Drawn By Pain: Episode One

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Episode One

In Episode One of Drawn by Pain, Young Emily draws to escape from the horrors of her life - until the horror comes to find her.

Watch Video

I really enjoyed this, the father had a furious moustashe. I know how long those animation bits must have taken and they look great, really add to the whole effect of the film. Looking forward to the next episode.

I really like this. I Hope it sticks around for a while. All That is missing is vampires.

Hrmh, little dark for my tastes, but undeniably good. Where the hell is the furniture though?

Hey hey, now this I like. Looking forward to your next episode. The look on the girls face during the transformation scene was great.

But on the directors commentary your sillyness goes a little overboard, one doesn't need to go completely bonkers.

That was pretty freaky. In a good way, tho'. It looked fairly well done, if ever so slightly cheesy. I'll look forward to the next episode.

Singing Gremlin:
Where the hell is the furniture though?

I think that was a reference to the Father and how he wouldn't support them.

It was interesting, but seemed very slow for a starting episode. The main character seems a little shallow, but we'll see how it goes.

That old man was a right bastard, I am glad the kid turned out to be a Pyslocke-like character. Though, I must be honest, this episode felt slow, like the origin story didn't need to drag on.

Liked the animation. It reminds me a bit of the ending part of heavy metal. I loved how it was very jerky and fluid at the same time.

Human Bomb:
Liked the animation. It reminds me a bit of the ending part of heavy metal. I loved how it was very jerky and fluid at the same time.

Funny you should say that - it was one of the inspirations for the look (badass chicks with swords always works for me). That and the "take on me Video" from the 80s were references.

Thanks for the thoughts Human!

-Jes

Dante_Alucard:
I really like this. I Hope it sticks around for a while. All That is missing is vampires.

Thanks Alucard! It's funny we have a friend who always asks for Zombies. The series is 12 parts and all of the pieces will be shown.

-Jes :)

Break:
That was pretty freaky. In a good way, tho'. It looked fairly well done, if ever so slightly cheesy. I'll look forward to the next episode.

Thanks Break!

-Jes

Ed_Winchester:
I really enjoyed this, the father had a furious moustashe. I know how long those animation bits must have taken and they look great, really add to the whole effect of the film. Looking forward to the next episode.

Thanks Ed! As the series progresses - the animation will get more intense as the character does as well. Look forward to your thoughts :)

-Jes

sammyfreak:
Hey hey, now this I like. Looking forward to your next episode. The look on the girls face during the transformation scene was great.

But on the directors commentary your sillyness goes a little overboard, one doesn't need to go completely bonkers.

Thanks Sammy! I am a bit bonkers - just try and stay grounded and have fun when I can :)

-Jes

Singing Gremlin:
Hrmh, little dark for my tastes, but undeniably good. Where the hell is the furniture though?

Thanks Gremlin! As this episode is told somewhat in a flashback of sorts (or prologue) - I decided to give the mood as surreal a feel as I could. Hopefully by removing some of the normal elements it helped create the mood.

-Jes

CanadianWolverine:
That old man was a right bastard, I am glad the kid turned out to be a Pyslocke-like character. Though, I must be honest, this episode felt slow, like the origin story didn't need to drag on.

Thanks for the thoughts Wolverine!

As this episode's incident is what the rest of the film/series hangs on - it had to contain a lot of info that will return later (especially in the emotional sense). I understand the comment completely but as a whole it was necessary (in my opinion) to pace it as such.

drawnbypain:

sammyfreak:

Thanks Sammy! I am a bit bonkers - just try and stay grounded and have fun when I can :)

-Jes

I guess so, but the stark contrast between the video and the commentary was a little jarring.

Okay, THAT was creepy. Domestic violence, adolescent homicide and rage-fueled anime alter-egos, all packed into an emo-flick. This is just about how much my brain could take in one run. I did saw Neon Genesis: Evangelion, and I though THAT was brainwashing, now I have doubts...

I get the shivers. If next episode will be this freaky, I go back to watch Naruto and Zero Punctuation, fo real.

