Zero Punctuation: Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Pages PREV 1 . . . 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 NEXT

SSB has never been my kind of game for one reason, the combat. I just don't like it, like Yahtzee I think that the camera is too zoomed out and the attacks are either A too simple or be too much shiny for me to like it. I like the idea of pummeling the crap or out of Ike as Mario or as Snake or Sonic (the only two characters I liked from the newest installment. But for me the game just wasn't worth the hype and I really didn't have fun but I can still understand why people like it.

LET THIS FUCKING DIE.

I reckon the gameplay in SSB and SSBM is awsome but SSBB is bloody awful. I disagree with Yahtzee even though he makes some good points, I dislike the game for other reasons.

NOW LET THIS DIE!

Yahtzee is true with half of it fighting games get repetitive after a while

The Sorrow:
LET THIS FUCKING DIE.

No force in the universe will stop Yahtzee fanboys from mindlessly yes-manning him and repeating everything he says, and then complaining about persecution from a nonexistent army of Nintendo fanboys. And the mods won't lock this thread because they've realized that Yahtzee's drama whoring brings in more site traffic.

Yahtzee was absolutely totally WRONG about brawl.

Brawl is not a game you need to take serious and it was one of the few games I actually enjoyed playing as of late. Call me fan boy or whatever you want but the point is I have friends, competitive ones to booth and nothing is more fun than whooping their ass while Link punches the stupid out of Bowser and Luigi is fighting Falcon in a climactic Knee battle.

This mostly resulting in a Hilarious victory dance by friend B immediately followed by sarcasm from friends C and D. Fighting games should not be about fighting it is about humiliating the other people you are playing with and I believe people forget that.

Besides I have always wanted to slap Sonic for over 15 hours long for making horrible game after horrible game.

I dunno i used play this with my siblings and it was pretty good, we still play from time to time for nostalgia but their are much better games out now

he is one of the main charaters of fire emblem

the super smash series really seems like a series of expansions to me. only, worse because for every bit of content they add, they take some away. I don't actually own any super smash games, or for that matter a nintendo console, all of my friends do, and so throughout the years I've gotten enough practice on Mr. Game and Watch (my favorite character) that useing him I can beat a friend of mine while using him. It should be known that my friend not only owns this game, but as soon as it came out took a couple of days off school and spent every minute playing through every facet of the game he could find. he has literally days of gameplay hours on ssbb alone. which is exactly what yahtzee was talking about.

Sylocat:

The Sorrow:
LET THIS FUCKING DIE.

No force in the universe will stop Yahtzee fanboys from mindlessly yes-manning him and repeating everything he says, and then complaining about persecution from a nonexistent army of Nintendo fanboys. And the mods won't lock this thread because they've realized that Yahtzee's drama whoring brings in more site traffic.

Haha, you funny fanboy.

Here's the problem: Most of the people who post crap here ether narrow-mindedly love or hate a game or just simply do not have great comprehension skills; public school system cries.

People who say, "Haha, screw this into the ground Yahtzee!" Can't think past their dire rage towards this game and people who say, "I HATE you Yahtzee! You suck at reviewing and you should quit your job!" Can't think past their dire love towards this game. I conclude that both of these people simply can't understand the actual review. So I will go ahead and tell them, slowly and with big caps:

IF YOU ARE NOT FAMILIAR, OR ARE JUST GENERALLY FAMILIAR, WITH THE GAME SERIES, YOU WILL THINK OF THIS GAME AS A GIGANTIC, "MEH."

IF YOU ARE A FANBOY, YOU WILL BE "RELEASING" YOURSELF THROUGH EVERY ORIFICE IN YOUR BODY, INCLUDING YOUR EYEBALLS, EVERY CHANCE SOMEONE MENTIONS THIS GAME.

I See He's Still Doin' AWESOME REVIEWS :D

Ike is far overpowered in this game, but as someone else mentioned.
It's very easy to get into. Nothing special, but fun at parties.

Offatwork:

Sylocat:

The Sorrow:
LET THIS FUCKING DIE.

Haha, you funny fanboy.

Here's the problem: Most of the people who post crap here ether narrow-mindedly love or hate a game or just simply do not have great comprehension skills; public school system cries.

