Drawn By Pain: Episode One

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

This is what :

The TV medium
Cinema
Games/escapist culture

needed the most.

I congradulate you, and demand the escapist pay you in super gold. And employment.

PS : Commentary was way too wacky. This isn't de-rez.

Telperion:
Part of me loved Drawn By Pain from the first second; the other part of me that is the World of Darkness Storyteller kept wanting you to push forward:

Tel :
Euthanatos / Primordial / Demeanour : Penitent / Nature : Caretaker

Arete:4 Prime:3 / Entropy: 4/ Life:2 / Forces:3

And all magic is considered coincidental because of the light show.

:)

Great idea: A girl using superhero-esque powers thanks to her ability to draw (outstandingly?!) well. As I said before: This looks like Penny Crayon on LSD. The very basic premise of the show works excellently well, and thus the creator must have put some real thought into that. But as to the way that the beginning of the story plays out? Supposedly 'adult' themes combined with amateur acting never really goes down well. The actual plot moved too slowly, and I felt like I was being created to a montage put together by a children's' charity on domestic abuse, rather than the beginnings of something to rival the likes of Supernatural or John Dies At The End.

Kudos for the idea and quality, though.

Melaisis:
Great idea: A girl using superhero-esque powers thanks to her ability to draw (outstandingly?!) well. As I said before: This looks like Penny Crayon on LSD. The very basic premise of the show works excellently well, and thus the creator must have put some real thought into that. But as to the way that the beginning of the story plays out? Supposedly 'adult' themes combined with amateur acting never really goes down well. The actual plot moved too slowly, and I felt like I was being created to a montage put together by a children's' charity on domestic abuse, rather than the beginnings of something to rival the likes of Supernatural or John Dies At The End
Kudos for the idea and quality, though..

Melaisis,

As the style of the rest of the series is a bit different than this episode - I humbly invite you to stick around and judge the whole rather than the parts, but of course appreciate your thoughts nonetheless :)

-Jes

Jackpot:
This is what :

The TV medium
Cinema
Games/escapist culture

needed the most.

I congradulate you, and demand the escapist pay you in super gold. And employment.

PS : Commentary was way too wacky. This isn't de-rez.

Thanks much Jackpot,

I'm glad you are digging it so far. As for the commentary - it's kind of me (on coffee) so not much I can do to change the tone - other than have an actor play me (couldn't pay anyone enough to do that!) Thanks for the kind words - made me smile :)

-Jes

Soulfein:
I found this to be very high quality. I loved the second cop who talked. He was perfect. The acting in it was superb, and showed exelent use of silence. This is the kind of thing that I could analyze for English Class. It managed to hold my attention and keep me on the edge of my seat.

Just for kicks

18th!

Thanks Soulfein!!

-Jes

Playbahnosh:
Okay, THAT was creepy. Domestic violence, adolescent homicide and rage-fueled anime alter-egos, all packed into an emo-flick. This is just about how much my brain could take in one run. I did saw Neon Genesis: Evangelion, and I though THAT was brainwashing, now I have doubts...

I get the shivers. If next episode will be this freaky, I go back to watch Naruto and Zero Punctuation, fo real.

The next episode and the ones that follow are a bit less montage driven. I wanted to have this episode have a visceral experience and try to visually live through the little girls eyes which can be a bit painful for some of those watching (no pun intended). What I wanted to do with DBP is take chances even knowing that some people might have a strong reaction to it. Glad to hear you have so far :)

-Jes

*two thumbs up*

A bit weird, and a bit too drawn out for me - but still looking forward to the next episode to see where it goes.

BTW, what is the link between this video and the escapist?
Is the video based on any game or is the escapist hoping to expand into the you-tube arena?

This is one of the best videos I have seen on the internet. Ever. Instantly drew me in and now I can't wait to see the rest of the series. Sets a new standard for production values in terms of the indie internet crowd, on par with many feature-length films. I felt the father figure was a little two-dimensional, a little too inexplicably evil, but I'm hoping his motivation is fleshed out as the series continues.

Hmmm I'm of two minds about this.

First thought whilst watching was "Whoa, THIS is on theescapist.com?", but only 'cause the tone was so different by everything on this site.

But this is the thing for me: It did drama very well and I liked how she escaped her surroundings by drawing. However, when the leap forward happened It was a bit of a "huh" moment.

You did drama brilliantly. It was slightly drawn out but it made me feel for the characters so that was good. But now it seems like this is turning into an action heroine series? I mean come on!

If this was a standalone short film and you ended on her walking out of the house and her eyes flashing it would've won any competition.

I'm rambling, but you get my drift.

Logie--bear:
Hmmm I'm of two minds about this.

First thought whilst watching was "Whoa, THIS is on theescapist.com?", but only 'cause the tone was so different by everything on this site.

But this is the thing for me: It did drama very well and I liked how she escaped her surroundings by drawing. However, when the leap forward happened It was a bit of a "huh" moment.

You did drama brilliantly. It was slightly drawn out but it made me feel for the characters so that was good. But now it seems like this is turning into an action heroine series? I mean come on!

If this was a standalone short film and you ended on her walking out of the house and her eyes flashing it would've won any competition.

I'm rambling, but you get my drift.

Thanks Logie!

Without spoiling the rest of the series, all I can say is everything ties into itself. I look foward to hearing your thoughts and seeing if they match your projections of what's to come.

-Jes :)

cosmolu:
This is one of the best videos I have seen on the internet. Ever. Instantly drew me in and now I can't wait to see the rest of the series. Sets a new standard for production values in terms of the indie internet crowd, on par with many feature-length films. I felt the father figure was a little two-dimensional, a little too inexplicably evil, but I'm hoping his motivation is fleshed out as the series continues.

Thanks Cosmolu! Very nice of you to say indeed.

-Jes

I thought this was great. You should put it together into a full length movie when you're finished and I'd pay to see it. I have a few questions but I'm hoping that they'll be answered by further installments. Looking forward to episode two for sure.

That was really emotional! I like those darkminded storys that are halfway remembering us that there are others out there who haven't all that luck that a normal unconflicted beeing like us has.

I love it emotional.

My second thougth about that geat creation is that it remind me to some of those depressive or dark animes (or OVAs or whatever ^^ not that important) especially with that dramatic, slow rythm in music and picture.
The good thing is that it isn't hard to see a meaning or let me say an motivation of your story, something where some of those animes lack, at least to my non-japanese mind. ^^

But my main thougth is that i really liked and emotionaly (i know i said it already) enjoyed this movie from an non-critical, more movie-fan view.

i am looking forward to more of this kind and if this story. Kee up the good work and with that my enjoyment.

Felix

I've been lucky enough to know of Jesse's work for a while, and it's always great to see another new audience exposed to his way of film making. It's been awhile since I saw the first episode, and it still grabs me by the balls every time.

Hamster at Dawn:
I thought this was great. You should put it together into a full length movie when you're finished and I'd pay to see it. I have a few questions but I'm hoping that they'll be answered by further installments. Looking forward to episode two for sure.

Thanks Hampster!

When it is completed (soon) - it will become a feature film and put on a DVD I'm sure. Really glad you are enjoying it :)

-Jes

felixader:
That was really emotional! I like those darkminded storys that are halfway remembering us that there are others out there who haven't all that luck that a normal unconflicted beeing like us has.

I love it emotional.

My second thougth about that geat creation is that it remind me to some of those depressive or dark animes (or OVAs or whatever ^^ not that important) especially with that dramatic, slow rythm in music and picture.
The good thing is that it isn't hard to see a meaning or let me say an motivation of your story, something where some of those animes lack, at least to my non-japanese mind. ^^

But my main thougth is that i really liked and emotionaly (i know i said it already) enjoyed this movie from an non-critical, more movie-fan view.

i am looking forward to more of this kind and if this story. Kee up the good work and with that my enjoyment.

Felix

Thanks Felix. We went for something highly emotionally charged and always like to hear that someone felt a bit for what they were watching. :)

-Jes

Very good. I look forward to the rest of the season.
I noticed the video stalling every now and again, was that artistic or a flash playing up?

One problem I do have with it however is the "Next time onDrawn by Pain" (this is a problem I have with The Sarah Connor Chronicles as well), you don't need to vocalise the italics, to be honest I think the voice over on "Next time on" should be toned down a fair bit. Too much Oomph and it just not needed.

I just watched this and registered to give my opinion.

I'm pleasantly surprised to see something independent like this come together on the internet. It's reassuring to know that we don't need greedy producers to create our media outlets.

But despite that I have to admit that I didn't like Drawn by Pain. What seemed to me, a project almost entirely reliant on visuals (the intense violence of spousal abuse, the girls imaginary paper world) was weighted down (heavily) by clichéd and unnecessary monologue and constant intruding music.

Let the visuals speak for themselves; don't use VO and music to tell the viewer how to feel. What's going on in front of the camera is horrific, use THAT to build tension. I think if you cut this together differently you might significantly improve this movie.

