Zero Punctuation: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Great review! Loved the fake Q.T.E on real life, and you are right, it was fun once in GoW, but after that it was easy. Now it's like spoting an ugly protaganist in any Western game that isn't Mass Effect. Again, great review!

You guys know Yahtzee was joking when he called console users dirty peasants in his Witcher review right. There is nothing wrong with console games and there is really nothing about them that ruins PC gaming. PC games tend to have more complex controls but that doesn't make them any better than a console version. And yes, a current gen console is about the cost of a low end PC, but the power and lifespan of that console is much longer, that's the trade off.

The first time we've seen Yahtzee's face in a video! Hooray!!

...I think I'm in love.

right in every area. Best review ive ever heard.

Has anyone else noticed that people normally refer to Yahtzee in the 3rd person, then as soon as he shows his face everyone suddenly starts speaking to him directly (especially on the first page of the thread)?

Also, that was obviously a seriously unflattering photo on the travelogue, compared to the video.

wyldefire:
If you watch the Mass Effect review he'll say dialogue should be "succinct and punchy," but then he criticizes the punchyness of Uncharted's dialogue. It's a no win situation.

Succinct and Punchy means to-the-point and clever, there has to be both elements. Both Mass Effect and Uncharted only seemed to do one of the two.

Cool seeing Yahtzee in person. I would have preferred he where the hat

Does anyone know the names of the 3 games that appeared in the first 20 seconds? I recognized parappa but didn't recognize the other two.

Another great review seeing the man behind the mic is great too.

Still reeling from the implied suggestion that Joss Whedon could have written anything nearly as bad as this game, but after that it turns into an absolutely fantastic review, with a twist halfway through that... well... startled me.

I was a little disappointed that the imp only showed up once in the video and once over the closing credits... I hope this doesn't mean he's leaving. :-(

wyldefire:
You guys know Yahtzee was joking when he called console users dirty peasants in his Witcher review right. There is nothing wrong with console games and there is really nothing about them that ruins PC gaming. PC games tend to have more complex controls but that doesn't make them any better than a console version. And yes, a current gen console is about the cost of a low end PC, but the power and lifespan of that console is much longer, that's the trade off.

just because Yahtzee MAY have been joking doesnt mean i am. i dont especialy want to get into a "your a consol retard/your a PC retard" debate. there isnt anything wrong with consols for alot of people. they are basicaly idiot proof and when it comes to electronics thats very importiant, anything that requires a moments thought or the ability to read instructions is bad when it comes to a mass market of any kind so consols are the answer to that. and despite my comments perhaps sounding snide they really arent ment to be, lifes pretty short and i can see how casual gamers wouldnt want to learn how to build or keep up with a PC in order to enjoy a game. its much better to just over pay for a system thats out of date (hardware wise) usualy the day it ships, and can only play games. its worth $600 to some people to only have to pop in a DVD and play. i on the other hand want some bang for my buck besides selecting between (or even all of) 5 'must have' titles that are just repeats of the last consols 'must have' titles only with a new gun that shoots lemons.

guess what im saying is that when i exit a game on my PC i get to do other things with it, like come here and laugh at consol players for one 8D

anyhow no one answered my question, was this a 'looked for' title for the PS3? was this one of the "franchise games" that are allways talked about that make people want to go spend $600 for consol just to play?

I was wondering why there were so many comments so early in the day (comparatively speaking) and now I know. Although like others before me, I have to wonder if none of you read the article where he visited Valve, because there were pics of him there.

Maybe it was me, but the review felt less confident than previous ones. I recall Yahtzee saying things about racism in games during previous reviews which started lengthy discussions in comments, but this time, the overall feeling seems to be "meh". I guess threatening to twist the hatred valve made me think he was going to unleash a big can o' heretofore unseen wrath, instead of just retreading over what he'd already said. And really, if you're going to complain about racism, why pepper your review with comments that are borderline sexist? Because there are no girls on the Internet?

Yahtzee was right about not censoring anything in his reviews. When you use less "bad words" than an average episode of "M*A*S*H" (the Colonel Potter years) then there's nothing to censor! Oh, Yahztee, you cheeky monkey. You're more clever than all of us combined.

SomeBlackGuy:

The same thing can be said about you

Is that supposed to be insulting or in any way accurate? Because it's just lame. Not surprised since you evidently let others do your thinking for you.

Notice how the number of comments is declining? I imagine hits are going down as well. Guy plays a new game every week and then does the same schtick. Gets tiresome. So now he's made himself a left-winger darling by talking about the nonexistent 'racism' of having dark-skinned people in games set in predominantly dark-skinned territories, and the 'pro-American jingoism' of American-made military games. Liberals are so hilarious. Does 'Cooking Mama' cause obesity, Yahtzee?

See what happens when you get famous based on a gimmick?

Generally I'm not the most ardent Zero Punctuation fan. But my hat is off this week-that was an excellent review of a truly banal game.

good one

HOLY SHIT you look like a cross between my science teacher and Weird Al Yankovic!

wyldefire:

I disagree, the console market is a "simplistic market" and can be easy to sale ....lesser than great titles and push them off as great, the PC market has more mature and critical members thus is harder to please thus harder to sale to when you make streamlined cash in products.

I am sorry there is a diffrance and its only been getting worse since gaming has gone console centric.
=====================
Wyatt
Not to mention at the end of the day PC games will have cheats in the form of trainers while not as great as cheat devices were its better than nothing to make a game a bit more playable.

