139: Fighting with Monsters

Fighting with Monsters

"Exactly how badly [Beyond Good & Evil] performed commercially is not widely known. For a company who made a game centered on a journalist searching for the truth, Ubisoft didn't make it easy for game journalists to get accurate sales numbers. Even six years after its release, no reliable sales figures are available. Michel Ancel was right when he discussed the game's theme of digging for the truth in an interview with GameSpy. 'Whether you are on one side or another,' he said, 'it's very hard to get real information.'"

Read Full Article

Hmm.

I'm not sure what to make of this. On one hand, you make some very interesting points on how 'BG&E' approaches morality in what you correctly identified as a highly Utilitarian, morally ambiguous manner, and it's a very pleasant read.

However, I can't help but feel that you danced around a wider topic without actually getting into it. I couldn't help but feel a shade disappointed that you didn't go into the application of philosophy in other games, but hey, you can't have everything.

A good article nonetheless.

I'll shut up now.

Really.

A great article one of my favourite games of all time.

Just a side note, the game was originally going to be called Between Good and Evil, which is more appropriate thematically. I don't think there was any reason given for the name change other than that "Beyond" sounded more interesting.

Beyond Good and Evil was definitely one of my favorites, and this article made me look on my experience with the game in a different light.

I had originally looked on the IRIS network as simply an underground resistance network, working with other sympathetic people to bring about change, using guerrilla tactics and media as their weapon to make the rest of the people rise up against the government. I have played so many other games, such as Final Fantasy VI or Final Fantasy VII, for example, where you play as a member of a resistance group trying to overthrow the government, that I guess I saw the IRIS network as just another resistance group. In FFVI and FFVII you are doing things that would be considered morally questionable, like the terrorist sabotage at the beginning of FFVII, that are supposed to advance the cause.

I had never considered before at looking at the IRIS network purely as a journalistic group, comparing them to war journalists. This article makes me want to play the game again (luckily I am not in the habit of selling my old games) to experience it from another angle.

Jackablade:
A great article one of my favourite games of all time.

Just a side note, the game was originally going to be called Between Good and Evil, which is more appropriate thematically. I don't think there was any reason given for the name change other than that "Beyond" sounded more interesting.

I thought the title referenced the Nietzsche quote, "That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil," and referred to the fact that, though her approach was utilitarian and practical, she acted because she loved her fellow Hillyans.

"In this respect, Jade's photography is the purest form of reporting. There is no slant or deviousness behind her photos. They are not altered in any way. They are a truthful and accurate representation of the facts without any personal comment."

This sentiment is appreciable, but while photography can approach something akin to an objective point of view free of commentary, there's still a person behind the lens making decisions. Every facet of photography has a human hand in it, and that photographer still has to make decisions in the arrangement of the shot. Those choices will influence the message of the photograph in one way or another, so there is always some discrepancy between a photograph and the subject itself, meaning there is always some level of commentary.

Incandescence:
This sentiment is appreciable, but while photography can approach something akin to an objective point of view free of commentary, there's still a person behind the lens making decisions. Every facet of photography has a human hand in it, and that photographer still has to make decisions in the arrangement of the shot. Those choices will influence the message of the photograph in one way or another, so there is always some discrepancy between a photograph and the subject itself, meaning there is always some level of commentary.

Yet another reason why objectivity in journalism is a myth and it's irresponsible to attempt to achieve it.

Joe:
Yet another reason why objectivity in journalism is a myth and it's irresponsible to attempt to achieve it.

Surely you don't mean "irresponsible?" Journalism must be as objective as possible and the fact that pure objectivity is impossible should not stop reporters from trying.

I would hate to think that "news" is suddenly no more than a Network Blog where whoever is reporting gets to decide what I should know.

"Jade is far removed from the good-guy cliche of the industry."

Oh come on! She takes care of ORPHANS, for Pete's sake. She may pilfer pearls, but they made sure she had her Mother Teresa hat on first.

LisaB1138:
Surely you don't mean "irresponsible?" Journalism must be as objective as possible and the fact that pure objectivity is impossible should not stop reporters from trying.

You may like continually rolling a stone up a hill, but me, I'd rather just make my bias and opinion known. It's more honest that way.

Fun times. They love teaching objectivity in J school, but the concept only came around when the big networks were afraid they'd get broken up by anti-trust laws if they didn't try to sell the "reporter as recorder" line.

Ah, but you write to entertain people first, and inform them second.

And yes, I am perfectly aware of the irony in that statement.

yeah... a game where you get to play Peter Parker (not spiderman).

Great article, you really succeeded in analyzing Jade in an interesting way. I love BG&E, it was fun as hell. Too bad that I couldn't get to the end because of a glitch. :(

Grenbyron:
yeah... a game where you get to play Peter Parker (not spiderman).

If you think that of BG&E, you have obviously not played it. It's more than that. It has a deep and touching story, a great sense of art, but most importantly, it's a great stealth/action game (although I feel they didn't make full use of the stealth aspect, I'd like some more stealth parts that would test your timing and observation to the fullest)

Man I remember playing that game!
It was awesome, of course I never could finish it what with the crazy view thing they do with the last boss.
Of course I was a little green then and didn't see the game in that aspect. More so the game play.
A cool take on it I must say.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here