Zero Punctuation: Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

After playing Zack and Wiki, I pretty much agree with the review. Nothing was more annoying than dying by merely trying to be curious.

Indigo_Dingo:
That only applies to fuck, which can be used in every form, as every part of a sentence.

"Fuck, the fucked fuckers are fucking fucked!"

I just had to. http://youtube.com/watch?v=28YogJuMUBs

Indigo_Dingo:

Uszi:
Your naughty language has hurt my feelings, and I have decided to change my ways.
You could teach Socrates a thing or two about debate.

While I'm on the subject, this concept is bullshit. Swear-words are not, at some deep level, harmful, they are just words denoting a different degree of strength. Banning fuck or shit makes about as much sense as banning the words "Splendid" or "swiftly".

Yes, but if one can't write even a few sentences without multiple f-bombs, then I would say that person is inarticulate. The same goes for if you overused the word splendid, the only difference being that no one ever got offended because someone told them to "go splendid themselves."

The point: let's all take it easy on the swearing.

Spot-on perfect, pulitzer-prize-worthy review, EXCEPT for that bizarre lapse in logic where you failed to realize that Zack & Wiki was one of the 5-in-6, illogical, irritating all-around hateful Point-n-Click adventures.

I still think you deserve the prize, but your roommate may deserve it more.

Indigo_Dingo:

While I'm on the subject, this concept is bullshit. Swear-words are not, at some deep level, harmful, they are just words denoting a different degree of strength. Banning fuck or shit makes about as much sense as banning the words "Splendid" or "swiftly".

Did I say that? No.

It's actually that precise respect for our four letter words that creates the argument to not use them a hundred times per post. Someone already mentioned it: if you use them excessively, or as a crutch in communicating your message they are highly ineffective.

For instance, the post I was reponding to:

Mr.Dillinger:

...So, I'm sorry, but unless you, or anybody else who mouths off about Yahtzee in a negative way can do a similar thing as he and make me interested in what you have to say, backed up with hard facts and evidence. Unless you can do that...Please suck a bag of dicks in hell and shut the fuck up. ...

Could you make an argument for swear words used effectively here? Not really. They're tacked on as an after thought, and used more to try and make the message sound overtly threatening then to emphasize some particular point or feeling. The post is every bit as effective without that last sentence. It's only purpose is an attempt to try and make me shut up out of fear for being cursed at, which is exactly the way that a 12-year-old swears, as opposed to a grown man.

Hence, my tongue in cheek reply, and the continuing need for Mr. Dillinger to take a nap and have a bottle and a burp before he sits down at his computer to reply to me.

Your post, on the other hand contains one swear word, used in a more precise manner. You don't dilute it with excessive swearing, in relation to what your post was about.
Kudos.

Fair enough. But if we get back to Mr. Dillinger and my point - that being that it is fundamentally stupid to avoid something simply because it brings up things that jeopardizes your opinion.

Indigo_Dingo:

Cameoflage:

My two cents: I carry my iPod with me virtually all the time (in case anyone particularly cares, it's a first-gen 1GB Nano), I like to listen to ZP while doing other things*, and I'd very much appreciate having the opportunity to combine the two.

Same here, cept mines a four gig. But its still 1st gen, and in pretty good shape. I even dropped it from two storys once, it's fine. I bought some of these rubber cases, it makes it twice the size but it'll absorb anything.

Heh, awesome. That kind of indestructibility is actually why I chose to buy mine (although being an Apple fangirl couldn't have hurt), although it hasn't been necessary because I obsessively protect it from everything up to and including scratches.

I now officially hate Yahtzee, I just HAD to see what de-rez was, just had to. Those are minutes of my life I will never get back again.

O.k., for people who still complain about Yahtzees attitude towards Halo - the fact of the matter is, its simply not satisfactory, at least not from a marketing P.O.V.. Look at it this way. Satisfaction is the level of actual value, minus the amount of expected value. If Halo 3 was hyped up to a practically mythical status, and turned out to be a so-so shooter, then obviously its not going to be satisfactory. If they had done a little less hype, I doubt he would have sliced and diced so deep.

Indigo_Dingo:
O.k., for people who still complain about Yahtzees attitude towards Halo - the fact of the matter is, its simply not satisfactory, at least not from a marketing P.O.V.. Look at it this way. Satisfaction is the level of actual value, minus the amount of expected value. If Halo 3 was hyped up to a practically mythical status, and turned out to be a so-so shooter, then obviously its not going to be satisfactory. If they had done a little less hype, I doubt he would have sliced and diced so deep.

