Zero Punctuation: Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Ah, Mr. Croshaw, if I could have a moment of your time. I just had a couple of questions. Could I ask you where exactly they took my head? You see, I'm awfully fond of it, and if you could just give me some contact information, well, it'd be a great help.

MasterOfHisOwnDomain:
^^

Lol, cannon fodder..
Anyways (another) nice review Yahtzee, but how about tearing into the classics instead of slowly tripping into the main stream games?

The classics do not need reviewing, they have already been reviewed extensively.

myopiczeal:
Also not trying to trouble the waters, but here you go...

Thank you very much.

As to the podcasts - people who buy an iPod Nano would be among the just jogging people. I, on the other hand, use it for passing time on public transport, or when I'm working.

People who own an iPod video however, bought it forthe express purpose of watching movies. These are the people who a ZP podcast would be perfect for.

Also, for good podcasts, search Chaser, and watch Osama Bin Laden penetrate APEC security with ease.

For the uninitiated: 'Newspaper under door to get key' is the mother of all adventuring clichés. It was a joke.

I thought it was the secret area behind the waterfall?

The_root_of_all_evil:

For the uninitiated: 'Newspaper under door to get key' is the mother of all adventuring clichés. It was a joke.

No, no, no, that's the mother of all (J)RPG clichés.

Thisusernameisjustanotherwasteofspace:

The_root_of_all_evil:

No, no, no, that's the mother of all (J)RPG clichés.

No, thats the Kraken/Octopus/Tentacle fiend boss, which leads to some very disturbing fan art.

Uszi:

Mr.Dillinger:
There are SO MANY bitches in the gaming world. Most of you all included.

The reason for a game review is to have the person who is reviewing it let us know if it is a worthy game or not. And while Yahtzee has come up with a fantastically (no sucking of arse intended) comical way of doing this, you all seem to have a problem with him doing it with the top selling games of today.

Classic examples are the Halo 3 & Call of Duty 4 installments of Zero Punctuation.

Now forgive me for thinking, because I've discovered that thinking can get you into trouble in todays world...BUT...Have you bitching excuses of game loving human beings ever thought, 'wow...this guy may be right...maybe the game does deserve praise (or rejection)' instead of saying 'I'm disappointed with this, CoD4 is so generic, Halo 3 was amazing, blah, blah, blah, review something l ike 'The Diamondin the Rough that Nobody Cares About'.

If I was Yahtzee, I would throw in the towel because my fan base is 98% made up of fucken retarded piranhas's, but I guess it pays the gas bill, so why not live off your stupidity.

Indigo_Dingo:
I say, if you fuckers can't handle being told something that doesn't fit in to your predisposed and uninformed opinions (like, say, that the Wii actually has good games, while the Xbox 360's supposed core game is overrated), go and shove your head up a martians ass, as thats the only way you're not going to come into contact with any information you don't want to hear. Well, that, or implant yourself in the American Bureaucracy.

Sounds like both of you need a nappy-poo to me. I'm pretty sure that someone is allowed to form an opinion based on any amount of information they feel is necessary, and that the internet gives them a tool to articulate it.

What I'm tired of is people who seem to think that they're better than everyone else on the internet because they use nasty words to form their opinions, while speaking with some sort of air of authority. You have none.

While I do agree with some of what you say here, I must say. That when somebody DOES form an opinion, they SHOULD have the necessary 'information' you speak of, to do so. Most of these morons DO NOT. If you actually watch and listen to Yahtzee's reviews. They are funny yes, but they also really do key into valid points of a game that other reviewers (and moron fans) don't. Most (NEGATIVE) opinions here are based only on what the individual THINKS is correct without really backing it up.

So, I'm sorry, but unless you, or anybody else who mouths off about Yahtzee in a negative way can do a similar thing as he and make me interested in what you have to say, backed up with hard facts and evidence. Unless you can do that...Please suck a bag of dicks in hell and shut the fuck up.

Peace.

Mr.Dillinger:

While I do agree with some of what you say here, I must say. That when somebody DOES form an opinion, they SHOULD have the necessary 'information' you speak of, to do so. Most of these morons DO NOT. If you actually watch and listen to Yahtzee's reviews. They are funny yes, but they also really do key into valid points of a game that other reviewers (and moron fans) don't. Most (NEGATIVE) opinions here are based only on what the individual THINKS is correct without really backing it up.

So, I'm sorry, but unless you, or anybody else who mouths off about Yahtzee in a negative way can do a similar thing as he and make me interested in what you have to say, backed up with hard facts and evidence. Unless you can do that...Please suck a bag of dicks in hell and shut the fuck up.

Peace.

You, sir, are one of the people who are fair enough to recognize this. Any person who defend their uninformed opinion from other ones that are based on facts is, realistically, the very definition of an idiot. Maybe not the actual definition, but a good one.

Let me just say that I am open to criticism upon most of my opinions (You can understand that I don't like people insulting my religion). However, this criticism should generally be based around facts, not opinions.

For my needs (a minorly near-sighted gamer who has a relatively wide taste in games, with slight violent tendencies and a thirst for intellectual challenge) the ps3 is the best console choice. That is my opinion. If Yahtzee were to come along and say that the oncoming release o a stealth series that blends Hitmans idea of hiding in plain sight with an open world environment with a mix of the innocent and the guilty were coming exclusively to the XBox 360, I would consider that the 360 might be the better console for me. I would also curse it, as I already have the Ps3.

By contrast, most of the people here seem to, when faced with opinions that are incompatable with their own opinions (That Halo 3 was relatively Mediocre, that the Wii is shaping up to be better than it originally looked) they blame the first opinions as biased and refuse to look at them.

Lastly, I'd like to point out that the Imperial system of measurement (including of temperature) is, in my opinion, stupid. Anyone who wishes to say why they think a series of random numbers and names, as opposed to the base ten counting system, is intelligent, may reply.

I don't believe I actually registered to post that I actually enjoyed "Behind Closed Doors" by Zenobi Softare which was referred to in the end credits (subtlety referenced of course).

Yes I'm that sad :)

And those who don't know what I am on about that is how you get out in the game. And is what the newspaper under door and push key thing is about.

Indigo_Dingo:
You, sir, are one of the people who are fair enough to recognize this. Any person who defend their uninformed opinion from other ones that are based on facts is, realistically, the very definition of an idiot. Maybe not the actual definition, but a good one.

Let me just say that I am open to criticism upon most of my opinions (You can understand that I don't like people insulting my religion). However, this criticism should generally be based around facts, not opinions.

For my needs (a minorly near-sighted gamer who has a relatively wide taste in games, with slight violent tendencies and a thirst for intellectual challenge) the ps3 is the best console choice. That is my opinion. If Yahtzee were to come along and say that the oncoming release o a stealth series that blends Hitmans idea of hiding in plain sight with an open world environment with a mix of the innocent and the guilty were coming exclusively to the XBox 360, I would consider that the 360 might be the better console for me. I would also curse it, as I already have the Ps3.

By contrast, most of the people here seem to, when faced with opinions that are incompatable with their own opinions (That Halo 3 was relatively Mediocre, that the Wii is shaping up to be better than it originally looked) they blame the first opinions as biased and refuse to look at them.

Lastly, I'd like to point out that the Imperial system of measurement (including of temperature) is, in my opinion, stupid. Anyone who wishes to say why they think a series of random numbers and names, as opposed to the base ten counting system, is intelligent, may reply.

lol, my friend, you are a legend.

Mr.Dillinger:

Indigo_Dingo:

lol, my friend, you are a legend.

That would have been more touching if you hadn't said Lol.

Wait...you're saying that the thing is bad for actually benefiting mankind by working on curing diseases? (at the moment Alzheimer's and other forms of mental health breakdown) Dude, seriously. This I really do not get, how a person can be so callous as to think that curing disease is a bad thing.

