Smile and Nod: The Orange Juice Principle

Smile and Nod: The Orange Juice Principle

This is the story of how I almost bought a boat, but didn't. How I tackled a storm of projects I'd been putting off for years, all for the purpose of spending the weekend in the Atlantic Ocean, the wind at my back, my troubles left on the shore behind me. Almost.

Read Full Article

An excellent answer to the perpetual question of the procrastinator: "Why do today, what can be put off 'til tomorrow?"

I tend to suffer from this dreadful affliction...

Procrastination is a fine art, only a master can practice it without backlash.

I think I speak for everyone when I say...what was the name of the play you directed in middle school? Just curious.

that happened to me in a DMV once. I was in and out in about ten minutes. It was pretty spooky stuff.

Hello, my name is Stompy, and I'm a procrastinator.
'The Orange Juice Principle'... Very insightful into the problem of leaving things to the last minute.
I think I'll use it. Thanks Russ.

- A Procrastinator

L.B. Jeffries:
I think I speak for everyone when I say...what was the name of the play you directed in middle school? Just curious.

I worked at a middle school, briefly, as a technical director. I've also worked in that same position at a high school, a couple of colleges and a few professional theaters. In another life, at another time.

Russ Pitts:

L.B. Jeffries:

I worked at a middle school, briefly, as a technical director. I've also worked in that same position at a high school, a couple of colleges and a few professional theaters. In another life, at another time.

Hmmm... very subtle. Do we think he's dodging the question, or that he wasn't paying that much attention? Given that he's usually pretty sharp, I'm going to go with "dodge". Very sly, sir.

i do so love your articles... though i doubt i will apply "The Orange Juice Principle" in my own life. I enjoy procrastination too much.

Not dodging, I just find it hard to believe anyone would care. As for the literal answer, I really don't remember. It was a musical of some sort. There may have been children dressed as animals. Perhaps bears.

Bears bears bears, Little Red Ridinghood Perhaps?

That was the most most real-world-of-grown-ups thing I've ever read at the Escapist on the Internet.

sammyfreak:
Bears bears bears, Little Red Ridinghood Perhaps?

That was a wolf, wasn't it? Were the bears anthropomorphic? Were they an advanced society or merely subservient to the greater themes in the play?

I bet it was 'The Wizard of Oz'.

Russ Pitts:
Not dodging, I just find it hard to believe anyone would care. As for the literal answer, I really don't remember. It was a musical of some sort. There may have been children dressed as animals. Perhaps bears.

Was it a muscial version of 'If You Go Down To The Woods Today...'?

Or maybe even 'Goldilocks And The Three Bears'?

That was a good read.

Very well written article, and a useful analogy if I must say so, using the world's most existential beverage, too.

(If you're wondering why that is, just think... orange juice only truly goes well with itself... hmm? hmmmmm? yeah... think about that.)

You could have just washed the pitcher in the bathtub. That's the "What have I done with my life?" Principle.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here