I quite enjoy the witty humor. I imagined that Ben would look quite different; a hat with glasses and a sniper rifle not to say the least. His mustache makes him look very distinguished.

Where the hell is the cool hat that your "about the author" section talks about? I feel cheated.

Hexador:
Where the hell is the cool hat that your "about the author" section talks about? I feel cheated.

Could be a fedora I have one and even wear it when I am feeling ballsy. ^^

liberalfascism:

SomeBlackGuy:

The same thing can be said about you

Is that supposed to be insulting or in any way accurate? Because it's just lame. Not surprised since you evidently let others do your thinking for you.

Notice how the number of comments is declining? I imagine hits are going down as well. Guy plays a new game every week and then does the same schtick. Gets tiresome. So now he's made himself a left-winger darling by talking about the nonexistent 'racism' of having dark-skinned people in games set in predominantly dark-skinned territories, and the 'pro-American jingoism' of American-made military games. Liberals are so hilarious. Does 'Cooking Mama' cause obesity, Yahtzee?

See what happens when you get famous based on a gimmick?

I'm just saying you bitch alot for a person who seems to dislike his videos yet comes back and comments once and awhile, and possibly will be back next week to entertain us with another one of his "I hate yahtzee, omg he's a liberal fascist *salutes flag*" rants.

I don't think the numbers of comments are declineing, they all seem to get atleast above 100 comments, unfortuantly for you he still is popular.

He has a t.v spot on G4, he was invited to to make a video for GDC, got an invite to check out valve studios, his youtube videos have thousands of hits, and every week his videos get posted on popular gameing website's like Kotaku.

I understand you got "butthurt" when he made fun of the Americans but you need to grow up.

To those commenting on how young Yahtzee looks, get this: he's 24.

As a fellow writer who is both older (27) and an inferior scribe, that kind of depresses me.

Good review as always, but allow me for just a moment to go all fangirlish and say "YOU'RE SO CUTE!"

I was a bit surprised when you switched to webcam, you've never done that before but It was cool. It kind of gave me the sense that we were in the same room and you were talking to me. Keep up the good work!

Yahtzee refers to Asians and Blacks and Latinos as minorities in this review.

That's pretty curious from a frame-of-reference point a view. Last time I checked world population figures Asians are not a minority on Earth.

But they are if you're a British born White Boy raised to think of them as minorities. And no, it is not "IRONIC" that you decry racism while depicting Asians as having slit eyes. The word is "HYPOCRITICAL".

Oooh Yahtzee, you handsome devil!!

Yannow I have to thank you for doing all these reviews...me and my housemates look forward to every Wednesday to watch these and seeing actually you was startling...we often have your quips as our screennames...oh, and we live in WINCHESTER and can't walk past the cathedral without imagining someone's arse jammed on top of the left spire.

Best review so far and getting better with all this new stuff you are adding to it.

BTW, where is your hat and why do you look different from that pic you had on the valve thing? (obviously that might be your room mate pretending to be you, no ofense.)^_^

SongsOfDragons:

oh, and we live in WINCHESTER and can't walk past the cathedral without imagining someone's arse jammed on top of the left spire.

Never tell him how to do his job("NO DUHH" says the girls stalking him.)O_O

i wouldnt say its ironic to depict asians as having slit eyes either, id say its more in the realm of the obvious.

Really one of the best reviews to date, you still manage to surprise. Thumbs up and hat off to you.

On another note, I can't help but notice how some comment authors have not been paying attention to previous editions of ZP.

"Now we have a face to paste on this awesomeness", "I imagined you to be a lot older, the voice make you sound around 35", "I had imagined yahtzee as older", "OMG Yatzee's pretty young and accually pretty hot", "Dude I thought you were, like, 50", "I thought he said portal was [perfect]", etc.

Zero Punctuation: Call of Duty 4, 6 Feb 2008:
"Never let it be said that I am an impressionable twenty-something gaming media prick."

Yahtzee Visits Valve, a Travelogue, Nov 2007:
1st page, 2nd picture. 4th page, 1st picture.

Zero Punctuation: Call of Duty 4, 6 Feb 2008:
"[Call of Duty 4] is far from perfect."
Illustrated with a picture showing:
--[CoD4]------------------[Portal]----[Jesus]

Ben, you amazing stallion! I've seen you around Brisvegas before, I think. Down Queen Street Mall.

Hmm, let's see. A half-dozen or so new people who claim they "just registered now to tell Yahtzee how awesome he is" and another half-dozen first-time posters who attack Yahtzee's left-wing jibes, bash the console, and claim "this was the first ZP I haven't laughed at"... nope, nothing unusual here.

Pretty decent review. A few laughs. Not one of my favorites.
But it is nice to meet the face behind the voice behind the reviews.

You guys have the fourth wall wrong. Breaking the fourth wall is when a character directly addresses or acknowledges the presence of an audience, as opposed to not being aware of the audience at all. Like when Malcolm turns to the camera in Malcolm in the Middle. Yahtzee has always addressed us, the audience, so the fourth wall was broken from the very beginning.

This is not the first time Yahtzee has shown his face, there are pics of him on his visit to Valve.

As for the review, saying that Uncharted is racist is like saying Mass Effect has explicit sex scenes.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here