandering around a town at one point and you kill maybe three bad guys including a rapist and a giant mutant ape... rapist), but after that, the game's solid gold. The fights are more in line with an arcade beat 'em up than a standard RPG, although you can pause the real-time action to issue commands, use items, set up spells and such for your other party members while controlling one real time. Four party members at a time plus 20 or so you can collect (not all at once, you have to make subtle choices in between different pairs at times), as well as two main characters you can choose from, and 80 or so different possible endings depending on how your party members got along made this game in particular my absolute favorite RPG since Shadowrun on the genesis and lasted until I first played Deus Ex.
Was the Genesis Shadowrun a western game? I'm not sure what asshole of the world FASA hails from.
I've only played about 20 minutes of the N64 Paper Mario and never owned a Gamecube and don't currently own a Wii (With no plans to since I already have a friend who has one and is planning on getting the new Smash Brothers), so my opinion on today's video is a bit limited.

I normally agree with you fully but there is some points where I really disagree.

For one on the hamster wheel level, I'd hate to say it, but you really kinda flopped the level. Your not really supposed go for the whole million on that thing. I would think most people would get that you are not supposed to go the boring way. A 30 minute time sink in a Nintendo game? I know they've had pretty cheesy gimmicks but I don't think they would go that far. Though I admire your quick way to solve the problem. You really only need 10,100 total to afford the correct route which takes no time at all (not going to say how to do it but it seemed pretty easy to find if you search around). So the whole joke seems kind of empty. (and I feel bad that you waited that long XD)

The other point was the light side dark side part. It only really matters in the plot, the flip town (which was really just a cheap way to reuse th same town), a and the last chapter (kind of). It didn't really affect game play at all (which it has been in other Nintendo games, to the point of vomiting).

Other then that spot on, the platforming was bland and the collect 7 colorful things is getting old.

Whats with all the JRPG hating all of a sudden?

ZK Azer:
Is Yahtzee a Ferrari fan, or is it coincidence?

coincidence? I reckon he let that Italian music play cause Mario is Italian. But then, what the hell do I know?

great review as always, actually the best reviews I've come across on this side of the great e-cosmos. no other reviewer out there is as blatantly honest, witty and funny at the same time. I keep wishing the videos were longer, but I can imagine that making them must be an f-load of work. So, no worries, keep doing what you do best and shot for the great reviews! Apart from being a real treat they actually do what they're supposed to. Fucking review the game!

regards
y

While I have, and play, several JRPGs (for the story, because what thickheaded moron would play those things for the action?), I agree with Yahtzee entirely in that most of the JRPGs out there are extremely boring from a gameplay point of view, most of it being 'Press X for shiny colors' until the game is freaking finished.

I have not played a Paper Mario game since the first one, so this review was just funny because it's Yahtzee and it makes fun of both americans and JRPGs.

I, and everyone else ever most likely, say 'Great job Yahtzee you charismatic stallion you, have some cake', the review was up to the usual standard, and each week I anticipate this day so I can see the funniness that is the latest review.

Im also in the "OMG HE MENTIONED EARTHBOUND LETS ALL FREAK OUT" Club.

Good show Yahtzee, and as I saw in your FAQ an entire episode devoted to Earthbound is unlikley but heres to hoping anyway.

Virgil:

ccesarano:
Though I do think Yahtzee should give the original FFTactics a go, as that game is so good that Square must've only approved it by accident.

I'd suggest the recent PSP remake over the original - while nearly identical functionally, the new translation is much better. It's nice to play a game occasionally where the plot and dialogue aren't written for 5th graders.

I have to agree, it was odd playing an FF game where the entire story arc wasn't how technology is ruining spirituality. They have been so completely boring that I haven't finished an FF game since 7 and I blame long lonely nights to the completion of that one.

FFT on the other hand was a deviously fun blood-thirsty massacre. Aside from the tedium that can result from tactical rpgs, it was a lot of fun to play through just to see what sort of masochistic thing was going to happen to our hapless heroes next.

As for the review itself, it wasn't your greatest review but I certainly laughed a few times. If anything I'd like to give the paper mario's a chance, but I don't have a Wii at the moment and probably won't for another year or so when they have a library of games big enough for me to care about.

Zera:
Whats with all the JRPG hating all of a sudden?

All of a sudden?

good show old boy, i guess i must be a funny accented prick... only without a funny accent
(~ '')

I agree with you on JRPG'S with FF7 being the exception, personnaly i think its a classic.

TendoAddict:
Your not really supposed go for the whole million on that thing. I would think most people would get that you are not supposed to go the boring way. A 30 minute time sink in a Nintendo game? I know they've had pretty cheesy gimmicks but I don't think they would go that far. Though I admire your quick way to solve the problem. You really only need 10,100 total to afford the correct route which takes no time at all.

Actually there are two moments - the hamster wheel bit, even for the minimum amount needed, is incredibly boring, and of course TWO visits to the Big White World where there is absolutely nothing of interest (literally - it's just one big black line on a white background) and you have to hold 'right' for frickin' ages until you find something of interest. Like the game.

Oh, I'm also in the 'Earthbound? Woo!' club. Release Mother 3 you bastards Nintendo! I'm in Europe, so I'm also in the 'Nintendo of anywhere apart from US and Japan? Boo!' club that got Super Paper Mario waaaaaaaaay too late.

acegi:
I've found all JRPG's extremely boring since FF8 and I now know why.

They sucked!

Good to know you can form your own opinions like the rest of these fine chaps around here sucking up.

Wait... shit.

Well,I want to make the following point. Yahtzee *doesn't* want Princess Peach to take all her clothes off? Sounds like he's already got the gay.

Speaking of gay,if you want to disturb people on Team Fortress 2,play as the Medic and yell "I'm the caboose on the man train!" at random intervals. Talk about uncomfortable. You want the Medic pumping you up from behind with his large hose,but on the other hand,it really does seem very gay.

Did the dark side have Goomba's with goaties?

The Tingler:

TendoAddict:
Your not really supposed go for the whole million on that thing. I would think most people would get that you are not supposed to go the boring way. A 30 minute time sink in a Nintendo game? I know they've had pretty cheesy gimmicks but I don't think they would go that far. Though I admire your quick way to solve the problem. You really only need 10,100 total to afford the correct route which takes no time at all.

Actually there are two moments - the hamster wheel bit, even for the minimum amount needed, is incredibly boring, and of course TWO visits to the Big White World where there is absolutely nothing of interest (literally - it's just one big black line on a white background) and you have to hold 'right' for frickin' ages until you find something of interest. Like the game.

Oh, I'm also in the 'Earthbound? Woo!' club. Release Mother 3 you bastards Nintendo! I'm in Europe, so I'm also in the 'Nintendo of anywhere apart from US and Japan? Boo!' club that got Super Paper Mario waaaaaaaaay too late.

Hmmm... a game where you sit around for a half-hour wasting your time... hell, if you had to pay for that kind of fun its called an MMO.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here