Zero Punctuation: Crysis

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

The main point of contention here is "Does this game's Atmosphere make up for some gameplay 'whoopsies' or the AI being superheroes and are the aliens really needed. They fight like the Xenomorphs 'aka the thing form the Aliens movies' crossed with a jellyfish." If you can overlook some gameplay flaws this game is definitely good not great but then again what is, besides Guild Wars, but seriously consider this if you are one of those people that likes killing Koreans and Aliens.

My $0.02 in this conversation. Now can Yahtzee please review something that warrants his attention. Like Timeshift or something. Something that needs a swift kick in the head

The video doesn't play on my computer. All I see is the egg. :(

I just switched to Ubuntu. I installed Adobe Flash for Linux, and can play YouTube and other video sites without a problem.

Does anyone have any advice?

uhhhhh SPOILER ALERT!?!??!??!

YOU MEAN TO TELL ME THIS GAME ISN'T BASED ON SLAUGHTERING ORIENTALS ON AN ISLAND???!?!
I want my money back AND a more informed therapist

blah

I don't hate Crysis because it's pretty.
I don't hate Crysis because it's slightly unrealistic with various bits and pieces.
I don't hate Crysis because it has high system requirements.
I don't hate Crysis because of the alien spaceship business.

I hate Crysis because the *actual gameplay itself* sucks a steaming pile of fresh poo.

Just putting that out there, because there seems to be some confusion.

You mean you don't enjoy turning invisible, grabbing a korean by the neck, and flinging him down a cliff?

You heartless monster!

I'm really reeaaaly torn on this one:
- on one side i'm very dissapointed as I was hoping you'd bash Crysis, you being the one games-are-art hippie I saw out there as a ray of hope
- but then again should i not have given up on PC gaming and had a rig from the future I have to be honest I might be tempted to the shallow "it are pretty!" side too...

crysis would be alright to play...if it wasn't a bitch to run

Spot on review as always. Brilliant humor, amazing analogies, and laugh-out-loud references (+5 for Shawshank) all around.

That being said, people seem to think that a PC capable of playing Crysis with all the sparkley effects turned on will cost them their first born. I just finished the game on high/very high settings @ 1680x1050 on a PC that cost less than $800.

my god wen u mentioned Andy i couldn't hold in the laughter anymore. great review you charismatic stallion :D

-V4lkz

I don't know why people complain about not having any ammo when you go into the space-ship... It's lying around in droves at the entrance after you kill the last koreans...
And there are caches of it inside as well, as the aliens apparently like collecting things from the outside (funny, considering that they have technology far supirior to our own, that they would start collecting car-tyres)...
And if you have trouble with the NK elites, just use either the Gauss-Rifle (will take them down in two shots) or incendiary rounds (a good salvo will take them down as well)...

My favorite part of the game is still the one at the harbor, before you go into the tank-section... Lots of fun to find there, and you're not just running lone-wolf in the jungle...

XaVierDK:
I don't know why people complain about not having any ammo when you go into the space-ship... It's lying around in droves at the entrance after you kill the last koreans...
And there are caches of it inside as well, as the aliens apparently like collecting things from the outside (funny, considering that they have technology far supirior to our own, that they would start collecting car-tyres)...
And if you have trouble with the NK elites, just use either the Gauss-Rifle (will take them down in two shots) or incendiary rounds (a good salvo will take them down as well)...

My favorite part of the game is still the one at the harbor, before you go into the tank-section... Lots of fun to find there, and you're not just running lone-wolf in the jungle...

Not to mention that you can punch the aliens to death! :D

BonsaiK:

blah

I don't hate Crysis because it's pretty.
I don't hate Crysis because it's slightly unrealistic with various bits and pieces.
I don't hate Crysis because it has high system requirements.
I don't hate Crysis because of the alien spaceship business.

I hate Crysis because the *actual gameplay itself* sucks a steaming pile of fresh poo.

Just putting that out there, because there seems to be some confusion.

Does anyone who hates the gameplay care to elaborate why exactly? Almost sounds like a lot of people that hate FPS bought this game then were surprised they didnt like it. I really dont get how an FPS fan could buy this FPS and of all things complain about the gameplay. Its like an RTS fan saying they hate Rome:Total War, and then not elaborating. It dont make a lot of sense.

Yes and saying 'the actual gameplay itself' sucks is a statement which definitely needs elaboration, in view of the fact that crysis is a game of two halves (well four fifths and a fifth sort of) each of which plays very differently. You can hate either the first part - action bubble shooter thing, or the second part - heavily scripted shooter thing.. You can't quite hate both!

I have to confess, I am hopelessly addicted to Zero Punctuation.
The series is a true original.

I would be greatly humbled if you would consider to share your opinion on the following games:

Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures
Pirates of the Burning Sea
Unreal Tournament 3
Gears of War (PC)
Call of Duty 4
Starcraft 2
Spore

Awaiting your next piece,
Jim

jimbobzeway:
I have to confess, I am hopelessly addicted to Zero Punctuation.
The series is a true original.

I would be greatly humbled if you would consider to share your opinion on the following games:

Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures
Pirates of the Burning Sea
Unreal Tournament 3
Gears of War (PC)
Call of Duty 4
Starcraft 2
Spore

Awaiting your next piece,
Jim

Jim your a ballsack.

i can solve a rubix cube with my elbows :)

Zephyr618:
i can solve a rubix cube with my elbows :)

Yahtzee´s lil´men don´t even HAVE elbows <.<

"Annoyance and failure" is totally priceless, love the completely unrelated cat pics.

This is ridiculous. You don't need a supercomputer to run Crysis on Very High settings at 1680*1050. I'm running it on a Vista machine, QX6700, 2GB (yes, only 2GB) RAM, and a single 8800GTX. I have all settings on Very High (with the exception of sound) and funnily enough, I've got a very pretty, very playable game. Granted, Australian PC prices are ridiculous compared to US prices (US folks have NO RIGHT to bitch about their prices) but 3500AUD is still fairly cheap for gaming machine.

That said, I found the Hard difficulty to be in some ways more difficult than Delta. Probably because in Hard I'd use tactics I would never dream of using in Delta (can you say full frontal assault?) but the VTOL section wasn't as terrible as most are making out. Yes, it's slow to respond - you're in a troop transport, not a fighter craft, and it's not intended to take on aerial opponents (that's why you have fighter support for troop drops).

Seems a lot of the bitching and complaining about Crysis is of the sort that is best summed up with how a parent tells a child they can't have something:

Parent: You can't have this.
Child: FINE! I DIDN'T WANT IT ANYWAY~!

Also, there's nothing quite like grabbing a Korean by the neck, tossing him into the air, and peppering his ragdolling body with bullets as he falls back to earth. How many games let you do that?

He didn't inherit his massive balls.
God I fell out of my seat laughing at that one.

Is sound actually difficult to render or something?

good games: ut3, cod4(online only), nfs-ps...

im not a big fan of crysis...
or farcry... iv never liked the whole one man army against an entire race kinda thing...
tho red faction was an exception minus the alien race...

i really liked crysis, tho my cheapy $280 pc plays it reasonably well...
and thats at 1024x768 (moniter wont go higher)
and with medium gfx which, isnt all that bad...

BlueMage:

Also, there's nothing quite like grabbing a Korean by the neck, tossing him into the air, and peppering his ragdolling body with bullets as he falls back to earth. How many games let you do that?

Erm...perhaps Half-Life 2 released almost four years ago? (If you change Korean to Combine Soldier)

Botond:

BlueMage:

Erm...perhaps Half-Life 2 released almost four years ago? (If you change Korean to Combine Soldier)

So that makes one game other than crysis :)

lol when i love it when he mentioned "i guess this is why pc nerds get big pc erections"

I think the super computer is needed to run Vista. Hence I stuck with XP on my new rig. In small writing on the back there are two specs, XP and Vista.

Cpu : Xp 2.0 or faster/ Vista 3.2 or faster
Ram: XP 1Gb / Vista 1.5 Gb
and so on.
I paid about $NZ2700 for my new system and a lot of that was on the 22 inch wide screen, and run it without any hassle at max detail 1650 x Whatever res. And I'd be suprised if the very high features add much more to the gameplay but I'll never know unless I one day get Vista.

Though I agree with pretty much everything else, a slightly above average fps. And if they haven't patched it yet, then it probably still has a very glitchy muiltiplayer as well. Blowing up in your AA tank on maps with FF on, just because you had the nerve to fire the main cannons is only funny the first time.

At the end of the day I clocked single player twice, so it can't be all bad, though I've since moved on to Hellgate: London and with that went my social life. o.0

BlueMage:
This is ridiculous. You don't need a supercomputer to run Crysis on Very High settings at 1680*1050. I'm running it on a Vista machine, QX6700, 2GB (yes, only 2GB) RAM, and a single 8800GTX. I have all settings on Very High (with the exception of sound) and funnily enough, I've got a very pretty, very playable game. Granted, Australian PC prices are ridiculous compared to US prices (US folks have NO RIGHT to bitch about their prices) but 3500AUD is still fairly cheap for gaming machine.

That said, I found the Hard difficulty to be in some ways more difficult than Delta. Probably because in Hard I'd use tactics I would never dream of using in Delta (can you say full frontal assault?) but the VTOL section wasn't as terrible as most are making out. Yes, it's slow to respond - you're in a troop transport, not a fighter craft, and it's not intended to take on aerial opponents (that's why you have fighter support for troop drops).