Please don't say "the fact of the matter" when what you really mean is "the opinion of the matter." We get it... you, along with half the internet, think Halo is mediocre. That doesn't change the FACT that it's sold a few more copies than Wank and Sticky and the FACT that your opinion is not a fact. I'm not trying to pick a fight, it's just my biggest pet peeve.

m_jim:

Indigo_Dingo:

Please don't say "the fact of the matter" when what you really mean is "the opinion of the matter." We get it... you, along with half the internet, think Halo is mediocre. That doesn't change the FACT that it's sold a few more copies than Wank and Sticky and the FACT that your opinion is not a fact. I'm not trying to pick a fight, it's just my biggest pet peeve.

I didn't use the phrase in that way. I was saying that it is a fact that when something doesn't live up to the hype, it is unsatisfactory.

Indigo_Dingo:
]I didn't use the phrase in that way. I was saying that it is a fact that when something doesn't live up to the hype, it is unsatisfactory.

Ah! Misplaced modifiers will kill you every time, my friend.

http://www.acid-play.com/download/7-days-a-skeptic/

The sequel to 5 day's a stranger the first of the Trilby games.

AND there is an actual plot (although I was too impatient and had to use a walkthrough D:)
But Yahtzee writes some creepy stuff sometimes O_O

Enjoy

This is halarious. it really sucks that the aussies have their game releases delayed so far back. i can't imagine how halarious a super smash bros brawl review would be. :D

cutekittenkyti:
http://www.acid-play.com/download/7-days-a-skeptic/

The sequel to 5 day's a stranger the first of the Trilby games.

AND there is an actual plot (although I was too impatient and had to use a walkthrough D:)
But Yahtzee writes some creepy stuff sometimes O_O

Enjoy

7DAS is my favorite of the Chzo Mythos. Most atmospheric, most scary, only one with a real element of danger.

Notes the interface is difficult.
6DAS the puzzles are way easy.
5DAS is pretty good.

Poll for the next game review:
Something Obscure, or something Famous?
Or-- A late April Fool's day joke from the Escapist?

jeanpitre:
This is halarious. it really sucks that the aussies have their game releases delayed so far back. i can't imagine how halarious a super smash bros brawl review would be. :D

I dunno, its not like there's a lot he could criticize about it. Its funny (which is rare for a Japanese game), its added some new spins, its a solid concept, its got great replay value. If he actually reviews this game, it might be fork-in-eye time. Same with Rock Band and Resistance.

Man I didn't even know Wank and Sticky (teehee) even existed! No wonder that bloody Wii is only gathering dust (waiting for Super Smash Bros, mind).

Anyhell, each time I think Yahtzee might be running out of steam, he pimp-slaps me and puts me in my place. Well done, sir!

"Wank and sticky" instant classic joke for the ZP library.

Yahtzee Croshaw:
Zero Punctuation: Zack & Wiki

This week on Zero Punctuation, Zack & Wiki and a whole lot of dongs.

Best review ever. Wank and Sticky! Hells yeah :D

I know I'm chronically late to say this, but did anyone else think that a certain online encyclopedia had found a way to turn itself into a game?

I liked the game, but I don't agree with Yahtzee with the whole idea to kill the franchise.
Also, OMG! Did someone really make a drawing of a nude Peach?! WTF?!

Hmm... all of a sudden, this video isn't loading for me. The other ZP reviews are loading fine, but this one won't load. Problem on my end?

edit

Delete...never mind

God bless Yahtzee for being the first person to say that not all adventure games are as good as people say they are. Yeah, there were the good ones (like the awesome Lucasarts games and the first King's Quest game), but the vast majority sucked because you didn't realize that you could throw the paper towels at the locked to awake the doberman, who assaults the policeman, who in turn fires a gun at the lock to open the door. And try and tell me all adventure games were good after some prick introduced the "Find your way in the desert by moving in the EXACT sequence of screens before you die or get lost," sequences.

Anyone who gives as much love to Grim Fandango as Yahtzee does, can't be all evil.

Despite the fact I am solely a PC gamer, I am amused by all the Zero Punctuations.

Keep up the Bile, Yahtzee!

Before I saw this review, I had the opinion that Yahtzee loved the Adventure genre as a whole...

Guess not, though. Glad to see he liked Zack & Wiki at least.

"It was like having his ears raped by a man with a sandpaper condom." That's hilarious ~^o^~

Stack and Picky,
Whack and Dicky,
Wank and Sticky...

Yahtzee, that is absolutely PRICELESS.

PHANTASMAGORIA!!!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password: