Zero Punctuation: Painkiller

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Painkiller Overdose was like, a user mod that was just very well done so it was put on digital distribution stores and a few copies were sent to places like gamestop - but it still wasn't as good as the first painkiller, but if Yahtzee ever reviews that, then you'll know why, and laugh at the same time.

Also I think it's funny that no one was offended by "Evil Dead for those of you who are American, and fat!"

I wonder what Yahtzee thinks of Thief? Personally I can't stand games where you just mindless kill enemies than it feels too much like a game....

AJwins:

ElArabDeMagnifico:
As one of the first few to post in this thread, I would like to establish some "implied yet unwritten" rules/guidelines, because I'm not a mod and I don't expect everyone to follow these, but for the greater good of this thread, PLEASE follow them as best as you can! -and Remember, I am condemning out of love, not hate (sort of)

• NO ASS KISSING! Yahtzee hates it when people call flawed work flawless, so give the guy some criticism, it's the best thing an artist can get.
  • No flaming either! If you disagree with Yahtzee, say why, and then criticize him, preferably constructively.
  • NO ONE POST WONDERS! IF YOU ARE GOING TO REGISTER JUST TO SAY 'LOL YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD, GOOD JOB! BEST ONE YET! LOLOLOOLLOLOLOLOL OR ANYTHING OF THAT NATURE....DON'T! If you register, make your post worthwhile, because one post wonders have an opinion that is worth practically NOTHING, if you make an account, browse the other forums, or just do something other than kiss Yahtzee's ass!
  • SERIOUSLY! NO ASS KISSING!
  • The Ass kissers are worse than the flamers, the flamers still actually contribute by giving (whether it be good or bad) criticism, ass kissers just make the thread grow until it bursts with bile! DON'T DO IT!

Thanks for listening! Chances are this will be completely ignored anyway! Happy posting!

Yeah, because a non-mod posting "What not to do or you'll piss off Yahtzee" isn't kissing any ass at all.

My sentiments exactly

true.... nothing better than shurikens and lightning

MUSIC in Painkiller ROX!! it isn't a pop bullshit =] - \m/ ROCK \m/

Winchester cathedral again?? Boy, do I feel special :D
    Anybody else go back and watch Intro Sequence Theater again?

MOAR, PLS.

I am waiting for Yahtzee to review a Shin Megami Tensei game, either one where the world gets destroyed in the first hour of the game, young school children shoot themselves in the head constantly, or a demon eats your mom and talks about how good she tasted.

Update: I just finished it and the ending causes me to forgive the rest of the plot for everything. Seriously, that's awesome.

Also, love how it has a sort of integrated "new game+" option, letting you go back and clear old levels/unlock bonuses with your new gear AND carry your loot over to harder difficulties.

Actually Painkiller is up on one of the news tabs in Steam right now with a quote from Yahtzee saying "All you need to know is a gun that shoots shurikens and lightning"

But yeah, kind of an oldschool game now, and the graphics are nothing to get excited about, but having shittons of ammo and baddies for days to blow away is fun and at times is all you need. No need to deal with all the leet speak kiddies in CS who have been training where you will run to and how grenades bounce for the past couple years and you have no chance of killing them.

Magnetic2:
    I am waiting for Yahtzee to review a Shin Megami Tensei game, either one where the world gets destroyed in the first hour of the game, young school children shoot themselves in the head constantly, or a demon eats your mom and talks about how good she tasted.

Yeah, but does that cancel the fact that it is still a JRPG? I have heard of the game, and its an interesting tweak on one of the old JRPG cliches, but it still falls into the problems of the others.

hey yahtzee, i dig your work. is there any way you can put up an rss feed of zero punctuation?

ElArabDeMagnifico:
    Painkiller Overdose was like, a user mod that was just very well done so it was put on digital distribution stores and a few copies were sent to places like gamestop - but it still wasn't as good as the first painkiller, but if Yahtzee ever reviews that, then you'll know why, and laugh at the same time.

Also I think it's funny that no one was offended by "Evil Dead for those of you who are American, and fat!"

Not sure if youre referring to the previous poster about an expansion or not, but there is an acutal expansion to the first, not a mod-turned-sequel, called Battle Out of Hell. It has some extra levels and 2 new guns and comes with the game if you get it from Steam (Gold edition, though in-game its called Black Edition).

One interesting bug I found though: Once you get all the original weapons, you for some reason automatically get the two expansion pack weapons even if you haven't been on it. You get no starting ammo and theres no ammo pickups but the large all-weapon ammo packs supply them as well as your standard ones.

fat american:

My sentiments exactly

A bit late to the party there.