As a matter of fact, I F@H on my PC and I'm doing it right now. OK, it's not as useful for the floating-point stuff which F@H does (which is why certain ATI graphics cards make my PC's folding performance look like the efforts of a crippled donkey) as a PS3 would be, but I expect that not even 10% of all PS3 owners actually fold with their consoles. The increased flexibility of a PC platform (especially the x86/x64 chipset, which is used in a large amount of the world's supercomputers) means that more can be done with it in terms of the computing tasks that it could carry out in a distributed computing layout.

Interestingly, I wish to go into the area of medicine or medicinal research as a career, and I'm currently studying medicinal chemistry at college, so the concept of helping people and curing disease is right up my alley, if you catch my drift.

Finally, in my insufferable PC gamer manner, I'll tell you the reasons why I dislike the PS3 as it currently stands. Some of these points also refer to the Xbox 360, so I'm not being completely prejudiced solely towards the PS3.

Firstly, it's too expensive in Europe. Way too expensive, like €450 for a 40GB model, which can't even play PS2 games - unlike my PC. Hmmm.

Secondly, along with the Xbox 360, it can be blamed for the modern idea of "dumbing games down so that console players can play them". COD4, while a good game, had some weaknesses which I felt were enough to slightly irritate me, mainly interface-related, but also the fact that it didn't even dare to have graphical settings high enough to test my PC, and that's not something I expect in a brand-new game. The only relatively new game I've played recently that actually feels like a PC exclusive, rather than something which they had to cram all the functions into a joypad, is Crysis. It looks like even games such as Operation Flashpoint 2 and ArmA 2, both military simulators which really need those extra buttons that you get on a keyboard, are going to the PS3 and 360. And that annoys me beyond belief.

Thirdly, again along with the Xbox 360, and somewhat related to the last point, its hardware specifications limit the graphical standards of cross-platform games. OK, you can get a lot out of a PS3 or even an Xbox 360, but try doing that with draw distances of 4km or more - my PC can handle that in the likes of ArmA: Armed Assault, where such long draw distances make sense.

But even though I've had opposition in the past to the PlayStation 2, the Xbox 360, the Xbox and the PlayStation, I've learned to accept and even like all of these consoles. I own a PS2 and several PlayStations. It'll just take a hell of a super game to turn me towards liking the PS3. Something like Gran Turismo 5. (I'm a huge car enthusiast. Gran Turismo 4 was the game which convinced me to buy a PS2.)

I'm up for that challenge. What I see as the reason of the retaining of the imperial system of measurement is the fact that people who have grown up with imperial measures, even with metric measures in their lifestyle, seem to be able to relate to the most common units of imperial measurement much quicker than they could the metric units of measure. For instance, I could tell you, give or take, how much an inch was, or how much a foot was, but I couldn't for the life of me estimate the same thing in centimetres. Same for miles per hour - I know what 30mph feels like, or 60mph, but I couldn't tell you what 70kph was like without some internal calculations to turn it back to MPH.

In the world of cars, it's even easier to relate to imperial measures. I can tell the difference between 100 horsepower and 200 horsepower (and definitely the difference between 200 and 1000 horsepower), but I wouldn't have a clue what the equivalents were in kilowatts. Same for torque - foot pounds are more intuitive to me than newtons in terms of telling the difference. And how about that stupid metric way of telling petrol mileage - litres per 100km? That just drives me round the bend (pun not intended). I can tell the difference between a 20mpg car and a 40mpg car, and tell whether that petrol mileage is good for the weight and power of the car. If you asked me to do that in litres per 100km, my head would explode. That measurement, L/100km, is the only metric measurement which I find completely unintuitive.

loved it. Funniest one in a long time...

RTR:
WHy is Yahtzee eliminating his old reviews from this website?

He isn't, it's just that the Escapist's archival code for Zero Punctuation appears to be borked; the third page of reviews does exist, it just can't be reached without URL manipulation.

