Zero Punctuation: Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Pages PREV 1 . . . 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 . . . 39 NEXT

but hey now i'm rooting for this thread maybe if we really turn up the flames we could make this the longest thread ever on the escapist.

Now that's a goal I can work for.

Oh, and to avoid reports of me spamming, I really hate having to unlock characters for fighting games. Does the Super Smash Brothers series have cheat codes to have you unlock all the characters? It would really have saved some time.

I just realised that even the Console Wars review got less posts than this one. The bloody Console Wars got smashed by SSBB!... What is the world coming to?

stompy:
I just realised that even the Console Wars review got less posts than this one. The bloody Console Wars got smashed by SSBB!... What is the world coming to?

This, Stompy, is the frontline of the ongoing fanboy war.

Undead Dragon King:
This, Stompy, is the frontline of the ongoing fanboy war.

... Eww, it's so corney.../jk

But on a serious note, wouldn't the flippin' Console Wars be more, you know, fight-worthy?

Allright, cut RIGHT here... I shall make an experiment. I shall document how many posts have been made by people and rank them on a 5 step scale going from love to hate to posts on this topic:
1.Love: SSBB for teh win! IT AINT NO BUTTON MUSHA
2.Support: SSSB is a good game, he well, doenst like fighting games, i get it.
3.Neutral: Dunno, havent played the game/dont really care, I know its just comedy.
4.Nasty: The game IS a bit overrated.
5.Hate: LOLZORZ TAKE THAT SMASH BROTHAS!!!

Just to compare, I will ALSO do the same for the Halo 3 review, cut at comment number 390 on THAT one. For this effort, I shall only count the FIRST post made by any one person. This'll obviously take some time.

PS: This study is meant to be done for a project my girlfriend is making for one of her psycology classes. Please be patient, It'll take some time, and I WILL post the results since I think it's:

a. Something interesting.
b. Whatever mod looks at it will probably lock this topic down already, and I think it has been enough.

If b happens, I'll post the results on another thread. Excuse me if the way I've worded this isn't the most professional, but I don't really think anyone is making a major out of a forum.

The N64 version of this game is more playable in my opinion. The Wii version really is terrible. Though to be honest, I didn't have high hopes for it to begin with and he game was a gift...

immortal88:
The N64 version of this game is more playable in my opinion. The Wii version really is terrible. Though to be honest, I didn't have high hopes for it to begin with and he game was a gift...

What is so "terrible?" There are a couple things that I don't like, such as the removal of the air dodge and Dr. Mario or that they changed the sound that Ness's bat makes and Mario's Down+B, but I'm having a blast. The new characters Zero Suit Samus and Snake are very cool and have a good move set.

m_jim:

immortal88:

What is so "terrible?" There are a couple things that I don't like, such as the removal of the air dodge and Dr. Mario or that they changed the sound that Ness's bat makes and Mario's Down+B, but I'm having a blast. The new characters Zero Suit Samus and Snake are very cool and have a good move set.

he said 'i' and 'in my opinion', you dont have to defend your own opinions when they were not even mentioned.

and that, friends, is why this thread is 850 posts long.

144:
And...

nightmare_gorilla:

the thing is smashbros is indeed intended for nintendo fans, and since... what maybe 10% (if i'm being generous) of the escapist readers actually tolerate nintendo much less like them. i think this was a fairly predictable outcome

I don't agree with that. SSBB is certainly LIKED by fanboys, sure, but not MEANT for them. I mean, that sentiment makes it seem that anything liked by fanboys can only be liked by fanboys. There's plenty of people out there who enjoy the game for what it is and nothing more.