Seems a lot of the bitching and complaining about Crysis is of the sort that is best summed up with how a parent tells a child they can't have something:

Parent: You can't have this.
Child: FINE! I DIDN'T WANT IT ANYWAY~!

I just had to register after watching that review for the first time to say this:

BLOODY AWESOME SONG AT THE END!!!

*rocks out to gaybar*

While most of his ranting (level layout,pathing/pacing,ect) is correct the rest of of it felt like he was stretching/reaching/tryign to hard to be funny....

I ran Cryisis on low on a 6200OC ......it ran ok sure it looks like HL1 but it ran reasonable well (2GB ram 2Ghz CPU), I can run the game on medium with a 7600 and the same single core CPU and 2GB ramm.....

I have a 8800GT 610MB, 2.4 C2D with 2GB DDR2 800Mhz ramm now,it cost me about 700 minus 300 selling off my old parts.... and I had them for 2 years to boot...

In other words I dislike the geek bashing :P

on and yazthe dear play the game on hard where you die with 5 hits....

As for Far cry..it was not that hard...the mutants were fun :P
Its a shame 2 will be uber pussified....

And another thing I'll take my PC FPS controls over locked and limited ports like Bioshock...good god that was a horribly built game....

I can't be arse do get another gig of ram to play it or another graphics card. I just really want to play it now. Not have to sell a shit load of stuff to upgrade my 7 MONTH OLD pc. I have 2 gigs of ram (800 mhz, corsair *I think thats what it's called*), a Radion X1650 512 mb graphics card, a dual core Proc running at 3.4 ghz. Would this be enough to play it desently? or would I have to get a better everything?

damn this is why 360 is better than pc. you buy a game, you know it will run it without problems. you wont have to get anything else for about 4years. with a pc you have to upgrade drivers or get a new proccessor everyother day. just to complicated! >:(

Yes, Columbo is perfect. :) And the review was great too, I have to agree.

figure09:
damn this is why 360 is better than pc. you buy a game, you know it will run it without problems. you wont have to get anything else for about 4years. with a pc you have to upgrade drivers or get a new proccessor everyother day. just to complicated! >:(

That's unless your 360 goes up in flames, taking half your house away with it ;)

And if every 4 years you spend as much money on a pc as you'd have spent on a new console and high end tv, you'd be pretty much set for a long time too, and you'd have something that is still useful once it's no longer capable of playing the new games.

*realizes he has just jumped into the pc vs console war
*is afraid

Why didn't he talk about the tank battle. It thought it was one of the highlights of the game. But he was right about the rest of the vehicle sections. Perhaps he needs to replay the game. The first time I played it, I came away with many of the same opinions but the second and third times, I thought is was one of the greatest games I have ever played. Not quite to the Half Life standard but way better than your pedestrian shooters like Quake, Doom or Call of Duty 4 (most over-rated game this year).

As for the price of a computer to run it, it is not that high. And honestly, all we are really talking about is a graphics card because the game runs great on rather pedestrian hardware except at very high resolutions. I have a Core 2 Duo E6550 ($160) (which runs the game as fast as an Q6600) at stock speeds on an Intel G33 board ($90) with 4 Gb of RAM (2 when first playing it and have seen no difference in Crysis). You can get 2x 1 GB sticks of DDR2 800 from Patriot for $44 after rebate right now on Newegg. I use a fairly standard 250GB Western Digital HDD ($59) and a DVD burner with lightscribe ($30) and a 450 watt PSU ($75). The big thing is a graphics card. I have an XFX 8800GTS 320Mb XXX edition card. It was $300 in July but can now be had for as little as $170 online with a $20 rebate. XFX has now released there excellent 8800GS XXX card in the US which can be had for $170 and it is as powerful as my now aging GTS, has a nice price point, more memory and draws a lot less power which would save you less on your PSU. You could easily build a comparable rig with 4GB of RAM for less than $700 with a good case. Chances are, most people already have an OEM copy of windows XP which, if locked, can be unlocked using a free online utility.

As this is the only site where I cannot see video, and the only site that says I have to TURN OFF Ad-Block and No-Script, I have no opinion at all on these reviews as I have never been able to see them!

dear god...the spec on this game is nuts T_T...hint before you buy this game do the test to see if your pc can run it on the crysis website...

The enemies do not have bionic supervision. The trick to not being seen is to not stand up. You have to think like a soldier in a war-simulator and Crysis is exactly that and you've even been given a huge advantage with your suit. I think you're right btw, the suit is kind of sissy.

Oh and uh, there is no quicksave in Far Cry, you have to wait for checkpoints.

i seriously never laughed so hard in my entire freakin' life, i though i was constipating, i laughed so hard that my tears went to my knies and i farted a couple of times

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here