Yahtzee Releases Art of Theft

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Yahtzee Releases Art of Theft

The Escapist is pleased to present The Art of Theft, the latest game from Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw. The Art of Theft is a mission-based stealth platformer, with an emphasis on gameplay over story. Your goal is to infiltrate a variety of buildings in Chapow City, steal loot, achieve objectives and get out again with the subtlety of a flickering shadow in a ninja outfit.

Read Full Article

Yahtzee, I've been meaning to get around to all of your games for about a year, now. I got fairly far in Five Days a Stranger, I think, before being sidetracked by something unrelated and forgetting what I was doing. While it's great to see you're still working on them, I suppose I'm quite fortunate they're not going anywhere. Releasing a low-profile game in November 2007 is probably not the best of ideas; I'm not sure I'll have the time for any more probably-great games until about January!

So, is The Escapist's role in distributing this more like a publisher, or a mirror, or what?

They give him money, he gets a platform to advertise his games. That's it I think

Looks a lot like Elevator Action, but with stylish headgear.

I'm playing through Galaxy of Fantabulous Wonderment right now , and enjoying it greatly.

The seriousness of 5/7 Days didn't appeal to me, though.

At first glance I am reminded me the PSP/Xbox Live game, Exit.

Will check it out in a minute or two once this download finishes.

Edit: Having played to the third heist - good job, Yahtzee. Whatever comparisons to Exit I initially had have melted away. It reminds me of the "good old days" of my childhood, playing old DOS games on my 33mhz computer. That's a compliment, by the way - Art of Theft is no worse for wear just because of it's minimalistic art style and I'd say you get bonus points on nostalgia if anything. I don't think the game would've benefited from fancy graphics or a more detailed visual presentation. It works and is fantastic.

I've never been good at stealth games, though. XD Most of my experience in, say, Metal Gear Solid is trying to sneak around, getting seen, and then fighting my way out of it. Trilby doesn't like that option so I'm being forced to play a bit differently than I usually do.

From one budding game designer to another, you get a big thumbs up from me.

@ J.theYellow
Exactly what I was thinking. Elevator Action through and through. And we all know how fun that was... Oh yeah, none. ;)

Yahtzee reviewing his own games... :)

*thinks*

Since there's nowhere else to ask these sorts of things - On heist #6,

Verithrax:
Since there's nowhere else to ask these sorts of things - On heist #6,

Without giving away to much, read the small notes on the wall, and then read the text above the keypad.

J.theYellow:
Looks a lot like Elevator Action, but with stylish headgear.

I loved Elevator Action. Man, if AoT had elevators I'd probably need a few moments alone.

Damn, that's pretty good - I knew Yahtzee made games but I didn't know they were this good :D

Will definitely play through this.

I've dug it so far, though the serious story missions so far have been quite difficult, compared to the "Let's go rob people for money ^_^" missions. I've got lower standards and a few other basic upgrades and still can't beat the XJ mission without setting off too many alarms.
It's good fun anyway, however.
In the level with the apartments, something seems bugged with the stage light and the diamonds thing. Every time I leave the screen and come back after cutting the power box and turning off that light, it's back on, preventing me from stealing the diamonds it's guarding.

it's a fun little diversion

I don't know the code for the spoiler box, so I'll ask this question carefully. I'm on Trilby's second visit to "The Company." It appears to me that Third Level lock-picking, which I haven't acquired yet, is a requirement to finish this level. Am I right?

In the level with the apartments, something seems bugged with the stage light and the diamonds thing. Every time I leave the screen and come back after cutting the power box and turning off that light, it's back on, preventing me from stealing the diamonds it's guarding.

Lather, rinse and repeat as necessary.

the game is awesome, but im here to self plug. i reviewed the game in yahtzee style, and i'm quite chuffed with it. you can see it here

once again, great game, add lots of complimentary things -

Well that killed a few hours of my life:)

Nice vid, not bad at all. In fact it's almost on par with Yahtzee's earlier videos... if only your production wasn't so horrendous. I couldn't understand half of what you said. Try recording each section separately and editing them together. At least them you'd be able to practice keeping the levels the same. Speak clearly, at the same loudness and same speed. But most of all SPEAK CLEARLY.

where can I download his other games from, I looked around the site but I can't find them (then again I have the finding ability of a non internet search engine)

Krinsot:
where can I download his other games from, I looked around the site but I can't find them (then again I have the finding ability of a non internet search engine)

http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/games.htm

Enjoy!

great job Ben!

Hmmm? I can't download this. Every time I try to open the zip file, I get a message saying that it's invalid.

Nothing sucks worse than a game which know is good but which you also know is beyond your reach...

i downloaded it, but it does not work on macs...

*sigh...*

Holy necropost, Batman!
Nah, it's cool.

1 WHY ARE THERE QUICK TIME EVENTS

2 IT WONT SAVE

This thread is a hive of necromancy.

You're the one who's reawakened it. Necromancer.

NECROMANCY? WHERE?!

Squeegy:
NECROMANCY? WHERE?!

I call troll on this one.

Awsome job :) Brings back memories of old adventure games :)

So, when is the Mac version coming up? ;)

Fine work that was a great video

This game is unneccesarily hard after about lvl 4.

This game is amusing if only for the flashback to pixelated side-scrolling sega type games =P.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here