It's a game with characters from various nintendo games doing what they do best hell sse mode has a video of link going about his day pulling the master sword from the forest like he'd done it a million times before. yeah i think it's slated towards nintendo fans, now that doesn't mean other people won't enjoy it and play it, but it's like the new final fantasy crap they're doing, it's almost all geared towards reigniting that ff7 suposed masterpeice crowd. obviously those games mean more to ff fans than just some guy looking for a fun game. i think yahtzee said it best, "Who the hell is marth?" marth is a character from one of the fire emblem games that was never released outside of japan, i know that because i'm a fan of fire emblem and when i saw marth in melee i looked him up and was disapointed he never made it.

i perfectly understand that yahtzee doesnt like this game, but in my previous post i was trying to get across that his skill at the game may effect his review of the game, im not that good at it, i like it as much as most other games, it could have developed more from the last one, but most sequels are like that. i just think that his review was biased because of the fact that he lost in front of other game reviewers when he played it at yugs house in brisbane after supanova, its a valid point that you need to take into consideration when agreeing with him, is he just saying this because he is shit, how many of you have played the game either in single player or multiplayer and not at least had a good time playing? who cares if the game isnt up to the standards of a reviewer that is himself proven shit at the game, iv played it, i usually lose, but i still had fun playing it, with friends or in singleplayer.

Seriously... you just lost the game

aahahahaha, so, some random guy on tinternet slates your favourite game and 850-something posts later here we all are covered in shit. It is of little wonder that this industry is still considered by many to be so woefully immature.

Eye Spider:
aahahahaha, so, some random guy on tinternet slates your favourite game and 850-something posts later here we all are covered in shit. It is of little wonder that this industry is still considered by many to be so woefully immature.

id say its just the SSBB fans, they are making the most noise because Yahtzee twisted their knickers

(come on, take the bait, lets make 1000!)

if we make 1000 i will personally strive to get myslef banned for 3 days due to the crap i will then put into this thread

you know you want it 3 days without me putting my 10 cents into everything (got no 2 cents over her im afraid)

anyway

yahtzee did make some good points in his review and i will go into those later tho

do you think i could get away with writing one word from my argument into each post?

Hey Apples:
Dang, I was hoping he'd tell us who the fuck Marth is, because even I don't know.

Fire Emblem character.

This review brought me great joy seeing as I bought Brawl for the household to play the day it came out and went on a tirade of all it's faults.

Those that live in my house with me told me I had brain damage but they treat everything you say as divine law. Therefor when you made all the points I did there was nothing left for them to except burst into tears.
Allowing me to declare victory.

I say throw more rocks at nintendo. They need to wake up badly. I kinda think they suck a** by today. The only real good thing they did since N64 was the DS. They have gotten "Nintendo syndrome" having to make everything baby cute and as noob friendly as possible to a level the entire games starts to smell old diapers.

They have seriously lowered their standards BADLY over the years. Compare Nintendo to the NES and SNES times where the games had CHALLENGE and soul. Now they rip apart Mario himself displaying more and more gay characters and his damn high pitch gay voice!

I say Nintendo, stop with the "looney-shrooms" and start taking yourself seriously. Go back to the drawing board and look at what made you so good before.

I noticed you held up Dead Or Alive 4 in the selection of beat em' up games. How can you not enjoy that game?# Or Soul Calibur 3 for that matter, a classic.

I can't be bothered to read the 850-odd posts before this one, and due to this, I doubt anyone will read this. But I'm going to post it anyway.

I love SSBB, I think its one of the best games ever, so I was a tad wary when I saw that you had reviewed it... but that review had me rolling on the floor, enveloped completely by my laughter. The tears we're dripping down my eyes and I thought I was going to die laughing! Greatest review yet (and I have seen them all) and if you read this, Yahtzee, keep rolling out the reviews! ^^

Oh, and sorry to hear you we're forced to review this game.

I hate Fanboys. Yahtzee is right on everything.

^^ Agree with Ishinken.

Ok but seriously now, I haven't ever actually played the game, is it any good? I loved Tekken3 so base your response on that if you need a frame of reference. This isn't a troll it's a legit question.

ebs187:

Omgz! Yahtzee fanboi!!!1!!

Eye Spider:
^^ Agree with Ishinken.