I didn't stop laughing all the way through. :D I reckon this is one of the best reviews.

And, damn, now I want to play that game! Games where the chief objective is kill-a-lot-of-dudes have to be the best. Especially when you can do it with a gun that shoots-- well, Yahtzee's tone said it best-- SHIRUKENS AND LIGHTNING. \o/

i don't think i'll get the game, to quote an internet friend of mine: "The game is awesome early on when you are killing weak enemies with awesome guns, but its not so fun when the invincible juggernauts come at you from all directions"

Indigo_Dingo:

Hungryfreak:
    Oh, come on, Yahtzee. You have the game Painkiller and you don't use Judas Priest's Painkiller as the intro? Haha.

Either its too obvious, or he's not hard enough to handle it. Well, as Heath Franklin would put it, he'd better harden the fuck up, at least in time to review Brutal Legend.

I kinda wonder what sort of music Yahtzee may be into, every week he puts up two songs to go with his vids but he can't seriously be a fan of all of 'em. Green Day? Yahtzee for shame :). Well, at least he put up a song from the Specials once. It was "Ghost Town" wasn't it? One of the best two-tone bands ever put together. "Painkiller" might've been too obvious but perhapse more memorable. I don't even remember the songs he put up in the first place.

he usually uses songs that their name is obviously related to the subject matter, i think he just searches titles or something

ElArabDeMagnifico:

It's "Dead Alive". Great gorefest zombie movie, go rent it. I think it was Peter Jackson's 1st film.

That's what I figured. I particularly enjoyed the "Two little boys" for the Army of Two Review. I wet meself.

ElArabDeMagnifico:

and I believe you're right about no one caring. I think most of us are savvy to the fact that yatzee makes his living by being a twat much like that cunt from hell's kitchen so I think we all just might be alright with it by now. I wish I had Mr. Croshaws' Job, instead of cooking fancypants crap for fancypants sphincter-rings who think I'm beneath them cos I'm not stuffing my face with cute-assembled bits of partially cooked animal flesh and am instead making it for the thankless twats.
    Be blessed

ElArabDeMagnifico:

fat american:

My sentiments exactly

better late than never.

conqueror Kenny:

ElArabDeMagnifico:

fat american:

My sentiments exactly

better late than never.

LOL Look at the first page, even a mod misunderstood me AND it took this long for him to say something.

I guess everything I post is worthless if it isn't on the first page. I can't exactly "pretend to be a mod" when I say "I'm not a mod - but it would be nice if.." - now if I said "everyone listen to me I have authority and you don't" then I guess it would make sense.

ElArabDeMagnifico:

I guess everything I post is worthless if it isn't on the first page. I can't exactly "pretend to be a mod" when I say "I'm not a mod - but it would be nice if.." - now if I said "everyone listen to me I have authority and you don't" then I guess it would make sense.

And carry a nightstick, or a ban cannon :)

Bridgetbracer:
    he usually uses songs that their name is obviously related to the subject matter, i think he just searches titles or something

Not really. The titles are related, but in a relatively cryptic manner. A search engine couldn't do it. Like Civil War with Call of Duty?

I dont know if anyone has already said this before me (And I'm not gonna search through all 340 comments to check) but Painkiller and its expansion is now available for download via Steam thanks to Yahtzee's review. They even quote him in the advert they have on the mainpage.
    "All you really need to know is that there is a gun that shoots shurikens and lightening"
    Wonder if they got permission to use it ^_^
    Anyways I saw the trailer for it and am already downloading the demo through steam. But it's on sale for only $10 U.S. So I'll probably buy it anyways. That and Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl.

The_root_of_all_evil:

ElArabDeMagnifico:

And carry a nightstick, or a ban cannon :)

As long as no banballs are fired it will be fine.

Ok I just played the Demo of Painkiller and I have to say "OMFG WOOT" in stupid l33t kiddy speech. Cause thats what this game instills in me ^_^ That kiddy level brutality and excitement for pure carnage and non stop action. Its like Doom but with more BALLS! ^_^
    So buying this game through Steam. Thankyou Yahtzee for reviewing this gem!

Bridgetbracer:
    i don't think i'll get the game, to quote an internet friend of mine: "The game is awesome early on when you are killing weak enemies with awesome guns, but its not so fun when the invincible juggernauts come at you from all directions"

Soul Collections don't make it any different? You have to use Black Tarrot cards right too.

What I think is funny, is that the hardest boss is the first one.

ElArabDeMagnifico:

Bridgetbracer:

Soul Collections don't make it any different? You have to use Black Tarrot cards right too.

He could kill you by tripping over, I sure hope they get easier.

Indigo_Dingo:

ElArabDeMagnifico:

Bridgetbracer:

You guys are spoiled ^_^ Whats the point of playing a game that ISNT a challenge? Most games these days are dumbed down for people and made easier cause they keep complaining that its too hard. Pathetic. Grow some balls people and WORK for your acheivements in games ^_^
    I'm playing Painkiller on its hardest setting and though its tough as hell I'm really enjoying myself.

ElArabDeMagnifico:

Bridgetbracer:

I found Alastor to be way harder. I killed Necrogiant first try and in enough time to get the tarot card.

Easiest boss has to be the end boss. I was kinda disappointed there.

Kyouki1980:
    You guys are spoiled ^_^ Whats the point of playing a game that ISNT a challenge? Most games these days are dumbed down for people and made easier cause they keep complaining that its too hard. Pathetic. Grow some balls people and WORK for your acheivements in games ^_^ I'm playing Painkiller on its hardest setting and though its tough as hell I'm really enjoying myself.

If you want a challenge, try getting the black tarot card from the "City on Water" level. That was a pain in the ass.

Also, once you're done nightmare, try out trauma difficulty. No souls, no morphing, tougher enemies, no quicksaves. Only advantage is you can keep your cards.

Indigo_Dingo:

Magnetic2:

Yeah, but does that cancel the fact that it is still a JRPG? I have heard of the game, and its an interesting tweak on one of the old JRPG cliches, but it still falls into the problems of the others.

How?

fat american:

AJwins:

ElArabDeMagnifico:
    As one of the first few to post in this thread, I would like to establish some "implied yet unwritten" rules/guidelines, because I'm not a mod and I don't expect everyone to follow these, but for the greater good of this thread, PLEASE follow them as best as you can! -and Remember, I am condemning out of love, not hate (sort of)

• NO ASS KISSING! Yahtzee hates it when people call flawed work flawless, so give the guy some criticism, it's the best thing an artist can get.
  • No flaming either! If you disagree with Yahtzee, say why, and then criticize him, preferably constructively.
  • NO ONE POST WONDERS! IF YOU ARE GOING TO REGISTER JUST TO SAY 'LOL YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD, GOOD JOB! BEST ONE YET! LOLOLOOLLOLOLOLOL OR ANYTHING OF THAT NATURE....DON'T! If you register, make your post worthwhile, because one post wonders have an opinion that is worth practically NOTHING, if you make an account, browse the other forums, or just do something other than kiss Yahtzee's ass!
  • SERIOUSLY! NO ASS KISSING!
  • The Ass kissers are worse than the flamers, the flamers still actually contribute by giving (whether it be good or bad) criticism, ass kissers just make the thread grow until it bursts with bile! DON'T DO IT!

Thanks for listening! Chances are this will be completely ignored anyway! Happy posting!

Yeah, because a non-mod posting "What not to do or you'll piss off Yahtzee" isn't kissing any ass at all.

My sentiments exactly

I thought the exact same thing.

I guess that it was cool that Yahtzee reviewed an older game that he actually liked.

Kyouki1980:

Indigo_Dingo:

ElArabDeMagnifico:

Bridgetbracer:

You guys are spoiled ^_^ Whats the point of playing a game that ISNT a challenge? Most games these days are dumbed down for people and made easier cause they keep complaining that its too hard. Pathetic. Grow some balls people and WORK for your acheivements in games ^_^
    I'm playing Painkiller on its hardest setting and though its tough as hell I'm really enjoying myself.

There's a difference between a challenge and impossible. If you must do it in a choreographed manner that you can only acheive by looking on gamefaqs, then its too hard.

Yahtzee, I have to agree with you here. This is a CLASSIC style shooter so to speak. Go in, kill stuff, and keep killing stuff. Not to mention it's bloody. It may be considered "Bad" cause it doesn't have a story. Don't get me wrong, sometimes a story can make or break a game. But this isn't one of those games that you need a story for. My version of the story, "Your in hell, you got guns, now get the HELL out alive." I kinda thought Doom 3 was brilliant though, so I have to disagree with that analogy of it not being a true successor to the Doom series. It made me freak out (perhaps too much at times) just like the old games did when I was little. There were still secret places to access, there were still plenty of monsters to kill, and the story I BELIEVE actually added to the game in this case. The voice acting was good, the dialog was believable, and it helped me get into the atmosphere of the game, which a believe that's what a story is supposed to do. Still, kudos for giving this unrecognized gem recognition it needed.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
    With Facebook:Login With Facebook
    or
    Username:  
    Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
    Register With Facebook
    Register With Facebook
    or
    Registered for a free account here