Fantastic, really liked it. Looking forward to the next episode!

God damn you people. As a schizophrenic, I can safely say that you people suck for keeping the stereotype. You realize that not all of us go crazy and kill people, right? Seriously. FUCK YOU.

So wait. Does this mean I can make a short series about a black kid, joining a gang and eating watermelon?

That was cool... sort of like live action anime, both in the effect, and direction... and story... looking forward to more!!

i got to say...
what the hell was i watching? it was pretty strange, i mean chopping a dudes arm off with an imaginary sword is kinda... freaky
i like de-rez better ^^

Sinoda:
God damn you people. As a schizophrenic, I can safely say that you people suck for keeping the stereotype. You realize that not all of us go crazy and kill people, right? Seriously. FUCK YOU.

So wait. Does this mean I can make a short series about a black kid, joining a gang and eating watermelon?

lol, sinoda speaks the truth!
and if they can make a thing like drawn by pain then go ahead with your idea if you want to

I registered to this site simply to post how bad this series is.

I've watched both episodes, and I can't help but get away from the fact that the camera operator seems to have graduated from the school of completely unnecessary and distracting camera angles.

The acting of the father looks completely unnatural, the movements are robotic and fake looking. The dialogue is pretty bad and the cursing is completely unnecessary.

Where is the furniture in this house? If this is where people live it's a pretty drab place..

I know these comments will piss someone off and they'll try to correct me, so please save yourself and simply don't do it. They'll call me out asking who am I, I have no right to say these things, and I will not justify why I'm in the position to make these criticisms.

I'll leave it at that, take this with some sort of seriousness.

Joos:
Fantastic, really liked it. Looking forward to the next episode!

Thx Joos - glad you enjoyed it. :)

-Jes

mlk:
Very good. I look forward to the rest of the season.
I noticed the video stalling every now and again, was that artistic or a flash playing up?

One problem I do have with it however is the "Next time onDrawn by Pain" (this is a problem I have with The Sarah Connor Chronicles as well), you don't need to vocalise the italics, to be honest I think the voice over on "Next time on" should be toned down a fair bit. Too much Oomph and it just not needed.

Thx for the thoughts mlk! Much appreciated :)

-Jes

Very Impressive!

Looking forward to future episodes

I am remined of anime, and not because of the drawings.

This is the perfect example of every lame, emo, shitty-anime-drawing devianTartlet's fantasy: "Don't fuck with me or I'll kill you with my mind powers. No seriously guys! Why are you laughing at me... ;_;"

I can't say I personally connect with the story but I still feel I can appreciate it and the attention to detail that was put into it. The missing furniture, the surrealistic camera work, and the concept of the cartoon and real world mixing together yet remaining separate were really very intriguing. I have to say this is one of the best bits of dark heroism (or is it heroin-ism?) that I have seen in a long time. Really loved it. Can't wait to watch more.

jockslap:
good god damn, i didnt have any reason to make a file on "theescapist.com" cuz all i did was watch yahtzee's reviews, HOWEVER, i watched this and jeez, i nearly woke up the entire house when i fell off my chairs shocked at how much i really connected with this, it was amazing, if as was already pointed out, quite a bit cheesy...on a bit of a tangent, i cant help but notice that every single person named emily, always seems drawn to tragedy, hell, the first girl i ever fell for, i fell for hard, tragic childhood, mommy daddy issues, she died at 15, hit by a car. i guess thats why the story connects, damn good tho!

what, do you have some sort of physical ailment that causes you to fall off chairs? also, do you sit on multiple chairs at once? maybe you're so morbidly obese that you caused the multiple chairs you were sitting on to give way and collapse.

And are you certain that she was hit by a car? Maybe you just landed on her when you "fell for her hard" What are you, a necrophiliac? You make me sick.

Well, I'm a latecomer to the series, and considering how that video had me glued to the screen it really is inexcusable. And to think I dismissed this because I only wanted to see funny shorts. I'm ashamed of myself.

Keep up the excellent work, and scratch another notch onto your belt, because I am now a fan. You must go through a lot of belts.

Copter400:
Well, I'm a latecomer to the series, and considering how that video had me glued to the screen it really is inexcusable. And to think I dismissed this because I only wanted to see funny shorts. I'm ashamed of myself.

Keep up the excellent work, and scratch another notch onto your belt, because I am now a fan. You must go through a lot of belts.

Thanks Copter- made me smile :)

-Jes

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook