150: Cyberpunked: the Fall of Black9

Cyberpunked: the Fall of Black9

"When Majesco shut down Taldren Inc. in 2003, illegally attempted to recruit talent away from the studio and stole source code using planted 'assistant' developers, I asked everyone I knew to never touch anything with a Majesco logo on it again.

"This is a story about big against small, about corporate espionage and a man-child producer with a thing for Stevie Case. This is a story I have been waiting years to tell."

Read Full Article

Incredible story. I knew that video game development is of high pressure, but not as scummy.
Is there any chance even the incomplete build can be found? I highly doubt it, but one lives in hope. The previews for it did look good.

What the hell was it that Stevie Case did anyways? Wasn't she a level designer or soemthing?

A few years ago, I somehow remembered about the previews I saw for this game and wondered what exactly had happened to it. After looking for a while on the internet all I found out was that it had been cancelled. Now I know... I didn't realise that kind of thing happened in the games industry, although that was probably naive of me. It's sad we'll never get to play it because of those underhand methods. Complete respect to Taldren's founders for preventing Majesco stealing the game from them; a very brave decision.

wow, just wow. that was a truly epic peice of writing. im stunned at how attached one can be to a project and im saddened by the idea of these many games that almost were. it must feel very similar to having a miscarriage in the third trimester. losing something you worked so hard on and became so attached to. its a damn shame that the world never got to experience Black9. maybe put that final build out on the internet? id love to play it even if its not completed yet. i think it would be amazing if you managed to share this project with the world.

Its disturbing how soemhting can fail to exist like that. Can be killed. That was a great article.

A lot of metaphorical throats get cut to bring us our games.

josh797:
wow, just wow. that was a truly epic peice of writing. im stunned at how attached one can be to a project and im saddened by the idea of these many games that almost were. it must feel very similar to having a miscarriage in the third trimester. losing something you worked so hard on and became so attached to. its a damn shame that the world never got to experience Black9. maybe put that final build out on the internet? id love to play it even if its not completed yet. i think it would be amazing if you managed to share this project with the world.

Quote of the day.

This feels weird. I feel... sad. Horrified. But... graaah. At least we now know what happened.

Likewise, I feel a bit of sympathetic nausea that such a labor of love could be stolen from you, with no realistic recourse against the thieves. It's kind of haunting how I can vaguely recall hearing the name from the gaming magazines back then.

Besides spreading this story as much as possible, I second the notion of posting the finished 85% online rather than let it fade into obscurity. Phenomenon like Linux or (pre-Steam) Counterstrike have shown how powerful of an impact a freely-available product can have, and I'm sure there are modders who would love to contribute to a project with so much potential. What better 'revenge' than to make Black9 into something more that Majesco could have ever accomplished?

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 50918)