Dante_Alucard:

Thanks Alucard! It's funny we have a friend who always asks for Zombies. The series is 12 parts and all of the pieces will be shown.

Well if you ever need a good vampire & zombie story. I got a few in the old filing cab nobody ever wanted to print.Maybe you could improve them

I've seen all the way to episode 11 of this series, i absolutely love it! I'm sad that its only 12 parts though. :(

I found this to be very high quality. I loved the second cop who talked. He was perfect. The acting in it was superb, and showed exelent use of silence. This is the kind of thing that I could analyze for English Class. It managed to hold my attention and keep me on the edge of my seat.

Just for kicks

18th!

Really nice work there drawnbypain, I'll be looking forward to this series. I enjoyed the music very much, and it fitted the mood and helped the story along. If your looking for original music in any other series you do, I'd be very interested in doing some for you.

the first episode of Drawn by Pain is definitely haunting - the story, the music, the characters.. it draws you in and makes you wonder what happens next. Looking forward to seeing up to Episode 11 again, and cannot wait for #12. The series logo on this site is really cool as well.. love it.

in all honesty i was quite confused and it didnt really grab my attention until the hacky slashy, that was cool.

I wouldn't trust that dude look at his mo

Haven't watched it all yet, bandwidth cap. The first few minutes put me off a bit though: teen angst dialogue, anytime a character says "but sometimes...just sometimes...' in voice over trouble's brewin'; really, really, -really- heavy handed (no pun intended) domestic violence backstory and music too. Ten seconds of that and we get it, really. Don't lay it out, weave it in. You don't have to underscore every little thing happy, sad, exciting either.
These points suggest a need for more faith in the story and the performances, and even the audience. I mean for the most part it looks like solid work, so take it easy.
Anyway there's probably no call for me being such a critic over gaming web site getting behind a web series probably not aimed at old farts, but I was in the mood. Good luck with it, will watch the rest soon.

Part of me loved Drawn By Pain from the first second; the other part of me that is the World of Darkness Storyteller kept wanting you to push forward: take this piece of art to the logical conclusion, which is pain, suffering and being alone even when the main character is surrounded by people. There's nothing worse than being able to do something really cool, yet being constantly reminded of the wrongness of it all.

Okay, the following things are going to come out as a ramble, since my head is swimming with ideas and thoughts right now, so bear with me...

You seem to be tapping into the same thoughts and feelings that I'm using for my Distant Echoes chronicle, which I have based off of Changeling: the Lost published by White Wolf. If you are not familiar with that game, then do yourself a favor and go google it. The stuff I have created with the help of that game is really dark, twisted, M-rated stuff, so I won't go into that too much.

However, in the abstract:

I love the way you use reality not as a constant, but as a shifting and mutable thing, which can be shaped by those with the ability to do so. Very Mage: the Awakening (another WW product). I like how imagination and hopes of release from the horrors that the little girl is experiencing are turned into a physical thing.

What I didn't like was abandoning the childhood. There's so much untapped terrain there to explore, and then you go do the time jump thing. Boom! "Now, 10 years later this young girl has mastered her abilities, and is a bloodied angel of vengeance. All evil-doers beware!"

Boring!

Okay, now, before you draw the logical conclusion from that last paragraph, I haven't actually made up my mind about your 12-part series. It has great potential. Like you, I really enjoy telling stories; like you I'm working by day to pay for my bills, living fairly comfortably and stuff like that...and then spending a lot of money and time on writing something that I can't legally make any money out of. It's cool, because I love what I'm doing, and while the audiences I cater to are far smaller the same basic analogy works just fine.

One of those things that I have been struggling with is how to tell a story about children in a world that is just as dark, gritty and ugly as the one you depict in Drawn By Pain. It's a world where children get hurt: they are molested and abused, and everyone knows that intellectually, because it's the way the real world works. However, knowing that children get hurt and actually role-playing through such scenes is two very different things. As a Storyteller I could depict such a scene through the use of NPCs (Non Player Characters), and the PCs (Player Characters) would, in most situations, intervene with extreme prejudice. That's fine, but the thought of putting the PCs into the role of being abused is a line that I have yet to cross, because the subject makes me feel uncomfortable.

This is, btw, the reason why I switched from 8 to 12-year old PCs to 15 to 20-year old PCs. It's just not happenstance late teens are favored as the heroes and heroines of books, movies and games - it's also ingrained into our basic understanding of humanity. Hurting children is bad.

Yet, products like World of Darkness: Innocents are pushing the limit, and interested in seeing someone take the next logical step. Explore the darkness of childhood through the eyes of someone, who is incapable of defending herself on most levels.

O', and then there's that one thing that I'm really interested in: what kind of damage did killing the Bad Man inflict on the girl? Because stuff like that doesn't just go away.

Telperion:
"Now, 10 years later this young girl has mastered her abilities, and is a bloodied angel of vengeance. All evil-doers beware!"

Boring!

O', and then there's that one thing that I'm really interested in: what kind of damage did killing the Bad Man inflict on the girl? Because stuff like that doesn't just go away.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and part of your story Telperion. Don't be so quick in assuming what the story will be without seeing the episodes that portray them first. I think it falls much more in line with your second line of thinking than it lets off in the end of episode 1. My feeling is - if it was all straightforward - it would be boring indeed. Thanks for taking the time and GL with your work! And I'm glad this got ya thinking!

Muzz:
Haven't watched it all yet, bandwidth cap.

I'm sad for your bandwidth cap. Hard to get into a story in two minute increments :(

-Jes

CloudoftheFallen:
Really nice work there drawnbypain, I'll be looking forward to this series. I enjoyed the music very much, and it fitted the mood and helped the story along. If your looking for original music in any other series you do, I'd be very interested in doing some for you.

Thanks Cloud! If I need more - I will for sure put the word out there :)

-Jes

Domdog:
I've seen all the way to episode 11 of this series, i absolutely love it! I'm sad that its only 12 parts though. :(

As am I - but with no end - I just don't feel like it would be complete :)

-Jes

good god damn, i didnt have any reason to make a file on "theescapist.com" cuz all i did was watch yahtzee's reviews, HOWEVER, i watched this and jeez, i nearly woke up the entire house when i fell off my chairs shocked at how much i really connected with this, it was amazing, if as was already pointed out, quite a bit cheesy...on a bit of a tangent, i cant help but notice that every single person named emily, always seems drawn to tragedy, hell, the first girl i ever fell for, i fell for hard, tragic childhood, mommy daddy issues, she died at 15, hit by a car. i guess thats why the story connects, damn good tho!

jockslap:
good god damn, i didnt have any reason to make a file on "theescapist.com" cuz all i did was watch yahtzee's reviews, HOWEVER, i watched this and jeez, i nearly woke up the entire house when i fell off my chairs shocked at how much i really connected with this, it was amazing, if as was already pointed out, quite a bit cheesy...on a bit of a tangent, i cant help but notice that every single person named emily, always seems drawn to tragedy, hell, the first girl i ever fell for, i fell for hard, tragic childhood, mommy daddy issues, she died at 15, hit by a car. i guess thats why the story connects, damn good tho!

Thanks J!

Glad you are digging it so far :)

-Jes

postin again, w/e, dont judge me ;P

really enjoying this, but i gotta say, this just can't be made up by some write who just sat in a room and thought, no, this has to be based on somebody's life, somebody's story.

{EDIT} also, f****** bench guy rules! (who i just found out is douglas)

jockslap:

really enjoying this, but i gotta say, this just can't be made up by some write who just sat in a room and thought, no, this has to be based on somebody's life, somebody's story.

Real-life experience: you can't beat that.

Besides, I have found that storytelling is a really healthy outlet for a lot of bad stuff.

telperion, best words that have ever been spoken....or in this case typed....ive got like 100 pounds of old journals and half written stories sittin in my closet, and yet i still cant get above 70% in my english classes...and i always really felt alot better, i guess its true, a few words stretched onto a page can mend a broken heart.

(i love being in such an artsy crowd)

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or