Ok but seriously now, I haven't ever actually played the game, is it any good? I loved Tekken3 so base your response on that if you need a frame of reference. This isn't a troll it's a legit question.

If you have to ask, you probably won't like it.

Simon_TR:

ebs187:

Omgz! Yahtzee fanboi!!!1!!

That's true. A hideous irony...

Sure GTA is coming soon, but I want him to review something no one cares about, like the Iron Man game, that is coming on like, every platform conceivable.

Maybe he should review the DS version.

corronchilejano:
Allright, cut RIGHT here... I shall make an experiment. I shall document how many posts have been made by people and rank them on a 5 step scale going from love to hate to posts on this topic:
1.Love: SSBB for teh win! IT AINT NO BUTTON MUSHA
2.Support: SSSB is a good game, he well, doenst like fighting games, i get it.
3.Neutral: Dunno, havent played the game/dont really care, I know its just comedy.
4.Nasty: The game IS a bit overrated.
5.Hate: LOLZORZ TAKE THAT SMASH BROTHAS!!!

Just to compare, I will ALSO do the same for the Halo 3 review, cut at comment number 390 on THAT one. For this effort, I shall only count the FIRST post made by any one person. This'll obviously take some time.

PS: This study is meant to be done for a project my girlfriend is making for one of her psycology classes. Please be patient, It'll take some time, and I WILL post the results since I think it's:

a. Something interesting.
b. Whatever mod looks at it will probably lock this topic down already, and I think it has been enough.

If b happens, I'll post the results on another thread. Excuse me if the way I've worded this isn't the most professional, but I don't really think anyone is making a major out of a forum.

No offense, but I'm surprised at the girlfriend part. And pleased. It means there may be hope for the rest of us.

ElArabDeMagnifico:
Sure GTA is coming soon, but I want him to review something no one cares about, like the Iron Man game, that is coming on like, every platform conceivable.

Maybe he should review the DS version.

or review Earth bound because he always says he likes it

Whoa. Whoa. Whoa. Hold up.
Ok, i think Yahtzee makes perfectly valid points here. I also think it's fair enough if you don't like the game that much.
Personally? I cant get enough of it. It's one of the most unique fighters I've played, seeing as most are one-on-one kung-fu shitstorms.

But i must say this: some of you guys seem to only agree with Yahtzee blindly. I mean, it's like if he turned around and said "Oh, GTA4 is a pile of crap," you guys would jump behind him and support his every word with a knife or baseball bat (whichever your preferance).

Fair enough, you might not like the game. But try it first: and form your own bloody opinion.

Dizzy's got it right. Eloquently stated. (audience claps).

Some people (you know who you are) should heed this advice.

I know no one cares, but I enjoyed SSBB. In fact, its one of the best games to play with casual gamers. I understand that the fighting is not refined or that tactical, but come on Mario vs. Sonic. Anyway, unlike most of the zero punctuation I found this more of an angry rant than a genuine criticism. I am not a fan boy because I like this game, I have a xbox 360 and wii (no ps3 yet). I like yahtzee, I just don't like being associated with raving Nintendo fanboys.

Who's this Mario guy? And what about Bros? Is that the crap pop group it's talking about? I'd love to beat them up. Or do you have to unlock them? That'd suck, having to play through Wham and Culture Club and Fun Boy Three just to wail on Matt and Luke.
Maybe I'll leave it for now, or wait until I can download a pirate version.

good review. he was harsh, big deal. the benefit of him being harsh is that he didn't have to go through the process of applauding the game, he was able to focus on the flaws in it. i loved the game, but that whole subspace emisarry was b***h if you just wanted to unlock the characters. it is a bit unfair to pin fighting games as a whole as button mashers though (hey yahtzee, try beating a level 9, or three) but once again that's his opinion, not mine, and it was funny.

How about we just all spam fail/thread sucks/lolcats?That way we'll force the mods to lock it.

is it too late to say good review?

Pages PREV 1 . . . 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 . . . 39 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or