RAKtheUndead:

Secondly, along with the Xbox 360, it can be blamed for the modern idea of "dumbing games down so that console players can play them". COD4, while a good game, had some weaknesses which I felt were enough to slightly irritate me, mainly interface-related, but also the fact that it didn't even dare to have graphical settings high enough to test my PC, and that's not something I expect in a brand-new game. The only relatively new game I've played recently that actually feels like a PC exclusive, rather than something which they had to cram all the functions into a joypad, is Crysis. It looks like even games such as Operation Flashpoint 2 and ArmA 2, both military simulators which really need those extra buttons that you get on a keyboard, are going to the PS3 and 360. And that annoys me beyond belief.

Now that is hardly fair. In contrast to the 360 line up, there are a number of rather intruiging and intense games for the Ps3. Heavenly sword, while rather short, brings too it a seamless blending of FPS action with hack and slash, both requiring a large amount of finese and thought, instead of just randomly mashing buttons or simply shooting at anything that moves. In addition, afterthought requires a feather touch, which makes it definitely not something for the drinking frat boys demographic, which is what i assume you are referring to when you cite the dumbing down of games.

To be perfectly honest, off the top of my head, the only example I can think of of a game being dumbed down is in a lot of the modern stealth games, you can just run through with two guns shooting at everything that moves and come out fine. But what are some other examples?

RAKtheUndead:

I'm up for that challenge. What I see as the reason of the retaining of the imperial system of measurement is the fact that people who have grown up with imperial measures, even with metric measures in their lifestyle, seem to be able to relate to the most common units of imperial measurement much quicker than they could the metric units of measure. For instance, I could tell you, give or take, how much an inch was, or how much a foot was, but I couldn't for the life of me estimate the same thing in centimetres. Same for miles per hour - I know what 30mph feels like, or 60mph, but I couldn't tell you what 70kph was like without some internal calculations to turn it back to MPH.

In the world of cars, it's even easier to relate to imperial measures. I can tell the difference between 100 horsepower and 200 horsepower (and definitely the difference between 200 and 1000 horsepower), but I wouldn't have a clue what the equivalents were in kilowatts. Same for torque - foot pounds are more intuitive to me than newtons in terms of telling the difference. And how about that stupid metric way of telling petrol mileage - litres per 100km? That just drives me round the bend (pun not intended). I can tell the difference between a 20mpg car and a 40mpg car, and tell whether that petrol mileage is good for the weight and power of the car. If you asked me to do that in litres per 100km, my head would explode. That measurement, L/100km, is the only metric measurement which I find completely unintuitive.

O.k., so if you (please pardon me including you in this way) old farts cannot manage to think in Centimeters, Liters, kilowatts (I'll admit this one is bad, as its the setup for the lamest ad ever) etc., why not educate your kids so that the problem can be stopped at your generation?

O.k., so if you (please pardon me including you in this way) old farts cannot manage to think in Centimeters, Liters, kilowatts (I'll admit this one is bad, as its the setup for the lamest ad ever) etc., why not educate your kids so that the problem can be stopped at your generation?

Because you young ragamuffins can't even learn to spell Centimetres, Litres and Kilowatts. And things were better in our days when the only wars we had were how to get past the Banyan Tree.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Because you young ragamuffins can't even learn to spell Centimetres, Litres and Kilowatts. And things were better in our days when the only wars we had were how to get past the Banyan Tree.

The fucking spellchecker did it. I wasn't paying that much attention. And I would like to point out the Cheney and Bush are all firmly in your generation.

To be perfectly honest, off the top of my head, the only example I can think of of a game being dumbed down is in a lot of the modern stealth games, you can just run through with two guns shooting at everything that moves and come out fine. But what are some other examples?

I haven't played it, and my opinions are clouded by the fact that I am also one of the hooting dickholes of the Fallout fan community, but I'd include The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion in this list as well. Associated with the whole stealth games of late, I'd put Rainbow Six: Vegas in here as well - regenerating health is anathema to a mil-sim player like myself, more particularly in games which actually have pretensions of being mil-sims or at least mil-sim related.

To be fair, a large amount of these ports are on the Xbox rather than the PS3, so I'd include BioShock among that lot as well. I played through System Shock 2, and in fact, I loved it so much that it's one of the few games that I'd recommend to any computer gamer. The inventory system, as Yahtzee told us, is almost non-existent now, and the roleplaying elements are few compared to SysShock 2.

In contrast to the 360 line up, there are a number of rather intruiging and intense games for the Ps3. Heavenly sword, while rather short, brings too it a seamless blending of FPS action with hack and slash, both requiring a large amount of finese and thought, instead of just randomly mashing buttons or simply shooting at anything that moves.

I think the games that I'd be looking forward to on the PS3 are those such as Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (I liked the original MGS, and I wish they'd do something like translate Metal Gear 2 into English), or Grand Theft Auto 4 (please let it get a PC release!). The big hitters, in other words, which I've traditionally bought consoles for. As intriguing as some of the other games for a console platform may be, I tend to stick to the most highly rated ones, which might mean that I lose out on some of the experiences that are available for the console, but I think I've played enough obscure games on the PC to counter that.

Your comment is excused - I'm one of the "oldest" 19-year-olds you'll hear of. The fact is that we're locked into the mindset. Of course, continental Europe's going to make us change; in Ireland, we've officially changed almost everything into metric.

But because I've digressed for too long, let me say that this is an excellent effort as always, Yahtzee, if slightly disturbing.

Mr.Dillinger:

Peace.

Your naughty language has hurt my feelings, and I have decided to change my ways.
You could teach Socrates a thing or two about debate.

Uszi:
Your naughty language has hurt my feelings, and I have decided to change my ways.
You could teach Socrates a thing or two about debate.

While I'm on the subject, this concept is bullshit. Swear-words are not, at some deep level, harmful, they are just words denoting a different degree of strength. Banning fuck or shit makes about as much sense as banning the words "Splendid" or "swiftly".

Indigo_Dingo:
While I'm on the subject, this concept is bullshit. Swear-words are not, at some deep level, harmful, they are just words denoting a different degree of strength. Banning fuck or shit makes about as much sense as banning the words "Splendid" or "swiftly".

Amen. Actually, if people thought about swear words this way, swear words would lose their impact in a sentence. Funny how that works, you know?

Chaosthief:

Indigo_Dingo:

Amen. Actually, if people thought about swear words this way, swear words would lose their impact in a sentence. Funny how that works, you know?

No, they would still be known to denote different degree's of things. That's how we know, when something is extremely fractured, that it is more severe than if it were minorly fractured. When something is fucked up, it is severely wrong,, and everyone can recognise that.

Hate to butt-in, but upon hearing that the characters in Zack & Wiki were voiceless, grunting/shrieking creatures, I quickly thought of one game: Banjo & Kazooie. At least that eventually had a character that made made suggestive 'ahh's to lighten the mood. Ugh, please tell me there's at least one person who maniacally laughs for their dialogue, that would excuse a lot.

I think swear words are some of the best words english has to offer, not the worst. They can be used for *so many* different things, and everyone will know exactly what you're saying.

That only applies to fuck, which can be used in every form, as every part of a sentence.

"Fuck, the fucked fuckers are fucking fucked!"

Indigo_Dingo:
I wasn't paying that much attention. And I would like to point out the Cheney and Bush are all firmly in your generation.

Dude, Reagan and Thatcher were my generation and I regret it every day of my life.

Uszi:

Indigo_Dingo:

And how may people carry their Mp3 with them a lot? I'd say, all of us. Thats what it was made for, genius, portable high volume of data in a playable form.

And I'd say I can think of a lot of people who only use it when they are going for a jog, walking to class, or driving in the car. In those cases, many of those people specifically want to listen to music for those activities. In that sense, I'd disagree: definitely not all of you carry it around all the time. Unless things are different in Australia.

Or one thing I had in mind when I made my original post:
If you want an uncomfortable experience, then put in your ear-buds and listen to something funny in a public place. If you're walking down the street, laughing historically at say, Mitch Hedberg, everyone else will give you a very strange, uncomfortable look, questioning your sanity.
So I know that I, and many other people, usually save funny material for when you're by yourself or in the company of some friends.

You should probably stick with C.D.s if you leave it in the car.

Cheaper, less work, easier to organize if I forgo CDs.

So the market for this would be pretty huge.

As huge as there are ZP fans who have portable devices who would want to carry ZP around with them all the time.

My two cents: I carry my iPod with me virtually all the time (in case anyone particularly cares, it's a first-gen 1GB Nano), I like to listen to ZP while doing other things*, and I'd very much appreciate having the opportunity to combine the two.

*In my opinion, the backbone of the reviews is the writing, which is mostly contained in the soundtrack; both the soundtrack and the animation complement each other and are best viewed together, but the former is capable of standing on its own for me whereas the latter is reduced to a string of absurd and apparently unconnected (although still often comical) images when the sound is muted.

Cameoflage:

My two cents: I carry my iPod with me virtually all the time (in case anyone particularly cares, it's a first-gen 1GB Nano), I like to listen to ZP while doing other things*, and I'd very much appreciate having the opportunity to combine the two.

Same here, cept mines a four gig. But its still 1st gen, and in pretty good shape. I even dropped it from two storys once, it's fine. I bought some of these rubber cases, it makes it twice the size but it'll absorb anything.

Oh and Yahtzee, Kudos for Captain Pugwash.

*ponders digging up the 'name of the cabin boy myth'*

FujinAkari:

The classics do not need reviewing, they have already been reviewed extensively.

Finally the answer to 1/2 the posts I have seen in the past weeks, as much as I enjoy the idea of some older games being reviewed on ZP it just wouldn't work. Heck there is already enough reference to the classics in Yahtzee's reviews to know his take on them so lets just see what comes out next its always a surprise, he doesn't go with the latest and greatest in the media's eye which I think adds a lot to the reviews.

Yet another magnificent review from Yahtzee, may his thumbs only quicken with passing time and his wiimote never torpedo his tv screen of reviewing genius.

Best part: Describing the motions of turning the big wheel, the animations to illistrate the complexity of the action required was hilarious :P

Having read some first comments, this is certainly not bottom barrel, its a major release for the Wii which if you must look at iot that way is rather depressing, non the less adventure games are rathe excellent when they're paired with an equally excellent story. I'd personally love to see a review for Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion or Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction, I guess we'll just have to sit and wait [atiently until he who is Yahtzee deems our wishes worthy of his supreme game reviewing wisdom.

This reviews spotlight yet another of Ben's good qualities. Ben not only has wit and intellect but also has a sense of history. So many gamers can't think before 2003. I played Pong. New. Out of the box. Still have my Atari 2600. Coded on a TRS-80 Model I, Level II 16K expandable to a whoppin 64K ram. Floppies? Screw that kids, you stored data on tapes. Wanted to play a game but not buy it? You bought a magazine and hand coded the program from the magazine into the machine line by line.

Good job Ben. He's fixated on boner/dildo and whacking off jokes now but does not carry them overboard. Well, not too badly anyway.

Vitalix

P.S. Ever wonder if Yahtzee ever reads these threads? Or cares? Something tells me he'd spit on us all collectively if he could just cough up enough phlegm.

P.S. Ever wonder if Yahtzee ever reads these threads? Or cares? Something tells me he'd spit on us all collectively if he could just cough up enough phlegm.

I think there's ample reason to suspect he reads the threads; and as for phlegm, how do you think he accumulates enough bile for the reviews?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here