Zero Punctuation: Clive Barker's Jericho

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Clive Barker's Jericho

This week's Zero Punctuation takes a long, bloody look at Clive Barker's Jericho (by Clive Barker).

Watch Video

wooot first!

Great review

Speaking of cock: what do you make of this studios logo?

http://massiveblack.com/mbNew/frontpage.html

acegi:
wooot first!

get a life

Really though, Yahtzee is at his best when he's taking the piss out of a game or gamers and only that.

Massive Black.... that's so wrong in the best way.

mindsikk:
Speaking of cock: what do you make of this studios logo?

http://massiveblack.com/mbNew/frontpage.html

That is so wrong, and so awesome at the same time if they get away with it.

Anyway, good review Yahtzee, i thought i was the only one that thought that making a game realistic meant coloring everything brown.

Interesting pick.. lots of fodder out now, I was expecting an assassin's creed, a cod4 or even a crysis.

MrKeroChan:

acegi:
wooot first!

Really though, Yahtzee is at his best when he's taking the piss out of a game or gamers and only that.

Not particularly. I appreciated the Psychonauts review which was generally favourable.

That was -awesome-
Sad, the most compelling reviews are the one filled with hatred.That please me.
(well..at least on my wallet's side)..I wanted to buy Jericho, and maybe just to end up with another game sharing its fate with Dark Messiah, uncompleted and disappointing.

Bubble Six:
That was -awesome-
Sad, the most compelling reviews are the one filled with hatred.That please me.
(well..at least on my wallet's side)..I wanted to buy Jericho, and maybe just to end up with another game sharing its fate with Dark Messiah, uncompleted and disappointing.

You didn't like being able to kick all your enemies off cliffs into the conveniently placed spike racks?

Great, very funny review (the first minute or so had me in stitches, especially that "magic-pimped" soldier and the granite octopus). As fate would want it, I happened to play the Jericho demo yesterday. I can only agree with the "whack-a-mole" statement - after about 10 minutes of play, I realised that all I needed to do was kill an enemy, then stand in the exact same spot, wait for the next one to arrive, kill it too, and repeat until things stopped arriving. Move to next spot until the demo is over. Not the kind of "gameplay" I'd pay money for.

It looks like you didn't enjoy the flakturms in this game either, Yahtzee ;). By the way, you missed the godawful checkpointing. Ooh, and I'll pitch it again: consider reviewing The Witcher.

I'm glad Yahtzee could rant about something. Nothing peeves me off more then pathetic 'games' like this one.

Oh please oh please do Hellgate: London next, go on! Rant on son!

dr_pangloss:
Interesting pick.. lots of fodder out now, I was expecting an assassin's creed, a cod4 or even a crysis.

Um, all those games that you mentioned only come out this week. Maybe next week. :/

Fun as always

Wow he actually did this like he mentioned it before. When I first saw the update that this was up, i said to myself that he is gonna tear this one up. What will he do next.

Yahtzee, you charasmatic stallion, this is one of your finest reviews to date.

Somewhat enjoyed the demo for this game. A shame to hear it's just another flop.

i had the same impression with the demo... definitely not worth the time it takes to play, and most definitely not worth anything over 5 USD

PC Gamer (UK version) had rated Jericho badly, so I was prepared for Yatzhee to violently maim it. Then again, the UK version of PC Gamer is quite strict with it's ratings.
Regardless, looks like another long anticipated game dissapointing (others including Hellgate: London and Halo 3).

I enjoyed the review. It reinforces my decision to rent the game for a night rather than buy it our right :P. Also, Yahtzee, keep up the good work. Your videos are a great asset to this site and I always find them fun to watch.

On another note I downloaded your game. It was a fun play :).

Well done yahtzee! Another hilarious review.

Hate to sound even more sad than your 'shenmue' case, but I feel a compulsion to correct THEM. It was FIRST done on Die Hard Arcade, that 3D scrolling beater of about 12 years ago.

One more thing - I know in your previous review that you said Fantasy World Dizzy was the greatest game ever made, but just wondering why not Treasure Island Dizzy or (dare I say it) the original Dizzy.

mmmm.. another pipe'n hot Yahtzee review. I do so love Wednesdays

VMerken:
Great, very funny review (the first minute or so had me in stitches, especially that "magic-pimped" soldier and the granite octopus). As fate would want it, I happened to play the Jericho demo yesterday. I can only agree with the "whack-a-mole" statement - after about 10 minutes of play, I realised that all I needed to do was kill an enemy, then stand in the exact same spot, wait for the next one to arrive, kill it too, and repeat until things stopped arriving. Move to next spot until the demo is over. Not the kind of "gameplay" I'd pay money for.

It looks like you didn't enjoy the flakturms in this game either, Yahtzee ;). By the way, you missed the godawful checkpointing. Ooh, and I'll pitch it again: consider reviewing The Witcher.

Agreed. Please review The Witcher.

Filling the comments section with ignorance and bile.

That being said, I think the review was awesome as usual. Go, Yahtzee! Whoop whoop.

Agreed. To quote the Simpsons; thank God it's Wednesday.

J-Val:
PC Gamer (UK version) had rated Jericho, so I was prepared for Yatzhee to violently maim it. Then again, the UK version of PC Gamer is quite strict with it's ratings.
Regardless, looks like another long anticipated game dissapointing (others including Hellgate: London and Halo 3).

Nice to hear that SOME version of that damn magazine has a rating schedule not tied to the depths of the developer's pockets.

Great work as always, thank you mister Yahtzee, I'll download that new game of yours eventually, and thank you Clive Barker for giving me one of the most hilarious reviews I've ever seen.

VMerken:
I can only agree with the "whack-a-mole" statement - after about 10 minutes of play, I realised that all I needed to do was kill an enemy, then stand in the exact same spot, wait for the next one to arrive, kill it too, and repeat until things stopped arriving. Move to next spot until the demo is over. Not the kind of "gameplay" I'd pay money for.

You missed the Simon Says game. The demo has a simon says game as well. And whilst I actually quite like those if they're well done and unobtrusive, Jericho's are among the worst I've encountered, because they're really long and the commands are issued with such speed that you basically have no choice but to memorise the entire sequence if you want to succeed.

Top form.

Wait, weren't the Simon Says button sequences originally done in Dragon's Lair and its ilk? Shenmue stole it from them while improving it; God of War stole it from Shenmue without really improving it. Say, wasn't Simon Says popular in the early 80s? Is the video game industry just a front for an enthusiastic yet sick bunch of Simon Says fanatics?

Damn. I'd heard that Jericho was on the wrong side of good, but as something of an Undying fan - another Clive Barker game by Clive Barker that tanked - I was hoping there'd be at least enough in there to tide me over for awhile longer.

WafflesToo:
Nice to hear that SOME version of that damn magazine has a rating schedule not tied to the depths of the developer's pockets.

Yeah, the UK version has almost facistly-high standards. If you look on metacritic, usually the UK version always rates differently from the orignal and more than likely rates lower.

Played the demo. Wished I was playing Chris Jericho's Barker instead...

The only good thing about wednesdays, Zero punctuation.

Also I saw the IGN review of Jericho. I wasn't as good as it sounded.

Yahtzee has redeemed himself from the MoH:A debacle. Highly entertaining, thanks.

I must thank you when i first saw the game i thought well this looks interesting but now thanks to this i don't need to waste money or time with it.

and as a side note antoher great review as always.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here