Zero Punctuation: Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 39 NEXT

Garfgarog:
Haven't watched the video yet and I can already see that this board once again attracts total idiots.

Guess that's the be expected by now though.

Tell me about it.
Nintendo actually made this game to not be taken seriously and thats what so great about it. And yes the Single Player was dissappointing in the end but the did put a bit of work into it. I'm all up for unlocking characters, but not when it has to be the games selling points.

I got the game last week and I played with some friends and it was really fun but...
GOD! YOU SPEAK TRUTH ABOUT IT!
The camera is sometimes too far from the action (shakes fists at "new pork city" or "m75" levels), sonic and snake are locked from the begining, there are some pointless characters (lucas sucks and so do marth and jigglypuff) and it's full of clones (yes, I'm looking at the starfox trio)

Anyway, I prefer those simple controls to learn how to do 10 fucking special movements pressing a 100 buttons sequence in the right order and timing, the objects are cool and the soundtrack is excelent.

Just so you know Yahtzee: Marth is a character from another great Japanese game that they're never going to release anywhere else... Though I must say during Subspace Emissary, the whole reference to Mother 3 was fairly confusing, considering I've never heard/seen anything about that game til then.

Edit: Renard, they removed Roy to make room for Ike ;) Roy was pretty much a powered up clone of Marth... so Nintendo took the opportunity to pimp out the newest Fire Emblem game.

Zera:
Tell me about it.
Nintendo actually made this game to not be taken seriously and thats what so great about it. And yes the Single Player was dissappointing in the end but the did put a bit of work into it. I'm all up for unlocking characters, but not when it has to be the games selling points.

The games selling point is beating the shit out of each other with Nintendo characters. You don't need to unlock that. Other characters are just a bonus.

I personally enjoyed the single player because I played it with my brother. Turns out, 'single player' can be played by two people simultaneously, which makes it infinitely better in some of the larger battle against droves of mooks.

i personally enjoy smash bros, but then i play i only play it with my flatmates, and never bother with the single player. definitely a game to not take seriously, or spend more than a few matches at a time playing.

oh well, good review, though filled with more hate than any of the others i've seen.

Garfgarog:
Turns out, 'single player' can be played by two people simultaneously, which makes it infinitely better in some of the larger battle against droves of mooks.

Which definitely helps against the final boss! That's one of the hardest battles I've ever experienced in a game... You really have to have skill and timing to beat him. Button mashing gets you killed pretty quickly!

Considering I know two people who have been mentioning this game as if it was the second coming, I find this review very satisfying indeed. I won't lie and pretend that I am any good at those sorts of games. My abject lack of patience and coordination means that within 5 minutes of playing any one of these crummy games, I will be button mashing like the other 99% of society.
Most draining and depressing was one of said friends trying to teach me how to play one properly. Don't ask me which one, they all look the same, and all make me look retarded. So there he was, trying to be patient with me, and there I was trying to listen, but really, it wasn't going to happen.
So thankyou Zp, thankyou for showing me that I am not the only man on earth who bloody hates beat em ups.

Well, it's a fighting game. They generally suck.

And Kinokiro lies. Marth is just some guy.

And the fucker owes me $20.

'You can trust me, I'm a prince' my ass.

This 'review' by and large was pretty poor. It's Yahtzee's fault for posting his actual email and, god forbid, checking it that he gets all the mail he does. Just because people want it doesn't mean he should do it, and since Yahtzee, pretty clearly, is and has been nothing more than a professional troll for a good while now and should never play games outside of his 1 or 2 favourite genres. If this entire video wasn't clearly for the purpose of bashing a game he quite clearly doesn't like in the first place, it might actually have been more entertaining than listening to a grown man cry about 'peer' pressure.

great review

the bottom line with button mashers unless it looks awesome and you can say haha i wish i could do that again its no fun

"You'll already know if you'll like Brawl or not."
A truer word was never spoken. Even a few minutes of constant criticism and pointing out of the flaws can't put me off this game, I'm that much of a fan-boy.

Kinokiro:
Edit: Renard, they removed Roy to make room for Ike ;) Roy was pretty much a powered up clone of Marth... so Nintendo took the opportunity to pimp out the newest Fire Emblem game.

I know, and now we have two useless characters since ike is a nerfed Roy. At least Marth's counterattack is easier to perform now...

Anyway, there are more sucky characters: lucario (mewtwo 2.0.), king dedede (slow and has the worst recovery attack ever), wolf (the faulty clone of fox)...

By and large, if you are a newcomer to the Smash series, you will be turned off by button-mashing softheads... (Much like I would be turned off of Street Fighter, cause I can't play it worth a damn -.-)

Once you've had some strategy, timing and some luck in your game, you can easily exploit the mashers. This game isn't without it's flaws, but it's far from being the worst game out there. I think Yahtzee did a good review from where he is on gaming. I know I would have the same opinion with most of the fighting games out there, but I rock at the platformers, ^^

Edit: Marth is much more fluent, I found. Ike is very well put together if you know how to control him. He is very deadly on small stages, as most of his attacks will launch anyone off screen. If it wasn't for SSE forcing me to use DDD for a healthy portion of it, I probably would never have touched him... Wolf is too erratic, then again I try not to use Fox/Falco because they are harder to control in this game.

Hi. I am here to deliver the "Nintendo fanboy" point of view. Yes, this makes my name ironic.

I am one of those... good players. I just won a Brawl online by getting 9 kills in two minutes. I really do not see it as a button masher. If it was, I would not win at least 80% of the matches I play online, with four people in each game.

Unlocking characters is meant to be easy. If you play the single player (on co-op for more fun) you can get through the whole think in eight hours, tops. That really isn't asking that much. You could probably do it much faster if you dropped the difficulty (I love having 5 difficulty settings).

Therefore, while I like that you actually bothered to play the multiplayer, I still think you missed the point. This game LOOKS like a random button masher, but it is not. Unless you suck. In which case you will lose to a superior opponent.

I did like the review, by the way. 'Twas funny.

Finally someone speaks the truth about this game. Super Smash Bros as a whole is the ultimate definition of "overrated". Even so, because of Nintendo's legion of rabid fanboys, at least one of the games will end up on a list of the "Best Fighting Games EVAR(TM)". Super Smash Bros Brawl has as much business being on that list as a Super Soaker does in a gun shop.

Due to rave reviews, I bought Melee a while back. It took five minutes for me to get bored with it.

HalfShadow:

Marth and Roy are brothers
they are from the game Fire Emblem for the original NES (which WAS released in the US)
I believe Marth was the main character, but it might have been Roy
after the release of SSBM for the GameCube,
Nintendo put out a GameBoy Advanced Fire Emblem game (also released in the US)

I never really experienced the problems he did on account of the fact that my friends and I all bought it at the same time and I vehemently defended the term "Nintendo Wii" as much as I could. Or I associated it with pedophilia. Or both.

"You miserable, fanboy, twat."

Nice mic, BTW? The sound quality appears to have improved a little since last time.

mspencer82:
Finally someone speaks the truth about this game. Super Smash Bros as a whole is the ultimate definition of "overrated". Even so, because of Nintendo's legion of rabid fanboys, at least one of the games will end up on a list of the "Best Fighting Games EVAR(TM)". Super Smash Bros Brawl has as much business being on that list as a Super Soaker does in a gun shop.

Due to rave reviews, I bought Melee a while back. It took five minutes for me to get bored with it.

Fun Fact: There is no such thing as 'overrated'. It's a buzzword used by people like you who think their opinion shared with others like themselves should be the opinion of the everyone else that isn't already part of their side of the argument.

Enjoy your opinion.

Garfgarog:
Haven't watched the video yet and I can already see that this board once again attracts total idiots.

Guess that's to be expected by now though.

Yourself included, I assume?

ultimakewl:

they are from the game Fire Emblem for the original NES (which WAS released in the US)

This is humor:--------->
This is your head: O

Damn I'd love to cave Sonic in using Bill Murray...

Even though I enjoyed playing Brawl with my apartment roomies, I still loved the review.

Great work Yahtzee.

Garfgarog:
Fun Fact: There is no such thing as 'overrated'. It's a buzzword used by people like you who think their opinion shared with others like themselves should be the opinion of the everyone else that isn't already part of their side of the argument.

Enjoy your opinion.

Thanks, I will. Enjoy your shitty game.

I think the beauty of brawl is in the utter chaos, although I've begun calling the single player mode the clusterfuck emmisary thanks to the dozens of fucking enemies on screen at any given time.
Lucario at least has the "Shounen anime protagonist" ability (getting more powerful as he takes more damage.)
Personally I'd buy a game called "Lets all look at a picture of meta knight", so having him as a playable character pretty much made it impossible for me to not like the game ^_^.
Also, it's packed with obscure references and the like, and I love me some easter eggs (Like the audience cheer for Snake ("Snake! Snake! Snaaaaaaaaake!").

Enjoy your opinion.

Oh, there is such a thing, and brawl was most definitely overhyped. I still love the game, but it's luster wears off rather quick outside of multiplayer.

fajerkaos:

Yourself included, I assume?

How clever and witty. Must have taken you a whole 20 minutes to come up with that on your own.

mspencer82:

Garfgarog:

Enjoy your opinion.

Thanks, I will. Enjoy your shitty game.

lol opinions.

exxxxxxxxtravaganza

i actually cried laughing when you did that

excellent review as always

Now hold on, perhaps someone can fill me in here. Did Yahtzee actually like this game?

Fantabulous I look forward to these reviews every Wednesday, I have to agree with the end part when the Wii was first announced. You either love it or hate it and I most definetly hate it, not saying I hate nintendo I have a nintendo DS. Mario, Sonic etc were never my thing really.

Joined to vote Valve:

Unlocking characters is meant to be easy. If you play the single player (on co-op for more fun) you can get through the whole think in eight hours, tops. That really isn't asking that much. You could probably do it much faster if you dropped the difficulty

you sir have said why I won't buy the game. 8 hours or less? is that all i get for my hard earned cash

I haven't touched Brawl yet (liked Melee, don't have a Wii), but...you're reviewing a fighting game based on one drunken night that you went into without actually knowing what the controls do? No wonder you hated the thing.

Also, the fighting game haters can bite me. If you spend months learning the game and still get beaten by button mashers, you either have the worst instincts ever or are playing Mortal Kombat.

ultimakewl:

Actually... the first Fire Emblem wasn't released in the US. It was released as Roy's version, which I believe was FE2... Marth is Roy's father(?), They re-released the original FE on GBA, which was Roy, and the sequel which was Roy's son, or grandson I think...

Anyway, the whole premise of Fire Emblem is about a kingdom usually being taken over, and the last surviving prince(ss) stands alone to fight the enemy kingdom, recruiting opponents along the way, which is pretty much what the idea behind SSB is. Like in the title song it says something like "We were once enemies, now we fight side by side"

sammyfreak:
Woho! Another weekly masterpiece! Justice has been done to this shitty game that gets boring after 5 minutes!

This is why no one loves people like you.

I'm sorry but I forgot to talk about what mspencer82 said.

"Finally someone speaks the truth about this game. Super Smash Bros as a whole is the ultimate definition of "overrated". Even so, because of Nintendo's legion of rabid fanboys, at least one of the games will end up on a list of the "Best Fighting Games EVAR(TM)". Super Smash Bros Brawl has as much business being on that list as a Super Soaker does in a gun shop.

Due to rave reviews, I bought Melee a while back. It took five minutes for me to get bored with it."

I think you're confusing SSBB with Halo 3 when you say the "ultimate definition of overrated." And by the way, if it takes five minutes for you to get bored with something, that just means you have an extremely small attention span. So yeah.

ultimakewl:

HalfShadow:

Marth is the main character from Fire Emblem one (and two), Roy is the main character from Fire Emblem six. THEY ARE IN NO WAY RELATED.

As much as I love Smash Bros Brawl (it's the best game of 2008 so far), this is by far Yahtsee's funniest review. I laughed me ass off.

ROBINA

But for real - I've been a Smash fan since the original and I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but there is no better party game out (especially because I am "that guy" when it comes to Guitar Hero) and I enjoyed the Subspace Emissiary. It was worth it to unlock Sonic, who is amazing.

This is coming from someone who owns all 3 systems, so don't go callin me a Nintendo fanboy. Although the Wii will win this console war by far. But that's just logic. :-0

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 39 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here