136: What Happened To The Last Starfighters?

Pages PREV 1 2

HalfShadow:
Yeah; after all, Xur is still out there.

Oh. Sorry. Different Last Starfighter

Maybe not so different. That movie embraced a lot what Space Flight Sim lovers love. I am sad it was only contained in under 2 hours. True the gunstar wasn't that sexy a ship, but I definitely got the feel that it was a powerhouse.
I miss Xwing Alliance and Tie Fighter....

First off, Wing Commander was my original game and to this day I fire up the DOSBox and give her a go. Actually, I find it's not just space sim games that have been going out, but there haven't been many games solely dedicated to flying, or so I've found. It's actually what made me pre-order (Yes PRE-ORDER) Hawx. It was literally the only joystick jockeying I'd had in YEARS. I know there are games like IL-2 but those were always way to complicated for my tastes. As for the controller issue, I think Freelancer pulled off the best "accessible" scheme. Though I stil would have liked to have seen stick support for that one.

I lost countless hours as a child playing on Tie fighter and X-wing (with the B-wing expansion of course!) and I have to say I would welcome a return to the genre.

I tried Eve online for a bit but it's lack of pace and the difficulties of a newb in that vast area of space show through pretty quickly once the pretty visuals lose their appeal and therefore fail to have their distracting effect.

Darkstar One tried to return to the genre but didn't match up to what the genre's fanbase wanted.

The trick is to get the games "easy to learn, hard to master". Mixing that depth but ease of access is vital to most games but absolutely necessary in the games discussed above, especially if you want to make it an open-world (spcae?) game in the RPGish vein rather than a linear space combat sim.

samsonguy920:

HalfShadow:
Yeah; after all, Xur is still out there.

Oh. Sorry. Different Last Starfighter

Maybe not so different. That movie embraced a lot what Space Flight Sim lovers love. I am sad it was only contained in under 2 hours. True the gunstar wasn't that sexy a ship, but I definitely got the feel that it was a powerhouse.
I miss Xwing Alliance and Tie Fighter....

Yeah Gunstar was ugly, but its the ugly ones you gotta keep an eyeout for, cause when least expect it...BAM! Your get yourself Death Blossm'd.

Maybe if they could figure out a way to combine a space sim like Freelancer with an FPS it would get the genre more attention.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here