People who say, "Haha, screw this into the ground Yahtzee!" Can't think past their dire rage towards this game and people who say, "I HATE you Yahtzee! You suck at reviewing and you should quit your job!" Can't think past their dire love towards this game. I conclude that both of these people simply can't understand the actual review. So I will go ahead and tell them, slowly and with big caps:

IF YOU ARE NOT FAMILIAR, OR ARE JUST GENERALLY FAMILIAR, WITH THE GAME SERIES, YOU WILL THINK OF THIS GAME AS A GIGANTIC, "MEH."

IF YOU ARE A FANBOY, YOU WILL BE "RELEASING" YOURSELF THROUGH EVERY ORIFICE IN YOUR BODY, INCLUDING YOUR EYEBALLS, EVERY CHANCE SOMEONE MENTIONS THIS GAME.

If you'd been paying attention, you'd know that I don't have a problem with Yahtzee having his own opinion. He's entitled to that, and I don't think he should quit his job just because I disagree with him.

My problem is: Over the whole course of this thread and the mailbag showdown, the Yahtzee fanboys (who mindlessly parrot every single one of his views as a substitute for having their own opinions) have outnumbered the SSBB fanboys by about a 3 to 1 margin... and have STILL been claiming that they are relentlessly persecuted by an overwhelming mob of Brawl fanboys. At least three consecutive pages in here have NOTHING but posts praising Yahtzee and agreeing with him, and half of THEM are telling the masses upon masses of Brawl fanboys they seem to think are flooding this forum to stop whining. It's embarrassing watching this overwhelming majority claim they're being oppressed.

And for the record, there are a lot of people who have never played this series who pick up Brawl and adore it, and there are plenty of people who loved the previous games who are complaining about every last detail to do with Brawl.

I think this game had the exact opposite effect. I had very little experience with SSB before this one, but bought it anyways after the overwhelming good reviews it got (yes, bad bad me.) I thoroughly enjoyed it, but after a while it started to collect dust on my shelf while I played other games. After reading this review though it made me remember how much fun the game could be and got me back into it to try and unlock a few of those lingering ones that are actually achievable.

I agree with you, Yahtzee. I've never been a fan of fighting games, but I brought melee (The one before brawl) For 19.99, And spent around 9 MONTHS playing it.
Now, I pay around 40.00 for brawl and get about 3 days. Something's wrong here, No buts about it.

How? How did this thread spring back to life?

DIEEEE! By fire, be purged, undead minion!

I agree. Let this thread die. It's 2009, not 2008. Seriously, both ZP fans and SSB fans really need to find an agreement or something. I play SSBB for 2 months, and I'm done with the game already. It's a fighting genre that Mr. Croshaw doesn't like. Plus he labels Nintendo as a company who still uses their own franchises as the only way to survive.

Seriously, get it over with other people's opinions.

As much as it should, this thread will never die. There'll always be drunken or caffeinated Nintendo fanboys/fangirls (I know one such girl who decided writing Ike/Marth slash fiction was a good idea, shame on her) who'll bang on about it until forty-seven years after the apocalypse.

(Yes, I do realise I'm causing the thread to survive simply by replying to it, and for that I unreservedly apologise)

Obviously the only reason I play SSBB is to relieve stress by beating Pikachu to a bloody pulp.

BEGONE SATAN!! And take this un-kill-able thread back to the depths of hell with you.

OK, so I loved it when the SSBB review got twice as many comments than the other reviews, when Yahtzee received so much hate-mail he felt he had to counterattack with a whole movie devoted to nothing but...

...but then I see that this is still ongoing, that 14 year old fanboys are STILL coming on her flaming the heck out of a review over a year old?

This isn't funny anymore, fanboys, you're starting to scare me.

I agree whole-heartedly with Yahtzee, because my friends are like, OH YEAH!!! we are sooooo good at brawl, and then I remind them that saying your good at brawl is like saying I'm really good at going to the bathroom!!! Brawl should have never been shipped!

I was a fan boy and I was disopointed with Brawl so go Yahtzee

I'm not a Nintendo fanboy, heck I hate Mario.
But I liked Brawl. It was a very good game :(
But this review was funny, and I loved this review XD

thx for the review. you won't read this but fuck it. i thought while funny is was so damn true that it was just a documentary. brawls alright but it's the same damn thing as the other super smash bros. really, if i wanted to kick someones ass in a video game like that i'd want more serious characters and mabey even a small story line that barly any1 gives a fuck about. at least that means the designers put more thought into than 1 guy shit kicking another guy.

