Zero Punctuation: Silent Hill Origins

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Silent Hill Origins

This week on Zero Punctuation, Yahtzee visits Silent Hill.

Watch Video

Sweet, I have waited for this all day... =)

There has been a good game with weapon degradation--its called System Shock 2, Yahtzee ;) and I named it before the second was up, too!

Agreed with the rest of the review though.

Yea agreed with the review and will add
most psp games just copy some what of the story of a game
Great work as usual Yahtzee

Ya know I've never played Silent Hill. Any of them. Which I'm told makes my life incomplete in the way not having sex makes a man incomplete. I do hope to play them one day...
Oh, but I saw the movie :D *runs before anyone beats him to death with whatever they pull out of their stash*

This was one of the best again Yahtzee! Your wit never fails to make me chuckle.
I love how you slipped that picture of yourself in there as well.

Also, I finally figured out who you remind me of! You're like a faster-talking version of Charlie Brooker! For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b7mwTK564o

when r v gonna c a review of crysis or cod4 or even ut3

Um, no. Proper English please. /mod.

Dark Shikari:
There has been a good game with weapon degradation--its called System Shock 2, Yahtzee ;) and I named it before the second was up, too!

SS2 is good dispite the degredation not because of it ;-)

It took his a week to get around to the URMRGAY joke, but even Yahtzee couldn't get away from it.

Xen Monkey:

Dark Shikari:

SS2 is good dispite the degredation not because of it ;-)

Without the degradation though, it would have been piss-easy.

Being forced to take on a maintenance robot with nothing but a wrench, pistol, and 10 hitpoints left is what made the game *fun*.

I like Yahtzee trying to fold his arms, i got what he was doing but i did look a little like...

jaisimar_chelsea:

When you learn to type properly.

Another Well Review Done, Yahtzee. Silent Hill 2 is also my favorite one, and I agree yet that the Silent Hill Series is getting bad, but I just simply think that it's dying but not dead, the judge will be turn on Silent Hill 5, if it's good, it lives, if it doesn't, throw it into a pile of shit.

Dark Shikari:

He asked to name one game where weapon degradation was a good idea, not one game that was good and happened to have weapon degradation in it. Both System Shock 2 and Jagged Alliance 2 have weapon degradation and are good games, but both would be better off without it...

Never even heard of silent hill...

something tells me that wasn't the best way to open my post

great review Yahtzee, might just buy the game any way just so I can get some use out of my fucking psp!!!

SomeBritishDude:
Never even heard of silent hill...

something tells me that wasn't the best way to open my post

great review Yahtzee, might just buy the game any way just so I can get some use out of my fucking psp!!!

I would do the same but some little shit stole my psp

i think the weapon degredation in condemed was pretty good, couldn't agree more with the stuff about silent hill 2 being by far the best, that game is ACE!

Brilliant as always - though it may not be the best of the Silent Hill games, its still nice to be able to bring Silent Hill with you wherever you go.

Good use of weapon degradation--Dead Rising.

What about Dead Rising? If there weren't degradation, then A) the game would be too frickin easy with the mini chainsaws and katanas, and B)you wouldn't have been given any real reason to try out new weapons as you came across them, or even use them out of pure necessity (being caught in a corner by a crowd of zombies and seeing a sledge hammer).

The end of your review reminded me somewhat of Sub-Zero's main fatality in almost every Mortal Kombat.

just decided to contribute to the straining of the escapists servers.

I was wondering, wouldn't it be wise to transfer you're Darkness and Fable reviews over to the escapist? They are still floating around somewhere on youtube but I doubt a lot of visitors here have seen them.

I hated weapon degradation when I first saw it on the Dragon's Inn BBS MUD back in the 80's and I hate it to this day.

My "weapon" "degrades" every time I "use" it, if you "know" what I mean.

Just give me an hour. Where are you going?

Dark Shikari:

He didn't say there's never been a good game that had weapon degradation. He said there's never been a game where weapon degradation has been a good idea.

Ohhh, finaly a new movie=)

I have never played Silent Hill, but it sounds good.

awesome review, still waiting for cod 4 review though =(

Alphazero:
My "weapon" "degrades" every time I "use" it, if you "know" what I mean.

Just give me an hour. Where are you going?

I shouldn't be chuckling at this, but I am.

Anyway, Silent Hill has always been a favorite series of mine, though I only feel sentimentally tied to Silent Hill 2. I have been hesitant about touching any other entries into the series, including the movie, for fear of what I know will be a sure-fire mar on my relationship with the title. Fond SH Memory #114: Being a young frightened girl desperately adjusting the brightness as high up as it will go in particularly rash moments so that the town was so blinding, it looked like another sunny day in Pleasantville.

Fire Emblem?

I thought of a game in which weapon degradation was a good idea during the one second given to me (System Shock 2, simply because it was well-implemented and fit nicely with the other RPG elements); does that mean I win?

Breakable weapons are the dumbest things in gaming since the Atari 5200.

jaisimar_chelsea:

Can your PC even play Crysis? Mine looked at the specs and laughed at me.

Anyway, its a shame to see this game do so poorly, a guess its just another nail in the psp's coffin.

System Shock 2 took weapon degradation a bit far though. I think any self respecting marine in the future could reasonable expect a pistol to chuck out a few rounds without breaking. It's not like it's getting sand inside is it?
Interesting how bioshock did away with all that. I would have though weapons that fired electric buck and flaming arrows would have degraded pretty rapidly with all that water round...

BonsaiK:

Dark Shikari:

He asked to name one game where weapon degradation was a good idea, not one game that was good and happened to have weapon degradation in it. Both System Shock 2 and Jagged Alliance 2 have weapon degradation and are good games, but both would be better off without it...

I would disagree on this one. Granted in SS2 it had been too much. It's okay if your guns don't last forever since it's all moving parts that can wear but in SS2 it had been too fast. JA2 on the other hand struck a nice balance. Weapons degrade but at a low pace. Unless you play Rambo shooting full auto all time you have to fix up your guns not very often ( and hey, for wtf else you have that russian guy on your team if not to repair all your equipment with his dim wits... :D )

Glee! hehe

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or