Wow I was surprised by the agreement on the zooming out of the screen seeing as I pointed it out in my comment on the Mailbag Showdown before I watched this vid. I had an annoyance of SSBB enough to be able to sympathise with the hatedness of the fanboy rantings.

I did actually expirience the annoyance of going to a party and finding Snake not being unlocked seeing as the only characters I will play on SS is Shiek or Samus. Mainly because I am a femenist freak and like the idea of women beating the crap out of men but Snake seemed to be the only male character I fancied giving a try as I do like the MGS games Still saying that I did actually take a moment to wonder why he was there (or rather not there).

When you consider you have a super hero plumber, a hedgehog that can travel at the speed of sound, a fox armed with guns etc, random pokemon, (when I say pokemon I mainly mean Pikachu as he seems to be the only pokemon that matters anymore, much to my annoyance as I hate him), and the super hero plumbers not quite girlfriend flying round by the use of an umbrella all in the same game, it did really make me think if Snake had any rational thought at all, (though being a fictional character he has none but I'm sure many people can imagine the analogy) it would be 'What the hell am I doing in this game?'

Yeah, this is getting kinda old. Brawl is a great game if you have friends, and a pretty good game otherwise, but I'm not going to go into some sort of fan rant here.

If you want to talk about the source of the problem, it's probably the tournament players. Half of the fun of Smash Bros. comes from the unpredictability in the multiplayer matches, as a single move or item can change the outcome of the match entirely.

"No only, Final items, Fox Destination!" (Wait, that's not it... Well, you know what I mean.) only makes it about just plain attacking and defending, which isn't really any different from a more conventional fighter like Soul Caliber.

And as for snake being in Brawl.. Yeah, his reactions are pretty appropriate. "Why the hell am I in this game?" is more or less what he says on the codec calls on his stage.

Do people pay attention to the dates of older posts when they add to a thread?

Captain Blackout:

well every one is always being yelled at to use the bloody search function so ofc they dont.
I never get what forums allow necroing and what forums want users to use search.

The66Monkey:

Captain Blackout:

well every one is always being yelled at to use the bloody search function so ofc they dont.
I never get what forums allow necroing and what forums want users to use search.

Which is part of the reason I no longer make any comments about using the search function. Plus, Yatzhee does have later reviews to rant about. *shrug*

The best part was when Solid Snake and Mario were about to use super moves when giant imps eat them

The Sorrow:
LET THIS FUCKING DIE.

Let's let you die, instead, emirite?

Great review. This game is fun in the same way as lining up your mom's good china on a wall then hitting it with a bat with some friends over; It's stupid and pointless but fun as well.

And all you nintendo fanboys can go dip your heads in a blender, it's Yahtzee's opinion, he's not trying to offend you, so stop whining and do something with your pathetic lives.

Nice Review, I Have A Friend Like THAT GUY..... >:D

Most of these reviews are funny, but taking constant swipes at the Wii, a system you already hate and will never look at with any real seriousness, isn't really creative or insightful. Yes, SSBB is basically meant as shameless fan service, because the only people who actually own a Wii are:
A-Diehard Nintendo fans who will buy any system with the new Mario/Link/Metriod game.
B-Young children/old people who want to play games with the magical wand from the future.
Nitendo has it's hardcore fanbase covered no matter what they do, as long as they keep releasing continuations of there old franchises. However, as there hardcore fans get older, they have less spare time/disposable income to support gaming as a practical hobby. This is why it's important that the Wii have a steady supply of crappy casual games, so that they can hook the young squishy minds of today's youth and form them into future Nintendo nerds, so that they can continue to stay in business in the future. Admitedly, the other 2 big consoles do look more fun when you've been playing games since you were 6, but if you're a young kid, and you're parent's are finally letting you buy a game system, and 2 of the 3 bigs have a library consisting almost entirly of monochrome violent fps, and the other has Mario, which one do you think is going to survive for future generations? Besides, Nintendo doesn't care what you think, but people who only own the Wii and don't have $1000+ to shell out on all 3 consoles might start to get pissed off.

-blank comment because the quote got messed up and I'm not about to try and change it-

this was amazing i will never play Brawl again thank you for saving me Sir. your work amazes me

Pages PREV 1 . . . 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here